Author Topic: indieDB.com  (Read 23759 times)

Offline Cky

Re: indieDB.com
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2014, 07:50:10 pm »
i bet mick lost all his sources files ages ago. wouldnt that be tigered up haha
1st ST -lvl 34 BlackMage ~ Retired

2nd ST-lvl 36 Thrower ~ Retired

2nd ST-lvl 24 Bow ~ Retired

2nd ST-lvl 47 Thrower ~ Retired

Nulona-lvl 28 Thrower ~ Quit

Calamity-lvl 46 Macer ~ Active

Offline Gestation

Re: indieDB.comuests
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2014, 05:48:47 am »
Why always a leveling race that never ends? Plenty of mmos have a ceiling, and I imagine one could be made. Limit a new public server for indie to 30 and tailor lots of middle and end game stuff to suit that benchmark. Would be a limit to how many trade skills fighters can get and if you completely eliminate all skill gains at 30 youll have players focusing all efforts on defense or stealth or whatever skill suite they want until they get there. Some traders may be only ones available to make some equipment.  Later you could raise the max to suit new quests or just let people grind again.

Edit: i suppose like perks you could just limit all gains to an arbitrary number like 400, or formula it out on say melee def + x (total dex + quick/3 + 300) so (280 + 240)/3 173 + 300 = 473
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 05:57:24 am by Gestation »
PYR8 Tilur

Offline Gimpy

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2014, 10:05:30 am »
Becouse rpgwo isent a game for ceilings friend, and its not a race, its just simple players on v2 get stuck at 60 rather it takes them 2 months or 2 years..

Offline mechanical keyboard enthusiast

• Attack: 3682
    Defense: 2735
    Attack Member
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 25
    Badges: (View All)
    Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
Re: indieDB.comuests
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2014, 10:18:27 am »
Why always a leveling race that never ends? Plenty of mmos have a ceiling, and I imagine one could be made. Limit a new public server for indie to 30 and tailor lots of middle and end game stuff to suit that benchmark. Would be a limit to how many trade skills fighters can get and if you completely eliminate all skill gains at 30 youll have players focusing all efforts on defense or stealth or whatever skill suite they want until they get there. Some traders may be only ones available to make some equipment.  Later you could raise the max to suit new quests or just let people grind again.

Edit: i suppose like perks you could just limit all gains to an arbitrary number like 400, or formula it out on say melee def + x (total dex + quick/3 + 300) so (280 + 240)/3 173 + 300 = 473
This would actually be interesting, I'd like to see a hard skill point cap (not gains or 400, but as in number of skills trainable): it would force player interdependency and encourage social interactionsomething totally not lacking in this game... Complex economic game theory away!!!!!!11

Offline Deimos

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2014, 11:01:44 am »
I like the idea of posting it. Itll bring in new players and some will stick. Ive been gone a few years and am surprised how low the player base is. Both worlds have low numbers it seems.
Phobos: lvl 36 mage
Lunatik: lvl 56 mage
Shadow I: lvl 78 mage
Shadow II: lvl 84 mage
Pyramid: lvl 78 mage
Hex: lvl 54 mage
Hexed: lvl 84 priest/mage

Offline Deimos

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2014, 11:07:12 am »
why not have roar run it? he did a good job with hex from what i hear and hes not currently admining any worlds
Phobos: lvl 36 mage
Lunatik: lvl 56 mage
Shadow I: lvl 78 mage
Shadow II: lvl 84 mage
Pyramid: lvl 78 mage
Hex: lvl 54 mage
Hexed: lvl 84 priest/mage

Attack Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2014, 11:22:09 am »
why not have roar run it? he did a good job with hex from what i hear and hes not currently admining any worlds
She's working on a new one I think

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2014, 11:50:56 am »

Nope, I have a ga-zillion copies here and there.

Level/Skill limits don't work when you can just create multiple players to get you the skills your main player doesn't have. But this is something we and other ORPGs have debated for eons.

Level 60 is broke? As in hard to level past that? Well, that sounds more like a monster issue to me, like there are less/no higher up monsters that can feed a higher level player around that level.
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Attack Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2014, 11:58:32 am »

Nope, I have a ga-zillion copies here and there.

Level/Skill limits don't work when you can just create multiple players to get you the skills your main player doesn't have. But this is something we and other ORPGs have debated for eons.

Level 60 is broke? As in hard to level past that? Well, that sounds more like a monster issue to me, like there are less/no higher up monsters that can feed a higher level player around that level.

Enforcing the one player per person rule strictly (and one player per account), while setting an explicit skill point or amount of skills trained cap?

tbh I'd like to see a world where social interaction is required as opposed to tiny enclaves of people that just never do anything but talk wolf in allchat and get angry over racing to the next level

Offline Gestation

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2014, 12:54:41 pm »

I understand that some people could find a way around, and that's an issue we've had with people getting around MANY things in this game to take advantage. Considering you are going to make a newbie server there, LET people have as many different characters as they want, like on earlier versions. If someone makes a guy and spends then 10 hours grinding that guy to make his own potions instead of just buying them so be it. Not every player will want to do that, others will help each other out. Others will make a sword, a spear, a sword spear, and a goat thrower instead of a trader/brothel worker.

Leveling in general is just.. boring. The game gets quests, and I've seen lots of fun quests and had good experiences with them. Events are amazing fun and is a good thing to get a server of people excited and buzzing about it. Just the grind only leaves a mountain that you will never get to the top of. Just about every time I have quit a server it was when leveling was just too boring and populations dwindled from lack of interest, even when I have been top level. Having some type of limit will at least give PVE and PVP elements more interaction with the player base, as killing level 30's at 60 was never much of an enjoyment of mine. But in the end, players interacting with players rather than just monsters is going to be better for a game. If they want to play by themselves make a single player version and let them be.
PYR8 Tilur

Attack Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2014, 01:06:48 pm »
Please tell me more about where I can grind my skills as a brothel worker in rpgwo I am interested and would like to subscribe to your newsletter

Offline Roarion

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2014, 02:21:26 pm »

I'm a man.
Asylum - lvl 33 Thrower
Pyramid - lvl 40 Scythe
Dementia - lvl 69 Spear
Nexus V2 - lvl 61 Stealth
Rebirth - lvl 72 Bow
Ganymede - lvl 56 Mage
Hex - lvl 1000 Admin
Future - lvl 1000 Admin
Retired - Unless V6 pulls a miracle

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2014, 02:39:07 pm »

I'm a man.

I smited thouest for that!
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Roarion

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2014, 03:57:17 pm »

I'm a man.

I smited thouest for that!

Prepare to have those 36 (now 35) karma points taken away!!!
Asylum - lvl 33 Thrower
Pyramid - lvl 40 Scythe
Dementia - lvl 69 Spear
Nexus V2 - lvl 61 Stealth
Rebirth - lvl 72 Bow
Ganymede - lvl 56 Mage
Hex - lvl 1000 Admin
Future - lvl 1000 Admin
Retired - Unless V6 pulls a miracle

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2014, 07:58:33 pm »
I understand that some people could find a way around, and that's an issue we've had with people getting around MANY things in this game to take advantage. Considering you are going to make a newbie server there, LET people have as many different characters as they want, like on earlier versions. If someone makes a guy and spends then 10 hours grinding that guy to make his own potions instead of just buying them so be it. Not every player will want to do that, others will help each other out. Others will make a sword, a spear, a sword spear, and a goat thrower instead of a trader/brothel worker.
what fun would that be?  if you don't want to any interaction with other people play a single player game.  I always play a full trader, and if everyone else who plays as a fighter gets to have a dozen extra chars to craft how am I going to take all their money?  game economy is something you have to look at when running a game.  if the economy doesn't work the game doesn't work!

also you won't need to grind 10 hours to make potions.  if you start a potion only char, you'll be making minors from the start and use those to make majors within 20 minutes(that doesn't include time it takes to find all seeds since that isn't grinding, just walking around)
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Gestation

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2014, 05:51:25 am »
WE all know how to make potions, armor etc. New players don't. LET THEM be the ones that decide to play by themselves(and by all rights, let them play a single play version for that!, I agree there). But will they want to see what all they can do, experience learning those skills or trading other players that are learning? Maybe. Its a newbie server we're talking about after all right? I'm sure you can make tons off of a bunch of people that don't know better if that's what you want, and everyone can draw rainbows.
PYR8 Tilur

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2014, 06:52:26 am »
I think you missed the whole point of my post: if everyone can make multiple characters it ruins the game economy.  if the game economy is bad the game doesn't last.  if you want the way old servers work with a Nooby Island where you can have multis but only send 1 to main that is fine, but allowing multiple real characters breaks the economy and ruins the game even for the new players.

as to your last post: single player online games suck...I never got the point of playing those.  if you're online you play/compete with others.  it isn't a newbie server, but a newbie friendly server.  that means everyone can play it, but it will have some type of setup to help new players get familiar with the game(nooby island/practice area).  honestly with the learning curve on some things in this game if you have a newbie only server half would quit the first hour!

Attack Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2014, 12:35:39 pm »
so new server thoughts/notes

* single character off tutorial island
* multiple characters on tutorial island
* economies!!!
* need to do something about npc traders so people don't empty them out in five
minutes with wolfty items
* pre-mainland: practice area / tutorial text traps, ask them to do some simple things? like use item on another item, then hand the result to npc to get a warp or something to next room
* some kind of pve/pvp separation -- maybe like half of the world / higher level areas are forced pk, kinda like runescape

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2014, 07:04:47 pm »
* pre-mainland: practice area / tutorial text traps, ask them to do some simple things? like use item on another item, then hand the result to npc to get a warp or something to next room
* some kind of pve/pvp separation -- maybe like half of the world / higher level areas are forced pk, kinda like runescape
agree on everything except these 2. 
1: that wouldn't work for fighters with no trade skills...though I do like the concept
2: wouldn't a pk altar work better?

Attack Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2014, 07:33:53 pm »
1. provide multiple paths probably, use roaches or rats or those practice target things, have them drop some unique token and you hand that in

2. some people might want to join specifically for pvp or something, i dunno. add some element of risk to higher level quests and exploring further out..?

unless the pk altar was just placed in town or smth, people might want to pvp long before a higher-level quest that provides access to an altar

any other ideas or thoughts?