Author Topic: Some obvious and maybe not so obvious things..  (Read 3271 times)

Offline Zodiak

Some obvious and maybe not so obvious things..
« on: March 17, 2016, 12:07:09 pm »
Code: [Select]
This is my experience with this.. there might be a couple of things people may disagree with..
Obviously the repeating of options on the crafting menu needs to be changed in some manner. At the very least differentiate them by showing the durability of the tool on the crafting menu so if I wanted to use the tool that is almost broken vs the one that is brand new I can do that without guessing.

Stackable items though great cause a huge issue with attempting to move them or pick up what you want, things like seeds and smaller items are close to infuriating to pick up or move if they are stacked with something. Also some images are just plain hard to see on the ground (example: seeds)

It seems entirely too easy to accidentally attack an item. I understand this is a way to essentially destroy any item but I feel like there may be a better option for this which is for another post.

Movement feels super clunky to me, you already heard my request on that front Mickey, but I would at least add the functionality of using the WASD keys to move UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT.. It's a bit more main stream and I feel like for most gamers is more natural feeling then using the Numpad.

Also crafting options, at least for me, cause a huge CPU usage spike depending on how many options there are.

First column obviously being CPU usage

This is idle underground

This is with about 17 options..

This is with about 40 options..

I'll add more later, but this is initial thoughts and issues I've ran into.
I'm just here watching..

Offline Mickey Kudlo

Re: Some obvious and maybe not so obvious things..
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 02:04:56 pm »

Obviously the repeating of options on the crafting menu needs to be changed in some manner. At the very least differentiate them by showing the durability of the tool on the crafting menu so if I wanted to use the tool that is almost broken vs the one that is brand new I can do that without guessing.

I agree, it needs some work. I want to add life bars for sure. Also, expand the info displayed, more images, supply items, etc.

Stackable items though great cause a huge issue with attempting to move them or pick up what you want, things like seeds and smaller items are close to infuriating to pick up or move if they are stacked with something. Also some images are just plain hard to see on the ground (example: seeds)

I just updated with a "multi-view" form that will help with this. Click on a map item that has many items there and a "Multi-View" button shows up in the item info area. Press it and it opens the form that should make it a lot easier.

It seems entirely too easy to accidentally attack an item. I understand this is a way to essentially destroy any item but I feel like there may be a better option for this which is for another post.

I generally don't have this issue. I use numpad to move, mostly, and Plus/Minus to cycle thru targets then hit Enter key to attack. Non-monsters never get targeted in this way. I rarely use the "Attack" button unless I want to attack normal items, heh. I am open to your suggestions but maybe it linked to WASD below...

Movement feels super clunky to me, you already heard my request on that front Mickey, but I would at least add the functionality of using the WASD keys to move UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT.. It's a bit more main stream and I feel like for most gamers is more natural feeling then using the Numpad.

First off, in Options tab, there is a option for scrolling movement that you should play with. Not sure it related though.
WASD would be a good thing to add but QWE, ASD, ZXC for movement? Or just WASD for now?

Also crafting options, at least for me, cause a huge CPU usage spike depending on how many options there are.

Yes, this is a nasty issue that I need to fix. It is because they are buttons on top of the tactical map. Not sure why it goes nuts but I am gonna just use an image to BLT over instead. The first issue you mentioned is related.
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Zodiak

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 02:45:55 pm »
I just updated with a "multi-view" form that will help with this. Click on a map item that has many items there and a "Multi-View" button shows up in the item info area. Press it and it opens the form that should make it a lot easier.

I just logged on to see this change, it certainly helps.

First off, in Options tab, there is a option for scrolling movement that you should play with. Not sure it related though.
WASD would be a good thing to add but QWE, ASD, ZXC for movement? Or just WASD for now?

I generally don't have this issue. I use numpad to move, mostly, and Plus/Minus to cycle thru targets then hit Enter key to attack. Non-monsters never get targeted in this way. I rarely use the "Attack" button unless I want to attack normal items, heh. I am open to your suggestions but maybe it linked to WASD below...

My honest suggestion would be adding key mapping to the options tab, allows players to move how they want. Some like to click, people like yourself are into the numpad, others are into WASD style, some are even into ESDF (which may be more of a realistic option for how rpgwo moves)
The accidental attacking of things is probably just from me clicking to move around and such, I think also Enter turns on attack which might be something I'm hitting out of habit to stat chatting.

Yes, this is a nasty issue that I need to fix. It is because they are buttons on top of the tactical map. Not sure why it goes nuts but I am gonna just use an image to BLT over instead. The first issue you mentioned is related.

The first bit and last bit were related I figured. Im not sure if you're making this in mind for mobile devices or what, but everything else has a pop up style screen, why not crafting at this point?

I'm just here watching..

Offline King Dravien

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 10:03:21 am »

I just logged on to see this change, it certainly helps.

My honest suggestion would be adding key mapping to the options tab, allows players to move how they want. Some like to click, people like yourself are into the numpad, others are into WASD style, some are even into ESDF (which may be more of a realistic option for how rpgwo moves)
The accidental attacking of things is probably just from me clicking to move around and such, I think also Enter turns on attack which might be something I'm hitting out of habit to stat chatting.

The first bit and last bit were related I figured. Im not sure if you're making this in mind for mobile devices or what, but everything else has a pop up style screen, why not crafting at this point?

ZODIAK HERROOOOO
RPGWO:
Lvl 91 Staff - Steeltide
Lvl 97 Crossbow - Nulona
Lvl 47 Thrower - Shadow
Lvl 61 Axe - Ataxia
Lvl 82 Staff - Asylum
Lvl 94 Halberd - Nexus
Lvl 82 Shockwave Cannon - Future
Lvl 66 Stealth Xbow - Carnage

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 03:00:23 am »
not sure if I should start a new thread for this, but in the list of updates you said:
- added support for usages to allow different skills for the same usage, for areas of skill overlap, like now mining and blacksmith can smelt ore/items down to bars, before just mining could

if you have mining and smithing, and you smelt bars:
does it give xp for both(split between them or full xp to both)? 
if not can you select which skill it uses(ie your mining is higher than your smithing but you want smithing xp)? 
do you use just the highest skill level to determine work or do both count(ie 30 mining 20 smith will give you 5 work instead of the 3 from mining or 2 from smithing)?
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 10:12:25 am »
Here is a excerpt from usage.ini...

Code: [Select]
Usage

Tool=[Tin Small]

Focus=[Furnace]

SuccessTool=Small Tin Bar

ResetLife

Work=10

StoreWorkInTool

Skill=Mining
Skill=Blacksmith

SkillMin=5
SkillMax=15

Luck=0

Stamina=1

SuccessMsg=You refine the item.
FailedMsg=You fail to refine the item.

It first checks if you have Mining trained and uses that else it checks if Blacksmith is trained and uses that. It goes in order it is in the usage.ini file. It doesn't split the XP. It doesn't look for the higher skill to use. It probably should use the higher skill though. It would suck if you have a high Blacksmith, smelting Tungsten all day long, then trained Mining at a low level, then couldn't smelt much of anything. But generally players have mining trained first but not always.
I will change it to use the higher skill.
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!