Greatest Server Ever?

Noone would play it!
2 (25%)
No, go away!
0 (0%)
You're crazy so it might be fun!
6 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Should I make a server?  (Read 10598 times)

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
Should I make a server?
« on: November 26, 2013, 06:21:16 am »
what do you guys think? 

if I do I'll start from scratch(borrowing image files of course unless someone volunteers to make new ones), so it won't be out for atleast a few weeks.  there will only be a start town, and it won't have normal npcs(I'll add ones that accept certain items and give cash, or accept cash and give certain items, but no buying/selling).  I'll also take suggestions on new quests, and I have a few ideas for fighting skills*.

*not the actual skills but different types of weapon attacks.  this list might not be what you get, and is just for example(will take suggestions on these too if I can get it to work the way I think it will):
axe would have a chop skill that takes 15 stam and does 3X weapon damage
dagger would have a backstab skill that takes 50 stam and does 10X weapon damage
sword will use 10 stam for the wide slash skill that hits multiple targets around you(if you're 5 on the keypad and target 8 it will hit 7,8,9)
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Roarion

Re: Should I make a server?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 07:49:36 am »
axe would have a chop skill that takes 15 stam and does 3X weapon damage
dagger would have a backstab skill that takes 50 stam and does 10X weapon damage
sword will use 10 stam for the wide slash skill that hits multiple targets around you(if you're 5 on the keypad and target 8 it will hit 7,8,9)

Uhh so you're going to use magic to do the combat then? I don't think magic works to drain larger amounts of your own stamina while attacking (No StaminaCost?), unless you are reprogramming the server or i'm missing something when I did testing a long time ago. You might want to play around with it for a while before you jump in. Also they did something similar to backstab in the pyramid files. Look for Assassin's rush. GL  :P
Asylum - lvl 33 Thrower
Pyramid - lvl 40 Scythe
Dementia - lvl 69 Spear
Nexus V2 - lvl 61 Stealth
Rebirth - lvl 72 Bow
Ganymede - lvl 56 Mage
Hex - lvl 1000 Admin
Future - lvl 1000 Admin
Retired - Unless V6 pulls a miracle

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 09:11:14 am »
I figured I could use something similar to stamina to mana to get stam reduced and use weapon for the damage...I'm trying to figure it out, but thanks I'll give those files a look and see how they did it :P

edit: pyramid files aren't on the download list anymore -.-
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 09:14:18 am by Greatest »

Offline Kaios

• Attack: 69
    Defense: 58
    Attack Member
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 44
    50 Poll Votes 10 Poll Votes Invisible
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 01:07:14 pm »
I voted you're crazy so it might be fun but to be honest what's the point in dedicating time to work on a server that chances are nobody will play and if they do it will be for a month at the most and then dwindle to a few players

If you're going to make a server I would just make a generic one (PK and stealing preferably) with a town and a few quests etc. to start with and just open it. Maybe, just maybe you'll put a ton of work in to a modern server or something and everyone will enjoy it but I just don't see that happening with the current playerbase.
(Insert witty signature here)

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 03:49:45 pm »
I wasn't planning to do a modern world.  I voted Noone would play it since I sort of figured noone would...but there are some things I've always wanted to see in an RPGWO server so I think I'm going to play around with it whether I actually release it or not :P

Offline Roarion

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 05:19:21 pm »
I figured I could use something similar to stamina to mana to get stam reduced and use weapon for the damage...

Uhh you can't use a weapon to attack and cast spells if that is what your talking about, but if you make an other spell it's not going to drain your stamina it's going to drain w/e you are casting on.
Asylum - lvl 33 Thrower
Pyramid - lvl 40 Scythe
Dementia - lvl 69 Spear
Rebirth - lvl 72 Bow
Ganymede - lvl 56 Mage
Hex - lvl 1000 Admin
Future - lvl 1000 Admin

Offline Sacrifice

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 09:08:32 pm »
I will play if you make a server

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 08:17:00 am »
I figured I could use something similar to stamina to mana to get stam reduced and use weapon for the damage...
Uhh you can't use a weapon to attack and cast spells if that is what your talking about, but if you make an other spell it's not going to drain your stamina it's going to drain w/e you are casting on.
well...I was playing around with it and couldn't seem to get it to work, so I guess you're right.  ignoring that idea I'm still interested in making it :P

Offline Sacrifice

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 06:39:25 pm »
Perhaps a magic node fertilizing system?

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 06:52:35 am »
Perhaps a magic node fertilizing system?
perhaps not...would be far too overpowered, but I do plan to speed up plant growth just a little.  I like suggestions(since it means I have to think up less stuff) so keep them coming.

I am currently reworking magic.  I've split all the negative spells from red and white magic and added them to their own skill.  for now I'm calling it "Cursing"(which is the only name I could think of for such a skill) but I'm trying to think up a better name.  I've also combined the positive spells from red and white into the skill "Support Magic", and I'm simplifying the rune system.  instead of a bunch of runes that noone knows what they mean I've made runes such as 'self' 'restore' and 'life'(first 3 runes in my new heal self combo).

I should be done reworking all the magic stuff in a couple days(I'll be in a food coma so I won't be working on it much), then I'll get started on crafting.  I have a bunch of ideas for crafting.  most involve multisteps, while some minor things like alchemy will also have multisteps now they'll also have a bonus on production(ie more potions per sequence since it has more steps). 

I'm also considering not having each potion say what type of potion it is, but rather have each potion numbered(ie mix up all the ingredients and get "potion 7") and those potions could then be tested to find their effects.  this could add the option of having an alchemist give someone they don't like a bottle of poison, but I also know that after a few days into the server someone will come up with a list of each potion and its effects so I don't know if thats really worth the effort...thoughts?

Offline mechanical keyboard enthusiast

• Attack: 3682
    Defense: 2735
    Attack Member
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 25
    Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 03:25:08 pm »
I will pay you to make a server.

Offline Sacrifice

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 03:09:04 am »
The poisonous potion idea is a great one in my opinion, but I don't know how you could make it work without a list of all of the poisonous potions being given around. Although I do remember in game admins could spawn cookies that were named Cookie that would be poisonous yet when you baked a cookie it would be regular. (I'm not sure how it worked because it would seem having two items named the same thing would conflict)

Speaking of which poisonous food in general would be cool as well, especially in the early game when fighters are asking people for food constantly.

PK Spells is another thing I wanted to talk about. I remember on Pyramid there were spells that were like large area PK spells where it would make large areas of magic fire. I know AOE spells aren't doable that give off exp from mobs because it will only pick up the monster/player you have selected when you cast the spell. Either way, I think it would be an awesome thing to bring back.

I can't remember all of the quests I have played in RPGWO, but currently I can't remember a timed quest of any sort. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. Just have a trigger set a reset command on for example a door or warpstone so that if the person didn't do such and such a thing during a certain time instead of being warped to a reward, they be warped to the entrance or perhaps to there doom.

Another cool idea, although it would require a lot of work and dedication, would be to change quests from time to time. Like randomize the mobs in it, or change the rewards. I have never played a server where someone did that. That way quests wouldn't become stale grinds you run through that are the same all the time. It could be a small change such as moving where a mob spawns at for example. Or something a little more substantial, an extra room or a new boss that has taken over since you have slain the previous boss.

Updates making the world have some sort of lore would be a great thing also. Maybe have a good old jailer cletus for a month or something and then have him be corrupt and add a new quest based off of that.

I'm sure all of these ideas have been thought of and then discarded just because the creators will be like "well its to much work for something no one will play" but I think things like that would make a server, like all of the current servers right now, not die after a month or two.

If you add more things to do people won't get bored (I think)

P.S If you need any help with the stuff I can help if you would like.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 03:12:04 am by Sacrifice »

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 09:13:20 am »
I like the timed quest idea...but I have no clue how to do it :P

the thing with poisonous food is it has a different item number(numbers matter more than names), and while that may be a fun thing to do think of mid-late game when someone has a few thousand jerky on a trader and someone comes along to buy it then find out its poisoned...they just wasted a ton of cash on food they can't use.  so while I'm all for poison in potion form I'm against it in food form.

AoE spells: firestorm was already there, I was thinking of adding 2 more.  I was thinking acid rain which would spawn pools of acid on the ground damaging anyone who walks over them, and an ice spell(can't think of a name for it) that would spawn sharp chunks of ice and do cold damage in an area around the target.

Offline Sacrifice

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 02:32:54 pm »
If I remember correctly... (It has been a long time since I did any quest making)

You can set a reset time on an item so that it resets to a specific thing after a certain amount of time.

So an easy way to do it, in theory, would be to have an switch or trigger in game the player would step on open up a door somewhere in the quest. Then after a certain amount of time, the door would reset back to being closed and locked, or the warp stone would reset back to a default coordinates that it would teleport you to normally.  My only thought with that, is that it would get glitchy at times depending on lag because the reset time would be based off of server time.

The poisonous food thing would be pretty annoying, although easily avoided. If the person only bought one to test the food first, they would know if it was poisonous or not.  I remember item number now and I understand how it would work now. I suppose, as long as you were to name them all potion and changed around the images from time to time, no one would be able to make a list of what they are. Also I supposed you could have all of the potions have the same image.

Acid Rain seems like a cool spell idea, but would it be like firestorm where you could only cast it on land you owned?
Perhaps a name for the ice spell could be like Cold Snap, or something like Shatter? Also with that, I don't remember if its possible or not but, you should make the ice shards do some sort of slowing like ice. Then again it might be way to over powered lol.

Offline Roarion

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 03:01:39 pm »
I like the timed quest idea...but I have no clue how to do it :P

AoE spells: firestorm was already there, I was thinking of adding 2 more.  I was thinking acid rain which would spawn pools of acid on the ground damaging anyone who walks over them, and an ice spell(can't think of a name for it) that would spawn sharp chunks of ice and do cold damage in an area around the target.

Just added a quest with something like this  :). In RPGWO Edit set the trigger and wall to the same number. Change the reset time to w/e you want. Sort of cool because players have to do things quickly. Also make sure you make the items reset and use this in item ini TriggerID=# to set what they turn into.

If you are going to do poisonous food consider removing the spell cure self. Players would have to buy an anti-poison potion or slowly die.

As far as AOE spells go most players just use the damaging ones to farm monsters. Set them to a different skill (not black magic) and possibly consider AOE heal and revive spells. I have AOE revive and heal spells in Hex I can share with you if you need them.

Just to mix things up make your ice spell spawn ice that blocks movement or else its just ice storm/fire storm all over again.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 03:08:51 pm by Roarion »
Asylum - lvl 33 Thrower
Pyramid - lvl 40 Scythe
Dementia - lvl 69 Spear
Rebirth - lvl 72 Bow
Ganymede - lvl 56 Mage
Hex - lvl 1000 Admin
Future - lvl 1000 Admin

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2013, 04:36:52 pm »
As far as AOE spells go most players just use the damaging ones to farm monsters. Set them to a different skill (not black magic) and possibly consider AOE heal and revive spells. I have AOE revive and heal spells in Hex I can share with you if you need them.

Just to mix things up make your ice spell spawn ice that blocks movement or else its just ice storm/fire storm all over again.
if ice blocks movement I can foresee someone on a ice block taking cold damage and being surrounded with no way to move off of it...then again you could do that to a monster with magic wall anyway(though I've removed most of the blue magic system).

not sure what I would call the new skill, so far I have Attack Magic(formerly black magic) Support Magic(plus spells from red and white magic) Necromancy(fun skill which allows you to animate certain items) and Cursing(bad spells from red and white magic and I need a new/better name for this).  maybe I should start over on magic and seperate attacks into elements, ie: fire magic, ice magic, and lightning magic.  could divide the cost so getting all will take same amount of points as getting attack magic would.  this way instead of having a bunch of aoe spells you just get 1 or 2 depending on which type of magic you use.  then again this would cause problems with monsters that have better defense against 1 damage type being much harder to kill for mages even with the same skill level...

I'm going to put a lot more thought into magic and work on items and crafting for now...but feel free to keep sharing magic ideas so when I get back to it I'll have an outline of what I'm doing.

Offline Sacrifice

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 02:21:40 am »
You could call cursing, hexing if you want. Or maybe call it witchcraft. A cool idea would be a life steal spell, like essence drain in the form of a spell. And another cool idea for necromancy would be to be able to sacrifice your minions to heal you maybe.

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2013, 08:47:31 am »
witchcraft could work...

I was actually thinking about a spell that does something like that.  it would be a basic attack spell, but would turn a certain amount of the damage done into life for the caster(probably only a small amount though).

sacrificing minions for health doesn't really sound like the best plan.  minions won't be cheap like golems or basic tames in most servers, they will be somewhat complex crafted items that are then animated through magic.  also I wouldn't know how to add a sacrifice ability that couldn't be abused to pk someone :P

I'm currently working on crafting stations.  I decided since crafts are going to be more complex a station for the work would be better than trying to hold 5 things while you work on them.  these won't be needed for some basic things, but then again they won't be hard to build if you have the right skills(most will be forging and carpentry, some will also need pottery and/or masonry).

Offline Sacrifice

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2013, 12:02:24 pm »
Crafting stations sound interesting. I don't have any clue how a minion sacrificing spell would work either. I know some spells can't be cast on a player, but I don'd have any clue how it works anymore. 

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 04:43:32 pm »
this is on hold for a bit, I'm dealing with some family stuff!