Poll

Upira is unstable and a lag hell. Start a new, smaller V3 world?

Yes
9 (56.3%)
Yes but only with changes outlined below
5 (31.3%)
Yes but use V2 files (not making any changes to them)
1 (6.3%)
No
1 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Start a new smaller, more stable, V3 world?  (Read 9487 times)

Offline Pepin

• Attack: 12
    Defense: 13
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
    • Email

• Total Badges: 37
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Apple User Mobile User
Re: Start a new smaller, more stable, V3 world?
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2017, 04:48:20 pm »
AFKWO
#

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2017, 06:22:04 pm »
All that coding is kinda useless when the only server has no admins and is 90% afk's grinding over buffed trade skill fail xp.
you know he released the server code right?  you can start your own server if you don't like his.  I don't see how you can say all the work he did coding V3 was useless, it has some really neat new stuff(new magic research window is awesome).
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Pepin

• Attack: 12
    Defense: 13
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
    • Email

• Total Badges: 37
    Linux User Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2017, 06:24:26 pm »
How's his monkey taste?  8)
#
Creative Creative x 1 View List

Offline north star

« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2017, 07:26:11 pm »
The new magic research is good, i agree. But most of the players on the server arent using any of the new stuff hes coded. They are just abusing the over inflated fail xp. The game might aswell be single player at this point. Some people on there already have 2-3 characters grinding skills.

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2017, 08:39:05 pm »
again, he released the server files.  if you don't like his server(which I get, there are a lot of bots/afk trainers) you can run your own...the coding wasn't useless.
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline north star

« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2017, 02:54:06 am »
A few of us were actually talking about it yesterday. We dont want to have to make a server because the only official one isnt admined or moderated in any way. But we will if we must.

Offline Jerz92

« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2017, 08:08:39 am »
If by chance a server does open up that isn't full of afk macroers then let me know on here!

I appreciate Mickey's put a lot of work into the new V3 but like myself people are probably gonna find it through the forum, read this thread, and be put right off so it's all a bit pointless really isn't it!?
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2017, 01:16:56 pm »
Not sure I have seen so much anger about macroing since... like 16 years ago when I was in full combat mode against it. I coded all sorts of stuff to bring it under control and stop it. Even patrolled the world in secret admin, checking and watching players. But... it all failed. I sadly came to realize that you will never get rid of it. I really don't know what more I can say about it. It sucks. And all the stuff I did just made it harder for non-macro players to play. And if you think commercial games don't have these same problems... think again.

In V6 I decided to embrace it and planned to code scripting into the client. And eventually into the server so you can setup a script for a player and logoff, having the server run the script for the player in world. Basically, setup NPCs kinda. But V6 sort of has a skill cap. Once you hit 100 skill, in a month of normal play, you could do everything in that skill. So really only combat benefitted but that I planned to put a real cap on that kept it balanced. But that was all based on regular wipes every 4-6 months.

OK, so basically, you want an admin on every hour, checking AFK players?

What if I just restart the server once per hour? It still would not stop macroers and it would just annoy real players.

Who wants ice cream?
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline north star

« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2017, 02:11:11 pm »
What a great mentality from the creator of the game. You can't stop it completely so why bother trying in the first place. Your right. Commercial games do do have the same problem but it doesnt mean they stop trying. The average person doesnt do it because the fear of being caught is always there. Your basically giving people a free pass to do it, publicly. Sends a great message to players new and old.

Offline mechanical keyboard enthusiast

• Attack: 3682
    Defense: 2735
    Attack Member
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 25
    Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2017, 03:06:10 pm »
What a great mentality from the creator of the game. You can't stop it completely so why bother trying in the first place. Your right. Commercial games do do have the same problem but it doesnt mean they stop trying. The average person doesnt do it because the fear of being caught is always there. Your basically giving people a free pass to do it, publicly. Sends a great message to players new and old.

To be fair: he is a software developer type, not a PR or marketing type. Commercial games spend $xxx,xxx to millions every year on it.

That being said I am all for a world with significantly more admin interaction if it means Mickey can add more features and fix bugs without being bothered or harassed, and the admin can handle things like removing unruly players and events.

Offline Jerz92

« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2017, 03:26:17 am »
I appreciate it is a difficult thing to work around, and it has always been a problem, but "back in the day" it only enumerated to a small percentage of active players macroing which I could overlook as I still had loads of others to interact with.
Now it seems like at least half the players online at any given time are afk macroing, I thought people liked this game because of the sense of community bla bla bla, so what are you doing afk the whole time? All you're doing is competing against other AFK players, whats the point?
You're putting off other players from starting again, so when you're all winging in 3 weeks time that everyone's stopped playing then have a good long think.  :)
Like Like x 1 View List