Author Topic: V7 ???  (Read 4785 times)

Offline Mickey Kudlo

V7 ???
« on: June 05, 2018, 04:22:24 pm »
The other day, I played Rucoy Online (a MMO) on my phone and was surprised it was soooo simple and like had a million plus downloads!?!? (I did play it last year and got bored fast *shrugs* and … the same now, anyways...)

So, now I am feeling inspired to re-work V6 into a V7, simplified somewhat and with a new, simple, multi-platform client (PC, android, etc).
Then officially publish it (would need to spend some $ on a certificate, registration and a real LLC business formed, I think) and figue out a way to monetize it (ads, perks, etc).

Researching how far I can/need to simplify the RPGWO ideas/concepts/features to be more commercial but still be RPGWO... you know? Hopefully not too much is needed.

Some ideas, some I like, some I hate (numbered so you don't need to quote):
  • No large main map, use smaller 50x50 maps, connected at edge, that can expand infinitely
  • 50x50 sectors have biome type, get loaded/created on the fly when player enters, saved/unloaded when they leave, loaded when needing processing (growth, npc activity, etc)
  • remove RPGWO type elevation, use a more commercial look
  • house images, doors warp to smaller maps (V2,V3 have it)
  • V6 is heavy simulation, get rid of most of it {remove seeds everywhere}
  • Limited dynamic maps, very little can change
  • monsters spawn faster, larger groups, easy to find (spoon feed players)
  • client tactical view takes entire form, gui opens for attributes, inventory, etc
  • client has more data, maps, more trust, allows smooth actions
  • players don't block
  • remove burden limits??? Maybe just an item limit???
  • remove stamina??? just use food??? (I noticed Rucoy doesn't have, un-easy about removing it, like resting/waiting is a bad thing for a MMO?)
  • simplify items: like one type of rock or wood, not 15 kinds and sizes
  • simplify usage: like reduce steps like {Use Axe on Tree to get Wood}
  • Simplify ore system??? Just use common metals people know: tin, bronze, iron, steel, tungsten, mithril, etc
  • reduce number of skills??? make it class based??? professions???
  • simple GUI
  • simple graphics and animations

Or keep V7 pretty much like V6, just fix the annoyances and make a multi-platform client then publish that shat.

As always, I cherish your input  ;D
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline Jon The Great

Re: V7 ???
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 04:46:10 pm »
Kickstarter campaign might help. You can raise some funds that way.

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 09:04:43 pm »
I have more questions than comments...

2: won't this cause a lot of lag as a person enters a new sector?

3: I've always hated elevation so I won't complain about this, but does this mean a person can no longer dig a small lake on their land?

4: aren't the floating map houses part of what caused the server lag issues on V3?  also I never liked floating map houses.  I liked being able to build things the way I wanted where I wanted...the essence of RPGWO

6: this brings me back to what I asked about 3...what things will we still be able to do?

7: while good for fighters, wouldn't this suck for crafters?  what about monsters spawn faster in 'dungeons' which would be used for quests and what not...

10: this would suck in a pk type situation where the person attacking you(ranged attack) is under another person...

11: I've played games with item limits before and I've always hated that part of them.  if I have 5k strength and can only carry 20 potions it sort of sucks(I know potions stack and only take 1 spot in RPGWO, but not all games do that), but with bags/chests this could really be exploited: bags hold 40 items now and a 20 place inventory(using 1 place to pick items up to move into bags) still alloys a person to carry 760 item types(what stacks what doesn't?)

12: keep food!  I've never played(or even heard of) Rucoy, but you shouldn't be modelling RPGWO after other games...

13: I did that in the files I wrote, instead of having 10 types of trees I had 3, small medium and large 8)

14: how simple are you talking?  just using an ore on a 'forge' to get a finished item?  that might be too simple, but there are plenty of places where usages have too many steps...

15: why not get rid of a lot more ore, then add different alloys made from your base metals?  tin copper iron as your base metals, silver and gold for currency/jewelry/gilding, and fantasy metals(keep damonite instead of adding mithril) for big bonuses.

16: less skills is a good thing, class based isn't.  ie: carpentry is usually just used to make handles chests and housing decorations, these decorations can easily be added to other skills, and with your horrible new crucible system you don't need handles.  I think Roar(only 40% sure it was him) had the best idea for this, he added carp and masonry into 1 skill called construction.  there are other skills that could easilly be removed/merged
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline yeahs

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 05:11:18 pm »
ill donate some money if I can get some equity

Offline Kaios

• Attack: 69
    Defense: 58
    Attack Member
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 44
    50 Poll Votes 10 Poll Votes Invisible
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 06:20:41 pm »
Check out mystera legacy too, similar games but it's much better than Rucoy in my opinion. Browser/mobile but it's only on the google play store right now so no ios version currently.
(Insert witty signature here)

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 01:28:25 pm »
Well, right now don't need the money. I can cover the expenses plus Kickstarter puts obligations on a dev shoulders. Well, a fire under your ass isn't always bad, I guess.

A lot of those suggested changes, I don't like. A lot of them I am re-thinking heavily.

Offline Gahok

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 01:59:44 pm »
This is something I have been hoping for for a while now. It would be nice to be able to play one of my favorite games while on the go, or sitting at work on a computer that I can't download rpgwo on.

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 03:06:11 pm »
Allow a client multiple players? Can always limit the count.

Looking at 16x16 images, scaled up 400% to 64x64.
Examples:
https://opengameart.org/content/the-field-of-the-floating-islands
https://opengameart.org/content/dawnlike-16x16-universal-rogue-like-tileset-v181

Offline Pepin

• Attack: 12
    Defense: 13
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
    • Email

• Total Badges: 37
    Linux User Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 04:00:18 pm »
I'd say listen to Greatest, his points are valid, and you weren't exactly winning any awards with v6. Which brings up a good point, listen to your playerbase this time around. I saw a lot of great ideas you dismissed and the game dried up.

The art links you posted look good, maybe work out a deal with some one who can take that style and make you extra stuff as needed.

Try not to make this version as tedious as v6. Oh and maybe cut out the 'v7' it looks tacky. Just call it RPGWO, or RPGWO Mobile.. With your track record of abandoning and starting new projects, I'm not sure you'll see many backers.

Also the last I checked a developers license for Android isn't too expensive, so its definitely a good route.

Sorry, was lurking saw you were doing your yearly NEW PROJECT, so just following along.
#

Offline yeahs

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 11:45:18 pm »
Try and keep it close as possible to original v2 or v3 Rpgwo imo. Steeltide was such a good server because the amount of players made for a competitive/lively world with active guilds etc. another steeltide reboot wouldnt be a bad idea once you put it on the apps list, too easy. People are looking for a game like this but dont know it exists.

Offline Balthazar

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 09:30:39 pm »
i wish i had liberty files and maps along with luny maps and scripts....i miss the original days

Offline Sacrifice

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 04:38:38 pm »
I am here.

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2018, 05:34:18 pm »
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Sacrifice

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2018, 08:32:28 pm »
yea

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2018, 11:44:11 am »
Sacrifice! Yo dude.
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline Sacrifice

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2018, 09:20:19 pm »
Hello Mickey!

Offline Sacrifice

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2018, 09:03:24 pm »
So how bought that test?

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2018, 03:09:24 pm »
OK, just posted a playable version, finally.

rpgwo.com/download/RPGWOClient7.zip

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2018, 03:58:52 pm »

Offline Jon The Great

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2018, 12:33:38 pm »
I am getting failed to connect