3 (33.3%)
Other, Specify Below
1 (11.1%)
3x2 ratio, old school
1 (11.1%)
1.6 ratio, landscape
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Client Size  (Read 6092 times)

Offline Jon The Great

Re: Client Size
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2015, 09:34:28 am »
meh I like things separate being able to see everything at one time feels like it gives me more power/options.

Offline Mongo

• Attack: 91
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

• Total Badges: 29
    Badges: (View All)
    Sixth year Anniversary 10 Poll Votes Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2015, 10:09:50 am »
meh I like things separate being able to see everything at one time feels like it gives me more power/options.

Like what, specifically?

The general feel of most (if not all) modern games is a small intuitive HUD for information you need immediate access to such as vitals (and in this case, your target as well) and a chat. Interface buttons or keybindings used to bring up menus for everything else. I understand RPGWO doesn't need to conform to what is currently common practice, but there's a reason it's done all the time: people like it.

I don't need to be able to see my equipment all the time or how much experience to the next level or my level of run skill. A mini map is helpful to have up, but honestly, I've found that in games that require you to open a menu to view the map its really not all that bad and can add to immersion.

If interface menus were designed in such a way that those who didn't want them open could leave them closed most of the time and those who wanted to see everything could, that would be nice. It would mean that those who wished to keep menus open would suffer due to being able to see less of the "tactical map" which Mickey was looking to alleviate by shifting the screen.

I don't know the right answer, I only know what I'd like to see. If the interface was built into the window like in V1/V2, I think it would look much less modern and take away from many first impressions. It wouldn't keep me from playing it though.

The major things I didn't like about V5 were, in order:
  • Not much to do. Spent all my time repeating the same tasks over and over, slowly grinding up XP just so I could move up to the next tier of grind. While I'm ok with it being more difficult to level than V2, there needs to be more ways to gain this xp to essentially "hide" the grind. Players should have enough to do that they're not watching the "Xp to next level" number slowly increment. [[[Edit: I realize more was going to be added and V5 was not "complete"]]]
  • To make matters worse, when you actually DO gain a level, it doesn't really mean anything anymore. You don't get any new skills to play with. You can't spend XP on stuff. There's no way to improve yourself other than just repeat the same steps over and over.
  • The result of the first two points, there was no one else online to at least give company while grinding.
  • "Messy" feel of the world. Looked like someone's overgrown backyard and fly swarms everywhere.
  • Un-intuitive/clunky interface. I liked the direction you were going in but I think it needed work.
  • Color scheme of interface, bland browns everywhere!
  • Magic! There's no magic!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 10:12:47 am by Mongo »
Shoop!

Offline Jon The Great

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2015, 10:37:55 am »
I just generally disagree with the less is more theory. Somehow everything worked great when we had small monitors 15 inches. Now we have huge monitors and displays but show even less information. I dislike the current trends with interfaces being dumb down and they don't seem to work as well.

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2015, 11:04:56 am »
Yes, I would love to do this! V5 is full screen tactical map. Maybe if the tabs smoothly slide out then it wouldn't be as jarring? But I think they can slide out just enough so you can still see your player. I did the math for 1366 width and there is plenty of room, like 200+ pixels to spare if the tab width is 450.

Your test image still needs life/stamina/mana/karma bars and probably a world map in the upper right corner. I'll get a mock up soon.

EDIT: And an option to always keep them open so both preferences can be satisfied which V5 had.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 11:10:57 am by Mickey Kudlo »
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Naed

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2015, 12:20:07 pm »
Here is an example using dota 2 as a template, they have their UI down pat.

Additional buttons can be located along the blank spaces. Also for equipped stuff the inventory section might have a header with a shield icon or avatar icon that pops open your traditional RPGWO stick guy.

Point is that UI is critical, if it feels clunk it plays clunky.

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2015, 01:07:13 pm »
...looks like a good start, but you left out chat!  sort of reminds me of HnH interface, and I think the interface there would be a good starter if you're looking for ideas.
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Naed

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2015, 01:10:31 pm »
Traditional RPGWO chat would fit well just below the stat bars. Can likely squish the character and ability sections. or push up the stats.

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2015, 02:53:03 pm »
Isn't this interface more suited for a 3D view or a side scroller? An elongated 2D view doesn't quite seem right.

Offline Mongo

Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2015, 04:14:32 pm »
I'm honestly not a big fan of the long interface on the bottom 10% of the screen. It works for the game mentioned (Dota 2) due to the nature of the game. I honestly think it can be kept pretty simple. Did some more mspainting

Can save space by combining stuff. The compass/minimap in the top right also serves as a clock, the sun/moon rotating around clockwise with the top (north) indicator pointing to the current time. Also a clock is shown at the bottom of the compass.

Interface panels on the right side. Bottom is inventory, next one up would be equipment/paperdoll. Maybe a third for stats/level info. All should be semi transparent.

I shrunk chat to what I believe is an appropriate size in the bottom left.

Player/Target frames in an easily visible location. When in combat, you'll quickly be able to compare your vitals to your target's vitals. Yes, my design is ugly, I know that. It's about conceptualizing the layout.

I threw the guard/peaceful button on the bottom there because.. why not. It's a good place for buttons. Possibly a place you could put a quickbar for items or abilities, whatever.

One thing I didn't put in (because it's almost time for me to go home) is item usage/interactions. Like I said in the "what was wrong with v5" post, I would love to see these usages be put into a sort of radial menu. It looks good, it's intuitive, and it doesn't take up screen space.

I'm not expecting you to do all this, it's just what I'd like to see.
Shoop!

Offline Naed

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2015, 06:49:51 am »
Mongo you've nailed it.

That's a fantastic starting place.

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2015, 04:05:17 pm »
would also be nice if instead of just on/off for the different interface bits you could move them around(like the trade window and crafting window from V1/V2), and possibly resize them to fit where you want...

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2015, 12:40:26 pm »
Here is what I got so far.
The transparent chat was a pain to get to work right since C# richtextbox doesn't natively support it, but google figured it out.
The world map in the upper right is just a place holder for now.

Offline Mongo

Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2015, 01:03:03 pm »
Lookin' great!
Shoop!

Offline Sacrifice

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2015, 11:41:31 pm »
It looks great, keep up the good work  ;D

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2015, 10:30:23 pm »
OK, here is a real screen. I just used /megagrow so the plants grew like crazy and according to some... it is messy  :P

Everything on the screen is functional except the world map. Only keyboard to move and can't attack yet.

Offline uderghad

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2015, 12:04:19 am »

i agree with jon less is less x.x, i think this approch would be better.
fine tunning and making things more intuitive. instead of lowering quality...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 12:09:56 am by uderghad »

Offline Roarion

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2015, 02:37:35 pm »

i agree with jon less is less x.x, i think this approch would be better.
fine tunning and making things more intuitive. instead of lowering quality...

Nice free gears from cham.  :-P
Asylum - lvl 33 Thrower
Pyramid - lvl 40 Scythe
Dementia - lvl 69 Spear
Nexus V2 - lvl 61 Stealth
Rebirth - lvl 72 Bow
Ganymede - lvl 56 Mage
Hex - lvl 1000 Admin
Future - lvl 1000 Admin
Retired - Unless V6 pulls a miracle

Offline uderghad

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2015, 11:32:14 pm »
nothing in that picture was anything free, well except the picture itself lol

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2015, 01:52:31 am »
nothing in that picture was anything free, well except the picture itself lol
maybe not, but its easy to tell someone is cheating when they post a screenshot with a modified client.... :P

Offline uderghad

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2015, 02:36:50 am »
my client is not modified in anyway shape or form.

the picture i posted is a print to screen of my regular non modified client on hexxed then the picture itself
has been modified with paint.net to show my point of how i think what is best for the development of rpgwo.

as ive been saying for like a year now i want to remake rpgwo into 3d and taking c# and unity classes now.

but i also said im more than willing to share all my ideas with mickey as rpgwo wouldnt exsist without him ^.^, and id love to see his game flourish as only reason i want to remake into 3d is i want to play it lol.