Poll

Should Mickey code RPGWO version 3 from base version 2 code? And would you pay for it?

Yes, I would pay $20
Yes, but I would not pay
Maybe, depends on features, etc
No and no
Other, post it

Author Topic: Real RPGWO Version 3  (Read 13498 times)

Offline Mickey Kudlo

Real RPGWO Version 3
« on: March 27, 2015, 02:51:39 pm »
I have been thinking about this for several months if I should work on a real version 3 using the VB6 version 2 code.

To be honest, I think the only real motivating factor would be money. If players paid me to do it then it would keep me motivated and committed and gives the players confidence I would stick with it. Plus it convinces me that players want and will also commit to it since with the last couple of V2 worlds I created, players weren't really interested in them, so I felt like I wasted my time.

I don't need the money but I do need both of us committed somehow to make it work.

I was thinking maybe for every $100, I would give a month of work. I would do the first month free to convince players I am serious and to get some basic idea of new features and content we want to implement so players can get an idea of what they are paying for. Maybe those who pay would only be allowed on a V3 world.

So let me know what you think. I'll create a V3 forum where we can post about features, content, etc.
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Jon The Great

Re: Real RPGWO Version 3
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 02:57:19 pm »
The only way it would work is some kind of monthly payment maybe with a prepaid yearly. So you have motivation seeing the reoccurring payments come in. I stopped doing any kind of project that does not have any kind of reoccurring payment method.

https://www.braintreepayments.com allows 50k in processing with no fees taken out.

VB6 still looks good for current generation. Malware bytes antimalware system is still based on it.

Offline hazze

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 02:58:54 pm »
patreon.com maybe?

Offline Kaios

• Attack: 69
    Defense: 58
    Attack Member
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 44
    Badges: (View All)
    50 Poll Votes 10 Poll Votes Invisible
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 03:26:20 pm »
I would be happy to pay you $20 once but there is no way I would pay that monthly, at least not until you have put a few months of work in to it and had some decent progress to show for it.

Think of it like if you were just going to do a kickstarter, which also isn't a bad idea but of course you need some work to show off before getting to that point. Anyways, what I mean is I'm willing to essentially donate so you have incentive and funds to help you work on this but if you want me or anyone to pay a monthly subscription that is above $5 it better damn well be worth it.
(Insert witty signature here)

Offline Mongo

• Attack: 91
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

• Total Badges: 29
    Sixth year Anniversary 10 Poll Votes Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 03:36:30 pm »
I voted "Yes, I would pay $20" because .. well I love RPGWO and I will take any chance for it to continue development.

But honestly, I do question your motivation/dedication to finish a project, even with the money behind it. I'm sure you understand why.

I want it to happen and I would pay money to have it happen.
Shoop!

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 03:39:45 pm »
I wouldn't want a monthly subscription. Just a one time payment. I could use something like Braintree or just do what I did for years with Paypal, manually.

Offline Pokemon Steve

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 04:01:32 pm »
This will go no where.

Release the source on Github, licence it under GPL and lead the development as a community.

Offline Kaios

• Attack: 69
    Defense: 58
    Attack Member
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 44
    50 Poll Votes 10 Poll Votes Invisible
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 04:47:19 pm »
I wouldn't want a monthly subscription. Just a one time payment. I could use something like Braintree or just do what I did for years with Paypal, manually.

That sounds fine and I think it would be a good place to start to get some income coming in so that you can begin work and later on perhaps once you've got some content to show off maybe you can take some screenshots, create a video or find an artist to do artwork and you can write up a summary for a kickstarter and start trying to bring in donations or selling those tiered founder packages.
(Insert witty signature here)

Offline Sacrifice

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 05:43:37 pm »
I would be happy to donate money, or even help with the work to get this game going again

Offline Saint

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 09:22:57 pm »
Mickey man I've been playing this game since I was a kid. Years now. I've always thought the skill systems you set up were genius, maybe flawed but generally one of a kind and exciting. I've loved the world building you created man. Truely ahead of its time.

But Mickey man, your like that father who walks out on his kid and only shows up every couple of years promising to take that kid to a baseball game and how he's got his crap together and this time he is going to stick around for real.

You have a bit of a reputation for not caring about or loving this game. It seemed over the years you would leave the game with anyone to keep from having to deal with it yourself. Think UT ect. And every couple of years you show up and talk about the NEW version you're working on, you'll post a few post on the forums, maybe even release a shabby demo and then poof disappear again.

And now you want people to bet money on you sticking around with your track record? I have no problem with donating to people who have a passion and provide evolutionary games. Look at dwarf fortress. It has one programmer but enough people donate to him every month he basically gets paid like its his job.

But the difference between him and you is people pay him to follow his passion and help bring his amazing dream into reality. What you are doing right now comes across as wanting money and offering to stick a couple of bandaids and a little fresh paint onto rpgwo.

I know this looks like a total bashing post man but honestly I only wrote it because I really hope that it will change your way of thinking. Either stick around and develop rpgwo because you love and believe in the game, and maybe eventually people will help fund your hard work and dream, or hand it over to someone else who will give it the attention and dedication this amazing game you made deserves. Not because they need a reason to stick around like money, but because they believe in the game itself.

Offline uderghad

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 12:01:12 am »
id be interested in paying 5 dollars per account with atleast 3 chars per account (1 logged in at a time etc). but if im to do that i would want a rebuild of v2 , dedicated server that will not be going anywhere. 2 i would want the skills to scale with the character all the way to atleast lv 500. and i would want constant server updates and game mechanic improvements. example. character animations, skill balancing, class oriented so there is a point to go with certain character builds and the game to reflect the balance or game play choice. more events maybe even a party raid system. also i want a party system at least that allows up to 6 players to join and exp is shared and distributed based on level compared to monsters etc so no power leveling. i want certain classes abilitys to reflect off it.  theif using stamina for backstab etc. or maybe a beserker using a cleave attack that hits all enemys or has a chance to infront of target using health as its . im not saying it has to be exactly like this but you did ask for our opinion . if you want any more of my gameplay improvement ideas i have massive amount of ideas. but what ever you do, if its not an improvement on the base of rpgwo v2, i doubt ill be interested . i do not like the learn skills as you go system because that was one of the best things about leveling up. obtaining alot of skills.

ps i also don't mind if you instead put level restriction pay walls / dlc content paywalls instead of monthly system.  like 20, 40 , 60, 80, 100, 120 etc. as long as im getting my moneys worth, i dont want to pay money then do a half ass made elf quest with unbalanced world. i would expect actual good work done and to continue as i pay. while im throwing ideas out tho i would also enjoy dungion raids where you can enter as a party and defeat a mega boss together and drops while in party or raid dont drop on ground but in a temporary pool where people can cast a lot or pass and does a random number roll from 1 to 100 and highest number gets item etc.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 12:05:43 am by uderghad »

Offline Lyliandra

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 09:56:06 am »
Mickey man I've been playing this game since I was a kid. Years now. I've always thought the skill systems you set up were genius, maybe flawed but generally one of a kind and exciting. I've loved the world building you created man. Truely ahead of its time.

But Mickey man, your like that father who walks out on his kid and only shows up every couple of years promising to take that kid to a baseball game and how he's got his crap together and this time he is going to stick around for real.

You have a bit of a reputation for not caring about or loving this game. It seemed over the years you would leave the game with anyone to keep from having to deal with it yourself. Think UT ect. And every couple of years you show up and talk about the NEW version you're working on, you'll post a few post on the forums, maybe even release a shabby demo and then poof disappear again.

And now you want people to bet money on you sticking around with your track record? I have no problem with donating to people who have a passion and provide evolutionary games. Look at dwarf fortress. It has one programmer but enough people donate to him every month he basically gets paid like its his job.

But the difference between him and you is people pay him to follow his passion and help bring his amazing dream into reality. What you are doing right now comes across as wanting money and offering to stick a couple of bandaids and a little fresh paint onto rpgwo.

I know this looks like a total bashing post man but honestly I only wrote it because I really hope that it will change your way of thinking. Either stick around and develop rpgwo because you love and believe in the game, and maybe eventually people will help fund your hard work and dream, or hand it over to someone else who will give it the attention and dedication this amazing game you made deserves. Not because they need a reason to stick around like money, but because they believe in the game itself.

Mickey, what this person said is exactly what I thought when reading your post. I instantly got that little thrill "oooh I could play RPGWO again! It's been ages!" but that was instantly followed by "But how long will it last this time?"
If you're serious about this venture, I'm ready to help back you, but like others, I want to see some longevity and I want you to stick around. This game is brilliant and it's yours. You got this. :)

Offline Generic Black Guy

Defense: 89
    Attack Member
  • in it for the lolz
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 26
    Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 07:23:02 pm »
mickey, i was a hard core rpgwo lover. remember back on horizon? fun times. but look, track record aside. there are no decent servers anymore. v2 is about played out. v1 is a tad lackluster and anything else is just fluff until boredom sets in. I would pay 20 bucks to see you get going on this, but as stated before, man your flakier than a pie crust. look put up or shut up and then force us to stop belly aching and acknowledge your vision. because until a server lasts longer than a few months, rpgwo will always remain a tide me over until the next big game comes along. hell id put up 1k to see you gather a team and make me eat my words. but sadly i feel my savings are pretty safe.
"Where ever white people go, you damn sure know we will follow."
Black Motto

Offline Naed

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 07:07:51 am »
I've been playing rpgwo since the first world, since it was a single sector, all you could kill where sheep and other players, and magic was just getting implemented.
I love this game.

With only one person on the project, it’s easy for the project to get left in the dust, no, inevitable.

Games like Minecraft and Rust have aimed to mimic the magic that is RPGWO, but they’ve all failed (for me at least), rpgwo kept me enthralled in it for many years, and like many others the mere thought of playing this outdated 2d game sounds amazing! I can hear the first revive spell I cast. My first death animation as I die in the sewers due to fatigue. The thrill of getting of Newbie Island and being thrust into the PvP world that awaits.

I am a database developer now in part because of my young attempts to recreate rpgwo, getting me started in software development. I would be happy to casually assist in development, and pay for playing a persistent game at the same time.

If an rpgwo world is not up for at least a year, I would likely not waste my time. That being said, a world the annual resets, or maybe bi-annually with a leaderboard, recording my place in history for all time is also high on my want list.

A note on subscriptions, I don’t believe they work for games any longer. A free to play game is cruitial as there are so many awesome ones out there. Selling vanity items (think dota 2 or lol), renting additional plots for 1$/mo to max 5 additional seem more likely to get people’s attention, and money. Also making it easy to give you money is equally important, if I have to contact an admin to get my perks activated in today’s online world, something's fishy.

If you decide to go ahead, and want any support is setting up a world, coding, web development or database development, please ask, I would be excited to assist when I am not at work, and rare occasions when I am.

Dean (Chaotic-Magi, Naed)

Look forward to reading more rants from old timers!

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 11:43:57 am »
I appreciate all the feedback, good, bad and ugly, um kay.

The success of RPGWO happened because of 2 things:
- my hard work and crazy ideas
- players that love it

I put tons of work into this game but it would not have happened if no body played it. It would have fizzled out like many of the game projects I have seen over my years... including some of mine too :)

That is why I am seeking the commitment/approval of players first before I do anything otherwise... it will fail.

So, let's take a month to talk about what to do. Please post/comment on what V3 should be in the RPGWO V3 board.

About the money issue... not gonna do subscriptions. It would just be a 1 time donation like perks was in the old days. Implementing an auto payment system would prohibit me from releasing the server3.exe, I am thinking. Plus fraud becomes an issue and others stealing your name but... hmm, well, I may be able to do it. I could keep a database and a seperate program that server3.exe would check with but everything can be hacked so that why I always did perks manually. We'll see.

Offline Saint

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 02:15:40 pm »
My earlier post was pretty harsh on you Mickey but if you're serious about starting back production on rpgwo I stand behind you 100%. I always believed that rpgwo fell just short of having what it takes to have hundreds of players and not just 10. I wish you the best of luck.

Offline chukklez

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 09:13:17 am »
Man, I just seen this, I was like, ok, I have to log in, and reply. Honestly, RPGWorld online was the best, Loved the old school graphics, and enjoyed the game play, it was awsome, had a set group I played with.
Saddly, when you brought out RPGworld for facebook... Sorry, In my eyes, you where just trying to join the ban wagon and upgrade graphics and all, but it FLOPPED. I tried it just 1 and never thought about going back to it. Sorta like the creators of the nintendo E.T. Game, and reason why there is not a remake of that. Now, if you bring back the ORIGINAL rpgworld online, update the coding, add some features and what not, not a complete overhaul, Maybe some updated craphics as in colors and such. Or new plants, trees, wood, tools and all. I would pay for that! I know at;least 6 people that would come back to the original game.

Offline Mongo

Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 10:06:34 am »
    Things I would like to see in V3

1. Screen / Interface Changes
    • Allow users to hide the interface so it's not always on the screen
    • Allow users to re-size the screen, scaling the graphics
    • Finish the "Guild" tab

2. "Party" feature
    • Loot sharing on monster drops (Full Loot / Turn based)
    • XP sharing in the party might be tricky, seems easy to exploit. Maybe restricted to monster kills only?
    • Player level cannot be beyond -/+ 5 levels of the leader
    • Can only join a party when close to another player
    • Party members show up on the map

3. Improved support for music/ambiance
    • I know actual music would need to be found but the world is just far too silent, and the cricket loop doesn't really cut it anymore

Other thoughts, not necessarily sure they should be added / would be wanted

4)
  • Smooth animation when moving between spaces.
  • Improved /image 0 choices on character creation, facing left/up/right images (or possibly even all 8 directions) to depict player direction
  • Improved FPS on animations? Maybe even re-worked animations entirely to allow for improved effects
  • Possibility for the item in the "Clothes" armor spot to show a visual OVER the armor, such as a cloak worn over armor

Anyways, I could go on all day with stuff but I'll keep it simple.[/list]
Shoop!

Offline Naed

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2015, 10:13:59 am »
I strongly agree with Mongo's interface change suggestions.

Party:
Xp should only be shared on screen. Or at the least in sector.
To avoid exploits during pvp, the party should share a PK status.
-/+ 5 levels sounds great for xp sharing.

Ambiance:
Please do not get rid of the cricket, rpgwo would not be the same without it. Though by all means, random audio based on creatures or objects sounds awesome.

Offline Mongo

Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2015, 12:41:01 pm »
Ambiance:
Please do not get rid of the cricket, rpgwo would not be the same without it. Though by all means, random audio based on creatures or objects sounds awesome.

Maybe a re-vamped cricket sound then? Possibly something more than a .5 second wav looping over and over?
Shoop!