Author Topic: Maybe RPGWO still has a future.  (Read 7354 times)

Offline Docox

Maybe RPGWO still has a future.
« on: February 07, 2017, 07:00:23 pm »
Currently were in an era of 8 bit rogue like games that are receiving extreme popularity. Instead of constantly developing newer versions of RPGWO. Why not polish up V2 and try to get it on steam? I think it would have tremendous success with the current atmosphere of games. Obviously i expect to be told why this can't happen but hey its just a thought.

Offline Kaios

• Attack: 69
    Defense: 58
    Attack Member
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 44
    Badges: (View All)
    50 Poll Votes 10 Poll Votes Invisible
Re: Maybe RPGWO still has a future.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 10:46:26 am »
Surprisingly, the only reason it can't work is because Mickey has no interest in doing so. Otherwise that is indeed what most players that still check in from time to time seem to want.
(Insert witty signature here)

Offline Jon The Great

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 11:01:34 am »
It takes resources and time to do things well and time is the hard part if you work, have family, or things going on.

Offline Kaios

• Attack: 69
    Defense: 58
    Attack Member
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 44
    50 Poll Votes 10 Poll Votes Invisible
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 11:22:03 am »
That is not even his issue Jon he obviously has zero interest in improving the only version of Rpgwo that people give a wolf about. Clearly however he has time to work on some stupid minecraft copy or whatever the hell this is supposed to be.
(Insert witty signature here)

Offline Saint

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 05:25:06 pm »
Mickey has stated he doesn't want to work on v2 anymore. It is years old at this point. I've said it before and i'll say it again, he should open source the actual v2 game code. Let somebody take the reigns that is willing to put some time and effort into it.

Offline Sacrifice

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 05:34:43 pm »
Well the main issue is the fact that RPGWO v2 was made in a super old programming language, as well as that all the art would have to be re done which takes either time and money. I don't know if he necessarily doesn't want to work with v2 its the fact that he would have to remake v2 from the ground up in a different programming language. I mean he was inching ever closer to something like v2 with v6 but people just constantly talked wolf about it.

I don't think anyone really has all the facts though.

Offline Powerfox

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 06:12:04 am »
Currently were in an era of 8 bit rogue like games that are receiving extreme popularity. Instead of constantly developing newer versions of RPGWO. Why not polish up V2 and try to get it on steam? I think it would have tremendous success with the current atmosphere of games. Obviously i expect to be told why this can't happen but hey its just a thought.

I definitely think there is a market for the game right now, it just never really took off like other free online games around the same time did back then.  To this day no other games have nailed the unforgiving sandbox MMO like RPGWO did.

That is not even his issue Jon he obviously has zero interest in improving the only version of Rpgwo that people give a wolf about. Clearly however he has time to work on some stupid minecraft copy or whatever the hell this is supposed to be.

Yeah I can appreciate that Mickey probably just likes doing hobbyist game design so he hops around projects, not to be harsh but one of the only things about him that has always stuck with me is that he seems to have a pretty short attention span and jumps around/moves onto new ideas very quickly, which is why I have never really trusted that any of his projects will take off in any capacity before it is abandoned for a new idea.   It's fair enough if that's what he wants to do and is enjoying it, but I guess it depends if he also wants to have a successful/even moderately popular game.

The point still stands though, that none of the newer versions of RPGWO have been nearly as good as the old ones in aesthetic, UI and gameplay.  I gave each one a chance as it came but they seemed to be really clunky and just generally ugly looking, iirc everything after V2 suffered from serious visual diarrhea and felt really clunky.

V1/V2 were really ahead of their time and struck a great balance, the game could have been much much bigger but nobody really knew about it in the same way they did with games like RS and Tibia. Trying to reinvent the wheel over and over and over clearly didn't work, the time would have been better spent directly porting V2 to C#, working on improving that and adding more features to give the game some longevity past mindless grinding and now with Steam/Reddit/etc it would be fairly easy to give the game a lot of exposure (F2P on Steam is basically guaranteed to get thousands of people alone to try it alone), more so when you can advertise it as a 'procgen sandbox RPG with basebuilding, PVP' etc, which is a massive market right now.

Releasing source code of V2 wouldn't help the game at all aside from maybe someone having a small private server with some changed stuff.  I would fully support the release of it anyway though if it definitely isn't going to be worked on, I have been working on some projects involving procedural generation and I'd definitely be interested to know how it was implemented in RPGWO since that was one of the first games I ever saw it in.

Also first post in 8 years.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 06:21:53 am by Powerfox »

Offline doomkitten666

• Attack: 87
    Defense: 88
    Attack Member
  • little dino fulu lives in my ore box
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 23
    Karma Karma Bad Level 5
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 06:31:52 pm »
soooo someone wanna set up a server plox? i might be able to get a host ouo just need someone who knows what their doing wif a v1 or 2 world :D

what we need

1) Purrson who has exp working with a steeltide server set up
2) Purrson who has exp working with a Lunitik Server set up =**
3) Purrson who has exp working with a ARC 3k set up -***
4) Purrson who has played and who can help balance and make fair Phobos Server set up x*

@@@admins will be responseable for setting up and coming up with quests, general codeing for quests if they want special stuff, cuz im just a cat and i dont do that wolf xD

@@admins will deal wif other such stuff, basicly sort appeals and suchs to make the @@@admins job easier

@admins are to be comminity managers basicly talk to players be friendly if plays have ideas they can talk to them and see if they could be implemented into the game in some way if they meet the requirements, such is items, skills, skins, ect, general ideas to help in the growth of a server.

every body who plays does their part to make the game grow a working system to keep rpg going in bigger and better places mickey has created a seedling, while his adhd has him poping from project to project maybe if we can build on what he has given us we can push him into a little rpgwo race war ouo littke King Mickey Vs The Worlds Of RPG

just saying i can get us a server to host game just need someone to help set up and maintain the server

PS! all servers should also advertise the website and forums

That Kat Thingy Over There
i remade alot but its zevy guys xD or heartless or Doom Kitten take a pick xP go away gary i dont want chur babies

Offline Powerfox

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 08:39:54 pm »
Tempted to sort something out just for the sake of trying, for one to have another taste of the game after like 10 years of not playing it and for another to try and give it a bit of a promote on some other sites and see if its possible to actually get a decent amount of people playing again.

Even if it never took off or failed after a few months I wouldn't mind so much, I'm more interested to see like above if in its current state people who have never played it before still find it fun. If it was successful then maybe it'd show the powers that be that the core of 2.0 is where the game was at its best.

Offline mechanical keyboard enthusiast

• Attack: 3682
    Defense: 2735
    Attack Member
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 25
    Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 08:50:31 pm »
Purrson?
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline Doogles

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 04:21:37 pm »
RPGWO could definitely take off, especially if it had some compatibility through steam and being able to run a server more easily.  Almost like how ARK has their server stuffs set up. 

I wouldn't have the time to devote wholeheartedly into it, but I could definitely get involved to some extent, perhaps for some story/player involvement kind of things.

How's it going. Zevy?
A.K.A. Yuji

Offline Powerfox

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 05:00:24 pm »
I have been messing around with a local server and getting to grips with things again since it has been around 10 years since we ran our server and I last touched 2.0.  Also been writing up some promotional stuff to be posted on Reddit, other forums etc.

With what I said about the world gen a few posts above, I was surprised that it was far more simple than I remembered just by looking at it. A few years ago I worked on my own procedural map generator in C# with RPGWO's style in mind (Complete with plot/sector lines), its far from complete but I have a lot of notes on how there are a lot of extra methods you can apply to create far more interesting and complex terrain past a simple cloud heightmap.

Would be interesting to fix it up and get it to export to a format readable by the server (Which I haven't looked at yet), then it'd be possible to create and use terrain completely different from standard 2.0.

Offline mechanical keyboard enthusiast

• Attack: 3682
    Defense: 2735
    Attack Member
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 25
    Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 05:10:25 pm »
i'm more interested in floating sector maps with a full wall of teleports linking them..

Offline Powerfox

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 05:13:31 pm »
i'm more interested in floating sector maps with a full wall of teleports linking them..

What exactly do you mean by that? For example special maps that are completely detached from the main world?

Also I have to say although I definitely think there is a place for a 'traditional' MMO type server like RPGWO had, I think the 1 plot no-PK servers captured the sandbox spirit of the game a lot better.  I always loved server wipes and that initial scramble for people to try and buy good plots, get their skills up and work out the runes/plants/trying to be the first to get stuff like this and make some money from it.

On a similar note to that, in one of my posts many years ago I mentioned that RPGWO gets boring at endgame when you have reached the highest tier in all your crafting skills and you are just mindlessly grinding combat XP.  Looking at sandbox survival games today, I think RPGWO would benefit from some kind of 'seasonal' wipe, where you could say have a standard server which is permanent for those who want to set characters forever, but a separate seasonal server that had a full wipe cycle of an amount of months that would have to be determined.  If 2.0 ever had any form of official support again, this could be extended into having seasonal leaderboards and some kind of cosmetic reward or immortalisation in game for people who were at the top of their skills, and like a hall of fame with statues for players that were the max level.

That kinda thing, is a way to increase longevity and keep the game fresh. Especially if during seasons new content was worked on, then at the start of a new season comes with a huge content patch.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself here, but if Mickey gets around to reading this I just wanted to highlight the fact that despite the game is very old, there is so much you can still do to modernize it without changing the core gameplay too much.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 05:16:09 pm by Powerfox »

Offline Roarion

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 09:50:29 pm »

What exactly do you mean by that? For example special maps that are completely detached from the main world?

Yes floating maps are extra special maps that you can warp in and out of. I believe the only advantage to them is that you can make the map perma light or dark. Disadvantages to them is I believe they are limited in size to 200x200 and you can't have any underground. If you think your quests might really push the limits of size in the game I would recommend making your world bigger and wall the extra parts off for your own personal use like many did in V1.

There use to be an interesting feature where players could buy a token, place it on the ground and then they would receive there own special warp to a floating map home plot they owned 20x20. I haven't found any reference to this in the game though which makes me think it's possibly been removed (or maybe was scripted).
Asylum - lvl 33 Thrower
Pyramid - lvl 40 Scythe
Dementia - lvl 69 Spear
Nexus V2 - lvl 61 Stealth
Rebirth - lvl 72 Bow
Ganymede - lvl 56 Mage
Hex - lvl 1000 Admin
Future - lvl 1000 Admin
Retired - Unless V6 pulls a miracle
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline Roarion

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2017, 10:00:11 pm »

Also I have to say although I definitely think there is a place for a 'traditional' MMO type server like RPGWO had, I think the 1 plot no-PK servers captured the sandbox spirit of the game a lot better.  I always loved server wipes and that initial scramble for people to try and buy good plots, get their skills up and work out the runes/plants/trying to be the first to get stuff like this and make some money from it.

On a similar note to that, in one of my posts many years ago I mentioned that RPGWO gets boring at endgame when you have reached the highest tier in all your crafting skills and you are just mindlessly grinding combat XP.  Looking at sandbox survival games today, I think RPGWO would benefit from some kind of 'seasonal' wipe, where you could say have a standard server which is permanent for those who want to set characters forever, but a separate seasonal server that had a full wipe cycle of an amount of months that would have to be determined.  If 2.0 ever had any form of official support again, this could be extended into having seasonal leaderboards and some kind of cosmetic reward or immortalisation in game for people who were at the top of their skills, and like a hall of fame with statues for players that were the max level.

That kinda thing, is a way to increase longevity and keep the game fresh. Especially if during seasons new content was worked on, then at the start of a new season comes with a huge content patch.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself here, but if Mickey gets around to reading this I just wanted to highlight the fact that despite the game is very old, there is so much you can still do to modernize it without changing the core gameplay too much.

You're getting way too far ahead of yourself. Build whatever server you want and see if you can keep any substantial amount of players on (20-30).

V2 will never have any official support - it's very clear Mickey is done and would rather try to rewrite the game first. Give up on the dream V2 has been carried by people who loved the game for years not by Micky. I don't believe there are really any of those people around anymore which is why we see no servers currently up.
Asylum - lvl 33 Thrower
Pyramid - lvl 40 Scythe
Dementia - lvl 69 Spear
Nexus V2 - lvl 61 Stealth
Rebirth - lvl 72 Bow
Ganymede - lvl 56 Mage
Hex - lvl 1000 Admin
Future - lvl 1000 Admin
Retired - Unless V6 pulls a miracle

Offline Powerfox

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2017, 11:28:04 pm »

You're getting way too far ahead of yourself. Build whatever server you want and see if you can keep any substantial amount of players on (20-30).

V2 will never have any official support - it's very clear Mickey is done and would rather try to rewrite the game first. Give up on the dream V2 has been carried by people who loved the game for years not by Micky. I don't believe there are really any of those people around anymore which is why we see no servers currently up.

Yeah I fully understand the fact that there's a good chance nothing will come of it and I won't be too disappointed if so, it's just a pity is all.  I was just spitballing about how the game could be modernized a bit, I know all too well the thing of seeing people posting with big ideas and intentions but they are always doomed to fail as its just a small burst of passion and they get bored a few days later/give up at the first hurdle.

I actually realized earlier that I have been going on about 2.0 this whole time but I only very briefly played Skull and didn't enjoy it (I think due to the low XP rates), so I'm actually not all that familiar with 2.0 myself and was thinking back to my time on all the 1.15 PK server iterations. I had it in my head that 2.0 was the last version I played a lot on for some reason.

The UI looks subtly different but other than that I'm really not sure the extent of the changes between 1.15 and 2.0. which leaves me at a bit of a disadvantage.

Offline doomkitten666

• Attack: 87
    Defense: 88
    Attack Member
  • little dino fulu lives in my ore box
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 23
    Karma Karma Bad Level 5
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2017, 01:30:36 pm »
here's the thing. mickey gave us a seedling. hes done his job. lets make it grow. Powerfox has already taken an larger leap then most of us preping for a promotional thingy. now we just need to get a server up and running with atleast upto lvl 400 quests ideally i would like to have the OLD V1 liberty starting island with the old quests along with the +25 mutent hide quest. tbh miss the old lvl 30s still hanging on newb island cuz its was fun. anyways promotions are fine and all we gotta have a product to promote so lets get some brain storming on how to get get a server going so we can promote and try to get some kinda green light situation on steam or something.

as always all credits for the game creation goes to mickey and ut. we're just makeing their brain child grow into a full fledge game
i remade alot but its zevy guys xD or heartless or Doom Kitten take a pick xP go away gary i dont want chur babies

Offline Powerfox

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2017, 02:20:34 pm »
This is where opinions start to differ though...I never saw much appeal personally in Liberty/the non-PK worlds.  The true fun in the game for me lay in the PK sandbox where the entire world was empty and had to be built up and run by players.

Right now like I said I'm at a bit of a disadvantage because it has been quite a long time since I played RPGWO in the first place, and I really don't know exactly how much changed between v1.15 and v2. There aren't really any sets of tried and tests v2 inis that are a good base to start with either.

I spent a little time reversing the .map format used by the server as well, I have most of it figured out but emailed Mickey to see if he could save me some time by giving me a quick rundown of how the map files are saved and he said he'd see what he could dig up.   I have my own 2d procedural terrain generator from a few years ago that I'd like to improve and have it export to the same format so it can be loaded by the server, that way we can have some more unique/realistic terrain generation as the base one although being good for its time is far too blocky/simplistic (I'd probably release the tool for this either way)

I'm not making any promises, I have been jumping on and having a play around on a local server to get a feel for the game again. The inis are fairly self explanatory/easy to manage but without literally just playing the game a lot it's very difficult to know if a given set of ini's is actually balanced for play.

Also remember a good server takes a heck of a lot of time and effort get going. I could crap out a server and a hexed autoupdater in an hour and put it on my dedi but it would die in a few days if it was full of issues and amateur mistakes.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 02:26:50 pm by Powerfox »
Winner Winner x 1 View List

Offline Jon The Great

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2017, 02:33:11 pm »
Good stuff Powerfox i remember the days of the file formats and hexing the updater/client learned a lot back then.