Author Topic: Abilities and magic  (Read 2788 times)

Offline yeahs

Abilities and magic
« on: February 08, 2016, 01:56:43 am »
I think abilities and magic should be the next focus. I was always intrigued by games with lots of spells so you can explore different possible gameplay styles. I think RPGWO should try and emulate Achaea for instance the MUD. I think blue magic has huge potential.

Offline Mickey Kudlo

Re: Abilities and magic
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 01:06:17 pm »
Yes, I agree that magic needs to get implemented very soon. I can't do it before I wipe in a few weeks though so it will need to wait but once the dust settles after the wipe, I will work on it. There are a few things I need to do for the wipe to support magic tho, like adding Magnetite to the mining ores. Maybe add "spell stones" to mining ores that get combined with wood sticks in order to make wands. Not sure. Probably will wait and see before I add wand making.

Can you give some more detail about abilities and Achaea MUD? Maybe a wiki link I can look at.
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 03:04:49 pm »
your spell stones made me think magic stones, which sounds like the place a sorcerer would hate to be kicked... ;D

you might not like this, but when I was playing around with server files I had an idea for staves1:
-start with a branch
-carve branch to get basic staff
-imbue staff with potions2
-add trinket(s)3

1:I made staves default magic weapons and got rid of wands, but it would work with wands too.
2:different potion would give different base staff, ie:(using old V1/V2 numbers) use a mana potion to get 50 skill staff, intelligence potion to get 100 skill staff, wisdom potion to get 250 skill staff, and these are changed more with trinkets
3:could be items dropped by monsters, crafted items, quest items, or very complex items made from a monster drop and a quest item
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 04:13:01 pm »
I was thinking of being able to make any weapon a "wand" item, in addition to staves.

So, I am wondering how does a stick, metal rod, sphere, weapon, etc. become an official "wand" that can conduct, control and release magic?
- add some kind of magic stone to it
- use a potion on it
- beat it like it owes you money

Different stones could give higher power levels or boosts to certain magics.

The more wood in a "wand" the more "storage" and release maybe.
- wand, small wood amount, fast casting, lower power level
- rod/scepter, medium wood amount, medium casting, medium power
- staff, large wood amount, slow casting, high power

Orbs could be glass that contain pre-cast spells that you just point and release with no mana or rune cost. You spend it filling the orb earlier. Could also be mana wells that refill your mana up whenever it is not at max. Hold a wand in one hand and an orb in the other. I guess mana potions do the same thing essentially.

But adding "magic stones" to the ore list just gives Miners more power and they already have a lot now. So maybe just pure wood like how bows are, not needing metal ores from a miner.
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline yeahs

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 09:55:07 pm »
http://wiki.achaea.com/Category:Classes

I really like the alchemist, druid abilities. but also the apostle is cool which has necromancery abilities.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 09:58:24 pm by yeahs »

Offline Flambelk

• Attack: 95
    Defense: 92
    Attack Member
  • Plundering the Internet since 1996.
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 29
    Badges: (View All)
    Invisible Tenth year Anniversary Karma Good
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 03:54:22 pm »
Maybe add "spell stones" to mining ores that get combined with wood sticks in order to make wands. Not sure. Probably will wait and see before I add wand making.
You could craft thos spells stones out of raw jewels.

Back in the day, I worked in a V1 server which had summoning spells, similar to making golems.

There was in this spell that created Soul Orbs (mana expensive, fuel-sort of item that looked like a Zircon orb), and players could summon creatures out of this orbs, just like golems. Except you summoned drakes and other magic creatures.
The signature you entered contains possibly offensive language. Please change it.