Author Topic: V5 Modern  (Read 5035 times)

Offline Mickey Kudlo

V5 Modern
« on: March 20, 2014, 04:07:06 pm »
Yeah, yeah, I change mind mind often but with no one playing V5, except me (I have a level 20), I am gonna whatever.

For months now I have been trying to figuring out if I should stay with a Fantasy theme or go Modern.
Not only is the content different, the basic world concept is very different.
- For Fantasy, I wanted a blank canvas for players/npcs to build up, nothing is pre-built or very little is. A tradeskill persons dream!
- A Modern world, has tons and tons of pre-built crap, an admins nightmare to make, really. Scavaging being the main resource gathering activity.

So, I finally pulled the trigger and am gonna do a modern world. Been working on it all March.
Map creation has been my focus since I want the code to create as much of the initial map as possible.
Like roads and building placement. I made an editor to make buildings that the server imports and places.
The terrains are no longer Plains, Forest, Desert, etc. They are now Urban, Suburban, Rural and Wilderness.
Not gonna be a whole lotta elevation or water. Maybe in wilderness areas or drainage ditches or parks.

Here is my story for the modern world:
- Vorth showed up in orbit and dropped a nano-weapon on Earth
- All living things were affected to some degree, fell asleep and woke up changed
 - some humans died but the nano-weapon reanimated them (typical zombie)
 - some humans mutated but lost humanity (like 'I Am Legend' mutants)
 - some humans mutated but stayed human (like X-Men) these are NPCs and Players
 - animals also mutated to some degree, like giant rats, fanged cats, menacing crows, etc
- Vorth also on planet, they are like in the movie Predator, they transformed the Earth as a playground to hunt and blow things up
- Vorth will probably add other crap to Earth like robots and other organic creatures, plus crap they drop when killed

At first it largely a scavenger world then trade skills like farming, mining, masonry, carpentry would be important.
Trying to figure out how a pure trade skill person could survive but who knows how the world will turn out at this point.
Resource gathering, like mining, would be more about replacing usable items, like ammo or wood for a fire or barrier.
You could mine minerals to make gunpowder, plus lead. Not sure players will be able to actually make a firearm, since
it really is a complicated process.

NPC and players would get mutant powers and maybe even get a random one every 5 levels. They would mostly be a skill that
used up "mental" power like mana. You could turn it on and off with a button.
Mutant Powers:
- Attribute boost like +50 Strength or +50 Intel, etc, even a one time mega bump to life/stam (20 to 40 points)
- Fast Heal (life, stamina, etc)
- night vision (never dark), far vision, infrared vision (stealth ignored), mental vision (can see ppl anywhere)
- mutant talk, disguise (can walk among them)
- zombie disguise (can walk among them)
- item move distance, usage at distances (cuz you can move tool to it), trigger items at a distance (traps, doors, etc)
- mental attacks (illusion, noise, blind, stun, confuse, etc)
- elemental resistance (fire, cold, etc)
- elemental manipulation
- water breath (gills)
- iron skin (armor)
- as we come up with them

Terrains:
- Urban: high monster count, high loot, a lot of buildings/roads, sewers under all roads
- Suburban: medium monster count, medium loot, medium buildings/roads, sewers under all roads
- Rural: low monster/loot counts, mostly farms/ranches
- Wilderness: minimal monster/loot, mostly forest, wild animals, some roads and buildings, lakes

Buildings: (I have a huge long list but here is some general names)
- residential
 - house, apartment, condo, garage
- retail
 - market, diner, entertainment (theater), gas
- commercial
 - office, medical
- industrial
 - warehouse, manufacturing, utilities
- government
 - parks, city hall, police, fire, miltary

The Fantasy world is still up and running until I get enough to start up a new modern world.
Probably another month before that happens.

You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Sacrifice

Re: V5 Modern
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 07:47:20 pm »
I can't get the update server to work on my computer for some reason, if you could create a zip/rar or something with the files I would play.

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 09:22:24 pm »
would we get to choose the start 'mutant' powers or would they be random on character creation?
if all weapons are scavenged will we be able to make items for upgrades?(scopes, laser sights, flash supressors)
will the type of building you scavenge make a difference in what you get?(ie only get medical stuff scavenging at hospitals)

I had a laugh reading some of yours and thought up some mutant powers that might also be fun:
3rd arm(equip an extra weapon)
4 arms(4 weapon slots)
mole man(mining bonus sight penalty)
little bit zombie(can eat human flesh for temp bonuses)
centaur/4legged(run = 2X quickness instead of 1X)
radiated(emit a green glow so you never need a light source and does light poison damage to players/monsters standing too close to you)
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Sacrifice

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 02:34:34 am »
Radiated sounds a little Op but other than that sounds great

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 09:00:48 am »
Radiated sounds a little Op but other than that sounds great
after reading it again yea it does...maybe it needs something to take it down a notch(can't wear armor?)

Offline Sacrifice

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 02:20:48 pm »
Can't wear heavier armor or maybe more damage recieved? I don't know, maybe 2x or 4x poison damage to themself if they get hit with it or something, or maybe they require to eat twice as much food.

Offline Sacrifice

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 02:21:36 pm »
the 3rd arm and 4 arms sounds a little OP without some sort of counter balance like lowering accuracy or something.

Offline Sacrifice

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 02:22:48 pm »
Does running use stamina in V5? Or is there a sprint or something?

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 11:36:17 am »
I can't get the update server to work on my computer for some reason, if you could create a zip/rar or something with the files I would play.

http://rpgwo.com/download/rpgwo5full.zip

Are you running Windows 8.1? cuz it has issues with that version I need to fix still.

Also, the launcher uses .Net, so you may need to install that from Microsoft.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 11:40:57 am by Mickey Kudlo »

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 12:17:02 pm »
Radiated could be balanced by the fact that you can't sneak cuz of the glow ... unless you cover up. Plus it could slow down regen rates if it has poison effect but then it would also have a resist poison effect maybe... bleh, it is a can of worms, heh.

Multi arms is good but I see it more like being able to hold a weapon, a shield and a tool and ammo at the same time or being able to lift large burden things like... a couch!

I had the idea of an arming spot for melee weapon and one for ranged weapon and it would auto-switch depending on range of target or how you setup your player. You can't use a pistol as a melee weapon (or most firearms I think) else you risk damage to it. But that is probably only applicable to non-military grade firearms. I am sure a military grade M-16, with a bayonet on it, would be just fine smacking things up.

Mole Man mutation sounds like you would have claws or extended, hard nails for digging without a tool plus the lighter it is, the less far you can see. Instead of a black fade, it would be a white fade, maybe.

Does running use stamina in V5? Or is there a sprint or something?
Run mode does use stamina, depending on your run skill. I just coded flat, man made surfaces like concrete/asphalt/carpet that boost run skill by 20. This isn't in the fantasy world currently.

I got basic zombies added in over the weekend. Plus doing some color changes to the GUI. I made them redish but I think it needs to be toned down some.

Offline jace

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 03:44:03 am »
I just was flying past and saw this sounds great got the client on the download now love modern servers and the story sounds great.

Offline Mongo

• Attack: 91
    Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

• Total Badges: 29
    Sixth year Anniversary 10 Poll Votes Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 09:38:41 am »
Yeah, yeah, I change mind mind often but with no one playing V5, except me (I have a level 20), I am gonna whatever.

Yeah, logged in a few times but I felt like I was just fumbling around in an empty world.

- A Modern world, has tons and tons of pre-built crap, an admins nightmare to make, really. Scavaging being the main resource gathering activity.

I love map editing. Setting up areas, triggering events, all that jazz. If you wanna outsource some of that "nightmare", I'd be more than happy to help.

Been working on it all March.
Map creation has been my focus since I want the code to create as much of the initial map as possible.

Personally, I think it would be best to have quite a few areas that are not randomly generated. Gives the world some meaning rather than just roaming through something an algorithm churned out.

Trying to figure out how a pure trade skill person could survive but who knows how the world will turn out at this point.

If I imagine the scenario, I think pure tradeskill people would need to hire some kind of protection. Possibly NPC mercenaries?

NPC and players would get mutant powers and maybe even get a random one every 5 levels.

I kinda like the idea of getting random powers, but kinda not. Getting random powers prevents people from just using what is thought of as the "best". However, it also means people might get powers that aren't very useful or are underpowered. Making people feel like they need to re-roll because the game stuck them with a useless power isn't really ideal. But I do like random.

Maybe some way you could re-random one of these powers? Once a week you can stick your head in a tub of radioactive goo and randomize a power or something, haha. I don't know. But something where a player isn't stuck with a power they really don't want because the game gave it to them.

The alternative is to downplay the effectiveness of powers. If they are just small bonuses/modifications, then a player might not care as much if they got one that wasn't ideal.

I really like the idea of players having unique (or somewhat unique) abilities by randomly giving them one from a large list. Think it's just a matter of finding an accommodating implementation.

Shoop!

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 01:37:33 pm »
Here is a screen shot. I changed the GUI from red to blue plus you can see a nice urban environment with roads, houses (20x20) and apartments(10x10).

Offline Mongo

• Attack: 91
    Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

• Total Badges: 29
    Sixth year Anniversary 10 Poll Votes Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 03:39:25 pm »
That interface seems .. really invasive. Anything against using a more minimalistic approach?
Shoop!

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 04:01:03 pm »
That interface seems .. really invasive. Anything against using a more minimalistic approach?

You can close it and get the basics. Not sure how much you played the current V5 fantasy version.

But yeah, I am open to reducing it down a lot if you can give more specifics or point me to a game that has an interface you like. Keep in mind, this gonna be played on phone/tablets too, but I guess I can have 2 GUI styles.

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2014, 04:12:03 pm »
lol the minimap seems way too detailed...

I agree with Mongo(was 1 of the things that seemed weird when playing the current V5), but I have no clue what would work better.  maybe an item bar at the bottom of the screen(sort of like a hotkey bar) because when you're mining you pretty much have to keep the bag open to use your pick/shovel. 

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 03:53:46 pm »
lol the minimap seems way too detailed...

The client looks at the center pixel of a sprite for the color to use. It turned out to be pretty detailed looking. That version of the map generator still needed tweeking but the red is 20x20 houses and the purple is 10x10 apartments.

I agree with Mongo(was 1 of the things that seemed weird when playing the current V5), but I have no clue what would work better.  maybe an item bar at the bottom of the screen(sort of like a hotkey bar) because when you're mining you pretty much have to keep the bag open to use your pick/shovel. 

If you can find me a game that does something you like then point me to it, please.

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2014, 04:36:48 pm »
If you can find me a game that does something you like then point me to it, please.
well most games have tools being used in an equipment slot...I think I'd prefer that to having to select it in inventory each time(sort of like you'd automine while you have a pick equipped?).  the only game I can really think of that offers a similar crafting system that has a design close to what I'm suggesting would be Illarion, but it is a pretty crappy game.  the crafting system there is pretty detailed though, you have to hold the tool in your hand to use it...and they have workstations for each craft type(which could be a good addition to RPGWO).

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2014, 11:51:43 am »
Yeah, I will add a tool slot for sure so it is nice and clear plus it will clean up auto-use so it isn't just on items that block but any item in your path that the tool will work on, like Farmer's Scythe on Ripe Wheat, since wheat doesn't block like a tree.

In a modern world, I can see work benches being the normal thing. Would have different benches for different skills like Carpentry, artist, electronics, computer, gunsmith, welding, mechanic, etc. It would start off with an empty bench then you collect the tools and supplies needed to make it an official <work> bench. Or it just a generic bench with whatever tools and supplies you put into it get used for whatever activity you do.

There will be other, non-movable "work-benches" like large, heavy machines, stampers, presses, etc, that would be used like a work bench.

I got sewers added, basically under all the roads, full of rats. Been doing a lot of drawing for content in buildings: shelves, counters, chairs, table, desk, etc. Drew door and window images for walls. Got about 5 wall types: concrete, concrete brick, clay brick, wood and sewer concrete. Still want to add painted wood walls but later.

Buildings I have so far:
- 3 houses 20x20 - found everywhere
- 3 apartments 10x10 - all placed in urban sectors
- 1 shack 10x10 - placed in wilderness and rural areas off roads
- 1 farm 40x40 - house, apple orchard, wheat fields
- 1 office 20x20
- 1 market 20x20
- 1 park 10x10
- 16 road and sewer segments 10x10

Of course, much more is planned plus more variety in everything.

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2014, 02:12:15 pm »
an addition to having sewers, you could also add subway stations to the urban areas.  more risky than sewers(way more zombies) but more stuff to salvage.  not sure if it is just the way I'm thinking but I don't really see a sewer as a place I'd go during a zombie uprising*. 

I also feel like I should ask, will there be a safe zone?  I know you're working on free range monsters, so I'm hoping for something like a start town where zombies won't be able to enter :P

*this is from a guy with a zombie prep kit in his shed