3 (33.3%)
Other, Specify Below
1 (11.1%)
3x2 ratio, old school
1 (11.1%)
1.6 ratio, landscape
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Client Size  (Read 6093 times)

Offline Mickey Kudlo

Client Size
« on: April 26, 2015, 05:09:52 pm »
I want to do a dynamic size, so players can adjust it to what they want but at this time it is too much coding and I just want to get something playable.
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline hazze

Re: Client Size
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 08:30:52 pm »
1500x1000 would pose a problem for a lot of machines, a lot of wolfty laptops/etc nowadays are around 1366x768...

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 02:28:30 am »
1500x1000 would pose a problem for a lot of machines, a lot of wolfty laptops/etc nowadays are around 1366x768...
are you calling my laptop wolfty?  it isn't, I just have a horrible graphics card...

thats my vote 1366X768, though I'd also be fine with the V2 option.  in V5 I got black bars on the side of my screen, and they were always there(even when I opened a menu and the view size got smaller), so that was a crappy resolution for me.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 02:31:57 am by Greatest »
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Naed

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 07:28:02 am »
1366x768 is a good size. Being a pc person I would have said 1440x900 but they are essentially the same.

Offline Mongo

• Attack: 91
    Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

• Total Badges: 29
    Sixth year Anniversary 10 Poll Votes Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 09:08:31 am »
One thing I do want to mention is I think V5 saw too much. V2 saw like.. a 20x20 grid of spaces. I think this was a good view distance. V5 I think nearly doubled it and it was too much.
Shoop!

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 10:29:06 am »
V5 sees 43 x 27 spaces.

I am fine with 1366 X 768 for now until I can code a dynamic option. Just need to figure out the layout or should I keep the layout the same? I want to move chat to the right and expand the tactical view all the way down. At 768 resolution, that gives 24x24 viewable world. That sounds good to me.

Offline Naed

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 10:47:14 am »
I strongly suggest that the user interface be custom.

Functions should include minimize, move, and lock, and maybe even opacity settings of  0% - 25% - 50% - 75%.
This is for things like health stam mana, inventory, target(s), skills and any in game functionality. Creating this base object should not take a huge amount of time?

The pop out menu's for doing things, apart from game configuration, help, save, quit are long dead. This config menu should be center screen and blocking of all other functions.

Does anyone disagree with this? It's sort of the minimum requirements now is it not?

Offline Sacrifice

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 11:36:41 am »
Yes, but for now he is just making something playable.

Offline Naed

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 11:37:34 am »
In my experience, things like UI will not get attention once in use.

Offline Sacrifice

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 11:41:24 am »
Well when it is one person doing it all, I am sure he could find time to fix anything that isn't set up correctly.

Especially when he wants to make it dynamic in the end.

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 01:39:19 pm »
Is 1366 X 768 your full resolution or the max size window that will show and not get blocked by desktop crap like start button?

Offline hazze

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 02:48:51 pm »
1366x768 is the standard "craptop" resolution
there's a few vertical pixels used up for the startbar, these ss are 1:1 if you want to crop in paint

Offline Mongo

Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 02:58:07 pm »
Maybe someone good at interface design could provide some kind of mock up? I'm horrible at it, myself.

Is 1366 X 768 your full resolution or the max size window that will show and not get blocked by desktop crap like start button?

I tried to test this by taking a screenshot of my screen and pasting it in MSPaint to see what the size would be. My resolution is 1440x900 so I would have expected the resulting image to be 900 pixels tall. Instead, it was 1050 tall. If I shrunk it to 900, it chopped off more than the start bar, a good hunk of my screen space. So.. long story short, I have no idea.
Shoop!

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 03:11:56 pm »
Here is a 1366x768 mockup. Keep in mind that right now, I am shooting for the minimum size.

This gives a 25x25 map view.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 03:13:56 pm by Mickey Kudlo »

Offline hazze

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 03:12:24 pm »
If you want to capture the available screen space, just open notepad or anything else, maximize it and alt+printscr then paste that

Offline Mongo

Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2015, 04:18:53 pm »
Honestly, I think that is pretty intrusive. It's the same way as V2 and it's kind of a style that's gone out years ago. I would much rather have the majority of the entire window (90%+) be game space in which other windows can be drawn on top of through small un-obtrusive interface icons.

Went to MSPaint to show what I'm talking about. It's crude, but .. deal with it.

Smaller window overall but more space devoted to the game. Menu collapsed to side of screen. Chat is low-profile and semi-transparent to not take too much away from the game space.

When pressed, button will extend the menu over the main game screen, not functioning like V5 where it mushed the player's game screen off to the side to compensate.
Shoop!

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2015, 05:39:48 pm »
But now you are totally changing the look and feel of RPGWO which was the main reason people didn't like V5. Plus you now can't place/throw items down unless it scrolls back off screen while you are dragging. Also, you can't see monsters/players stalking up to you. Maybe it scrolls out only part way, not covering the player?

And people hated my chat over the tactical map but maybe it needed to be in a box?

But I would like to see the screen as much of the tactical map as possible. That I want. Or at least the full vertical with matching horizontal.

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2015, 02:01:19 am »
And people hated my chat over the tactical map but maybe it needed to be in a box?
we were fine with chat the way it was on screen, not the way you had to press enter to type anything...there should always be a chat bar at the bottom you can type in just by clicking and not have to press enter first.  V5 chat also had a thing were it closed when you clicked into the chat bar after pressing enter.  this was annoying to me because there was never a cursor there which 90% of the time lead to me clicking it when I hadn't already been chatting.

as far as side boxes go, I liked the idea in V5, I didn't like that it smushed my screen when they were opened while leaving black bars on the side...if it covered part of the view screen but was somewhat transparent I don't think it would be a problem.
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Mongo

Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2015, 08:46:56 am »
Yes, I am 100% fine with interface objects overlapping the game or what I guess you're calling the "tactical map". As long as transparency and window hiding are used, I think it has the best overall effect. I honestly don't like when my interface is on the screen all the time.

But now you are totally changing the look and feel of RPGWO which was the main reason people didn't like V5.
I don't know exactly how accurate that is. I didn't fully enjoy the interface in V5, it didn't feel intuitive. And I didn't like how the screen shifted when you opened windows.. but I guess it makes sense why you did that with the next part...

Plus you now can't place/throw items down unless it scrolls back off screen while you are dragging.
Yes, that is something that will need to be dealt with. One possibility is to just have the inventory window smaller and movable. Maybe we can come up with others.

Also, you can't see monsters/players stalking up to you. Maybe it scrolls out only part way, not covering the player?
Honestly, if you're busy in an inventory in an unsafe area, you SHOULD be able to get caught unaware. I think it's perfectly acceptable and wouldn't expect a game to compensate so I didn't have to deal with that. I think that not shifting the screen is easier and better.

V2's chat was better than V5. V2 had the configuration everyone has grown to expect in a chat. Chat in the bottom left, scrolling text history above with a line you can type in below. The only part it was missing is being semi transparent, overlapping the tactical map. Being able to select text in the box was also a huge plus. I'd say use V2 as a basis for the chat, just make it transparent and overlap the map.

I made a little mock up from a V2 screenshot. I'd say this is just fine, with varying levels of transparency. Also, the chat window probably shouldn't be that long, maybe about 20% thinner.

Edit: Looks like I managed to screw up some of the chat text when mucking around with my fake partial transparency in MSPaint. But it's almost good.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 08:50:19 am by Mongo »
Shoop!

Offline Naed

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2015, 08:50:31 am »
Looks fantastic.