Poll

What size should land parcels/plots be and pricing?

V1/V2 original 20x20, limited to 2 to 4 claims, 1000 gold each
3 (33.3%)
V6 uses 10x10, no limit, cost doubles each claim
6 (66.7%)
Other, specify below
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Land Claim Size  (Read 2002 times)

Offline Mickey Kudlo

Land Claim Size
« on: May 01, 2017, 01:49:10 pm »
20x20 seems large and not very flexible for players and when it comes to roads and small PLOT stuff.

10x10 I feel opens up more options to players. Like making a small shop in a town. 10x10 is good for that.
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
Re: Land Claim Size
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 12:49:50 am »
I get the idea of smaller claims for roads, but honestly how often are there plots with just roads and no quests?  I also get that without roads after a certain point it could be nearly impossible to get out of start town...but isn't that easily avoided by having multiple towns with warps between them?

I like the 20X20 because it gives a good chunk of farmland for farmers and alchemists to grow what they need.  also look at costs for 10X10's, to get that same amount of space of current claims you would need 4 10X10's.  even if the cost was reduced to 100 for initial purchase, that would be 500 extra for 1 normal sized claim(100 + 200 + 400 + 800), and the 2nd would cost 24000(1600 + 3200 + 6400 + 12800).  cost wise doubling for each claim and cutting claim size into fourths just adds a huge gold sink.  I get that could be good later in game when we all have more gold than we'd ever use, but early game that would be a true nightmare.
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline royan

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 10:17:37 am »
I definitely like the more flexible 10x10. Would mean more useful land also. With 20x20 many plots only have half its size useful because of water/mountains, som plots even less. With smaller you can claim the half or quarter that is actually useful.

I was thinking about what Greatest says about the costs. We dont want to make it too expensive in the start but we need (or at least always used to need) a money drain for high levels. So simply make the price increase formula exponential rather than linear. Mayb make the four first  plots always cost 250 and then a exponential increase after that.

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 10:51:55 am »
Another advantage with smaller claims, is being able to more easily claim land far away from your regular land. Even if it just a 10x10, it still a place to store stuff, rest, etc.

I like the 250 gold per claim for the first 4 claims then double it from there: 500, 1000, 2000, 4000, 8000, 16000, 32000, etc.

Offline Mongo

• Attack: 91
    Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

• Total Badges: 29
    Sixth year Anniversary 10 Poll Votes Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 01:35:35 pm »
One thing to watch out for with having more smaller plots though is players being able to wall off areas much easier. If someone were to just keep claiming plots in a vertical line it could become incredibly tedious to navigate around them when they are inevitably walled off.
Shoop!

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 04:30:48 am »
One thing to watch out for with having more smaller plots though is players being able to wall off areas much easier. If someone were to just keep claiming plots in a vertical line it could become incredibly tedious to navigate around them when they are inevitably walled off.
lol I was just thinking about this, but not a vertical line...

just imagine some ass claiming every plot around the edge of town, anyone who starts after that is locked in, and anyone who dies and isn't attuned to a lifestone is trapped later.  on a non-pk server could be a good way to make money though..."50 gold to get through". ;D

Offline royan

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 12:18:59 am »
lol I was just thinking about this, but not a vertical line...

just imagine some ass claiming every plot around the edge of town, anyone who starts after that is locked in, and anyone who dies and isn't attuned to a lifestone is trapped later.  on a non-pk server could be a good way to make money though..."50 gold to get through". ;D

Well this is sort of a problem already with 20x20. Near town so many plots claimed with walls on the outer edge making it hard to get by.

Also to completely wall off an entire town would take MANY 10x10 plots

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 07:17:27 pm »
depends on the size of the town.  usually when Mickey makes a server he has a 1 plot start area with a few basic npcs.  if thats the case it would only take 8(cost of 8500 and same total claimed space as spending 2k for 20X20's), if however the entire start sector of 1-1 is plot land it would take 21.  that would get pricey going solo, but what fosters teamwork and cooperation more than tigering over other people?

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 11:57:54 pm »
depends on the size of the town.  usually when Mickey makes a server he has a 1 plot start area with a few basic npcs.  if thats the case it would only take 8(cost of 8500 and same total claimed space as spending 2k for 20X20's), if however the entire start sector of 1-1 is plot land it would take 21.  that would get pricey going solo, but what fosters teamwork and cooperation more than tigering over other people?
had to point this out: Mickey once again made a small start area, would take very few claims to completely wall it off, but most claims near town were already taken(I didn't log in til last night)...if those folks who claimed them decide to wall any players still playing are all screwed
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 12:04:06 am by Greatest »

Offline Kaios

• Attack: 69
    Defense: 58
    Attack Member
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 44
    50 Poll Votes 10 Poll Votes Invisible
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 01:21:25 am »
Yeah I'm not sure why he didn't PLOT claim around the starter town a bit
(Insert witty signature here)

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 07:10:39 am »
quick question about pricing: if I get a friend to play this game, give them the cash to claim land and they transfer it to me, as long as they don't have 4 pieces of land will it still cost them 250 per claim?

along the same line of that question: say your land gets unclaimed because you haven't played in a while, when you come back will land be 250 per claim or will it be at the price you left off?

Offline Thaddeus

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 12:23:40 pm »
quick question about pricing: if I get a friend to play this game, give them the cash to claim land and they transfer it to me, as long as they don't have 4 pieces of land will it still cost them 250 per claim?

along the same line of that question: say your land gets unclaimed because you haven't played in a while, when you come back will land be 250 per claim or will it be at the price you left off?

that is indeed how it currently works, pricing is based on the amount of land you currently own, not the number of times you have claimed.

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 02:07:34 pm »
Right

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 08:15:52 pm »
so if 2 players work together they can claim all the land they want at a cost of 250 per plot...seems like cheating to me.  this is another strike against your current system.  transfers should in some way be considered when claiming land.

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 02:14:10 pm »
I disabled "LandGive" so players can't transfer anymore so this should not be an issue.
They can do it the old fashioned way... unclaim then the other claims... done.