Author Topic: Anyone want to put up a new server?  (Read 5479 times)

Offline Saint

Anyone want to put up a new server?
« on: May 23, 2016, 07:13:26 pm »
Love ganymede but starting to get a tad stale playing off old files. Anyone want to stick one up with newer files? like hex files or something.

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
Re: Anyone want to put up a new server?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 03:14:22 pm »
Love ganymede
damn molds!  I think we've all been waiting for someone to put something up without molds, but don't hold your breath.
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Saint

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 05:42:52 pm »
Exactly, I mean I really am thankful for Ganymede because no one HAS to keep a server up and honestly while the admins don't come around and eddie can't change much at least he doesn't screw with things. We have had some interesting servers like hexed that took strides forward buuuuut the admins tend to get bored it seems and burn the castle to the ground. It's weird because I know there are potentially better servers.I just wish someone was willing to invest the time and work into one and that someone also didn't have emotional problems

Offline Kaios

• Attack: 69
    Defense: 58
    Attack Member
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 44
    50 Poll Votes 10 Poll Votes Invisible
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 12:13:55 pm »
Doesn't really matter what files someone uses without an active admin that can make server side changes
(Insert witty signature here)

Offline Saint

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 01:56:27 pm »
Maybe we could convince Roarion to put one up again. His world was pretty decent and he seemed to know what the heck he was doing. Plus I believe he actually kept the last one he had up, up for over a year right? Roarion if you happen to read this, help us! you're our only hope!

Offline mechanical keyboard enthusiast

• Attack: 3682
    Defense: 2735
    Attack Member
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 25
    Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 04:58:11 pm »
It's summer, is there a Saint's Server to play

Offline Kaios

Attack Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 07:20:52 am »
You guys missed your chance with Roarion already, he spent a lot of time on a server awhile ago that was perfectly fine to play and the fantasy cats chose not to because "nope don't like modern" even though it had aspects from both modern and fantasy server types.

I could probably say the same thing for other admins where their work has gone unappreciated and unused. As the saying goes, you've made your bed now lie in it.

Offline Saint

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 08:08:49 am »
Nooooooooooooo. I repent, I concede, I live in shame and regret. On behalf of rpgwo player's, we didn't know what we had till it was gone! Common Kaios, I know you must miss having a good server too! I beg forgiveness for not knowing what we had till it was gone. Roarion come back!

Offline mechanical keyboard enthusiast

• Attack: 3682
    Defense: 2735
    Attack Member
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 25
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 02:28:14 pm »
I like modern more than m edevel

Offline Gimpy

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2016, 06:15:26 pm »
Not only did he create a great server, but he used completely new ways to pluse gear, smith items, create items, and a load of medium to great quest content, with progressive exp for players who like to play into the 100s.. But non of you simple folks wanted to play..

Offline Saint

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2016, 09:23:23 am »
Jeeeez guys don't you miss these cool servers!? we get it, we suck. Now come back roarion!

Offline Roarion

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 02:08:09 pm »
Jeeeez guys don't you miss these cool servers!? we get it, we suck. Now come back roarion!

Probably unlikely for the following reasons,

1) Not a lot of people play enough of the content for the amount of time put in. Some quests take me 6-7 hrs to make only to have 1 person do them in 20-40 minutes.

2) Wouldn't want to open the same server again and just have people play the same content over.

3) Making new content takes a long time, working now and in my spare time have been playing Overwatch (PC) or working on other personal projects with some new Google APIs.

4) Player base is very small, a number of people abuse macros, banning those people leads to an even small server.

5) Very small population makes traders useless since it's more optimal to be a trader first and then remake with all of your supplies.

6) Hard to host events / other fun stuff with scripts with small number of players. I'm not really interested in going on that ini grind again after making Future from scratch and would be more interested in dealing with server side scripts.

7) A lot of the people I use to play with have quit the game.

8- V2 has limitations on how unique the server can really be. It also has annoying bugs that can be difficult to deal with. The source code for V2 will probably never be released and would cause fragmentation / further difficulty playing or getting new players.

9) I will have to be the sole admin on the server meaning i'll have to deal with any player's request / complaints and general server maintenance. Really liked having Miggi as an admin in the past but people complained about him to death. Mysti was an absolute turd admin / hard to deal with and I just quit with her after her fit about turning big trees into small ones. Still doesn't make sense to me.

10) Lots of people have the Hex / Hexed files and could try to open a server from them, if you have any questions you can directly PM me i've helped a lot of people set up servers. I think only 2 people have the complete bug free Future files. I only shared them with someone I could see making a competent server.

V6 is also being actively worked on? I was hoping that would just be a better overall version of V2 but it seems like it will have different mechanics or is being taking in a different direction. So IDK, I haven't played it in a while so my mistake if that's not the case anymore. If it brings in a bunch of players by some miracle or ever gets finished I wouldn't mind doing some collaboration work on that.

Don't get me wrong I still sometimes feel like making / adding on to my Future server. But the game has much less players then Hex which came out 3-4 (?) years ago and was able to get 50 players somehow during the launch. When Future came out a year (?) ago I can't remember seeing over 20.
Asylum - lvl 33 Thrower
Pyramid - lvl 40 Scythe
Dementia - lvl 69 Spear
Nexus V2 - lvl 61 Stealth
Rebirth - lvl 72 Bow
Ganymede - lvl 56 Mage
Hex - lvl 1000 Admin
Future - lvl 1000 Admin
Retired - Unless V6 pulls a miracle

Offline Roarion

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2016, 02:21:35 pm »
I've had plenty of fun playing this game though. Some of my favorites include Chaos V2, Dementia, and an older modern server (Core?) where they had a ton of player events with stuff like becoming the mayor of the town.

I felt like the game died off a bit with lower quality servers after Hex (although I liked Gary's modern but it lacked later content). I gave it my best shot with the Future world and things didn't really pan out the greatest as far as people playing so i'm fine with leaving it at that.
Asylum - lvl 33 Thrower
Pyramid - lvl 40 Scythe
Dementia - lvl 69 Spear
Rebirth - lvl 72 Bow
Ganymede - lvl 56 Mage
Hex - lvl 1000 Admin
Future - lvl 1000 Admin

Offline King Dravien

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 10:04:16 am »
Roarion is unfortunately right. We are the player base and in reality that's 5-20 people. 10 of those feel getting to level 30 is too hard and give up because of that. 5 of those people play regularly but dont join in events or social conversation. the last remaining people are heavy players (me) who either burn out in the first couple of weeks and take a break, in which time the server dies. or quit entirely out of lack of content/boredom.

I'd love to play a server again and run a guild like i did on Mysti's last server doing little guild events for XP and promoting dedication... but the playerbase just isnt there. we have to accept unless we get a huge influx of return players or new players. RPGWO is done.

RPGWO:
Lvl 91 Staff - Steeltide
Lvl 97 Crossbow - Nulona
Lvl 47 Thrower - Shadow
Lvl 61 Axe - Ataxia
Lvl 82 Staff - Asylum
Lvl 94 Halberd - Nexus
Lvl 82 Shockwave Cannon - Future
Lvl 66 Stealth Xbow - Carnage

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2016, 04:57:57 pm »
we have to accept unless we get a huge influx of return players or new players. RPGWO is done.
kind of hard to get new players when there is nothing to play...I miss the days of 2-4 servers all being up and active at the same time.  RPGWO really was a great game!
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Roarion

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2016, 10:04:47 am »
we have to accept unless we get a huge influx of return players or new players. RPGWO is done.
kind of hard to get new players when there is nothing to play...I miss the days of 2-4 servers all being up and active at the same time.  RPGWO really was a great game!

People have been making that excuse for a while now. It's not that a good server isn't up, it's that people don't play the game anymore. Literally no new players and the existing ones have dwindled down to near nothing now as the years have gone by. Some admins can identify near everyone on the server just by geo-locating IPs by state/country.... lol.
Asylum - lvl 33 Thrower
Pyramid - lvl 40 Scythe
Dementia - lvl 69 Spear
Rebirth - lvl 72 Bow
Ganymede - lvl 56 Mage
Hex - lvl 1000 Admin
Future - lvl 1000 Admin

Offline Kaios

Attack Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2016, 10:36:22 am »
People have been making that excuse for a while now. It's not that a good server isn't up, it's that people don't play the game anymore. Literally no new players and the existing ones have dwindled down to near nothing now as the years have gone by. Some admins can identify near everyone on the server just by geo-locating IPs by state/country.... lol.

So many people use different names on a new server too and you don't even need an IP address to tell who they are most of the time, usually their typing style or mannerisms give it away

Offline Generic Black Guy

• Attack: 91
    Defense: 89
    Attack Member
  • in it for the lolz
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 26
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2016, 08:59:27 am »
Real life has forced me from my gaming habits. Between working and classes I *might* get a couple hours of personal time to do something other than school work or house work. I miss RPGWO. I miss Kaios' relentless murder sprees, Miss Drav's guild. Miss everyone I played with. But it takes a massive amount of hard work to make a server and keep it going, all for no personal benefit. In this day and age that is almost unheard of. Especially when you have to put food on the table.
"Where ever white people go, you damn sure know we will follow."
Black Motto