Author Topic: World Map Creation  (Read 9140 times)

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
Re: World Map Creation
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2015, 08:13:09 pm »
also worth noting: what if someone decides they want to live way off in some remote area(like the island in the top center of that map) and they die...they get warped all the way back to the start point and then they're just screwed!  I'm all for the whole realism thing to a point, but remember this is a game and there needs to be more fun than hard!
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2015, 12:12:53 am »
also worth noting: what if someone decides they want to live way off in some remote area(like the island in the top center of that map) and they die...they get warped all the way back to the start point and then they're just screwed!  I'm all for the whole realism thing to a point, but remember this is a game and there needs to be more fun than hard!
Assuming they don't have a lifestone of their own, of course.
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Naed

« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2015, 06:57:03 am »
Greatest I would argue that living that far away when I kill an intruder it takes them that much more effort to reach me again.

That's really a terrible argument for us who want their remote island estate. If you choose to live out in nowhere land, you know what you're doing.

Offline uderghad

« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2015, 09:24:39 am »
well mongo you could save alot of processing power for his idea for water flow calculation if you went minecraft style. based on player interaction and saves direction to a variable which is in turn that until the next interaction.   like block updates etc

Offline Mongo

• Attack: 91
    Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

• Total Badges: 29
    Sixth year Anniversary 10 Poll Votes Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2015, 09:36:07 am »
well mongo you could save alot of processing power for his idea for water flow calculation if you went minecraft style. based on player interaction and saves direction to a variable which is in turn that until the next interaction.   like block updates etc

That's true. My mind went right for the direct simulation method when there was a much more efficient method.
Shoop!

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2015, 10:44:17 am »
Assuming they don't have a lifestone of their own, of course.
how are you planning lifestones?  will it still be done with magic, or will it be something craftable?

on that note, what are your thoughts for magic in this new version?  or should I start another topic for that?

@Naed, you're right that was a bad argument, if you can warp you'd be able to warp back home easily.  same can be said for the person you just killed being able to warp back to you...
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2015, 12:46:04 pm »
Lifestones, not sure. I would like to see them gawd and karma based. Saying a prayer on a zircon ore to create one. But maybe they need to be tied to an altar or temple some how. Which brings up gawds and what role they play. I don't see magic being powerful enough to resurrect someone fully, I guess, but gawd magic can. I'll get a gawd thread going some day to talk about it.

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2015, 12:54:29 am »
Here is the current world map, 2000x2000 but I shrunk the image to 1000x1000.
It is ugly from this far out but when you walk around in it, it works pretty well with the biomes and all. Need to make the lakes not so round though.

Can you figure out where the start spot is???

My warrior was able to walk around the continent on the right, all along the shoreline. Took forever. Basically a 1000x2000 map walk while fighting crap left and right.
Didn't try to swim across though. Wasn't sure where the shorter distances were to the other side. Need to add boats some day.