Author Topic: Range Weapons and Melee Defense  (Read 1641 times)

Offline Mickey Kudlo

Range Weapons and Melee Defense
« on: August 12, 2015, 02:55:44 pm »
Those of you who have play tested V6, you hopefully are aware that Melee Defense is gone. It is determined by the weapon you have armed and your skill in it. So a Sword skill of 50 and a Tin Short Sword armed, gives a melee defense of 50. Been working well so far and gives all types some kinda melee defense even if just based off attributes of weapon armed.

With Missle weapons... there are 2 issues:
1 - how is melee defense determined since a bow is not a melee weapon
2 - how is missle defense determined for the target shot at

1 - I was gonna code it so there would be 2 weapon slots: melee and missile. It would switch auto between both depending on what was attacking you and what you were attacking. Decided not to do this cuz seemed to easy to manage but also the system may get confused so just gonna keep the V1/V2 way with one weapon slot. Just use hotkeys to swap out as needed when I code hotkeys of course. So really, what could happen is when a missile player gets melee attacked, the unarmed skill would be used for melee defense. That seems to make sense since 1 hand would be kinda free if not on a bow string. But maybe 50% of Unarmed skill then?

2 - Melee has 3 possible outcomes: miss, defend, hit. A miss is bad aim by the attacker. A defend is the target deflecting/blocking the incoming attack. A hit, is a hit. Can do the same, increasing miss chance with distance to target. Maybe just do the same thing, using the armed weapon skill to deflect the incoming projectile but at a reduced rate, like -25% to -33%. I plan a shield skill that would be a full block. Or maybe instead of a reduced skill roll, reduce the damage from the projectile. Not sure but I know I don't want Missile Defense unless we can combine Melee and Missile Defense into a "Defend" skill?
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
Re: Range Weapons and Melee Defense
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 04:04:31 pm »
issues I see with your plan:

-if a person with really high sword skill and no ua has no weapon equipped(say they're getting repairs) even a noob/crafter could hit them
-if a missle attack player wants defense they'll have to train ua along with their ranged weapon(so no one would use range)

on the other hand some bows are pretty big and could be used to block some types of attacks, I mean it would be kind of hard to stab someone with a dagger if they swat your arm with the hard side of a bow.  so maybe some ranged weapons could offer melee defense?  you're planning to add armor at some point, so since you seem pretty set on not having defenses, maybe you could base missle defense on that?  before I say this bit I'd like to state I'm not a fighter and have no plans to be, but I think you should just add defenses!  if you don't then this conversation starts all over again when you start working on magic... :P

also a reply to what you posted in your current task thread: it only feels big because you have small hands! 8)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 04:06:14 pm by Greatest »
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 04:51:40 pm »
Yeah, I am wondering if I should bring back Melee Def and Missile Def.

Magic was gonna be called ... WTFK

Offline Mohegan

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 07:43:25 pm »
Those of you who have play tested V6, you hopefully are aware that Melee Defense is gone. It is determined by the weapon you have armed and your skill in it. So a Sword skill of 50 and a Tin Short Sword armed, gives a melee defense of 50. Been working well so far and gives all types some kinda melee defense even if just based off attributes of weapon armed.

this is awesome
i wish V6 would work for me
Phobos 47 Bow
Shadow 56 Throwing
Hexed 38 Assassin

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 10:28:19 am »
@Mohegan, what exactly is it doing or not doing?

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 12:12:09 am »
So I been coding range weapons, Bow, and I think I have a solution to the whole defense issue... that I made, eeewww.

Whatever weapon you have armed, is your defense skill but:
- if a melee attack to a melee armed target - normal, no penalty/bonus
- if a melee attack to a missile armed target - target gets -25% penalty on skill and weapon get 2x used since it not designed for melee deflection (maybe adding plating can reduce it later on)
- if a missile attack to a melee armed target - target gets -25% penalty on defense skill roll
- if a missile attack to a missile armed target - normal, no penalty/bonus

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 12:30:18 am »
can't wait to see what you decide on magic defense...why do I get a feeling its going to be like rock paper scissors?  range beats magic, magic beats melee, melee beats range...

also what does this mean for crafters who have no weapon equipped?  will every single monster(even the weakest ones) always be able to hit them just because they don't train a weapon skill?  with defenses based on attributes(the V1/V2 way) at higher levels even if a crafter has never been in a fight, monsters like a giant roach or tinker elves that are basic starter monsters on most servers wouldn't be able to hit them.  ie crafter with 200 dex and 10 quickness would have 70 defense, since missle and melee def are both dex quick over 3...not great defense but enough to stop basic little monsters(more if you actually have quickness, but I usually don't).
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?