2 (14.3%)
Sound
0 (0%)
Events
0 (0%)
Advertise - We need more players!
2 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: What major feature to work on next? Part 2  (Read 4217 times)

Offline Mickey Kudlo

What major feature to work on next? Part 2
« on: May 03, 2016, 03:44:51 pm »
After spending a whole month working on Town code, I want to change gears and focus on something else and let the dust settle on Towns.
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Sacrifice

Re: What major feature to work on next? Part 2
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 08:37:23 pm »
That fishing yo!

Offline Pepin

• Attack: 12
    Defense: 13
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
    • Email

• Total Badges: 37
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 02:28:15 pm »
Dungeons.
Player partying..
You can do it, we believe in you.
#

Offline dallasmc

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 12:47:55 am »
movement, its kind of slow and glitchy, old rpgwo movement was much better.

Offline Argomer

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 04:12:55 pm »
You know you can change the movement to the old v1/v2 settings in the Option tab, by setting the Movement to "No Scrolling"?

Offline Cal

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 05:34:50 pm »
Bit late, but it would be cool to see a browser-based implementation of the front-end. HTML5 canvas and some JavaScript to implement a client. Not sure how C# does with webservers, but it could be pretty cool.

Cal

Offline Jon The Great

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 08:24:42 pm »
Bit late, but it would be cool to see a browser-based implementation of the front-end. HTML5 canvas and some JavaScript to implement a client. Not sure how C# does with webservers, but it could be pretty cool.

Cal
Was tried at one point with C# with siliverlight. But silverlight was killed by microsoft and browsers in general.

Offline Mongo

• Attack: 91
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

• Total Badges: 29
    Sixth year Anniversary 10 Poll Votes Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 10:05:22 am »
I think I already know the answer to this, but are any major features even being worked on? Kinda got the impression development on this had died (again).

Mickey, if you feel unmotivated to work on stuff due to a lack of players joining the server when it is up, don't take that too seriously. I would pop on for a bit to see what had changed but it's far from serious play. People won't play the game for any length of time this early in development. I would suggest having actual "releases" where you launch a server (with beforehand notice to players) with a set of features in place, even if the server only runs for a couple weeks. Then obtain feedback at the end.

In the meantime, if you want players to test the current version of the game, write out test cases. Tell us what we should be able to do in this version, where we should be able to get and what should work. If you just host it and say "log in and play around", we're not going to be motivated to do much.
Shoop!

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 11:41:22 am »
@Mongo, yeah that makes sense to set up a guide for people to test things. Pretty much the "whatsnew" does kinda point out stuff to test.

I haven't done any work on V6 lately because of a data corruption issue that happened back in summer. Wasn't sure what happened and it pissed me off and was very frustrating so I decided I needed a break. I had been working on V6 for a good solid 1.5 years, if people didn't noticed. Currently, I have V6 running on a laptop at my home, seeing if the same data issue pops up. It would at least tell me if it a machine or code issue. Running a 2000x2000 world, with sim rules, creates a lot of item data, so will see in a few months.

I kinda feel like I need to redo the client and make it simpler or convert to OpenGL or AGK for cross platform. But that a big task, being a huge step back, for 2 steps forward. People complain the client too "bulky" ... not sure wtf that means either.

Would rather implement magic.

Offline Mongo

Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 11:55:20 am »
Honestly, it's been quite a while since I've loaded up the client, I kept having issues with the error "The specified executable is not a valid application for this OS platform.".

If I remember correctly, my #1 complaint was how movement felt. It was very sluggish and looked weird. Overall felt like you were trying to move through mud. Possibly the speed could be kept the same and somehow the visuals be modified so it felt better, I'm not sure.

Beyond that, it felt like you went a little overboard with the usage, having WAYY too many steps and items required for some basic items. I recall having 5 different types of rocks in my inventory with seemingly very little differences between them but they all had a different purpose. Maybe I just didn't understand the system in place.

The GUI felt a little clunky but I seem to recall it having been fixed up a bit..

One of the biggest things I remember feeling when loading into v6 was that I was loading into a messy desolate wasteland. Spawning in the middle of nowhere in a field scattered with rocks and flies felt .. gross. I remember trying to describe it in another post and really failing. It didn't feel natural, it felt like a junkyard. And having no central hub (starting town) to spawn into, it felt like aimless wandering.

I don't really see the need to redo the client because it's too "bulky" (I'm with you in not really knowing what that means), but if cross platform is a serious goal that makes sense. I do feel like that might be stretching yourself a bit thin on a project that's already frustrating you though - might be best to keep it simple.

Shoop!

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 03:16:59 pm »
Honestly, it's been quite a while since I've loaded up the client, I kept having issues with the error "The specified executable is not a valid application for this OS platform.".

Was that on Win 8? Was that when you installed the updater or ran the updater or the updater tried to run the client?

If I remember correctly, my #1 complaint was how movement felt. It was very sluggish and looked weird. Overall felt like you were trying to move through mud. Possibly the speed could be kept the same and somehow the visuals be modified so it felt better, I'm not sure.

Yes, probably cuz... you were running in mud, heh. It was confusing and I eventually added an indicator icon in the upper left that shows what is slowing you down. The 3 I recall are swimming, mud and over-burden.

Beyond that, it felt like you went a little overboard with the usage, having WAYY too many steps and items required for some basic items. I recall having 5 different types of rocks in my inventory with seemingly very little differences between them but they all had a different purpose. Maybe I just didn't understand the system in place.

I did have a lot of steps for some things, like making coins is a good example. I did simplify some and I am sure there are others that need reducing.

The GUI felt a little clunky but I seem to recall it having been fixed up a bit..

Yeah, maybe the issue is the game is complicated with a lot of data to deal with and it can be over whelming. Perhaps a client with a full world view then it opens up windows for carry, stats, etc as needed, kinda like how a lot of RPGs work today. 3D ones for sure.
Like this http://l2internet.com/img/browser-based-games-mmorpg/fantasy-online-browser-based-mmorpg-screenshot.jpg

One of the biggest things I remember feeling when loading into v6 was that I was loading into a messy desolate wasteland. Spawning in the middle of nowhere in a field scattered with rocks and flies felt .. gross. I remember trying to describe it in another post and really failing. It didn't feel natural, it felt like a junkyard. And having no central hub (starting town) to spawn into, it felt like aimless wandering.

Yeah, you basically described what a sandbox game is, I think. V1/V2 had item clean up and less active natural worlds so it would be neater. All the seeds in V6 drive me nuts, messying up the maps, it would be on my list to fix.
I do realize, V6 needs starter towns. Even if they just a few traders. Then let the rest of the town get built by players.

I don't really see the need to redo the client because it's too "bulky" (I'm with you in not really knowing what that means), but if cross platform is a serious goal that makes sense. I do feel like that might be stretching yourself a bit thin on a project that's already frustrating you though - might be best to keep it simple.

RPGWO V5 was cross platform using AGK/OpenGL but not sure why I stopped work on it. Probably didn't have the "RPGWO feel" since I drew the GUI.

I probably should start a new thread titled: How to make V6 more classic looking/feeling. And see how badly I get trashed.

Offline Mongo

Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 03:41:53 pm »
Was that on Win 8? Was that when you installed the updater or ran the updater or the updater tried to run the client?

It was when running the updater I believe. We discussed it a bit in this topic a while ago: http://rpgwoforums.net/index.php?topic=4759.msg75759 (god, that was almost 2 years ago? where the hell did the time go..)

Yes, probably cuz... you were running in mud, heh. It was confusing and I eventually added an indicator icon in the upper left that shows what is slowing you down. The 3 I recall are swimming, mud and over-burden.

Nooo, it was normal terrain. Movement in general felt that way. If you had the same movement speed in V2 as you did in V6 and ran then side by side, somehow V2 felt fine and V6 felt slow and sluggish. Maybe somehow animating the movement between tiles makes it feel slower? I guess if that's the case then there's nothing really to be done about it.

Yeah, maybe the issue is the game is complicated with a lot of data to deal with and it can be over whelming. Perhaps a client with a full world view then it opens up windows for carry, stats, etc as needed, kinda like how a lot of RPGs work today. 3D ones for sure.
Like this http://l2internet.com/img/browser-based-games-mmorpg/fantasy-online-browser-based-mmorpg-screenshot.jpg

Yeah, I don't know much about GUI design so I don't know what would look and feel good. Maybe someone artistically skilled could take a whack at a concept.

Yeah, you basically described what a sandbox game is, I think.

Maybe a bit, but the world didn't look natural. It looks like the animals had a big party and only partially cleaned up. Might just be the more minute details of world generation though combined with the (not especially attractive) art style.

I probably should start a new thread titled: How to make V6 more classic looking/feeling. And see how badly I get trashed.

I'm sure there will be all sorts of opinions on this but I don't think there's any problem with making V6 look (and sound) a little more modern. I loved RPGWO for the open world, building, skill system, exploring.. all the actual GAME elements. The art style, graphics and sounds were never particularly amazing (to me). Once you mute the crickets and disable system beep on new message, the world was mostly silent anyway. And the character /images were incredibly inconsistent. All those elements I think maybe should be outsourced to someone more experienced in those areas .. no offense. How to actually go about doing that I have no idea.
Shoop!

Offline Sacrifice

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 11:49:25 pm »