Author Topic: If you were a server..  (Read 5063 times)

Offline Daegan

If you were a server..
« on: July 16, 2006, 05:42:43 am »
I'm curious (this isnt related to the LFM post) what you all would do if you could make a server.. would it be free (lib style) event driven (rofl like thered be a server with an active admin team to do this) or chaotic (hellborn)?

personally i miss liberty and the freedom it brought. I miss that you could sit stealthed in town and shank bitches for hourssss. I wonder how many share this view? How many of you hate what Mick has turned RPGWO into? THEME WORLDS ARE NOT THE ANSWER.

I hate that every world since lib was removed from the list has had a dead admin team. Sure.. admin whats his monkey added this quest that one time a year ago.. get a grip. Wheres the quality control? wheres the team that strives to make a server better?

I hate that ST was turned into a 'softcore' liberty. I hate that the only thing that can compete with the freedom experienced with remotely the same gameplay is Shadow (not that theres much wrong with it..)

I miss wars brought on by guilds. Coalition/Nameless vs TDK in Lib/Steeltide were the best. Nothing like camping people in their own guild house.. But I wonder if anyone is left that have the drive to make this game something?

Are theme worlds really what the players want..? Worlds that you have to be floating on a board just to muck around? God I hope not. I hope there is still some saving grace for this game.

The real question is what is the communities opinions on what all of this has become?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 05:44:07 am by Daegan »

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T CLICK ME
IT is 10% planning and 90% trying to fix everything that didn’t go as planned.

Offline Metrosh

If you were a server..
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 06:40:00 am »
The people with the drive and will to make it better aren't the ones who get to run servers.

I agree totally

Free/Event Would be nice
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 06:40:49 am by Metrosh »
Bitchin'.

Offline Ruchmathar

If you were a server..
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 07:36:32 am »
A free world would be good as a gathering place for the majority of the players and especially starting players. Maybe make a small tutorial server where you get introduced into the game mechanics, via text traps and event code, like some academy.
Theme worlds are good to give players a choice of atmosphere but they usually only attract a small amount of people. And they need to have a good atmosphere and a though through theme, complete with an individual setting that seperates them from the feel of the free server.
Event server only work, as already mentioned, only with a dedicated team of admin to keep the events rolling. A event server without constant events is dead very quickly.

One server theme I have been fiddling around with is Primordia, a world where you start as a organic blob and then 'evolve' to a stronger form of life, giving it a completly different feel than the technology based worlds, be it medieval or modern, though it won't be scientific (too boring, heh)

The other thing I was fiddling around when I got asked to make a setup for first Nulona was a medieval world with more elaborate skill system, usages and background, though setting this up would be a heck of a lot of work and I don't see the player base could get big enough at this time to justify the effort to set a fantasy world up with background, history, maps, towns, deities (based on event code). I only have some basics set up and a basic background history so far.

If things become more alive around rpgwo, I might work on more on those ideas. I still have time until october, when I will have to invest the majority of my time into the Game Design course that I will most likely attend for a year. And what comes after that I don't know, maybe even a job in the games industry.
No Mercy for the Cruel

Offline Axeman

If you were a server..
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 10:06:35 am »
Join Jon and buy RPGWO then do all of that and make millions off what could be done with RPGWO...anyway.

There is no doubt about Liberty was and always will be the best server(..maybe) and truely I'm not even sure if it's because of the atmosphere.  While I loved the rather loose feel of it, I don't think that's what made it great.  I think Liberty was great because that was the first real server for most, something like high school or senior year, because everybody went through the crap learning how to play and then there was Liberty there to play and the turmoil of course of Rosewings and TDK only added fuel to the flame.

What needs to be done is this; a server in which NO rules are enforced unless excessive behaviour happens, ie. spawn killing(sorry Dae), blocking entry ways and really stuff that happens in-game should result in your in-game ejection, not some crap you said on globals or through /t's.  And of course, quests.  I've had the idea numerous times on pirated servers I've been in to do a quest underground, running/big as 3 to 4 sectors, in which it would take 2, maybe 3-4 players to complete, able to kill high level monsters, but also incorporate the non-used skills like Read Ancient, Tailor, Trap(although it is used a bit more now), Cooking, Fishing, etc. in which would then disallow for only ONE person to do it, and for both to be able to kill rather high level monsters and which perhaps would even take planning from the start of character creation.  After all, a true quest is an adventure, there isn't much adventure in a 20x20 plot in which you kill a level 5 monster to get Hessy armor +500000 to a defense.

Anyway, quests, strong, working staff, and of course little to no rules.

Offline Dark Elf

If you were a server..
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 01:42:24 pm »
was the best cuz of any guildwars. noone would ever war my guild. altho when i had my guild most u guys were noobs and u probly were a bit better off.

i personaly like liberty the best cuz it had more balace between weapons/ armor of the current servers. before the best was steel, unless u were lucky enough to find a RARE item called damon. not some bs that fell oncea  week. u got damon when UT felt nice. how often do u think that was? and that all helped make it harder to level, not this crap of gettin level 40 in a week.

also i do think some of also came from the mystery of it. its like u said it was all fun the first time thru, but then it wipes and its all the same crap again. untill it happens again......and it starts to get boring cuz HEY LOOK! i gota do this a gain.....and you m umble to yourself *tigerin mickey said he wasnt gonna wipe again* then u sigh n do it all again.then u say tiger IT I QUIT an du give everyone the finger and u disapear into something else.

thats what i think tho. ur all bored cuz its always the same old crap.......again..like if ruchmathar went n did his idea it would all be totaly new and wed all have great fun.....until he thinks he has to wipe...then again....and again.

o n about the rules thing i think rules all come in time once the admins see problems in codeing - like bieng aboe to spawn kil via first aid, or  whatever u wanna complain about, and its 500 times easier to make a rule to not do it rather than go and fix it.  rules happen. more rules are bound to come up also the current bunch palying rpgwo arent as clever as the ones that used to be around.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 01:46:11 pm by Dark Elf »
And Jaster Reylu, I appreciate your encouragement to get him to "delete" my site. However he barely had any control over it at all. Nice to know where you side, though

Offline Daegan

If you were a server..
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 05:27:24 pm »
Personally i feel guild wars change the game.

Guilds are ponys now because of how easy it is for an addict to level. Leveling is EZ mode, its apparent by level 80s walking around.

I hate that nobody starves to death, global hunger has been fixed by mass spawns of meat dropping wolf, i miss an emo admin dropping anvils on peoples heads XD

To be honest as to rules of servers i feel this way:

War is war. Its not pretty and it's mean. If players wish to take it further then they should (mobs on their land, spawnkilling) then.. why not? If Guild A declares war on Guild B then it should be all out and not limited to a code of conduct. RPGWO hasnt had the geneva meetings.

What are other peoples feelings about PK and war? Have they changed since Coalition and Pyr8 tore up liberty?

Offline Zoex

If you were a server..
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 05:32:51 pm »
I have allready stated my feeling about this in another post, freedom is a must.

Free speach, free actions, etc.

And a strong Admin team. Although, I still think if we just fixed what is here we could fire things right back up.

Fantasy server like Liberty, hell, we could even call it Liberty.

A modern/future world. This actually adds alot of variety to the line up. I could promise that if a modern server was ran just one time by a decent team of admins, it could hold a good player base.

Bring back old Phobos, minus the idiots that thought they were somthing special for having over powered weapons.

All of these server should be an event server to an extent, events give people somthing to keep playing for.

Offline Daegan

If you were a server..
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 05:46:49 pm »
Quote from: Zoex
I have allready stated my feeling about this in another post, freedom is a must.

Free speach, free actions, etc.

And a strong Admin team. Although, I still think if we just fixed what is here we could fire things right back up.

Fantasy server like Liberty, hell, we could even call it Liberty.

A modern/future world. This actually adds alot of variety to the line up. I could promise that if a modern server was ran just one time by a decent team of admins, it could hold a good player base.

Bring back old Phobos, minus the idiots that thought they were somthing special for having over powered weapons.

All of these server should be an event server to an extent, events give people somthing to keep playing for.
Free speech needs limits. people should be able to curse on globals-sure-but not spam retarded and meaningless wolf and excessive curse words. moderation on global chat has always been a must, just sometimes admins go overboard with it.

Offline Zoex

If you were a server..
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 07:11:02 pm »
That is a given, but I am refering to actions like UT's. Who bans people for simply speaking an opinon (that is totally not related to the game or anyone on the game) that differs from his own.

Not Even over globals, he reguarly reads logs of normal chat to look for people to ban. Actions like that reflect the game as a whole and choke the life out of it. He's childish, stupid, and un-fit to run annything other than into a busy street.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 07:13:02 pm by Zoex »

Offline Metrosh

If you were a server..
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 07:13:17 pm »
Wars are what made the game awesome.

Robbing each other, seducing each others members away. Spawnkilling, destroying each other's bases, leaving tames to kill their members. Crushing their morale in every way possible.

The politics.  Oh god, the politics of guild wars with 10 or so strong guilds involved.... ahh... I've got a boner for politics... Lies, deceipt, subtle manipulations.. I need a minute..
Bitchin'.

Offline Zoex

If you were a server..
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 07:19:25 pm »
The bad administration shot that all to hell for us on Arc. The player base died too quick.

We would get things started and then everyone would quit. Or get banned.

Although we still managed to pull 32 members out of a player base of about 50.

Bad part is, the only guild that stodd against us was Alex's, which I have allready bitched about before.

Offline Daegan

If you were a server..
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 09:32:12 pm »
Politics was a fun part of guild wars, getting the top players in nameless to turn it into a killing machine was just.. beautiful.. Coalition having spys in every guild... argh i loved it

Conclair and I camping TDK's guild land.. simply fun
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 09:37:03 pm by Daegan »

Offline Axeman

If you were a server..
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2006, 10:48:00 pm »
And of course, my level 13 mage owning Rosewings and Ursus while they were training Monsterbash, the king of easy mode of RPGWO.

Offline The Muffin Man

If you were a server..
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2006, 07:46:11 pm »
I hear a lotta people say ST as a softcore Liberty.. I loved st and quit when it got tigered over by Mickey.. but if ST was so much damn fun, I'd LOVE to see what Liberty was like..

Offline Drew

If you were a server..
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2006, 09:03:38 pm »
I made a server, and all weapons were throwable, renamed Axe Chuck, Mace Throw, Added a new one called "ITem Whack" where you could smash people with chairs and such... XD
Good times
NeogeX - Steeltide - Level 30?*
NeogeX - Arcanium - Level noob
AtomicDestroyer - The Arena - Worst PK'er ever
Icenfire - Shadow - Level 60 Staff
Frililith - Ganymede - Level 72 Macer
Frililith - Hex - Level 66 Dagger
Hex V2 - LEVEL 72 DAGGER 2019
Hex V3 - Level 32 Unarmed 2020
Gallows V2 - ACTIVE

Offline Daegan

If you were a server..
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2006, 09:12:43 pm »
Quote from: Drew
I made a server, and all weapons were throwable, renamed Axe Chuck, Mace Throw, Added a new one called "ITem Whack" where you could smash people with chairs and such... XD
Good times
Item Whack sounds interesting.

Offline Metrosh

If you were a server..
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2006, 09:16:03 pm »
Street Combat off the modern server sounds like
Bitchin'.

Offline StormyNight

If you were a server..
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2006, 12:25:31 am »
Heh the poltics are amazingly fun and amazingly annoying, depending on who you are.

We need more guilds that dominate wolf, I miss the wanderers, I miss CoF and I really fuggin miss Pyr8. Its a shame that most the members of the said guilds are like totally deadz0rz.

Offline Gizza

If you were a server..
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2006, 07:08:43 am »
I renamed Unarmed Combat to Bum Fighting and for some reason it fully screwed up so i quit Rpgwo Server  :tongue: (besides the point my modem went router way)

Quote from: The Muffin Man
I hear a lotta people say ST as a softcore Liberty.. I loved st and quit when it got tigered over by Mickey.. but if ST was so much damn fun, I'd LOVE to see what Liberty was like..
I agree  :sad: I started on a friends computer and i thought this game was wolf til I got on phobos and played for a bit