Author Topic: World Map Creation  (Read 9138 times)

Offline Roarion

Re: World Map Creation
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2015, 01:12:31 pm »

The fishing mini-game would be a combo of fishing skill and action.
- skill and randomness determines what size fish you hook
- use arrow keys to reel and move rod around
- your skill and fish difficulty determines how easy/hard the fish is to catch, like some one with low skill needs to let the reel out more to avoid line break where someone with higher skill just reels the fish in non-stop unless of course the fish is big and has high difficulty.

A hunting mini-game with a bow/xbow/throw weapon could have a targeting window that you need to set to execute, or something.

A mining mini-game would be an unearthed grave! That pops up like a circus game and you have to wallop the zombie where ever it pops its head, heh.

Does the mini game pop up every time you try to do something? Personally I think it sounds like a waste of time when better things could be done.

Remove- Fishing mini game
Add-  The V2 version of fishing is confusing. Maybe make it more like runescape (/facepalm) where random ponds of fish popup and you actually have a chance at fishing something rather then randomly throwing your hook into the water and getting message that the area might be overfished.

Remove- Hunting mini game
Add- Miss and the animal runs away instead? Maybe some mobs turn aggro?

Remove- Mining mini game
Add- Miners could run into abandoned mines, lost caverns where monsters might live and they could find loot, maybe some monsters, etc.
Asylum - lvl 33 Thrower
Pyramid - lvl 40 Scythe
Dementia - lvl 69 Spear
Nexus V2 - lvl 61 Stealth
Rebirth - lvl 72 Bow
Ganymede - lvl 56 Mage
Hex - lvl 1000 Admin
Future - lvl 1000 Admin
Retired - Unless V6 pulls a miracle

Offline Mongo

• Attack: 91
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

• Total Badges: 29
    Badges: (View All)
    Sixth year Anniversary 10 Poll Votes Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2015, 02:51:34 pm »
I gotta admit, I'm pretty skeptical about these "mini games". I guess I don't know exactly what you guys have in mind. Are we talking about like.. you're in the game, you start fishing and suddenly a new window/box comes up with something completely detached from the world/environment where you play a separate little game and are rewarded with fish?

When hunting, would it be like The Oregon Trail?

Quite honestly ... I .. really don't like these ideas. I'm all for making crafting/gathering fun, but ... this doesn't seem right at all.

I think fishing could be spiced up, sure. But keep it in the same world where others can see you fishing as well. You can still incorporate your ideas while keeping it in the same game world.

Hunting .. I think should just involve chasing down / trapping critters that are hard to catch.

I really hope you're joking about the mining mini game. I'm personally all for unearthed graves though, but at deeper elevations. High risk, high reward kinda thing. I'd even be fine with cave-ins or other "surprises" while mining. I don't think anyone should feel completely safe anywhere. If you can perform a task while AFK, it's not engaging enough. But I don't think it should necessarily be a super involved process to hit a rock with a sharp object.
Shoop!

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2015, 11:05:49 pm »
what Roar said!

can't agree with Mongo because I've always hated unearthed graves...
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Mongo

Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2015, 09:10:06 am »
can't agree with Mongo because I've always hated unearthed graves...

Yeah, I know :). They are absolutely a pain and most of my experiences with them have been "Well, there's a monster in my basement.. I can no longer mine". But I think they could be implemented in such a way where they weren't just an annoyance.
Shoop!

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2015, 10:27:26 am »
Any mini-games are like... 1-2 years away so, basically, we will all forget by then :)

In V5 the monsters roam around so I would find rabbits and rats in my basement and nearby mines quite often. Even ran into a Grayvyn that got lost once. Don't worry, I sent them back to their tribe stone  :P

I can see cave dwellers making homes in mines like bats and other night only creatures.
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Sacrifice

« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2015, 03:36:08 pm »
i wont forget q-q

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2015, 02:32:11 pm »
Here is a sample 2000x2000 size map. First the elevation map then the terrain map.

Terrain colors:
- dark gray = mountain
- light blue = ocean (ocean will have shallow, medium and deep biomes eventually)
- dark blue = arctic
- medium blue = tundra
- dark green = coniferous forest
- medium green = deciduous forest
- light green = plains
- light light green = tropical forest
- light yellow = arid plains
- dark yellow = desert

Missing swamps, still not sure how to add them since they need to be completely flat and the elevation map is barely flat anyplace in large enough amounts. No streams either, just lakes. The colder climates at top, working way down to bottom, hotter. It isn't completely realistic but it does do a decent job giving diverse terrain. We won't know until players get in world and walk around and see first hand though.

Offline hazze

« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2015, 02:56:02 pm »
Is there a thirst mechanic in play here? Like water actually needed? On V2 I've seen water listed as a food stat but no idea what it ever actually does

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2015, 03:17:03 pm »
Is there a thirst mechanic in play here? Like water actually needed? On V2 I've seen water listed as a food stat but no idea what it ever actually does
I haven't added thirst. Not sure if I will. I leave it up to players :)

Offline Mongo

Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2015, 03:58:02 pm »
I enjoy hunger/thirst as long as it's not done too crazily. If I need to drink and eat every 10 minutes, that's a pain in the rumpus. Maybe if health and stamina regen was based purely off your hunger/thirst level it would be good so rather than killing you at 0, you simply don't regenerate. Makes it really beneficial to be well fed but not necessarily detrimental if it drops low.
Shoop!

Offline Sacrifice

« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2015, 07:45:12 pm »
I enjoy hunger/thirst as long as it's not done too crazily. If I need to drink and eat every 10 minutes, that's a pain in the rumpus. Maybe if health and stamina regen was based purely off your hunger/thirst level it would be good so rather than killing you at 0, you simply don't regenerate. Makes it really beneficial to be well fed but not necessarily detrimental if it drops low.

This especially for drinks would be great.

Offline Sacrifice

« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2015, 12:12:38 am »
Back on topic the map looks great by the way.

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2015, 12:37:20 am »
so basicly its stick to the middle of the map because top and bottom are mostly useless?  

also you said certain plants/animals will only be available in certain biomes, so:
in a forest biome, if someone chops down all the trees, does it become a normal plain biome, or does it remain a forest biome just without trees?  
if it remains a forest biome, and someone tries to plant a different type of tree than its native tree type will they not grow?  
if it becomes a plain and the person plants another type of tree does it then become the other type of forest?

also a little off topic, are you partially color blind or do I need to adjust my color settings?  your "light yellow" is white, and your "light blue" is gray...you should throw in some black and red and orange and brown and purple to mix things up :P

edit: tropical forest means jungle right?

Offline Naed

« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2015, 06:45:10 am »
Looks amazing.

Offline Mongo

Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2015, 09:04:28 am »
so basicly its stick to the middle of the map because top and bottom are mostly useless? 

Would be nice to see the top and bottom be more "High risk, high reward" areas. In other games, I'd go establish in the snow area. Tougher to survive out there but I enjoy needing to worry about temperature. Less people because people don't wanna deal with that as much. Plus there's something about snowy areas that I really enjoy.

Shoop!

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2015, 11:22:43 am »
Does anyone really live in the middle of a desert or the arctic? You can but won't be able to grow anything much. Can still fish though :)

also you said certain plants/animals will only be available in certain biomes, so:
in a forest biome, if someone chops down all the trees, does it become a normal plain biome, or does it remain a forest biome just without trees? 
if it remains a forest biome, and someone tries to plant a different type of tree than its native tree type will they not grow? 
if it becomes a plain and the person plants another type of tree does it then become the other type of forest?

Biomes stay the same since they are really climate zones. As long as the surface is dirt/grass based, you should be able to grow anything. Surfaces like Desert sand, arctic snow or mountain rock won't grow stuff or very little.

also a little off topic, are you partially color blind or do I need to adjust my color settings?  your "light yellow" is white, and your "light blue" is gray...you should throw in some black and red and orange and brown and purple to mix things up :P
The colors look good to me. Players will rarely if ever see these maps anyways.

edit: tropical forest means jungle right?
Yeah, jungle.

Would be nice to see the top and bottom be more "High risk, high reward" areas. In other games, I'd go establish in the snow area. Tougher to survive out there but I enjoy needing to worry about temperature. Less people because people don't wanna deal with that as much. Plus there's something about snowy areas that I really enjoy.

The further away from the start, the higher the level monsters/animals. I do feel the extreme biomes do need something extra to get players to explore them though. Unique plants and resources, quests, etc.

I think I just realized the whole water question was more about ... do we really need that much water? For that test, land was set to 60%. Maybe 75% would be better? But then you start to approach water as large isolated lakes and not as open oceans. Oceans won't be a waste of space. I want to get underwater exploration, exploiting and living implemented somehow.

Offline Naed

« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2015, 12:23:29 pm »
Oceans play the very important role of creating control area's.

Continents can be controlled by race or players much easier than a piece of a continent.

I suggest making travel through ocean elevation very arduous. Requiring a ship, not a raft to traverse, maybe even a sailing and shipwright skill. People will be able to setup ferry routes, and any added values to traders is great in my opinion.

To accomplish this you'd mimic the raft logic, only reducing the effecting elevation of a raft to shallow waters, and creating a ship item with full range of mobility at sea.

This would also add deep sea fishing, something that could not be done easily.

Side tracked a little eh? Well my point is instead of removing a beautiful feature of the map due to lack of utility or content, add the utility and content.

Offline Sacrifice

« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2015, 01:40:59 pm »
Oceans play the very important role of creating control area's.

Continents can be controlled by race or players much easier than a piece of a continent.

I suggest making travel through ocean elevation very arduous. Requiring a ship, not a raft to traverse, maybe even a sailing and shipwright skill. People will be able to setup ferry routes, and any added values to traders is great in my opinion.

To accomplish this you'd mimic the raft logic, only reducing the effecting elevation of a raft to shallow waters, and creating a ship item with full range of mobility at sea.

This would also add deep sea fishing, something that could not be done easily.

Side tracked a little eh? Well my point is instead of removing a beautiful feature of the map due to lack of utility or content, add the utility and content.

This sounds like an awesome addition to the game, I am not sure how it could be implemented though.

But yeah +1 this idea.

Offline Mongo

Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2015, 03:36:29 pm »
I think 60% land is great. Love seeing islands or big sections of land cut off by water, especially if there's gonna be more stuff incorporated into water (but even if there isn't)
Shoop!

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2015, 06:36:45 pm »
I agree with Mickey, that is too much water!  even if ocean content were to be added, it would be something minor that only a few people would ever use.  as far as dividing up a continent, ever looked at the UK and how they have 3 whole nations(scotland, wales, and england) on that tiny little island?  it led to a lot of conflict over the years, and something like that in game could lead to a lot of fun quests!

as far as not being able to traverse an ocean in a raft: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kon-Tiki_expedition