Author Topic: Released First V6 Client  (Read 11225 times)

Offline Mongo

• Attack: 91
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

• Total Badges: 29
    Badges: (View All)
    Sixth year Anniversary 10 Poll Votes Fifth year Anniversary
Re: Released First V6 Client
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2015, 11:50:39 am »
well a lot of folks posted about the V2 bugs...Mickey never fixed them.  I get that you might feel insulted by what he said, but he does sort of have a point.  V2 was far better than V3, not sure I actually remember a V4(or was that the browser version?), V5 had its own issues, and now on to V6...as far as what has actually been released so far V2 is better than any other version, even with its unresolved bugs.  with that said, Mickey has pretty much already said hes done with V2, so there is no reason for us to post asking him to fix it.

He never made a point. He just complained that stuff was changing to which I say "Good". Stuff needed to change. I expect V6, at its core, to remain RPGWO. However if you guys think there's no room to improve upon V2 (bugs aside), I think you're just stuck in the past.

No other version has reached the level V2 has so to compare other half finished projects is kinda silly.
Shoop!

Offline Naed

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2015, 11:53:19 am »
You've been successfully trolled by Dravian.

Please don't encourage him to try V6, need his kind to stay where they are!

Offline King Dravien

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2015, 12:18:29 pm »
My kind? The kind that actually play this game? I've tried V6 and its an insult to an "alpha" test.
RPGWO:
Lvl 91 Staff - Steeltide
Lvl 97 Crossbow - Nulona
Lvl 47 Thrower - Shadow
Lvl 61 Axe - Ataxia
Lvl 82 Staff - Asylum
Lvl 94 Halberd - Nexus
Lvl 82 Shockwave Cannon - Future
Lvl 66 Stealth Xbow - Carnage

Offline Naed

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2015, 12:22:19 pm »
You're right Dravian.

Mickey you should have this as a closed alpha to people interested in the progress of this project. The board is getting cluttered by useless trolling and this is a quick fix to that issue.

Sign me up!

Offline King Dravien

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2015, 12:26:54 pm »
a 3 person closed alpha of people who only login 10 mins a day. Mickey you'll go far. go back to V2 and stop messing around
RPGWO:
Lvl 91 Staff - Steeltide
Lvl 97 Crossbow - Nulona
Lvl 47 Thrower - Shadow
Lvl 61 Axe - Ataxia
Lvl 82 Staff - Asylum
Lvl 94 Halberd - Nexus

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2015, 12:38:18 pm »
How would you know if a server is playable when you give up after a day? why dont you play future and see how often he keeps it updated with suggestions?
I actually played future for about 2 weeks...kept having food issues because it took me 10-15 mins to catch 1 fish at around 150 fishing.  since the only other food available there was ultima potions I saw no point in staying.  as far as coming back to future, no I'm back in Hexed now...its a little weird with everyone having all max crap but its playable.

I'll agree it would be nice to see the V2 bugs fixed, but as Mickey said he isn't going to do it.  so either enjoy V2 as it is now or wait til hes done with V6 and play that...in the mean time stop bitching!  I remember you getting killed with a +3 cooking knife by a full trader once when you were a bad ass fighter so don't make me start trash talking you!
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline King Dravien

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2015, 12:52:51 pm »
I'd love to hear that story as I don't believe it ever happened.
RPGWO:
Lvl 91 Staff - Steeltide
Lvl 97 Crossbow - Nulona
Lvl 47 Thrower - Shadow
Lvl 61 Axe - Ataxia
Lvl 82 Staff - Asylum
Lvl 94 Halberd - Nexus

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2015, 01:13:47 pm »
I'd love to hear that story as I don't believe it ever happened.
well somewhere around 2008(maybe 2007, maybe 2009) Kate(can't remember what name she used that server, might have been Lester) slaughtered you in the pk arena with a +3 cooking knife...I don't know how, I wasn't there, but it was talked about on the server for weeks following the fight.

now shush!

Offline King Dravien

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2015, 01:18:42 pm »
Kate was Lester, I picked up tonnes of granite to overload myself so she could bitch me for the XP, There was no "fight" as if it ever was something, She's still my friend to this day.

it was Nexus V2, Another popular server which Mickey failed to bother helping on. Its a shame UT left RPGWO as he was the only thing keeping it alive.
RPGWO:
Lvl 91 Staff - Steeltide
Lvl 97 Crossbow - Nulona
Lvl 47 Thrower - Shadow
Lvl 61 Axe - Ataxia
Lvl 82 Staff - Asylum
Lvl 94 Halberd - Nexus

Offline Sacrifice

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2015, 02:01:27 pm »
As it stands, one of the few moderators on this forum should move half this conversation into the "Nobody Gives A tiger" section of the forum so that this can be kept about the new version instead of the ramblings of the only life this poor soul has had.

PS. Changing the UI of a game doesn't change the whole game, plus it is still a work in progress. So if you and all of your friends who think all the stuff about V2 is great maybe you should suggest some stuff instead of disappearing off the face of the earth then coming back just to say everything is bad.

Offline Kalose

« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2015, 03:22:35 pm »
i still as of yet, am unable to get the thing to update/load properly, it either throws an "unable to connect to update server" or "the specified executable is not a valid application for this os". this is after many attempt to re-install and load on 4 machines (3 being laptops). the only thing in common is them being 32bit. One is vista(i know -_-) one is win7,two are win8...soo yeah im still stuck in the mud with this and havn't seen the new v6 version.

Also i need to ask is this version going to be locked to 1 acc per ip as all the v2 servers as of late seem to be. Within my house and down at my mothers there could be a possible 4 of us playing at any time and having it lock to one account per ip limits it, i know contacting staff can sort this but i never seem to get replies about it.

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2015, 04:31:11 pm »
rpgwo.com is back up and working. Your cache may need to be cleared. So, you should be able to connect.

As far as the "valid app" error goes, make sure the rpgwo6client.exe is about 180kb. It may be giving you a garbage file cuz of a bad connection.

Try to download http://rpgwo.com/v6/rpgwo6client.png to disk, don't try to open it because it is actually a EXE. I rename it after he updater gets it. Then you rename it and try to run it. But if it isn't arounf 180kb then open it with notepad to see what crap is in it.
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Mongo

Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2015, 06:24:48 pm »
Finally able to load it up. I'll put my notes in as I play:

• I'm required to spend all skill points? Why? I thought learning skills in-game was coming back? Or is it going to use the v5 system?
  • Movement feels jerky. I know it's basically like it was in V2 but somehow .. is it just me or does it feel much more jarring?
  • Stuttering on the player tab as you open/close it. I know you mentioned that but in the name of completeness I'll put it here too.
  • Small thing, the scroll bar position on the chat doesn't update until you release left mouse button.
  • Also, scrolling up and down with mouse wheel is a bit laggy
  • I think right clicking a monster should attack it by default. The attack button on the bottom is a little out of the way.
  • Honestly, I don't think we need to be able to attack all objects in the game.. but that's just me. I'd leave it at monsters and .. maybe building blocks?
  • Split up chat and combat logs into tabs. I know this is probably planned.
  • If a monster takes up more than one square, you should be able to target it by clicking any of the squares they are in rather than just the one their feet are on.
  • I kinda feel like it should be zoomed in a little more, allow the player to see a bit less.
  • Would it be possible to add transparency to the chat type box while the cursor is not active there? Also, to the scroll bar? Everything else is so low profile, those two bars of white really stick out.
  • Cant use spendable XP, but I'm guessing you know that  :P
  • Maybe a life bar for your target as well so you can get a better idea of their health at a glance? Also, maybe shift the target window to the center? Looks a little strange off to the left.
  • When multiple things are on the same square (ex: Flies and a Human Skeleton), maybe prioritize the higher threat to be selected first on left click? Really more of a polish thing I guess.
  • There sure are a lot of flies...
  • Possible to have a name and a health bar above your target? Probably only have it show up when you're targeting it and I'd think really low profile. Maybe just a little health bar.
  • Was walking along (right clicked a spot) and got an error: "Error_Result_Completed : Index was outside the bounds of the array.". Chat was populated with the following messages: "ERROR_Unit.Process_PktUnit : OUT OF UNIT2 SPACE!!!" then "Error_Unit.Process_PktUnit : Index was outside the bounds of the array. : stage=100". Errors kept popping up after pressing OK, needed to X out and restart it. Saved a screeny of it if you need it.
  • I trained and spec'd Unarmed, Swim, Run, and Farming. But in the player window, Unarmed and Farming are blue while Swim and Run are green. Nor sure why.
  • Pressing enter should activate the chat box
  • When there's a human corpse, maybe have it show the name of the player that died?
  • No idea what's going on here:
    . Must be the corners of a few biomes but it looks very strange.
  • Land could use some smoothing, found lots of weird looking mountain tops.
  • Losing a level of XP when you die is pretty brutal  :P Not necessarily a bad thing.
  • When you die, you are still targeting the thing that killed you (changes to <unknown> if it's off screen). Also, I was still able to attack my target after I died.

Overall very happy with this so far. Everything feels intuitive and responsive.
Shoop!

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2015, 07:15:31 pm »
lol completeness...I'm numbering your points for my sanity in replying!

1: think he is sticking with the V5 way...I learned unarmed ig on my first char just by punching(I liked old version better too)
2: seemed normal to me...you have low quickness or slow internet?
5: I found a way around the weirdly placed attack button: pressing the A key does the same thing.
6: you forgot other players!  though I agree attacking grass seems weird...then again if a player has crappy farming(or doesn't have farming at all) and wants to clear their land it gives them an option.
8: would be nice!  get to work on that Mickey!
9: I'd like an option to zoom in or out depending on what I'm doing.  exploring zoomed out would be better but when you're at home or actually in combat zoomed in seems like a better option.
12/14: health bar over the head seems like a better way, he said he was going to add it to the top...where it is now is annoying.
18: lol I can just see someone collecting dead bodies if they were named to make fun of people who died...only reason I could see for having this, but I like the idea.
22: also if you revive in the same spot it will actually keep killing you...with the xp loss that could really suck with a bit of lag and a high level monster nearby.

and to add to his list:
when typing in the chat bar if you use the num pad to enter some numbers it makes you move around.  not all numbers, just 2, 4, 6, and 8.

Offline Mongo

Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2015, 08:21:42 am »
1: think he is sticking with the V5 way...I learned unarmed ig on my first char just by punching(I liked old version better too)

:( I think that's my #1 complaint then.

2: seemed normal to me...you have low quickness or slow internet?

I got used to it after a couple minutes, I think it's just been a while since I've played a game that moved that way.

5: I found a way around the weirdly placed attack button: pressing the A key does the same thing.

And Enter, I think. Although I think Enter should be used to activate the chat text box.

9: I'd like an option to zoom in or out depending on what I'm doing.  exploring zoomed out would be better but when you're at home or actually in combat zoomed in seems like a better option.

It's just so wide.. I know it fits with modern monitors better but you can see soooo far to the left/right.

18: lol I can just see someone collecting dead bodies if they were named to make fun of people who died...only reason I could see for having this, but I like the idea.

Well if bodies decompose over time it's nbd.
Shoop!

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2015, 06:31:12 pm »

Well if bodies decompose over time it's nbd.
so you're saying we need a taxidermy skill? ;D

Offline Aero

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2015, 04:40:52 am »
The movements did feel sluggish compared to v1/v2 client but better than v5. Although I do have horrible internet... Enter to activate chat would be orgasmic.
Lol.

Offline Mongo

Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2015, 08:42:08 am »
so you're saying we need a taxidermy skill? ;D

Well.. that's not what I was saying, but yes we should have that :P
I meant more in terms of bodies decomposing/deleting themselves to reduce clutter in the world.

I did encounter a bug last night. I fought a stone golem, killed it then was resting up. For some reason, I kept taking 1 damage repeatedly by <Unknown>. I would run away but it just kept hitting me. I even /warp'd across the map and it persisted. Logged out and back in but it was still there. Dunno if this was some kind of status effect (was I bleeding out?) or a bug.
Shoop!

Offline Roarion

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2015, 10:44:36 am »
I quit Roar's most recent server(I appealed about fishing, not sure if he fixed the issue since I left), it had its fun side, but at the same time was a bit of a grind fest!  I'd rather see Gary help with V2 if Mickey ever decides to fix it.  Gary's server was the only playable server around for quite some time and it was more fun than a lot of others I've played...it was awesome and I can't even remember its name.

@Greatest - This entire game is a grind. You also asked me to make traders important so I did and now you whine about it, haha. You can still make weapons from 1 ore like in v1, v2 but need to grind capsules to power them up which is optional and filler grind for traders.

Fishing does not take 10-15 minutes to catch a single fish, i've tested this numerous times. If its taking you that long to catch a single fish you are fishing in the same overfished spots over and over again. I don't think fishing is hard at all compared to any of the other survival type games i've played.

Which one of Gary's sever?

Hollow Point - Mobs were all broken (I had 100k attack raises and 1m def raises), random items you needed for crafting were given by hidden NPC's you could never find, quest content lasted 1-2 weeks, had to search a 10x10 world to find a quest, eventually closed due to brokenness. Continuation of UT's V1 modern inis, didnt go far.

Rebirth - Open way too long, infinite spawn times in quests for afk training, no high level content besides dragons no one wanted to kill and drakes which was a infinite spawn of Crystal Drakes. No gear better then Damon even though they had all the items ready for it, no need to get any gear as everyone bumped a quest which gave +30 hessite armor free, admin abuse of quests making it so that you could mem warp inside to bring a mule and camp 24/7. Standard V2 inis, nothing really special I can remember about them besides some new content.

The last good server I played was Dementia which was maybe 4-5 yrs ago? Sure some of the Admins cheated on that server, but it never directly affected the players besides getting PKed once a month. Dementia was 2x the grind Future is as far as combat goes.
Asylum - lvl 33 Thrower
Pyramid - lvl 40 Scythe
Dementia - lvl 69 Spear
Nexus V2 - lvl 61 Stealth
Rebirth - lvl 72 Bow
Ganymede - lvl 56 Mage
Hex - lvl 1000 Admin
Future - lvl 1000 Admin
Retired - Unless V6 pulls a miracle

Offline Roarion

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2015, 11:01:30 am »
Also just to add onto this, I have no plans/desire to make any more RPGWO worlds. The games player population is too low to spend months of spare time working on a new world and having 1-2 people play it decently far. If v6 were able to pull 50-100 players and I could convert my v2 inis to v6, maybe my interest would be sparked again but I don't really see it ever reaching that amount of players. The long term support and time the game currently takes isn't worth it. Heck, I could use my old Hex inis + convert all the future quests back to have 50+ quests and the largest game content RPGWO has seen and not get over 20 players I bet. The past 3 years i've been actively working on and developing RPGWO worlds has been fun, but nothing has ever come of it besides enjoying hanging out with a few dedicated players. Most of the people who use to play this game have out aged it, and we dont really ever see any new players.
Asylum - lvl 33 Thrower
Pyramid - lvl 40 Scythe
Dementia - lvl 69 Spear
Nexus V2 - lvl 61 Stealth
Rebirth - lvl 72 Bow
Ganymede - lvl 56 Mage
Hex - lvl 1000 Admin
Future - lvl 1000 Admin
Retired - Unless V6 pulls a miracle