Author Topic: You want a new and better server?  (Read 5426 times)

Offline Ruchmathar

You want a new and better server?
« on: October 01, 2006, 07:08:57 am »
Demanding better servers and whining about it doesn't get things done. That's why I started making images for RPGWO, because I knew I could make better ones than were already there (at least in some cases, Rummager and others did a good job, no offense there).

So you think you can do it better or think you know some people to form a good team, go on!
All you need is someone as a lead designer that has the last word in what gets added and how things get done, a lead artist that sets the standards for images and coordinates the artists / does the majority of images and a lead programmer that coordinates/does the coding of the inis. Single people can double with those jobs but a divided workload in a good coordinated team is (unsurprisingly) more efficient in getting things done. And giving every person a certain job keeps bickering and confusion to a minimum as everyone has a specific purpose in the project and authority in his area of expertise.

I am pretty tied up now in the Games Design course and the little time I can (want to) invest in RPGWO goes to the Primordia server idea I am working on. Jon is intending to host that server once it gets finished to a playable level, which will most likely take months, so don't hold your breath (sorry to those who expected othervise).
But I do have some 'leftover' ideas I can throw in andI think I am quite capable of coming up with quite a few ideas/concepts/cenarios if someone needs help in this department.

I'll attach a couple of word files with some more or less coherent stuff I once made up for the old Nulona.
(when real life issues forced me away and kept me from enforcing the realisation of those ideas and rhaorth scrapped the nulona in favour of a simulation server which she scrapped, too, bringing me to be mod on ST, then admin on luny, which UT scrapped, causing insurmountable disagreements with both rha and UT, which got me banned on arca and later on Nulona after ST got scrapped)

Anyways, use this stuff at your leisure, I have no more use for them anyways and if you have questions about certain parts of the notes or are in need of some brainstormed ideas, just ask and I'll see what I can do.
No Mercy for the Cruel

Offline Crack Pipe

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 09:35:32 am »
cool

Offline The Muffin Man

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 11:02:24 pm »
If I had a better internet I probably would have... I've been toying with the .ini's to make them similar to conquer online (+1s adding better attack, etc.--- item qualitys such as elite and super to give it even better attack) But it'd take years to complete .ini for that.. because you have to code the normal item, the normal item +1 through +9, then code the qualitys, then code the qualitys with +.. i'm saying thats about  30 or so edits just to make 1 item.. not only that, youd also have to code the in item USED to upgrade quality, so then youd have to code in upping +1 through +9 AGAIN, and then code the qualitys, code the normals, and code the qualitys with +es..

So lets re-count that your looking around 50 item codings just for 1 item to be put into the game. if you did one a day, it'd take MONTHS to complete it. and not only then, when you code in new items, you have to go through the SAME process all over again.. so yeah, making a server isn't all that easy.. most lazy bums just take the default and play it, like i did :/

I never thought about using density calculations to make it more realistic though.. sort of interesting.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 11:03:46 pm by The Muffin Man »

Offline Zoex

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 05:32:50 am »
I just want to run a good modern server. Especially now since we have a average player base of about 4 across the worlds (The current modern server has an average base of 0).

I have been making all new images for everything, thinking of event ideas, and re-writing the ini files. But all that will be for nothing if Mick won't let me host.

Still have not been able to contact him, closest i've got was an answering machine.

For some reason I doubt Jon would even bother helping me.

Offline Corrupt Cham

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 06:20:28 am »
Jon Pwns Joo
LvL 90 X-bower phobs (retired)

LvL 59 Dagger  Steeltide (retired)

LvL  68 X-bower Shadow (retired)

LvL 72 Rifle Arc2  Different name (Curenssy was name) (retired) Highest lvl ever on an Arc server

LvL 91 Thrower 2nd Shadow (retired)  Also Shadow Admin:) (retired) (Thanks Jon and Rav)

Admin on Oceanic (retired)  
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Admin 3rd Shadow (retired) LvL 92 Thrower (retired)
                                                                                                                                                            Most Saved Spendable ever on a char in rpgwo history 256mil saved spendy that was on my Arc2 char i got Screeny :)  

lvl 70 human mage w0w stormreaver pvp server Corruptcham is name

Offline Ruchmathar

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 11:37:28 am »
Zoex, you can try and ask Jon about it. As Mickey will not give you server access you will need either Mickey, UT or Jon to do the updates. And if you are willing to host the server yourself and if it is unique enough Jon might be willing to do the occassional update for your server and get it on the connect list. If you don't try, you have already lost.
No Mercy for the Cruel

Offline The Muffin Man

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 03:48:17 pm »
'Tis true.. Mickey won't give you server access for nothing unless you pay for hosting :/

Offline Zoex

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 11:09:12 pm »
Thing is, my idea is not unique, it is very simple. Just an honest well ran modern server (unique among the current servers).

I have allready stated that I am ready and willing to dish out the $150 a month to run it.

Of course advertising honesty and such won't get the attention of Mick, and speaking of it on a UT ran world earns you a ban.

Got MSN Ruch?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 11:09:36 pm by Zoex »

Offline kretchfoop

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 11:33:15 pm »
Ruch, i admire what you put into this game, along with you zoex.  2 good guys that try to make a decent game even better.

instead of bitching bout it's problems they do their effort to fix them.

Offline King Dravien

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 03:50:00 am »
Either way, Ruch's server is long in the making and Zoex's quest for a server is useless.
RPGWO:
Lvl 91 Staff - Steeltide
Lvl 97 Crossbow - Nulona
Lvl 47 Thrower - Shadow
Lvl 61 Axe - Ataxia
Lvl 82 Staff - Asylum
Lvl 94 Halberd - Nexus
Lvl 82 Shockwave Cannon - Future
Lvl 66 Stealth Xbow - Carnage

Offline Zoex

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 08:38:24 am »
See new topic for response.

Offline King Dravien

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 09:20:56 am »
Ermm.
RPGWO:
Lvl 91 Staff - Steeltide
Lvl 97 Crossbow - Nulona
Lvl 47 Thrower - Shadow
Lvl 61 Axe - Ataxia
Lvl 82 Staff - Asylum
Lvl 94 Halberd - Nexus

Offline Pirate Wings

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 10:26:58 am »
all i can do is make water move, wanan know how to do that let me know
This isn't a signature, you just think it is

Offline The Muffin Man

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2006, 11:54:29 am »
Only problem with that foop, is that Mickey doesn't LISTEN.

Offline King Dravien

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2006, 02:58:48 am »
Basically yea...

Sorry for double post

i just read the story thing all the way through and it seems cool
RPGWO:
Lvl 91 Staff - Steeltide
Lvl 97 Crossbow - Nulona
Lvl 47 Thrower - Shadow
Lvl 61 Axe - Ataxia
Lvl 82 Staff - Asylum
Lvl 94 Halberd - Nexus

Offline Axeman

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2006, 07:51:27 pm »
Ruch wins, for once anyway, all of my bitching along with everybody elses is pointless.  I agree, if I had the time, the will, and the care I would offer money and my 'skills' to a server, but RPGWO is dead.  Mickey refuses to even attempt to promote it, let alone log on to it anymore..when's the last time anyone has seen Mickey on again?

Ruch and others, I just admitted my bitching is pointless, but don't bother.  Jon is the only one who remotely cares and still he refuses to follow through on his own server ideas (Oceanic anyone?) let alone somebody he barely knows (atleast I don't think he knows you much Zoex) and update it 'constantly'.

I'm still rather confused as to why we all still post here.

Offline Zoex

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2006, 08:59:02 pm »
Because we all badly want to play a good server again.

Offline The Muffin Man

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2006, 07:47:26 am »
Or because there's nowhere else to go to talk to people we knew from the game  besides msn, but meh.

Offline King Dravien

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2006, 08:08:10 am »
Because everybody likes waiting for delayed reactions in posts!
RPGWO:
Lvl 91 Staff - Steeltide
Lvl 97 Crossbow - Nulona
Lvl 47 Thrower - Shadow
Lvl 61 Axe - Ataxia
Lvl 82 Staff - Asylum
Lvl 94 Halberd - Nexus

Offline Grinch

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2006, 01:19:54 pm »