Author Topic: Luck, Charisma, Vitae and Morale  (Read 1624 times)

Offline Mickey Kudlo

Luck, Charisma, Vitae and Morale
« on: July 09, 2015, 01:01:53 pm »
Luck:
It is a randomness that helps a player in a few areas. So far, it gives extra resources when harvesting/gathering. Like extra ore when mining or extra branches when breaking them off. So that effect is something traders would want to be high. It has no effect on combat so far. Was thinking maybe any random loot dropped by mobs could be affected by Luck. Either increase quantity or value. Not sure I want it affecting combat directly. Let me know what you think. Also, it does not affect any skill like the other attributes do.

Charisma:
Since I plan extensive interaction with NPCs, I added charisma to attributes. It is basically good looks and social skills, something you will find useful with NPC interactions. I will be adding skills that use it, like Barter, Social, Bard, Leader, etc. Also Worship skill will use it to gain karma with gawds. No skills use it currently.

Vitae and Morale:
Morale is replacing Vitae. Morale affects skills the same as Vitae but Morale can go positive and boost skills. Morale goes down when you die the same as Viate does in V1/V2. I plan to have Morale to slowly go down over time even if you don't die thus you need to do "fun" things to keep your morale up. The main one being "comfort" food. Eating cooked foods will boost morale. Doing activities like fishing, drinking, taking a bath, sleeping, socializing, sports, etc, will also increase morale. Morale will probably be limited to +10 to -20. Not much on a V1/V2 scale but with the V6 0-100 scale, it is significant. Currently, (when I update next) death causes -2, eating an apple gives +1, and there is no slow decrease over time coded yet. And I removed the "you lost a level of XP" on death since it had issues with trained skills and players able to exploit it and get skill points back.
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Mongo

• Attack: 91
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

• Total Badges: 29
    Badges: (View All)
    Sixth year Anniversary 10 Poll Votes Fifth year Anniversary
Re: Luck, Charisma, Vitae and Morale
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 01:32:44 pm »
When you say it goes down over time, will it go all the way to -20 or simply to 0?
Shoop!

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 02:10:05 pm »
When you say it goes down over time, will it go all the way to -20 or simply to 0?

Just to the lower limit of -20.

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 05:06:21 pm »
I think Luck should affect combat.  high luck should give you a bonus on landing criticals, and better chances at dodging.  ie your skill roll of <10 to completely miss would go up by 1 for every 4 Luck, so a person with 100 Luck(good luck getting that high but just an example) would have a 35 threshold for being hit.  can also add a number to skill rolls based on Luck, such as with mining, I have mining at 37 and Luck somewhere in the 20's but sometimes I'll still get the "skill roll > 20" thing when mining.  so something like +1 to skill roll for every 5 Luck would make Luck far more useful(I'd even prefer that to the extra ore which I've been getting quite often).

Charisma is going to be abused, badly!  a group of friends will have 1 player with high charisma do all the interactions needed with an NPC, and as I've said before: charisma will have no affect on bartering/trading with other players...and since most sales are done player to player I say there is no point to having it.

in the Morale section you mentioned sleeping, will that be logging out on a bed like in V1/V2, or are you adding an actual sleep mechanic?  also based on how well drinking and cooked food raise morale, I don't see a chance for anyone to have less than 10 morale for very long...though I do like the idea.
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 05:18:10 pm »
I really don't want Luck to affect skills directly which is why I am leaning towards it giving bonus quantities.

We will see when NPCs show up how significant Charisma will be. And yes, why can't someone in a group be specialized with Charisma and the related skills? We already have that for all the other skill related groups (melee, magic, gathering, making, etc).

Yeah, I think sleeping would work like V1/V2. Meditation could work while you are online, maybe costing Stam and Mana. Also, with food, the more of the same food you eat, like Rat Tail Stew, the less effective of a morale boost it would have, but would have a cool down.

Offline Sacrifice

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 06:20:19 pm »
I require a fishing skill because my morale is low!

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 01:24:09 am »
We will see when NPCs show up how significant Charisma will be. And yes, why can't someone in a group be specialized with Charisma and the related skills? We already have that for all the other skill related groups (melee, magic, gathering, making, etc).
I get people specializing in actual skills, but charisma is a stat that will do nothing except let you get better deals from an npc...so it adds nothing to the game except everyone waiting for 1 guy to log in to sell stuff to npcs and take a percentage...

if 1 person can get 100 gold/coins/cash for something and everyone else is only getting 10 for that item people will make the deal of letting him take half so he gets 50 gold/coins/cash and does absolutely nothing just so everyone else gets 40 gold/coins/cash more from an npc deal...

on the other hand if you had some way of allowing players to build relationships(not really the word for this but I can't think of anything better) with npcs and gain respect from them and have them get better deals that way I'd get it.  ie: doing quests, giving food to a starving npc, killing off bad guys, some type of thing that doesn't rely completely on 1 stat that does nothing else.
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Roarion

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 11:43:28 am »
Luck:
Not really sure what I think of this, will have to play and find out when the game gets a bit more along.

Charisma :
I think it would be better off served as a skill, maybe called persuasion.

Morale:
RPGWO V6 aka The Sims 3. Yay.......

I tried v6 -

The red flash when you get hit is annoying.

I think the UI needs to be touched up. I would suggest putting things more things in tabs like v2. Combat could have its own tab. Idk just doesn't feel organized.

I dug some sort of pit in the ground and then got stuck in it?

I'm sure these will be fixed in the future but picking sword gave me no weapon, killing mobs no XP.

The game feels super slow / laggy with run speed. I've NEVER heard anyone complain they ran too slow in RPGWO. I wouldn't mind the min speed of a character in V6 being the max of V2.

Combat is sort of janky, guard / attack works ok but it needs to be moved to its own tab i think or if you walk into a monster your character auto-attacks like the gridaria rpgwo clone or w/e it was called.
Heck, I don't think it would be bad if you just copied the old school runescape design.

Not sure what I think of you excluding defenses also. I guess it needs to be tested in a server again. Defenses are this sort of nice and evil thing. It keeps players online / chatting while they are doing other things like watching a movie, tv, etc. A lot like fishing in runescape or something where you click a spot and check back 5 minutes later or just chat with ppl. Bad thing is that it's grindy, but I don't think it's a bad sort of grind.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 11:50:32 am by Roarion »
Asylum - lvl 33 Thrower
Pyramid - lvl 40 Scythe
Dementia - lvl 69 Spear
Nexus V2 - lvl 61 Stealth
Rebirth - lvl 72 Bow
Ganymede - lvl 56 Mage
Hex - lvl 1000 Admin
Future - lvl 1000 Admin
Retired - Unless V6 pulls a miracle