Author Topic: indieDB.com  (Read 23757 times)

Offline Mickey Kudlo

indieDB.com
« on: May 05, 2014, 12:25:48 pm »
Gary wants to put RPGWO V1/V2 on indiedb.com
Not a bad idea but should I open up a normal V2 world first just in case?
I don't plan to mention V5 since it is different and not really very playable yet.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 01:09:27 pm by @@@Admin Jon »
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Jon The Great

Re: indieDB.com
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 01:08:18 pm »
I would so they would have something playable otherwise no point in having the exposure if no one can play.
Edit: didn't realize their are other playable worlds
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 02:08:31 pm by @@@Admin Jon »

Offline Vicious

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 01:17:33 pm »
I disagree, as much as I like Mickey considering taking an interest in v1/v2, for as however brief as it may be, there is already a working server up, and with the current rpgwo population being as small as it is, opening another server would just make each server look less populated than they already do, and would probably cause any new players to rapidly lose interest in the game thinking it's dead.
Lv. 48 Sword - ST2 [R]
Lv. 52 Dagger - 2nd Shadow [R]
Lv. 48 Mace - Ataxia [R]
Lv. 53 Mage/Xbow - Nexus V2 [R]
Lv. 64 Bower - Stormy Coast [R]
Lv. 108 Axer - Rebirth [R]
Lv. 64 Mage - Calamity [R]
Lv. 62 Mage - Fancy Lad [R]
Lv. 68 Bower - Hex [R]
LV. 77 Mage - Hex [R]

Who counts Damon?

Offline mechanical keyboard enthusiast

• Attack: 3682
    Defense: 2735
    Attack Member
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 25
    Badges: (View All)
    Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 01:45:27 pm »
I disagree, as much as I like Mickey considering taking an interest in v1/v2, for as however brief as it may be, there is already a working server up, and with the current rpgwo population being as small as it is, opening another server would just make each server look less populated than they already do, and would probably cause any new players to rapidly lose interest in the game thinking it's dead.

or go on the wrong server and get spawn killed

Offline Kaios

• Attack: 69
    Defense: 58
    Attack Member
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 44
    50 Poll Votes 10 Poll Votes Invisible
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 01:53:50 pm »
There's two servers up currently; One that is V2, safe PK and non-stealing and the other is V1, PK and stealing. I don't think opening another world that is just Fantasy non-PK or something would be very beneficial at this time. One of them would have to close first.

I'd just make sure to mention that the developer (you) is not running a server at this time and the servers that are currently running are created and ran by players themselves. (Might also be important to mention perks and that most likely a player ran server should not be charging for them.)

Anyways, that's my suggestion. Honestly though I will just say that the current servers, a not so fleshed out V1 forced PK and stealing world and a corrupted and terribly ran fantasy world may not be the best first impressions.
(Insert witty signature here)

Attack Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 02:04:01 pm »
- When bringing in completely new populations too, I think something like a small tutorial island with text traps and NPCs that say something useful would help [along with a warp stone out for returning players] for things like "for land, xxx. for mule, yyy" and a few less obvious things could also be explained like stance/profile.

- Both of the servers out right now assuming you already know how to play, and drop you into the world immediately.

- The help tab is about a decade out of date, some commands don't work / have changed in v2, has some world-specific information that no longer applies, also perks.

- Curb player harassment, spawn killing if PK, etc.

Offline Vicious

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 02:07:35 pm »
That's a valid point, there should probably be a standard newb friend world out to greet the new players, however it'd be important for it to have an active admin, who's not corrupt or temperamental, something that would be incredibly hard to find with the current population we have, Mickey couldn't really do it since he's busy with v5.
Lv. 48 Sword - ST2 [R]
Lv. 52 Dagger - 2nd Shadow [R]
Lv. 48 Mace - Ataxia [R]
Lv. 53 Mage/Xbow - Nexus V2 [R]
Lv. 64 Bower - Stormy Coast [R]
Lv. 108 Axer - Rebirth [R]
Lv. 64 Mage - Calamity [R]
Lv. 62 Mage - Fancy Lad [R]
Lv. 68 Bower - Hex [R]
LV. 77 Mage - Hex [R]

Who counts Damon?

Attack Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 02:10:55 pm »
That's a valid point, there should probably be a standard newb friend world out to greet the new players, however it'd be important for it to have an active admin, who's not corrupt or temperamental, something that would be incredibly hard to find with the current population we have, Mickey couldn't really do it since he's busy with v5.

This could maybe be a bit of a compromise, where mickey is on once a day for a bit, but have a few moderators from the standard community (like roarion or whoever else [gary]?) handle general assistance and chat.

Having only player run servers wouldn't be the best thing, especially since they would end up being the public face for the game, and end up with bitchy PR incidents from new players if things happen

Offline Kaios

• Attack: 69
    Defense: 58
    Attack Member
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 44
    50 Poll Votes 10 Poll Votes Invisible
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 02:25:52 pm »
Having only player run servers wouldn't be the best thing, especially since they would end up being the public face for the game, and end up with bitchy PR incidents from new players if things happen

I can understand that. Regardless of anyone's feelings towards either of the current servers, I agree that neither of them are well suited for introducing new players to the game.

Shadow is forced PK and stealing and is geared more towards veteran players.

Hexed, although labelled as "newb friendly" has already been running for a few months now and has players around level 80 or higher. Personally I don't think any new players is going to enjoy coming in to a server that's already been dominated like that. I feel like a new player who enters a world and is instantly greeted by high level players (or the admin) willing to give them all the stuff they ask for they tend to miss out on a lot of the basics you learn as a beginner. You also mentioned the tutorial island which it lacks as well.

My final point being, although I agree a new server that is more new player friendly is a necessity, you really should only have TWO SERVERS MAX running at one time.
(Insert witty signature here)

Attack Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 02:33:35 pm »

Well, the alternative could be shipping a different connect file to pull (with a large call to action PLAY NOW button on rpgwo site) for indiedb/new players?

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 02:58:26 pm »
I am willing to make a newbie/tutorial world that is like 1000x1000 complete with some tutorial stuff and handful of quests and an advanced area but would ppl invest the time in a player that has a limited world?

And I would need Jon to gimme a server host back... please :)

If it were to get flooded with players, I may even be willing to ... code VB6... if I can get my XP machine to start.

Offline Jon The Great

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 03:03:05 pm »
I can setup a host not sure if I can bring one back though.
VB6! I miss those days.

Mickey I still use Windows XP but inside of Windows seven using the windows xp mode which is built into professional version at least. works great when I need to fire up a vb6 project or quick code.

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 03:35:46 pm »
I found a copy of Phantasy world, pre-opening that I can use. I would just add a floating 200x200 map for a tutorial park.

Attack Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 03:50:28 pm »
Can you at least mix the runes and plants up a little so it's not the exact same as before?

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 09:03:19 pm »
I found a copy of Phantasy world, pre-opening that I can use. I would just add a floating 200x200 map for a tutorial park.
can you also get rid of some of the molds?  I know you like that style but maybe limit it to tool/weapon/armor instead of having 1 for each weapon skill and 4 for armor.
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Cky

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 10:14:25 pm »
mickey why dont u just get together with the current admins and update the client for them? wouldnt that be more beneficial, I can say honestly most of the current players would love to see you work back on v2. dont let your game die man it has so much potential update the old school stuff everyone loves. I would say release a v1 source but i know that will never happen your current playerbase thats been around for years are still playing something that hasn't had a client update in over 6-7 years? keep it going man dont let it die we love what you made and the players who made the worlds.
1st ST -lvl 34 BlackMage ~ Retired

2nd ST-lvl 36 Thrower ~ Retired

2nd ST-lvl 24 Bow ~ Retired

2nd ST-lvl 47 Thrower ~ Retired

Nulona-lvl 28 Thrower ~ Quit

Calamity-lvl 46 Macer ~ Active

Attack Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2014, 10:44:28 pm »
mickey why dont u just get together with the current admins and update the client for them? wouldnt that be more beneficial
It doesn't fix a lot of large issues, like players that are not officially staff being the public face of the game. Ther ewould still be a need of an official world..

[also @whoever runs the forum, http://i.imgur.com/B5yHXAo.png - wot]

Offline Cky

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2014, 11:04:44 pm »
if anything mick should work with gary he's ran one of the longest worlds period. un-corrupt and doesnt dumb down the game to make it stupid easy. yes there should be another official world but in the same respect there is 2 open and its just going to split player base like vicious said which isnt good. these two need to work together period point blank.
as an admin and a host gary/eddie has no complaints from me. quit fighting it mick WORK WITH HIM
1st ST -lvl 34 BlackMage ~ Retired

2nd ST-lvl 36 Thrower ~ Retired

2nd ST-lvl 24 Bow ~ Retired

2nd ST-lvl 47 Thrower ~ Retired

Nulona-lvl 28 Thrower ~ Quit

Calamity-lvl 46 Macer ~ Active

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2014, 10:56:57 am »
This isn't about making the veterans happy... it is about presenting an acceptable, newbie experience for a possible large influx of new players. From what I hear, the current worlds lack this.

Yeah, um, Gary was the one that brought this up, so I am already working with him. Well, I found indiedb.com and mentioned it to him and it got him all hard and stuff.

And RPGWO will never die... it will always live in our hearts  :-*

Plus indiedb.com will probably reject it cuz you people gave me copyrighted material to add years ago.

Offline Gimpy

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2014, 06:24:37 pm »
the real trueth is, anything you open thats v2 will be broken becouse once again i told you exp is broken on v2 unless you put in the world to fix it, players will get around 50-55 some will hit 60 and then the server will die, just like fancy lad and many others befor it