Author Topic: I miss RPGWO  (Read 7740 times)

Offline Someguy

I miss RPGWO
« on: March 03, 2015, 06:54:23 pm »
Got brought back via http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/2xskb7/what_video_game_have_you_spent_the_most_time/

I see my screenshots are still on rpgwo.com :)

So, what's new here?

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
Re: I miss RPGWO
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 07:46:31 pm »
So, what's new here?
Mickey rage quit, killed the connect.ini, and there is basicly no more RPGWO at this point...we're hoping someone will open a server soon.
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline jfredett

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 11:12:30 pm »
Is that... the Someguy? (Who I have only quite vague recollection of admist the now 10 or more year gap since I last heard that name?)

The same post made me come here, and surely surely. Someone else on the internet came too.

Offline hazze

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 11:15:30 pm »
@Greatest, do you think it would be a vaguely-acceptable idea to start a mostly empty server with a couple quests, rerandomized plants and runes?

There doesn't seem to be really anything going on right now and what I want to do with a full new server will take at least a month or two, and some people have contacted asking when it will be up ..

Offline Mongo

• Attack: 91
    Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

• Total Badges: 29
    Sixth year Anniversary 10 Poll Votes Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 09:42:38 am »
I know you asked Greatest, but I'll put in my 2c as well.

No.

I think starting a mostly empty server for the sake of just having one up is worse than nothing running at all. People are coming back, looking to join in to a server but if that server is just an empty shell, the experience will be tainted and The Return will have been wasted.

We should get a small group of people (3-5) together to work on a server. I spend half my day at work sitting behind a desk doing absolutely nothing. I could spend a considerable amount of time with ini's, adding new spells and skills, reorganizing old ones, making some fresh content. But I don't wanna be the only one working on it and I doubt anyone else wants to be either.

If we could get a group together, get some google docs going with ideas and edits, maybe have a server going where it's not just a 100x100 town and 20 empty sectors (I would love to work on the map as well, creating areas for the players to explore).. every server that comes up doesn't have to be a stale repeat of the same server we've seen for 10 years.

Ok.. well, that's my 10c. I went overboard.
Shoop!

Offline hazze

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 10:46:34 am »
Mongo, check PM

Offline Kaios

• Attack: 69
    Defense: 58
    Attack Member
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 44
    50 Poll Votes 10 Poll Votes Invisible
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 03:49:33 pm »
I'm in agreement with Mongo, it's well worth the effort to put a bit of time in to a server before opening it up rather than release an empty server earlier.

Like he said, there's no reason it has to be a repeat of every other version and in fact it really should not be if you want the best chance at getting a decently sized player-base. Take Roarion's Future server that he is working on as an example. It should still include the basic building blocks that have made RPGWO a game enjoyed for its sandbox features rather than graphics but he has also put a considerable amount of effort in giving it a make-over which is important as well in my opinion.

This is just an assumption of course but I believe that most older players would like to return to a server that LOOKS new but FEELS the same. Hopefully what I'm getting at is understood.
(Insert witty signature here)

Offline jfredett

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 11:47:12 pm »
I spent a little time trying to get the 1.15 server working (getting as far as having the server running and the autoupdater work, but fail after updating because of some cmdAgree form event not being wired up or something). I miss playing this game, even after all this time w/ the minecrafts and the so on -- nothing quite matched the sandbox I played in first. Ah well, maybe it's not meant to be.

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 11:10:39 am »
Mickey rage quit, killed the connect.ini, and there is basicly no more RPGWO at this point...we're hoping someone will open a server soon.

Really? I rage quit? I feel so.... UT like :)  The last year has been very challenging in my real life so I am not surprised I cut myself off from RPGWO.

After my ISP screwed up rpgwo.com, the updater broke. I have been meaning to write a new one in C# and release the code for it too. I just have been busy with my current game project but now am taking a break and will work on the updater for everyone.

I am also willing to work on a new server with others. I do NOT want the lead admin role. I will help edit .ini and build the world under the direction of some other lead admin plus they will need to figure out a host for it.

And I miss RPGWO too!  :'(
And yes... I am even willing to redo/undo the V2 crucible/mold changes!!!
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 11:45:08 am »

Really? I rage quit? I feel so.... UT like :) 
;D it worked!  I got Mickey to come back!  welcome back!
And I miss RPGWO too!  :'(
And yes... I am even willing to redo/undo the V2 crucible/mold changes!!!
I'm happy now :D

@Greatest, do you think it would be a vaguely-acceptable idea to start a mostly empty server with a couple quests, rerandomized plants and runes?
I think Mongo and Kaios answered that pretty well so: what they said!  I don't want an empty world, but I do want to play...and I'm not rushing anyone.  I remember what it was like writing .ini's for my server and still giving up because rewriting magic was frustrating.
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 01:43:57 pm »
Oh crap, just got old updater to work. The .ini mime type was un-done on my website. I just re-added the .zlib and now it seems to be ok.
Let me know.

No reason to make a new updater now.

Offline Gestation

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 01:17:01 pm »
Hey Someguy, been a while!(Tilur) Roaming old boards definitely brings back memories. Are you still enjoying free healthcare in Canadaland?
PYR8 Tilur

Offline Naed

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 07:19:15 am »
Tilur, holy crap, someguy, the little rabbit, this is crazy, these people from my childhood are popping up on forums.

Chaotic Magi(mage) here, might have also been Uruk-hai (crossbow).

I had a few names over the years.

Naed(defense buff modeled after Tilur) was likely one as well.

I would be excited to host a world, though I have never done this before. Newbie Island is a critical expect imo, coupled with an open PvP world with pve questing zones. And maybe and pve trade hub.

Man I love this game.

Offline Gizza

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 01:37:29 am »
I can't believe its still running, might have to jump on for a bit

Offline Void

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 07:56:01 pm »
i havent been around in a long time since phobos lol..  Well i played shadow too.  Void is here

Offline Atrus

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2015, 06:56:29 pm »
Hey Someguy. :o

Oh, hey everyone else too.

Offline Mystic

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2015, 10:03:48 pm »
Damn there's a name I haven't seen in awhile.

Offline Auron

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2015, 09:58:51 pm »
Nice to see everything still running.

Offline StormyNight

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2015, 07:28:08 pm »
Hi old people.

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2015, 11:24:59 pm »
Always brings a smile to my face hearing from an old veteran or 2.