Poll

What you think about adding left and right facing?

Yes, I want it.
3 (75%)
No, I do not want it.
1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Directional facing.  (Read 1387 times)

Offline GroovyGuy

Directional facing.
« on: August 26, 2015, 05:45:01 pm »
Make it so images get flipped towards the X-axis they are moving or facing.
Example: Watch Luigi

If you move left you face left and if you move right you face right.

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
Re: Directional facing.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 07:14:27 pm »
what happens if you're standing still or going up or down?  I'd rather see real content than have something thats going to take a lot of time coding that does little more than change the look of your character for a moment...

also why the option to select 2 choices when there are only 2 choices?
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Roarion

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 11:34:46 pm »
what happens if you're standing still or going up or down?  I'd rather see real content than have something thats going to take a lot of time coding that does little more than change the look of your character for a moment...

also why the option to select 2 choices when there are only 2 choices?

I doubt this would take long to implement since all you're doing is checking which way the person pressed and then flipping the pixel data / image if the player was the wrong way.

Going up/down/not moving does nothing to the image.

I think it's a cool idea and loved paper Mario. Something I would also like to see once v6 gets to a more complete point.
Asylum - lvl 33 Thrower
Pyramid - lvl 40 Scythe
Dementia - lvl 69 Spear
Nexus V2 - lvl 61 Stealth
Rebirth - lvl 72 Bow
Ganymede - lvl 56 Mage
Hex - lvl 1000 Admin
Future - lvl 1000 Admin
Retired - Unless V6 pulls a miracle

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 12:11:41 am »
I doubt this would take long to implement since all you're doing is checking which way the person pressed and then flipping the pixel data / image if the player was the wrong way.

I think it's a cool idea and loved paper Mario. Something I would also like to see once v6 gets to a more complete point.
you're forgetting about attacking.  if an archer is running away shooting(standard stuff) then s/he'd have to turn to shoot while still running...it will take some time to code unless its just a half done version.  plus you now need 4(8 for diagonal movement) times as many images for players as you needed before just for basics, not to mention carry/wear images...and to top it off I think Mickey is still planning to add walk/run animations, so you'd need 4(8 for diagonals) versions of that instead of just 1. 

I get it, looking the direction you're going seems like something that should be in the game.  however, there are a lot of other things that really need to be there that aren't and this 1 is just cosmetic.
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Roarion

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 07:21:58 am »

you're forgetting about attacking.  if an archer is running away shooting(standard stuff) then s/he'd have to turn to shoot while still running...it will take some time to code unless its just a half done version.  plus you now need 4(8 for diagonal movement) times as many images for players as you needed before just for basics, not to mention carry/wear images...and to top it off I think Mickey is still planning to add walk/run animations, so you'd need 4(8 for diagonals) versions of that instead of just 1.  

I get it, looking the direction you're going seems like something that should be in the game.  however, there are a lot of other things that really need to be there that aren't and this 1 is just cosmetic.

If images don't flip (like V2) then you're still facing the wrong way as an archer half the time. If it's auto-lock on (guard) then I don't think it makes much of a difference. You don't need any new images. I'm assuming in V2 he reads in the image data from .bmps, and then renders it directly to some canvas. All you need to do is re-get that image data and flip the data around (probably by some matrix transformation). No new images.

I think GroovyGuy pretty much wants the half baked version where just your image flips and nothing else, and like I said, "Something I would also like to see once v6 gets to a more complete point.".
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 07:25:30 am by Roarion »
Asylum - lvl 33 Thrower
Pyramid - lvl 40 Scythe
Dementia - lvl 69 Spear
Nexus V2 - lvl 61 Stealth
Rebirth - lvl 72 Bow
Ganymede - lvl 56 Mage
Hex - lvl 1000 Admin
Future - lvl 1000 Admin
Retired - Unless V6 pulls a miracle

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 11:54:52 am »
Code wise it is not too difficult. The main issue is the artwork. About half the animals, like rats and mongrel, have a directional facing so it will work well for them. The other half, like spiders and golems, don't, so they will have no effect and will require changes. Plus the current player image, a place holder for now, isn't directional either.

Hopefully dynamic player images will come soon, maybe within a month, so I would need to decide before I draw the base images, whether to do this or not. Will draw some test images before I decide.

But cosmetic things like this will be important if we want to attract and keep a more diverse player base.
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Sacrifice

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 02:58:13 pm »
i like this type of directional facing