Should we have cave ins underground?

No, please, no.
0 (0%)
Yes, but don't get crazy.
2 (33.3%)
Yes, do what you want.
4 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Cave Ins  (Read 817 times)

Offline Mickey Kudlo

Cave Ins
« on: July 09, 2015, 11:05:15 pm »
I was thinking of adding them in at some point.

Large scale process in mind:
- Look for any 5x5 area underground with no cave or man made walls, flooring doesn't matter? oh V1/V2 it did, ok maybe
- Add "unstable ceiling" items to the area, it is an animated dust cloud with some small falling rock, gives any players around a warning to run, Run, RUN!
- Wait a 30-60 second cycle and then each item has 50% chance to cave that spot in or just remove the item
- Spread some rock debris and dust clouds in the area, dust clouds cause stand damage 2-4?
- caved in spots can still be mined again for the same ore? not sure, in V1/V2 it allowed it a few times
- land above would not deform
- any player getting a direct hit... dies

Small scale:
- find random single spots and do the process above, like 1-10 per v-day
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
Re: Cave Ins
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 01:12:56 am »
umm...in V1/V2 I would cave in areas on servers that had them just to get good ore again without having to go find a new vein, so easy to abuse those.

if you're just talking about having ore respawn then I don't think it should.  I know it does in V1/V2, but think about how much more depth you could add to the game if it didn't.  also since things can be repaired it doesn't really hurt anyone, or make anything harder by taking it out.

if you want actual cave ins that damage players while mining(shouldn't be instant death, maybe 20 damage max?), which I think is mostly what you're after(still don't know why you hate us crafters so much) I'd be ok with it as long as you added a simple way to prevent them.  you said walls in your post, I'd like to point out its impossible to build walls without already having a lot of mining done, and even then the skills to build walls are crazy high.
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Sacrifice

Re: Cave Ins
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 09:41:42 am »
I think cave-ins are a good thing, but I think if you made cave-ins happen you should randomize the new ore that spawns.

It's not a procedural thing it would just be like each time a cave in happens there would be a different ore wherever it happened.

Of course I don't know if you could do that and still maintain ore veins.