Author Topic: Random Suggestions  (Read 6741 times)

Offline Sacrifice

Random Suggestions
« on: April 12, 2015, 03:33:48 am »
One of my ideas would be to change how skill leveling works in RPGWO. Most players, in current rpgwo, make a half trader half fighter. Or all fighter only after they have made a full trader to make all of their gear.

The point is, it is inconvenient to repeatedly re-roll your characters to become the same thing just in a different order. Also I think community driven games are generally more fun. So my solution to this, is a couple different ways to re roll your character (in a way) to where it's not basically just restarting and to add reasons for people to stay a certain way instead of doing everything themselves.

Now at this point you are probably thinking,"This lazy mother tigerer", or "If you want an easy game that doesn't take time go play blah blah blah".

But the point is, most people like the idea of being to change what they are without having to restart and especially if this game is going to recieve an influx of new players.

I have thought of a couple ways to achieve this, free ways and ways to make money.

My first two ideas are kind of drastic, first off you would have to remove specialization and set a base exp rate for every skill. Now this sounds boring at first, but once you think about the possibilities, it sounds pretty cool (to me anyway).

First, you could add an affinity type thing for various classes, it wouldn't bar you from using specific skills or anything, but it may help add bonus effects or maybe faster training to certain skills and yes I know this idea is basically re adding specs in a cookie cutter style. The only difference would be the possibility for maybe a Swordsman Affinity could have more XX than a say Axe Affinity which would have less XX but more YY
this idea would require balancing(alot) to become viable to keep every one from being the same thing.

Another possibility for this is to add a kind of school/faction type thing to it which would have many other implemetations, but those will be mentioned later. The way this would effect skills would be various for each type of server and each type of character. First off whatever you may gain is based off of what your esteem with the faction. This would be different from say farming reputation on like WoW because you don't actually have to farm anything.You gain esteem simply by being in said faction for how ever amount of time, the only way to lose your esteem for said faction would be to betray it and join a different one or go rogue. Of course you won't lose everything whenever you leave the faction, giving reason to jump around from time to time.
For example if you were a fighter with swords and you went to a samurai faction you could gain a magical scroll or something that may make your sword skill raise faster(basically specing it) and maybe if you get even higher esteem in said faction you would get another scroll to double it again (double spec?). To clarify this idea, you wouldn't be able to say get a 2x 4x and 6x modifier at the same time. THAT WOULD JUST BE OP.

For example if there is Lesser EXP Scroll, Higher Exp Scroll, and Master Exp Scroll, for 3 different factions lets say Sword, Swimming, and Black Magic (cause tiger the system). You could only use one of each level scroll at a time. With this example I could have a Lesser Sword Scroll, Higher Swimming Scroll, and Master Black Magic Scroll.

I have a couple more ideas, but I need to collect them more before typing them to make them sound less random.

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
Re: Random Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 10:32:26 pm »
your first idea just makes it easier for fighters to get what they need without having to buy it from crafters, as a player who is always full crafter I say: why?

your second idea...well thats all well and good for fighters who start as crafters, but what about those people who stick to what they like?  basicly your second idea means there is no reason for anyone to stick to any style of play since they can change styles get a bonus then change to something else using whichever bonuses they like.  this would actually mean people who stick to 1 play style are screwed!
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Mongo

• Attack: 91
    Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

• Total Badges: 29
    Sixth year Anniversary 10 Poll Votes Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 09:06:32 am »
I like brainstorming ideas but I'm not a big fan of these.

Your first suggestion basically turns the whole thing into a system with classes. Instead of being able to pick and choose your every skill, you are setup with a preset loadout of skills for which they get bonuses and free access to any other skill. To me, that seems to take away a lot of the creativity of the game. I can't imagine the balancing of it would ever be right and even if it got there, I don't see the advantage.

Having a hard time following your second idea, but it sounds like the first with the ability to shift rolls more easily.

I don't think there's anything necessarily bad about V1/V2's system. I think there's two main points of frustration:
  • Regretting specializing or not specializing skills after character creation
  • Regretting skill choice and needing to take the -1 skillpoints untrain penalty

In terms of wanting to re-roll to become a different type of character entirely, I think the system is fine.

Being able to pick and choose your skills is a very fun aspect of RPGWO. I wouldn't mind seeing some changes to make it new and fresh, but I think they should stay along the same lines.
Shoop!

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 11:29:27 am »
I can see spec'ing a skill after creation.

But, the -1 penalty keeps people from training skills, using them to make whatever, then untraining them. That makes traders useless plus other types. Train magic, heal/boost self, untrain magic, train stealth, sneak in, untrain stealth, train lockpick, picklocks, untrain picklock, etc, etc.

Maybe, to train a skill you need to "learn" it from another player or NPC. That could limit the abuse somewhat. But it would still be abusable.

Factions that gave boosts, like extra XP to skills sounds good. You would need to be in a "party" with them to get the boost though.

And we tried the Exclusive skill idea long ago and people hated it. Like if you train any trade skill, then all the weapon skills would not be trainable or vice versa.

A new idea could be scrolls that you read and it boosts the XP gain for a skill for a short time instead of just boosting the skill.
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Mongo

Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 11:40:12 am »
But, the -1 penalty keeps people from training skills, using them to make whatever, then untraining them. That makes traders useless plus other types. Train magic, heal/boost self, untrain magic, train stealth, sneak in, untrain stealth, train lockpick, picklocks, untrain picklock, etc, etc.

Hmm.. What if the attributes affiliated with a skill weren't as influential in defining how strong the skill was? Or it worked in another way.

So lets say you have locksmith and have trained it for a while, the skill is at 150. If you untrain it then re-train it, you could lose all the levels you had gained previously so it would be very low.

The problem now is if you do that, your dex+int are probably high enough to give you at least 50 levels in the skill right when it's trained.

Maybe if attributes defined the speed at which a skill is raised rather than increasing the base value of the skill? Have them all start at 1 and locksmith would raise faster based on your dex+int. Just a thought.
Shoop!

Offline Sacrifice

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 01:39:59 pm »
I was half asleep when I typed this, I am going to revise it in a little bit to clarify my visions for these ideas.

Small idea behind each:

The first idea isn't exactly typed how I meant it, the final result I was looking for from it was a server outcome where every fighter on the server didn't use throwing. This would be achieved by way of each attack type having maybe a crafting skill grouped with a fighting skill, still making the need for community trading. For example, maybe a mace user would have blacksmithing and maybe a little more strength? I know the first idea wasn't my first choice, but I was just throwing ideas out to get people thinking, as well maybe people can post their suggestions here

The second idea was basically a mix between a new way of specing skills to add more content to the game, and it wouldn't just be for fighters it would be for crafters to in the end. There would be schools for every skill (within reason) and each would have a buff for specific skills.

The first idea wasn't my first choice(but it is an option), but I was just throwing ideas out to get people thinking, as well maybe people can post their suggestions here.

Offline Roarion

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 02:02:29 pm »

The first idea isn't exactly typed how I meant it, the final result I was looking for from it was a server outcome where every fighter on the server didn't use throwing.

The second idea was basically a mix between a new way of specing skills to add more content to the game, and it wouldn't just be for fighters it would be for crafters to in the end. There would be schools for every skill (within reason) and each would have a buff for specific skills.

IMO if everyone picks throwing on a server you have done a bad job balancing the weapons. A dex/quick ranged skill with as much damage as every other skills is a bad idea. All that is needed to prevent everyone from picking throwing is to ensure that dex/quick skills have 1 range, or you worsen the damage on the weapon. I think it's common sense that range is a huge advantage in this game and should be given proper nerfs.

On specing skills later, do you just instantly gain 100-200 levels that you missed because you didnt have the skill spec previously? Or do the raises following specing the skill change? I like the idea of not gaining the free 100-200 levels, and instead it becomes a challenge for you as a fighter/mage/trader. An optimal character would avoid training non-spec skills, but have a much harder time playing until they could use spec skills.
Asylum - lvl 33 Thrower
Pyramid - lvl 40 Scythe
Dementia - lvl 69 Spear
Nexus V2 - lvl 61 Stealth
Rebirth - lvl 72 Bow
Ganymede - lvl 56 Mage
Hex - lvl 1000 Admin
Future - lvl 1000 Admin
Retired - Unless V6 pulls a miracle

Offline Mongo

Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 03:05:42 pm »
Talking about balancing weapons, I'm surprised there isn't a commonly used "weight" system. Just as an example, a poor quality weapon might have a weight of -5, a common weapon might be 0 and a good quality weapon 5. Maybe even a rare/unique weapon of 10.

Then, assign each attribute a point value.
+points for damage dealt, range, speed, etc.
-points for skill requirements or number of hands needed

So a "Common Sword" dealing 6-10 damage with 1 second swing speed and a skill requirement of 20 sword could be weighted as follows.

(DmgMin*MinWght+DmgMax*MaxWght+(1/Speed)*SpdWeight+Range*RangeWeight)-(SkillReq*ReqWeight)

Try out some values for the weights,
MinWeight=1
MaxWeight=1
SpdWeight=3
RangeWeight=5
ReqWeight=1.25

6*1+10*1+(1/1)*3+1*5-20*1.25
6+10+3+5-25 = -1

Overall weapon weight is -1. Obviously more testing would need to be done to establish what kind of damage is considered to be "average" and some baselines for ranged weapons (setting RangeWeight to 5 was fairly arbitrary, I doubt each square of range increase is 5x better than the previous), but I can't imagine trying to manually balance all weapons without using something like this.
Shoop!

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 07:30:55 pm »
Talking about balancing weapons, I'm surprised there isn't a commonly used "weight" system.
in V2(and maybe V1 I never actually noticed back then) weapons have a rating.  so there is sort of a system...

The first idea wasn't my first choice(but it is an option), but I was just throwing ideas out to get people thinking, as well maybe people can post their suggestions here.
I honestly don't see the problem with the current system.  if you want to be a fighter you can always start as a fighter and buy from a crafter instead of re rolling your skills.  it means those of us who like to play with the crafting system and not go out fighting(millions of games where you can fight, this is the only 1 I've found that allows for a full crafter option) are actually useful on a server instead of just having everyone being able to do everything on their own!

Offline hazze

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 10:48:04 pm »
Talking about balancing weapons, I'm surprised there isn't a commonly used "weight" system.
in V2(and maybe V1 I never actually noticed back then) weapons have a rating.  so there is sort of a system...

I'm pretty sure that's just a rudimentary min+max/2 * 10/speed or something, it doesn't take into effect things like base attributes synergising with defences or unique effects like stamina drain &c

Offline Mongo

Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 08:23:10 am »
After seeing a new post in the v2 section by Shimya (http://rpgwoforums.net/index.php?topic=4746.msg75060;topicseen#msg75060) that would be a good thing to change - having wands that can be used as weapons.

Probably the easiest way to handle it would be to have weapons and wands be treated the same. If the item has a damage stat, it can be used as a physical weapon. If the item has a wandpower stat, it can be used to cast spells.
Shoop!

Offline Naed

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 01:41:23 pm »
That would make a ton of sense with staves and daggers. In fact all wands might be classified as daggers or maces with very poor melee damage.

Offline Mongo

Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 02:10:10 pm »
I don't think you need to be able to attack with all "wands" or be able to cast with all ... non-"wands", but I think the option should be there and used once in a while. I think with staves it makes the most sense. In order to balance it properly, the spell power would be reduced to compensate for the physical properties.
Shoop!

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 03:14:38 pm »
Yes, I am planning a "weapons as wands" feature.

Also, weapons that have specific spells on them. Like item boost, skill boost, heal, etc. "Bronze Heavy Axe of Healing" or some crap.

Offline Roarion

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 08:03:33 pm »
Yes, I am planning a "weapons as wands" feature.

Also, weapons that have specific spells on them. Like item boost, skill boost, heal, etc. "Bronze Heavy Axe of Healing" or some crap.

If you can cast and attack at the same time with the same item, they should use a similar cool down unlike V2.
Asylum - lvl 33 Thrower
Pyramid - lvl 40 Scythe
Dementia - lvl 69 Spear
Rebirth - lvl 72 Bow
Ganymede - lvl 56 Mage
Hex - lvl 1000 Admin
Future - lvl 1000 Admin

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 08:59:17 pm »
Like item boost, skill boost, heal, etc. "Bronze Heavy Axe of Healing" or some crap.
I like the idea of weapon bonuses, but shouldn't there be some correlation between the weapon and the spell it has?  an axe that heals just seems a little strange to me.  on the other hand, a mace that has a stun spell would seem normal, or a bow that has a slowing effect(leg shot?) on a target.

Offline Mongo

Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2015, 08:34:56 am »
I like the idea of weapon bonuses, but shouldn't there be some correlation between the weapon and the spell it has?  an axe that heals just seems a little strange to me.  on the other hand, a mace that has a stun spell would seem normal, or a bow that has a slowing effect(leg shot?) on a target.

An axe that stuns and a bow that slows sound like "normal" effects for a weapon. I don't see the harm in expanding into magic/enchant effects for weapons though. Probably/hopefully less common.
Shoop!

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2015, 07:27:29 pm »
well if any weapon can have the possibility of any spell, can you just imagine a bow with a good range and great damage casting a spell like revive so the shooter is able to keep running and shooting without ever having to stop?  it can be way too overpowered if certain weapons get certain spells.  there need to be some limits.

Offline Roarion

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2015, 08:47:23 pm »
well if any weapon can have the possibility of any spell, can you just imagine a bow with a good range and great damage casting a spell like revive so the shooter is able to keep running and shooting without ever having to stop?  it can be way too overpowered if certain weapons get certain spells.  there need to be some limits.

You basically described V2. Running and shooting is a really inefficient way to kill monsters and requires a lot more work. I see no problem with a variety of spells on weapons besides healing for very large amounts or shooting additional magic damage spells.
Asylum - lvl 33 Thrower
Pyramid - lvl 40 Scythe
Dementia - lvl 69 Spear
Rebirth - lvl 72 Bow
Ganymede - lvl 56 Mage
Hex - lvl 1000 Admin
Future - lvl 1000 Admin

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2015, 10:52:22 pm »
Spells on weapons (and armor) would have a charge limit amount. Like random 5 - 10 max, depending on the ore maybe. And once cast out, you use a mana charge on it to refuel it or it slowly recharges on its own... sloooowly.

And archers can hit and run right now with potions, so it not a new thing or even a bad thing. An alchemist has their advantages too.