3 (42.9%)
V6
1 (14.3%)
New V7
2 (28.6%)
Other: Please specify in a post
1 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Skill Training  (Read 1620 times)

Offline Mickey Kudlo

Skill Training
« on: June 25, 2018, 12:54:21 pm »
How should skills be trained up?

Classic V1/2/3 has 3 stages:
- Untrained, un-usable, no XP
- Trained- 100% XP, no limits, can train in game
- Specialized - 200% XP, no limits, can ONLY spec at creation

V6 (skill values are 10% of classic, so a value of 50 in V6 equates to a 500 in classic, it much more scaled down, sort of)
- Untrained, usable, NO XP gain, based on Attributes, limited value to 30, can do all low level usages
- Trained, gain 50% regular and skill XP, limited value to 60, can do low and medium level usages
- Specialized, full 100% regular and skill XP, no value limit, can do any usages
- Mastered, 150% regular and skill XP, no limit, can do any usages
- ALL skills can be trained, Spec or Mastered in game

V7 new-ish idea, mostly V6
- All of the V6 rules except...
- Trained gives 100% XP, Spec gives 150%, Mastered gives 200%, (not sure about this change)
- Mastered can NOT be done at creation but can only be done in game, tied to a quest for that skill

Let me explain skill values in V6 better... Generally, in classic, 75-100 skill is the step up, but in V6 10 is the step, for example, arming a better weapon or using a better tool. I changed how the skill roll works to better deal with this too. That is probably the subject of another post. Those that have played V6 enough understand my scaling... maybe.
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
Re: Skill Training
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 04:15:11 pm »
if I had to definitely choose 1 of those I'd choose old school V1-V3.

that said I liked the lower numbers in the new version, but didn't like the way you could make anything skilled or not.  what if instead you do the original style, but lower values? 

I also like your in game quest idea for skills, but don't think we need a new tier.  what if instead you allowed players who did the quest to specialize a skill in game after they started with it.  I'm hoping of course this still takes the skill points(maybe a couple more than specializing at creation), because it would be far too overpowered if you could get every skill you want specialized in game without no cost in skill points.
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 03:46:35 pm »
How about at creation either Un-Trained or Trained. Un-trained are unusable, 0%XP. Trained is 100% XP.
Spec/Mastered done in game, 200% XP, costs skill points and is tied to a quest or NPC or something.

I allowed low level usages for all, based on attributes, I think cuz the V6 world wasn't populated enough, maybe.
Maybe still have it but lower it even more? For some reason I always feared starving as a warrior and it allowed basic food gathering, like pick some fruit/crop for small quantities.
Or repairing low level weapons. I should make it easy to set in the .INI though. Will see.
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 05:28:29 pm »
I think some skills(especially mining) definitely need to be specializable(it is a word now I just created it) at creation.  I think if a person doesn't have a skill they shouldn't be able to do any of that skill's usages. 

if you allow some usages it just makes some skills completely useless.  for example on older servers(before your mold usages) people needed handles, and that was one of the things carpenters sold often to smiths without carpentry.  usages for carpentry without handles are very few, and those that are there are mostly decorative...
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Flambelk

• Attack: 95
    Defense: 92
    Attack Member
  • Plundering the Internet since 1996.
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 29
    Invisible Tenth year Anniversary Karma Good
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 02:55:35 pm »
IMO it should they should level like in 1/2/3.
The signature you entered contains possibly offensive language. Please change it.