• My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

• Total Badges: 29
    Badges: (View All)
    Sixth year Anniversary 10 Poll Votes Fifth year Anniversary
Re: Mining
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2012, 03:55:23 pm »
I get the feeling after all this discussion we're going to come to the conclusion that the best system is the one already in v2  :P
Shoop!

Offline Novibear

• Attack: 89
    Defense: 90
    Attack Member
  • He who should be named
    • MSN Messenger - osiris8762@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email

• Total Badges: 23
    Fifth year Anniversary Karma Bad Level 5
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2012, 10:28:34 pm »
If it aint broke don't try and fix it
I play on and off

Where'd everyone go!?

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2013, 04:14:55 pm »
Been working on mining in V5. Gonna try the "work needed" idea where each ore will require a certain amount of work done before you can get it out. The higher the skill and better the pick/tool then the faster you get the ore out.

Example:
- Hessite ore requires 1000 work

- with a mining skill of 50 and an iron pick (mine power = 5) then each stroke gives (Skill / 10) * ToolPower = (50 / 10) * 5 = 25 work per stroke gives 1000 / 25 = 40 strokes to get ore out, costing 40 * 5 = 200 stamina and 40 * 2 = 80 seconds (plus stamina recover time).

- with a mining skill of 10 and an stone pick (mine power = 1) then each stroke gives (Skill / 10) * ToolPower = (10 / 10) * 5 = 5 work per stroke gives 1000 / 5 = 200 strokes to get ore out, costing 200 * 5 = 1000 stamina and 1000 * 2 = 2000 seconds (plus stamina recover time).

Keep in mind that V1/V2 skills are higher and raise faster. I want V5 to be lower and raise slower. So a skill of 10 is a newb and a skill of 50 would be like a level 10 - 20 player.
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2013, 08:01:36 pm »
I think you're going to kill mining that way...

maybe you shouldn't divide it by 10 a second time.  (skill / 10) * tool power seems fair to me.  at that rate if you are a proficient miner(since you said 50 is going to be a good mining level) that means it would take 20 stam to mine that hessite.  I'm going to compare that to current versions of the game, getting to level 10 as a miner you can mine pretty much anything(might have trouble with artifact) and could mine the ore with a loss of 5 stamina(it would take 4 times as much with my suggestion or 40 times as much with your idea)...

the second problem I see is the time it takes to mine an area.  if someone is trying to mine out an area to build their home and it takes over half an hour to mine 1 tile I don't see them sticking to it.  I know 1 of the things you mentioned when starting V3, V4, and V5 was getting people interested in the game...thats not going to happen with 30+ minutes to mine 1 tile.

also this could play into the idea I posted(can't remember where) with a place being mined giving small amounts of different metals and those being combined to make a full, usable bar for crafting.  if its all 1 metal with high mining skill its going to sit for a while, but if its maybe 10% of that metal and the rest is something easier to mine it gives players a chance to get those better metals a little earlier.
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Roarion

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2013, 04:18:25 pm »

the second problem I see is the time it takes to mine an area.  if someone is trying to mine out an area to build their home and it takes over half an hour to mine 1 tile I don't see them sticking to it.  I know 1 of the things you mentioned when starting V3, V4, and V5 was getting people interested in the game...thats not going to happen with 30+ minutes to mine 1 tile.

Have you ever played wurm online? They have around 600+ people online on that game usually and many pay for premium. It takes well over an hour to mine out a single wall and near 3 hours to make a 1x1 house chopping wood and collecting supplies in Wurm. Players work together to build houses and player owned land land takes a much longer time to fall apart. I ended up quitting the game though because everyone just brute force marcos to get anything done. If the time was more in the 5-10 minute range for RPGWO I think it would be a good balance. Or else just take current mining and keep it pretty much the same, except that it takes multiple ores to make whatever you are working on.

Ex) 10 iron ores to make a iron sword. 5 more iron ores to +1 or reinforce it, then 10 to +2 and so on.
Asylum - lvl 33 Thrower
Pyramid - lvl 40 Scythe
Dementia - lvl 69 Spear
Nexus V2 - lvl 61 Stealth
Rebirth - lvl 72 Bow
Ganymede - lvl 56 Mage
Hex - lvl 1000 Admin
Future - lvl 1000 Admin
Retired - Unless V6 pulls a miracle

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2013, 05:45:59 pm »
because everyone just brute force marcos to get anything done.
or that...if you want people to play a game it has to be fun, if you want bots and macros to play a game then it doesn't matter.  when I play a game I prefer to play it myself I don't really see the point in botting and macroing:
if a game isn't fun I quit. 
if the amount of time invested isn't worth the payout I quit.
if the game is ridiculously unbalanced I quit.

this is the way a lot of people do things, so 30+ minutes to mine 1 tile is crazy...

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2013, 01:32:03 pm »
Got it mostly coded. So far it seems to work pretty good. Probably need to lower stamina cost from 5 to 2 or 1 since it is now similar to swinging a weapon once.

I have no problem with a newb taking 30 minutes to get hessite, if they want it that bad.
The alternative would be a newb running around with a damon pick +100 mining, doing even worse damage I think.

I do want things to take longer than V1/V2 did but I don't want it to turn into endless clicking on a wall/tree/etc to finally get resource cuz then it does kill the "fun".

I can see using more than one ore to make larger items. I want to add more steps to making things for sure.
One idea I had last night was with armor:
- all metal armor needs some fabric base like leather or cotton
- metal parts attach to the fabric like chains, scales and plates using fabric straps
- different fabrics and metals give different armor ratings and protections

So maybe each metal part would come from 1 ore and like chest armor requires like 4 parts.

You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2013, 06:34:24 pm »
I can see using more than one ore to make larger items. I want to add more steps to making things for sure.
One idea I had last night was with armor:
- all metal armor needs some fabric base like leather or cotton
- metal parts attach to the fabric like chains, scales and plates using fabric straps
- different fabrics and metals give different armor ratings and protections

:o do you know how hard it is to kill a cow with no weapon skills? 

then again I guess that won't be a problem in V5...but not all armors need cloth or leather to hold them together.  yes plate armor has most sections held together with leather straps and I know Japanese style scale armor is held together with silk(which is technically stronger than steel) but things like chain mail or ring mail are simply held together by being forged interlocked...but I like the idea of more steps for crafting ???