Author Topic: The Story  (Read 1738 times)

Offline Mickey Kudlo

The Story
« on: August 21, 2015, 03:34:16 pm »
I don't recall posting about the main, base story too much. It would be on a screen to show clients right before they create a new player.

Basic outline:
- New continent discovered
- go explore and exploit

Centuries have come and gone. Human kind has established itself well in the known land among the other races. But the history of how humans arrived there had been lost. Deep down they knew the answer lay across the sea but no ship has ever returned from a voyage there... until now. A fool hardy captain, making a drunken bet to prove it could be done, set sail with her ship and crew into the unknown. What they found was incredible... a new continent has been discovered!
Full of  resources, mystery and danger, the captain and her crew barely made it home alive to tell the tale. Loaded down with strange plants, animals and artifacts, the captain reported all to the king. The king promptly issued a mandate that any willing and able bodied person should go and explore and exploit the new land.
That means you!

Or something to that effect.

Then what happens in the new land could be dynamic since we will wipe every 3 months, I could have a new "plot" each time. I already have a few in mind but will keep them to myself for you to get killed by later, I mean... for you to discover and conquer... yeah.

I also want to add to the player creation screen, a special option that affects the player when they arrive to the new continent.
Something like:
- Take a safe ship, arrive at a safe spot but have no spare money
- Take a half safe ship, arrive close, have some spare money, like 50 copper
- Take a crappy ship, arrive far off safe spot, get 100 copper, enough for a quick land claim
- Take a ship wreck, heh, you land with no tools, some random items washed up on shore, arrive far off safe spot, random copper 0 to 200
- Take smuggler ship, land at pirate cove (if one exists), get negative prestige, 100 copper
- Born at new land (if a human NPC couple exists there), not sure what to get, but slow XP gain for first 10 levels but get a lot of tools and a house

Not sure but would spice it up instead of everyone landing at the same spot.
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
Re: The Story
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 04:38:19 pm »
does the captain have to be a lady?  they're bad with directions you know... ;D

as far as your different start areas: I like the idea, but what if you're a fighter and end up far away from any crafters?  you'll have nothing but your starter weapon and won't be able to get any armor.  on the other hand, what if you're a crafter and end up completely surrounded by monsters?  I'm guessing start areas(no matter where) will attune you to that spot so if you're in the middle of high level monsters when you start and they just spawn kill you repeatedly you're screwed.

I think a better idea might be to add background infos for characters, and based on some of the choices made at character creation start at different points around the map(having more than 1 town/safe area in other words instead of completely random).  for example a farmhand who wants his own farm would go to a larger settlement, so they would be at main town area.  a criminal looking for a new start(or new victims) would want to get far away where they won't be recognized...and start at some small port that doesn't offer much.  a soldier(better starter weapon?) would be sent to a military base, probably more monsters around, but still a few basics and shouldn't be too far from main town area.  those probably aren't the best ways, but you get what I mean hopefully.
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline hazze

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 05:24:45 pm »
when it comes to theorycrafting starts/landrush, i'd probably just have my group use the «  Take a ship wreck, heh, you land with no tools, some random items washed up on shore, arrive far off safe spot, random copper 0 to 200 » option

assuming there's even a small chance of good random items, and a 50%+ chance of getting better than 100 copper from the previous entry, it seems like the potential best return. but then again, how does it handle potentially recreating/deleting characters after dropping start gear?

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 05:36:34 pm »
wow I took that as instead of always getting start tools from each skill you start with you'd have a small chance(30-50%) of getting them.  Mickey we need more details!

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 05:46:25 pm »
Backgrounds we can add later since it really only affects starter items and maybe attributes. And not sure about having it since the attributes and skills you choose ARE your background, really.

As far as a choice of where to land, for now I think I want it to be simple with no risk or bonuses to your start items.
Assuming coming from East to West on a 2000 map:
- North : land 0 to 400 : cold : monsters 4 steps harder (40+ combat skill)
- Middle-North : land 400 to 800 : cool : monsters 2 steps harder (20+ combat skill)
- Middle : land 800 to 1200 : mild : monsters low, easiest
- Middle-South : land 1200 to 1600 : warm : monsters 2 steps harder (20+ combat skill)
- South : land 1600 to 2000 : hot : monsters 4 steps harder (40+ combat skill)

I guess the risk would be for traders going to the extreme north/south and monsters getting them. For warriors, the middle sections may be too low to really level fast plus over hunted and less loot.

If you die, you resurrect back on the off-map mainland and thus get back on the boat and go back randomly to your previous choice, so you could be off by 400 from original spot. There would be no protection at your landing spot which is basically where the boat kicked you off at. You just show up on a shoreline. But if you find or create a lifestone to attune to then you resurrect there. They will be scattered in ruins and places on the continent.

I feel this is something I need to code before NPCs.
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 06:15:55 pm »
If you die, you resurrect back on the off-map mainland and thus get back on the boat and go back randomly to your previous choice, so you could be off by 400 from original spot. There would be no protection at your landing spot which is basically where the boat kicked you off at. You just show up on a shoreline. But if you find or create a lifestone to attune to then you resurrect there. They will be scattered in ruins and places on the continent.
guessing ruins will have monsters to kill...I like the general idea, but to be that far from home could be really bad.  food bar is usually low when you die, with all items dropped on death(unless you've changed your mind about that) that means you're likely to starve and die again before getting back home.  you'll have no weapons or armor since they dropped when you died, so you can't fight through monsters to get where you need to go.  I like the idea of being able to spawn in different areas(means there won't be quite as much overcrowding), but there needs to be some actual points where you start.  ie start town in center(noob start point) that, once you're farther along in coding, will have some buildings and NPCs for starter type stuff.  forts in the +40 areas since thats going to be the big fighter area it should have the fewest buildings and npcs of any start area(a lifestone 1 quest guy and a few walls?).  the middle areas should be middling a few buildings and maybe 1 or 2 NPCs.  land should also be cheaper in the harder areas, if land will cost 100 coins in easy area maybe it should be 90 in the middle area and 75 in the hard to make up for the lack of farmable land and resources.