Author Topic: Enchantments/Bonus +'s for Weapons/Armor  (Read 2318 times)

Offline Soapy

• Global Moderator
  • Attack: 50
    Defense: 61
    Attack Member
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 29
    Badges: (View All)
    50 Posts Karma Good Search
Enchantments/Bonus +'s for Weapons/Armor
« on: June 29, 2017, 04:54:07 pm »
An idea I had a few years back was more detail into armor and weapon itself. Not creating additional ore armor/weps or "Specialty" weapons (such as Storm Mace etc.). But allow either player added or random chance dropped "enchanted/Bonuses +" weapons and armor. This would be a concept mix between say Minecraft's enchanting and say Diablo III's random dropped weapons. Items that drop from monster kills have a chance at having different additional attribs or bonus skill/special ability. This would enable a player whom has reached say their top tier weapon to be able to continue to search for the same or different weapon but with better attribs/bonuses. By attribs, i don't mean actually adding strength and such to your char (which actually wouldn't be too bad of an idea - don't know how coding for that would work, but spells can do it so why not armor) but for the item itself to have benefits. Whether it heals you for 5 every 10 seconds, or gives you Smite and does increased damage to undead monsters. Or for armor, specifically say mage armor since no servers have ever really implemented specific mage armor properly. Low armor ratings, or requirement of a magic skill to arm. But they can, say, cast spells on you. Every 5 seconds you get Mana Renewal, or every 5 minutes Armor Self etc... The options and ways of doing something like this could be limitless and add additional value to item drops and would aid in economy. Imagine always needing to look out for a weapon you use that has better or other "bonuses" on it that you want. Now they could be limited to only 1 per item, or have chances at more - idk that would need more thought.

This also could be applied to Jewelry (redo it a bit so it's more of getting bonus' from them rather than specific skill pluses). Also trade skiller tools, a chance for say a longer lasting pick or an increase to strength when wearing etc.
Yee...
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline Jaster_reylu

Re: Enchantments/Bonus +'s for Weapons/Armor
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 01:46:14 pm »
i forget what exactly, but hes changed armors so its somthing like this...

ore based armor have some sort of mana denial attached to em
leather armor has no effects but just hte usual lower AL's
cloth armor has mana renewal attacked to em

its somthing like that, probly not 100% but ill sift thru the forums n find it in a little bit

Offline Soapy

• Global Moderator
    Attack Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 04:24:12 pm »
Yea that's my general idea, but that is making everything set to be the same when you make it no matter what. I'm talking about having any armor have a random enchantment on it when dropped from monster. So Iron Chest doesn't always have only Mana Denial I, it could land with Revive Self I or whatever other spell. Or it could have new enchantment types, like i said above, "smite" which gives additional dmg to undead monsters. Identify Undead Monsters in monster.ini "monstertype=undead"
Yee...

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 02:20:14 am »
Amulets do this already... casting spells on the wearer. I should be able to enable weapons and armor to do similar.
Could add a suffix to the name like "of <effect>". For example "Iron Chest Plate of Cure I" or "Hessite Broadsword of Blindness III"

An economy idea I have is redoing artifacts. Players would find them (monster drops, dungeon loot, mining, etc) and they would have an "unknown" name. Something like "Medium Delta Artifact" or "Large Gamma Artifact". The greek (or whatever) name could indicate the tier/level of the artifact. Then you need to evaluate the item with a skill called "Arcane Lore" (replaces Speak Ancient) and then you would get a usable item like "Delta Heavy Axe of Light" or "Gamma Leggings of Speed". They generally would be a little better then regular ore items with less skill requirements to arm and have abnormal damage and/or spell types. Like some special monsters can only be harmed by or protected from these type of items. Maybe Holy/UnHoly or Light/Dark damages.
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Jaster_reylu

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 09:29:07 am »
i like this idea, jsut curious how something like a  "Hessite Broadsword of Blindness III" would work....would it b my sword skill vs monster/players magic defense?

if u made mobs weak / resistant to certain types of damage as in ur example of holy/unholy will such info b available in assess? or would u just make a new monster catagory with thier own sector where every thing is weak or strong to holy.unholy?    sorta like races have? magma sector, elk sector blah blah blah...

how would these weapons be repaired? a hammer for the weapon bit and a mana stone to recharge the magical bit? 
like how a magic staff needs repaired and recharged
i would like to see less common items used to repair them, like an artifact hammer, and artifact mana stone or whatever
to give value to the mining side of this idea, maybe make the only the mined versions "rechargeable"

so say monster X drops a hessite delta artifact. i use my arcane lore on it, get a hessite axe of armor penalty other 2, i can repair it, but after (however many) lets just say 20 uses, the armor penalty 2 spell no longer works, making it just a hessite sword
but MinerMan2000 mines an Ancient delta artifact, use arcance lore on it, get an Ancient hessite Sword of Nova other 3, this could be both repaired and recharged

Offline Soapy

• Global Moderator
    Attack Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 12:05:58 pm »
Jast, I would say more or less the weapon should have a CHANCE to cast the spell. Similar to how Crit's have a chance to land. So the spell binded to the weapon doesn't need repairing or have usages, but rather just randomly works upon a hit. So it would still use only there melee D if you were say using a sword, but have the chance to cause Blind III or whatever spell the item has. This could be used similarly with armor, where if you are hit, you have a CHANCE of the armor casting, say Heal II on you.
Yee...

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 07:28:53 pm »
I like the idea of enchantments/bonuses(think I posted about something similar once but no clue where), but I'm not sure spells are really the right way to do it.  I like the idea of different weapons/armors being able to have different effects, I like the idea that they could even add new levels to pvp(even though it is something I don't do often I do enjoy it on some servers against a way ob opponent since I'm usually a crafter), but I'd prefer not having spells cast from weapons/armor. 

just for example, what if instead the bonuses were things like:
for weapons:
-armor penetration(1-5): certain percentage of the damage ignores opponents armor
-double striking(1-10): chance of landing 2 hits instead of 1
-range(1): increases attack range.  +1 for melee, +3 for magic, +5 for missle
-speed(1-10): improves weapon speed making attacks faster
-acid/rot/decay(1-10): critical hits have a chance to destroy armor/poison target1

for armors:
-deflection(1-5): chance to completely shrug off damage when taking a hit
-reflection(1-5): sends small amount of damage taken back to attacker
-stealth(1): player goes into stealth mode while worn even if they don't have the skill
-observer(1-5): ignored by monsters unless you attack them first2
-hypnosis(1-10): chance nearby monsters attack what you're attacking unless you attack them

chance/damage/effect would increase maybe 5% per level
1:should be a really low chance on armor breaking, maybe start this 1 at 3% and increase 2% per level?  also broken items should be repairable not completely removed from game, and poison should only happen if attacking unarmored targets
2:based on level of player in relation to level of monster, level 1 would be monsters up to half the player's level while level 3 would be monsters same level as player and level 5 would be double...not sure if this should stack if you have multiple pieces with observer though
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Zodiak

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 06:59:22 am »
Hey this sounds familiar.. lol
I'm just here watching..
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline Jaster_reylu

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 06:24:12 pm »
while all ur idea sound neat n stuff they dont seem practical?

how do u give this effect to a mage?

how do u go into stealth without having the skill, how much scan do would i/a monster need to scan someone wearing such a thing? how fast would it try to restealth

all these ideas just seem like needless shinanigans.
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline Thaddeus

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 08:56:17 pm »
An economy idea I have is redoing artifacts. Players would find them (monster drops, dungeon loot, mining, etc) and they would have an "unknown" name. Something like "Medium Delta Artifact" or "Large Gamma Artifact". The greek (or whatever) name could indicate the tier/level of the artifact. Then you need to evaluate the item with a skill called "Arcane Lore" (replaces Speak Ancient) and then you would get a usable item like "Delta Heavy Axe of Light" or "Gamma Leggings of Speed". They generally would be a little better then regular ore items with less skill requirements to arm and have abnormal damage and/or spell types. Like some special monsters can only be harmed by or protected from these type of items. Maybe Holy/UnHoly or Light/Dark damages.

This sounds pretty neat, but I don't know if i'd agree to giving these types of options to all weapons with magic effects added on.
I do think having armors with similar options would be neat though, Hessite Plate Helm of Sight or something, an automatic offset to negative effects.

having some sort of extra enchantment, say... +x elemental damage, would be sort of neat, and wouldn't have any weird conflicts with magic defense on a melee weapon or such.
maybe as a separate blue spell "Imbue Elements" or something , adds a random damage boost based on the blue magic level of the caster? (wand power affecting duration, skill level affecting degree?)
this could be an alternative to the usual +1-6 (not stacking, one or the other)

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 12:41:34 am »

why does it have to be something for a mage?  they're enchantments, not spells.  the ideas before were all about spells even though the thread was for enchantments and bonuses. 

as far as the stealth thing, no clue!  I was just tossing out a few examples of possible enchantments, I wasn't really saying these are the things that have to be there...

Offline Zodiak

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 07:33:08 am »
So (d3-ish) Legendary items, it's almost like I didn't send you, Mickey, a message with this very idea. Hmm.. Lol

I think things like that would open the game some, make the game play a little different and getting them via drops would make people farm a little more for more reasons then XP and getting one would get you hyped. If you really want to go that route and you want to tie in mining, may I suggest something you mine to repair them. I think I personally would go a little more in depth maybe for top tier "artifacts".
I'm just here watching..

Offline Soapy

• Global Moderator
    Attack Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 05:03:14 pm »
I like the idea of enchantments/bonuses(think I posted about something similar once but no clue where), but I'm not sure spells are really the right way to do it.  I like the idea of different weapons/armors being able to have different effects, I like the idea that they could even add new levels to pvp(even though it is something I don't do often I do enjoy it on some servers against a way ob opponent since I'm usually a crafter), but I'd prefer not having spells cast from weapons/armor. 

just for example, what if instead the bonuses were things like:
for weapons:
-armor penetration(1-5): certain percentage of the damage ignores opponents armor
-double striking(1-10): chance of landing 2 hits instead of 1
-range(1): increases attack range.  +1 for melee, +3 for magic, +5 for missle
-speed(1-10): improves weapon speed making attacks faster
-acid/rot/decay(1-10): critical hits have a chance to destroy armor/poison target1

for armors:
-deflection(1-5): chance to completely shrug off damage when taking a hit
-reflection(1-5): sends small amount of damage taken back to attacker
-stealth(1): player goes into stealth mode while worn even if they don't have the skill
-observer(1-5): ignored by monsters unless you attack them first2
-hypnosis(1-10): chance nearby monsters attack what you're attacking unless you attack them

chance/damage/effect would increase maybe 5% per level
1:should be a really low chance on armor breaking, maybe start this 1 at 3% and increase 2% per level?  also broken items should be repairable not completely removed from game, and poison should only happen if attacking unarmored targets
2:based on level of player in relation to level of monster, level 1 would be monsters up to half the player's level while level 3 would be monsters same level as player and level 5 would be double...not sure if this should stack if you have multiple pieces with observer though

I think your on the right track with this. Maybe spells isn't the way to go, but more or less enchanted items from drops only.

why does it have to be something for a mage?  they're enchantments, not spells.  the ideas before were all about spells even though the thread was for enchantments and bonuses. 

as far as the stealth thing, no clue!  I was just tossing out a few examples of possible enchantments, I wasn't really saying these are the things that have to be there...

Because from experience of being a mage on most servers I've played, they never get anything special for them really. Armor, for instance, is always limited to something very light like a chain, or if the server has it - drake armor. Which using drake armor on every single server gets old. Once you can kill and get crystal scales, your hunt is over indefinitely for armor. I know he has made some major changes on armor with V3, but having specifically like mage cloth or spell casting monsters drop armors that mages can wear. Either takes a magic to arm, or is just tailored more for them. Low to no AL but higher Magic AL elec/fire/cold etc, and have "effects" on them. Like constant Mana Renewal or something to that effect.

But i think Jasters point was, that not many of those effects would really benefit a mage since they are ranged. Now that Melee & missle D are the same skill, i can see myself going w/ a defense mage - still tbd depending on how things change though. This idea would take a lot of balancing for all 3 build classes (melee, ranged or magic ranged).

We're on the right track though to give the game an extra bonus to always keep you looking out for better items after you hit lvl 30
Yee...

Offline Jaster_reylu

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 06:56:10 pm »
my point was only it seems alot of these ideas seems great if ur melee or missle class but offers nothing for a mage class...

just using examples that wre previously given....

/t soapy, o sweet i just got a double striking battle axe of doom, now i his wolf for 26-36 TWICE every 2.5 seconds (or whatever speed / dmg)
/r man jaster thats neat, i wish there was some sort of anything for me that would somehow let me do cool stuff, but these neat new things dont get added for mages, why would anyone want to play this class on this v3?
 - soapy remakes -

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2017, 07:39:53 pm »
ahh then I misunderstood you...it happens :P

still I'll say the same thing: these were just a few random examples and not stuff that has to be included.  I was just against using spells for the effect.  even with spells as the effect(as seen before) it doesn't do anything for mages except take spells only they could use and allow anyone who got an enchanted weapon to use them, so that was even less in favor of a mage.

however most of those could easily work for a mage, your double striking example would have a spell hit twice...though I'll admit it would probably be a serious pain trying to code something like that. 

as to the armor for mages: thats something for a different discussion maybe.  I could see bonuses/enchantments on mage armors, but we'd need mage armors first.

Offline Thaddeus

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2017, 11:02:18 pm »
maybe wand modifiers that reduce enemy elemental AL? though that might be just as much of a pain to implement as double hitting spells based on a worn item.

Offline Zodiak

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2017, 08:12:06 am »
I think there is a lot of different routes you could go for mages to benefit from different effects.

Chance of double spell cast.
Chance of Splash damage.
Chance of Elemental Summon. (Tame system would need some reworking)
Protection bubble on Crit.
Proc for free casting.
Proc for insta-casting.
Increase in dmg for a set amount of time.

I think there is a lot that could be done to benefit the mage types. The problem I think lies in the Magic system and most of that stuff would just be an overall new system for RPGWO. Magic.ini would semi become this place where all the spells are not ones you can actually learn but rather ones you can reference for "legendary/artifact" items.
Though I think the way I'm looking at it is a d3 like legendary effect rather then some random stat on it.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 08:26:27 am by Zodiak »
I'm just here watching..