Author Topic: Phobos style server  (Read 3563 times)

Offline Mohegan

Phobos style server
« on: August 04, 2015, 11:01:37 am »
Considering opening up a V2 server with a phobos style theme. Open PK(past a certain level) with a decent sized world, a basic town, nice sewers to get newbies started. Updated weapons/armours/ etc from latest v2 files. Would like to add some new content. Just wondering if anyone would be into this and if this is worth my time to start getting into. Nothing crazy. Magics would be the classic as well as weapons with maybe some alterations to dagger and throwing. (dont like the idea of being able to have all defs and a wep specced) other than that though....
Phobos 47 Bow
Shadow 56 Throwing
Hexed 38 Assassin

Offline Mohegan

Re: Phobos style server
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 11:03:59 am »
Also need to know what kind of set up I need(computer specs wise) to be able to run server 24/7 for at least 20 people at a time
Phobos 47 Bow
Shadow 56 Throwing
Hexed 38 Assassin

Offline Jon The Great

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 11:05:27 am »
Are you hosting at home? Or getting a vps?

Offline Mohegan

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 11:09:18 am »
Depends. Most likely from home if my wifi can support he bandwith.
Phobos 47 Bow
Shadow 56 Throwing
Hexed 38 Assassin

Offline Kaios

• Attack: 69
    Defense: 58
    Attack Member
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 44
    Badges: (View All)
    50 Poll Votes 10 Poll Votes Invisible
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 11:09:41 am »
There might be interest but I doubt it. I assume Carnage will be fixed (it is down, you're not banned) at some point and players will continue there for the time being. I have no idea how this server is doing in terms of the player base as I haven't logged on it more than one or two times since it opened.

I am also curious to know if anyone is still playing Hexed at all, probably a few of the same people that have been playing it for the past year though.

In any case, my point is that there are currently two servers up right now splitting up the player base and adding in a third is unlikely to help the situation. You would need to wait for an opening if you want a real chance at getting people to play your server.

Also for your information there is already someone that has been working on a server using the Nexus files but they have added in a lot of new content from scratch, it is simply a waiting game at this point for the other worlds to go down or become abandoned or maybe Mickey grows a brain and deals with them appropriately.

Do what you like with this information.

Depending on your computer specs you could probably host a world on it fairly easily but a dedicated server is the better choice.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 11:14:57 am by Kaios »
(Insert witty signature here)

Offline Mohegan

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 11:16:07 am »
Well I log into hexed occasionally and the few people that still play there would love to see a Open PK phobos style world. I don't really want to steal players from carnage because I think its a great server. Just too many issues with the connection, crashes, etc. I definitley would like to hear some more feedback in terms of what people want for a server. And would be interested to hear and try out this new server. As for me I just want a reliable, simple server. nothing too crazy. with an active admin. maybe host some events. open PK or PK altars, with an incentive to go PK.
I'm perfectly content with the basic inis for weapons skills and what not. I prefer it.
Phobos 47 Bow
Shadow 56 Throwing
Hexed 38 Assassin

Offline Kaios

Attack Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 11:23:58 am »
There are certainly players around still looking for that forced PvP experience but unfortunately there are also a number of players you could classify as "carebear" and have no interest at all in this aspect of the game. They play for the housing, crafting, pve, etc. and I don't think they will ever try a fully PK server.

The server that is being worked on currently I believe uses a "best of both worlds" method where in you start Non-PK, PK altar is available somewhere and there are also various PK sectors, usually the higher level sectors.

This world would most definitely be reliable as it would be hosted on a dedicated server 24/7 compared to Hexed for example where the admin hosts it on his computer. Don't know about Carnage, I think it's the same considering the connection issues you mentioned.

I would recommend taking a read through this thread if you would like to get a better idea as to what players are looking for and the stances that some of us have taken with regards to the current and future worlds.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 11:26:24 am by Kaios »

Offline Mohegan

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 11:36:51 am »
There is some great content in there! I especially love your idea about the upgradeable weapons. I wonder who is working on the server, would like to get in touch with them discuss ideas. I would love to help put in work in making some new content. I could care less who runs the server, but I would like to be involved in it.
Phobos 47 Bow
Shadow 56 Throwing
Hexed 38 Assassin

Offline Kaios

Attack Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 11:41:23 am »
There is some great content in there! I especially love your idea about the upgradeable weapons. I wonder who is working on the server, would like to get in touch with them discuss ideas. I would love to help put in work in making some new content. I could care less who runs the server, but I would like to be involved in it.

The person working on it does read the forum so if he did want to I am sure he would message you but to be honest man I think his server is ready to go for the most part, it's like I said, there are two wolfty worlds up right now and until they disappear it's not going to happen.

Also the weapon upgrading thing wasn't my idea, it was something already implemented on a world that I really enjoyed.

Offline Mohegan

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 11:45:09 am »
I figure as much, am very much looking forward to playing it, and I probably won't bother getting it listed while there are so many servers. However I would like to tool around and start working on something. However, I have been having trouble connecting to my own V2 server. I used to know how but its been awhile since I tooled around on one and I'm wondering if anyone can help. I already have added the dats and bmps to my local.files in client folder. and added

Name=Local
port=my ip
port=6015
To connect file, and changed to read only.
Getting the updater is outdated and download the newest version, error.
Missing itemdef.dat(wasint in the files i downloaded) ??
I am using autoupdater in client folder.
Any ideas?
Phobos 47 Bow
Shadow 56 Throwing
Hexed 38 Assassin

Offline Mohegan

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 12:18:51 pm »

Name=Local
port=my ip
port=6015
To connect file, and changed to read only.
Getting the updater is outdated and download the newest version, error.
Missing itemdef.dat(wasint in the files i downloaded) ??
I am using autoupdater in client folder.
Any ideas?

EDIT** Reloaded default settings no longer getting the outdated client error but still cannot connect.
Phobos 47 Bow
Shadow 56 Throwing
Hexed 38 Assassin

Offline Mohegan

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 12:40:53 pm »
****EDIT
Figured it out. :D
Phobos 47 Bow
Shadow 56 Throwing
Hexed 38 Assassin

Offline Roarion

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 03:49:24 pm »
Considering opening up a V2 server with a phobos style theme. Open PK(past a certain level) with a decent sized world, a basic town, nice sewers to get newbies started. Updated weapons/armours/ etc from latest v2 files. Would like to add some new content. Just wondering if anyone would be into this and if this is worth my time to start getting into. Nothing crazy. Magics would be the classic as well as weapons with maybe some alterations to dagger and throwing. (dont like the idea of being able to have all defs and a wep specced) other than that though....

I honestly don't think it would be worth your time. What made this game half decent in the past was that a decent amount of people played. Without more people the game just isnt really worth pouring hours/weeks/months into making something new (aka future).

Redoing the weapons / adding more is a bigger job then you would think. Lots of inconsistencies in the older files, and in mickeys files you would probably would want to redo blacksmith which is a pain also.

1) Don't expect many people to play
2) Make a world because you have fun doing it
3) Avoid paying for a server when the average players on per day is 0-8.
4) Test your world before you play it. (Aka don't open another dumpster broken world)

You could use hexed files which i linked you to in a different thread, but those files have been used for years straight now.
Asylum - lvl 33 Thrower
Pyramid - lvl 40 Scythe
Dementia - lvl 69 Spear
Nexus V2 - lvl 61 Stealth
Rebirth - lvl 72 Bow
Ganymede - lvl 56 Mage
Hex - lvl 1000 Admin
Future - lvl 1000 Admin
Retired - Unless V6 pulls a miracle

Offline JSleezY

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2016, 12:46:36 am »
you know what i think... the Real reason No one puts an Effort into a Server is mainly because people just say things like it s a waste of time... or theres no point or there is a server up right now.. im  gonna make a server.. and its gonna be freaking Awesome.. it may take time.. But even if i only play it.. that!! would be worth it.. because why?  Because this Game... Rules.. id Rather play this wolf.. then my other games... what made this game really good..  was everything... it wasn't graphically demanding but pretty good quality animation.. it didnt take a wolf ton of bandwith to play.. even mediocre Internet connections could get in.. the people were interesting and Colorful, and of course.. there were always 1-3 admins on a server at a time.. and that wasnt always including mick himself... even tho some of the people mick put in those admin spots were douches.. it was Still Great.. i Still Remember People i played with back in the day.. i remember the frustrations and joys associated that come with big player bases..

the game isnt dead.. people say its v1.. or  its v2 or there is gonna be v6 someday.. or w.e the case is.. but look at games that make millions of dollars even thos they may or may not be the worlds greatest games... runescape... wow.. what do they have in common.. they are the Same game they Started out as.. from the beggining and they are built upon, they don't get to a working Product that Has some flare but Scrapes the Surface.. if the Game Has Depth People Will Find it... thats how us rpgaholics found this game in the first place.. Rpg Tops out at what lvl 100? the highest ive seen  was 130 myself and they had only 1.5-1.6k stats.. and that is damn near the end?

runescape got to the Point where the levels were outgrowing the damage factors and the appeal So the altered the Combat Scheme from hitting small numbers to Converting it to a larger number..  instead of hitting a 14.. now you hit a 30.. and so on.. wow. brings out Dungeons and Raids Parites.. new races.. and classes.. maps and things that have a wow factor.

now i have 1.15 server files.. i dont know if they are v2 files as well imnot sure because i downloaded some random set, rpgwo.coms not loading for me either for some reason so i cannot check there for them as well.. But if Someone Has a Set of Files For v2.. like the Files for nulona or something.. i believe that was the first v2 server? i remember its the one where mick introduced layers... and the semi different interface.. if Anyone Can Point me in the Direction of  a set id Be very appreciative... and once i have a finished Product.. i will Send Word and you all can come enjoy it with me,

and So what if you think this games Dead... none of you have seen Frankensteins Monster... Just Cause its Dead and in pieces Doesnt Mean We cant Still Make Something out of it!!.. im going to....

MUUUUAAAAAAH HA HA HA HA HAHHHA AAAAAAAAHHHHHH HAH AH AH AHAHHAHAHA... 

Offline Roarion

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2016, 11:08:57 am »
you know what i think... the Real reason No one puts an Effort into a Server is mainly because people just say things like it s a waste of time... or theres no point or there is a server up right now.. im  gonna make a server.. and its gonna be freaking Awesome.. it may take time.. But even if i only play it.. that!! would be worth it.. because why?  Because this Game... Rules.. id Rather play this wolf.. then my other games... what made this game really good..  was everything... it wasn't graphically demanding but pretty good quality animation.. it didnt take a wolf ton of bandwith to play.. even mediocre Internet connections could get in.. the people were interesting and Colorful, and of course.. there were always 1-3 admins on a server at a time.. and that wasnt always including mick himself... even tho some of the people mick put in those admin spots were douches.. it was Still Great.. i Still Remember People i played with back in the day.. i remember the frustrations and joys associated that come with big player bases..

the game isnt dead.. people say its v1.. or  its v2 or there is gonna be v6 someday.. or w.e the case is.. but look at games that make millions of dollars even thos they may or may not be the worlds greatest games... runescape... wow.. what do they have in common.. they are the Same game they Started out as.. from the beggining and they are built upon, they don't get to a working Product that Has some flare but Scrapes the Surface.. if the Game Has Depth People Will Find it... thats how us rpgaholics found this game in the first place.. Rpg Tops out at what lvl 100? the highest ive seen  was 130 myself and they had only 1.5-1.6k stats.. and that is damn near the end?

runescape got to the Point where the levels were outgrowing the damage factors and the appeal So the altered the Combat Scheme from hitting small numbers to Converting it to a larger number..  instead of hitting a 14.. now you hit a 30.. and so on.. wow. brings out Dungeons and Raids Parites.. new races.. and classes.. maps and things that have a wow factor.

now i have 1.15 server files.. i dont know if they are v2 files as well imnot sure because i downloaded some random set, rpgwo.coms not loading for me either for some reason so i cannot check there for them as well.. But if Someone Has a Set of Files For v2.. like the Files for nulona or something.. i believe that was the first v2 server? i remember its the one where mick introduced layers... and the semi different interface.. if Anyone Can Point me in the Direction of  a set id Be very appreciative... and once i have a finished Product.. i will Send Word and you all can come enjoy it with me,

and So what if you think this games Dead... none of you have seen Frankensteins Monster... Just Cause its Dead and in pieces Doesnt Mean We cant Still Make Something out of it!!.. im going to....

MUUUUAAAAAAH HA HA HA HA HAHHHA AAAAAAAAHHHHHH HAH AH AH AHAHHAHAHA... 

Wow the formatting on this post is garbage.

You can argue as much as you want but the game is dead. It gets no new players like any of the games you listed above. Mickey has given up on v2, the only chance for this game is to pull in new players on v6 but he's taking a long break from that so it's probably dead now also.

I've spent an entire year maintaining a server to watch it dwindle down from 40-50 players to 5-10.

I've rewritten the games ini files (which took about 3 months ~ 300-400hrs of work I think) and provided a completely new graphics package and barely anyone played it compared to a few years ago.

The matter of the fact is that you have no idea how to make a server, so your first one is likely to be garbage and i've never even heard of you in game so the chance that it's balanced is pretty low.

If you can find a way to get new people to play the game then i'll popup a server in no time, but good luck ever making that happen.
Asylum - lvl 33 Thrower
Pyramid - lvl 40 Scythe
Dementia - lvl 69 Spear
Nexus V2 - lvl 61 Stealth
Rebirth - lvl 72 Bow
Ganymede - lvl 56 Mage
Hex - lvl 1000 Admin
Future - lvl 1000 Admin
Retired - Unless V6 pulls a miracle

Offline JSleezY

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2016, 03:48:22 pm »
Maybe I dont Use My Original Name any more..  thanks for your opinion its pretty valid :D but im still gonna try.