Author Topic: C# for Server and Client???  (Read 1793 times)

Offline Mickey Kudlo

C# for Server and Client???
« on: April 02, 2015, 01:57:35 pm »
So this is how I am leaning on doing:

- server in C#, based on V5 server since it already has a ton of coding done. Can redo/fix issues players currently have. Also V4 has code I can migrate. Will use the V2 VB6 code as a guide on coding various features like guilds, scripting, etc.

- client in C#, no game library, just straight C#. I tested the native graphics and it supports transparency and alpha blending which I want. This will be coded to closely match V1/V2 aesthetics and classic feel. A lot of graphics from V1/V2 will be used but a lot needs replacing due to copyright and such. If we can get a consistent look for artwork then we have good chance to get new players from the various indie websites. I am open to artists but it has to be consistent with the current base, not a mix of different styles which was why I did all the V5 art work myself. I think this should run on Mac/Linux as well since it is .net?

I think the version should be officially called V6 since it is not based directly on the VB6 code.

THIS IS A LONG TERM PROJECT! Do NOT expect to play anything complete or even playable for a while... 6-12 months? But, I would be in "constant" contact with the forums/players to keep the direction pleasing to us all.

At this point, I am pretty motivated and players seem to be thirsty enough for a modernized RPGWO as well, so the whole money issue has fizzled out.  If interest does die out then we can address that later.

Soooo, how does all that sound?
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Aero

Re: C# for Server and Client???
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 02:06:38 pm »
Sounds good. I'm glad you are happy to be back working on rpgwo. No other game comes close to it for me. Minecraft, terraria, rust etc have never been what rpgwo was. Glad you're bringing back the classic look. Being a v1/2 player I loved it. Don't know much about the coding etc but I'm sure what you do will work. Thanks for working on rpgwo again. Looking forward to a new server.
Lol.

Offline Roarion

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 10:35:25 am »
At this point, I am pretty motivated and players seem to be thirsty enough for a modernized RPGWO as well, so the whole money issue has fizzled out.  If interest does die out then we can address that later.

Soooo, how does all that sound?

There is a large difference between the players who comment on the forum, and the people who still actively play the game. It is my personal belief that at this point and time that if you are building this game for all of the "veteran players" then you're wasting your time. A majority of the veteran player base will play the server for maybe a months time for nostalgia sake and then quit. If you cannot get new players into the game (expand to mobile?) you will pump out a V6 server and might get 20 players online tops spending almost a year on the project.

Lets say you managed to get the V6 identical to v2, here are the major issues I think the game contains -

Multi-use is lackluster. Can't preserve data, set fail XP, feels like its hacked together.
Hardcoded values - just annoying. Such as pick being the only item that can auto mine.
Variety in item creation - allow an itemuse to give a treasure set.
Boosting of noobs - It's too easy for a high level player to give a low lvl player some of the best items in the game. They make no attempt to get better / work for things. Fix with burden.
Traders - You're wasting your time trying to satisfy these people. Right now I have one of the most trader intensive worlds up, and 99% playing in a week will be fighters.
Fighters - These people are the most important to satisfy as they will be playing your server for the longest amount of time. Have high level mobs/items/quests.
Renewals - No way to set them on items besides treasure drops.
Progressive XP - Speaks for itself - Around end game maybe 20k XP per hit (1000+ stats)
Scripting - Buggy, seems like it works half the time - auto-warping a larger amount of players into something fails. Lots of other issues with it.
Floating maps - No underground // siege doesn't work in them // cant set itemdata6 in itemini?
Wav files - Huge amount of space to get any music into the game.

Lots of other things I could think of if I spent the time. If you truly are building a v6 for the "vets" I would encourage you to log into the game and ask people online what they are interested in. Worst that happens is you get ignored.

Here is what I think would make a good v6 world -
---------------------------------------------------------
PK sectors after 300 stats.
Quests for every 75-100 levels, NON-PK
Small map to encourage PVP for those who want it.
Fighters are bad at the start - Slow XP w/o traders help.
Can't get camped in town/at a LS because of PK.
Non-stealing - bumping / no one likes someone trashing all their items to make them quit.
Allow players to use /open to a certain extent. Maybe you need to approve it? Some player driven content.

Probably lots of stuff I forgot to mention, but would need to see a prototype of the world / play around with it to give more feedback.
V5 could be considered a prototype I guess, but the combat is to buggy / movement is horrid.
Asylum - lvl 33 Thrower
Pyramid - lvl 40 Scythe
Dementia - lvl 69 Spear
Nexus V2 - lvl 61 Stealth
Rebirth - lvl 72 Bow
Ganymede - lvl 56 Mage
Hex - lvl 1000 Admin
Future - lvl 1000 Admin
Retired - Unless V6 pulls a miracle

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 01:54:53 pm »
@Roarion, thanks for the feedback and ideas.

I guess you are right about most ppl are fighters with crafting on the side. I generally play 50/50. I like to build but also like hunting.

V5 client does support Android. I haven't published one for it yet or updated it. That one of the reasons the GUI is big and simple, so phones and tablet can play it.

And your right about veterans playing it a month then quitting. That why I brought up the money issue to get players to commit better.

A lot of indie game site advertising could get things going for new players as long as the graphics are decent and it actually has sound, heh. And maybe an actual story.

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 11:53:06 am »
I officially started work on this over the weekend.

Offline Sacrifice

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 07:46:11 am »
Excellent!

One small step for Grayvyn, you know the rest.

Offline uderghad

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 08:20:06 pm »
i like the idea of c# im taking a college course for c# and unity atm ^.^