Author Topic: Armor Speed and Skill and Stuff  (Read 2191 times)

Offline Mickey Kudlo

Armor Speed and Skill and Stuff
« on: June 03, 2015, 12:43:09 pm »
I am still far away from adding armor but I have a few thoughts to work out...

Since I have removed Melee Defense skill (weapon armed skill is used for defense roll), what about an Armor skill?
It would only apply to arming metal/ore armors and would govern what better armor you can wear.
It would NOT be a factor in combat defense roll. But each time you get hit, Armor skill would get XP.
Attribute wise, it could be (STRENGTH + DEXTERITY + QUICKNESS) / 6

By Ore, the skill requirements would be like:
- Tin Chain - 0 req - since tin is lowest
- Bronze - 10 req
- Hessite - 80 req
- Damon - 100 req

3 types per ore: chain, scale, plate. Maybe add a studded type too? All of these need a leather base to attach to anyways.

And the 3 types would have weapon speed penalties and metal armors reduce magic skills.
- Studded adds 0.0 seconds, +0 to AL
- Chain adds 0.25 seconds to weapon/cast cool down, +2 to AL
- Scale adds 0.5 seconds, +4 to AL
- Plate adds 0.75, +6 to AL
So you have a choice between AL or movability. Each piece (head, chest, legs) would add time penalty.

Not sure what increase AL would be per ore. Probably just over or equal to plate. So tin plate = bronze studded.

Metal/ore armors would penalize magic, the better the ore, the more penalty. Like -5 points per ore level.

Pure leather and robe armors do not affect magic skills and would have 0 skill required or very low required so crafters and non-melee players don't need to train it and just their attributes would apply.

Just some ideas to make armor more interesting.
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
Re: Armor Speed and Skill and Stuff
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 01:57:48 pm »
I'm never a fighter so that won't affect me, but I don't like the idea of a skill being required for armor...

different types of armor doing different things like movement restrictions sounds good.  if you're adding more types of armor you could even add types that give bonuses/penalties to some weapons/skills...ie steel plate gives a penalty to stealth because its really hard to hide when your armor is so shiny.

also: http://rpgwoforums.net/index.php?topic=4494.0
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 03:01:56 pm »
Roar or Drav reminded me that Burden already restricts who can wear what armor so magic players would never be able to wear the heaviest armor too easily. So probably don't need an Armor skill. *shrugs*

But that assumes armor burden increases with ore types. I already have swords and tools NOT increasing burden with better ores, so maybe we do need an Armor skill to compensate?

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 08:32:17 pm »
if you want to keep all armor the same weight(not really a bad idea unless someone is wearing lead armor), then why add a skill just to penalize people instead of letting skill of the crafters decide what they wear?  any crafter will be able to make tin armor right away(and possibly bronze), but they won't be able to make damon for quite some time.  not only will it take a long time to be able to make, but would also take a lot of work to gather...if all that happens and no one can use the armor then that crafter has done all that work for nothing!  I don't like the idea of a skill just for using armor...if the skill affected other things(ie armor type was tied to melee defense) I wouldn't go against it, but you got rid of melee defense not sure why you did that either. 

bring back melee defense, and if you want to tie armor to a skill use that!  that would also keep a good fighter from getting slaughtered by weak mobs if they want to try a new type of weapon.

Offline Naed

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 06:41:41 am »
Man, everyone wants to be able to do everything, all the time, anytime, as any class. How's a community supposed to form if nobody needs anyone?

Thought the armor skill was a good idea, Strength is only a limiting factor for the first 30 levels.

Offline Roarion

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 10:48:51 am »
Man, everyone wants to be able to do everything, all the time, anytime, as any class. How's a community supposed to form if nobody needs anyone?

Thought the armor skill was a good idea, Strength is only a limiting factor for the first 30 levels.

Counter example, Runescape. High level players almost always help out noobies when they ask for it. The community can't really form with the current game state so it doesn't matter either way.

As the server ages a higher level player usually just dumps good gear onto noobs and they get excluded from interacting with traders at all.

In the end if a trader is necessary most of the hardcore players are going to roll a trader first, power level it up, and then remake to a fighter a reap both sides rewards. Sure not everyone will do it, but unless there is some large grind, collection time, gear breaking, ultra rare items found, etc. most of the traders will be worthless.

The problem is high level character has high level attributes, meaning they have high level trade skills on initial training. I guess the solution is to remove attributes? Downside is we have lost character diversity.

Start with a trader -> grind min necessary gear -> remake -> level up gear cap -> grab trade skills again on new char -> make higher lvl gear.

Leave it to strength only, it's worked the past 10-15 yrs.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 10:55:05 am by Roarion »
Asylum - lvl 33 Thrower
Pyramid - lvl 40 Scythe
Dementia - lvl 69 Spear
Nexus V2 - lvl 61 Stealth
Rebirth - lvl 72 Bow
Ganymede - lvl 56 Mage
Hex - lvl 1000 Admin
Future - lvl 1000 Admin
Retired - Unless V6 pulls a miracle

Offline Naed

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 10:57:58 am »
Yeah, it's what needs to change.

When the game started out, people needed each other. People teamed up for quests. Traders gained notoriety for being honest and quick. Mage's gained notoriety for being friendly and boosters or to steer clear of the killers.

I remember the first couple seiges running around as a mage, keeping the warriors and archers alive as the onslaught ensued. What a blast.

The later seiges were for grinders. See the warriors/rangers sitting in front line casting revive and heal, never bothered to attend after that as they where a grind rather than a community event with people working together.

As it was when I left, by level 30-40 I needed nobody for nothing, and as I grew in level, that stigma increased. Not really a game I wanted to play, I personally logon to meet with friends, not grind.

The more that is done to separate the classes, the better imo.

Offline Roarion

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 11:05:55 am »
Yeah, it's what needs to change.

When the game started out, people needed each other. People teamed up for quests. Traders gained notoriety for being honest and quick. Mage's gained notoriety for being friendly and boosters or to steer clear of the killers.

I remember the first couple seiges running around as a mage, keeping the warriors and archers alive as the onslaught ensued. What a blast.

The later seiges were for grinders. See the warriors/rangers sitting in front line casting revive and heal, never bothered to attend after that as they where a grind rather than a community event with people working together.

As it was when I left, by level 30-40 I needed nobody for nothing, and as I grew in level, that stigma increased. Not really a game I wanted to play, I personally logon to meet with friends, not grind.

The more that is done to separate the classes, the better imo.

There's plenty of people who want to keep the game like v2, and others who want to see it very much changed into new things. In the end I guess its really up to Mickey.

To comment on your implementation the most important thing between classes would be stamina, health, mana balance. If things were split up I would like to see rangers / warriors have some sort of stamina/mana/life regen system to put them on par with a mage that can heal/warp/boost/damage.

If traders are a completely different class the same idea remains about creating a trader first to grind out gears and then remaking to an actual build.

A global trading post (Runescape Grand Exchange) might make traders more important. But to be honest if this game is a v2 upgrade then you won't be, the system just doesnt work for traders to be important past lvl 30-40.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 11:08:49 am by Roarion »
Asylum - lvl 33 Thrower
Pyramid - lvl 40 Scythe
Dementia - lvl 69 Spear
Nexus V2 - lvl 61 Stealth
Rebirth - lvl 72 Bow
Ganymede - lvl 56 Mage
Hex - lvl 1000 Admin
Future - lvl 1000 Admin
Retired - Unless V6 pulls a miracle

Offline Naed

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 11:11:15 am »
The trader problem can be resolved by making skills cost three or four times as much after character creation. Actually that would help address all the class intermingling issues.

Really there are traditionally five classes:
Warrior
Ranger
Wizard
Intellect Trader
Strength Trader

I never remember making potions on my blacksmith, nor do I remember mining on my alchemist. And I think that's how it should be, in order to foster any sort of community.

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 01:24:29 pm »
I am planning on making NPCs active and dynamic in such a way that traders will always have a market to sell to even if players aren't buying. This deserves its own thread/topic but the general idea is ...

- NPCs have needs/wants that have to be met by themselves, other NPCs or by players. Food, shelter, job, etc.
- NPCs will need equiptment too plus whatever services players can give
- NPC need house/shop built for them by traders, another topic, I talked about that

In all honesty, when I was working on V5 and playing alone :( , I wanted interaction. That why I coded the Tribes. It still needed a lot of work but it was a start of interaction with the world other than combat. So, I am aiming to get NPCs behaving like players. Not exactly like them but close enough. THAT, would be something very unique for RPGWO, just like Usage/crafting was back in early 2000s. But I don't play many RPGs so don't know what is really out there.

Also, will have some sort of goods exporting back to the "mainland". This will be important for when you have a lot to get rid of plus the "mainland" can drive trader quests for example, tobacco is a new crop found and the mainland, needs, needs needs it! For luxuries like that, there would be a constant demand, high or low, that traders can work to meet.

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 04:39:23 pm »
- NPCs will need equiptment too plus whatever services players can give
why is it that when I read that prostitution was the first thing to pop into my head?

again you bring up "mainland" but you're making a full world, if there is a mainland and this is a new area then why all the oceans?  all the old RPGWO maps were mostly land(which was good), absolutely no ocean.  there were large bits of water all around, but nothing that made it seem like there were several continents.  I know this probably belongs in a different thread, but you seem to mention "mainland" everywhere except in the map thread...

Offline Sacrifice

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 02:19:07 am »
300 Gold behind the dumpster.