Author Topic: Human/Player Sprite Size  (Read 1725 times)

Offline Mickey Kudlo

Human/Player Sprite Size
« on: May 15, 2015, 11:03:56 am »
V1/V2 used 32x32 for human player sprite sizes.
V5 used 32x48, I made them taller.
I think I want to send them back to 32x32 for human sizes. Monsters and other stuff, like trees, can still be taller or wider though.
Races will complicate this if implememented but I can make it dynamic I suppose. Just thinking humand should be 32x32.

Running into this issue cuz I got units showing up on the screen and need to make some adjustments. Not sure I ever liked the taller humans cuz they were unproportional to the rest of the world.
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
Re: Human/Player Sprite Size
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 03:12:36 pm »
we all liked 32X32 better, and we don't want multiple playable races...or atleast I don't!
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 03:37:00 pm »
2 more things since you're working on players:
first the player animation in V5 was weird.  no matter what you were doing the guy just waved his arm up and down.  you can probably get rid of that too and not many people would mind.
second can we get some of the V1/V2 style character creation back?  it was weird in V5 with everyone always looking the exact same.

Offline Sacrifice

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 02:20:45 am »
races and classes are fine to me, but its not a big deal either way and i agree 32x32 is a better graphics scheme

Offline Mongo

• Attack: 91
    Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

• Total Badges: 29
    Sixth year Anniversary 10 Poll Votes Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 09:00:11 am »
Yeah, I liked the 32x32 better.

Races are a-ok in my book, I'm open for anything that adds diversity to the players.

Animations in v5 were .. odd. I realize they may have gotten more attention had v5 been continued. I think overall, I would rather see v1/v2's system of not having a player animation than to have a very basic walking/action animation. Though if a full set of quality animations could be added, that would be preferred. Better nothing than half, better full than nothing.

Character creation was odd. Back before you could customize anything, people just used /image. After you could customize head chest and legs ... people just used /image. And those who didn't had armor on anyways so you couldn't tell they had a dark skinned head and pale white hands with black pants. I dunno.
Shoop!

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 10:41:06 am »
V5 was not finished of course. Wasn't sure what to do. I was just happy to get smooth movement and basic animation working.

Yeah I am mixed about how to do players. A single static image or the dynamic wearable images. Probably do both since some like it one way or the other. Then animations add more work and complexity but it wasn't too hard to get a little something in.

I am a lot better doing artwork now then back in 2000, so I don't need to wait around for an artist to make something either. I can prototype something pretty fast. Keep in mind, RPGWO is not about fancy, awesome graphics. There are plenty of those, commercial and indie grade games out there, for ppl who like that, to play. For me, I have been playing RPGs for over 30 years and I will always pick features over flash. Gameplay is always better at keeping ppl around. Although flash gets them thru the door better.
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 07:52:53 pm »
I have been playing RPGs for over 30 years
wow you're old! ;D

if you want to add a walking animation(that 1 actually seemed to look ok), you could just do basic leg movement in a few general colors(5?) and have whatever legs/leg armor the player has set to 1 of the basic colors...might be an ok workaround.

Offline Mongo

• Attack: 91
    Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

• Total Badges: 29
    Sixth year Anniversary 10 Poll Votes Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 09:45:50 am »
I agree completely. Some of my favorite games of all time were very basic in terms of visuals.

One of them in specific, Dransik:

There was very little in terms of animation. Each character had like.. 3 or 4 frames that got skipped to at random order at a random delay. It looked a little silly, but it worked well.
Shoop!