Author Topic: Added Mining  (Read 6622 times)

Offline Mickey Kudlo

Added Mining
« on: October 16, 2013, 11:15:31 am »
What's new copy/pasted...

October 13, 2013

- lighting, day and night plus underground, no light
  sources yet, /hour moves hour along for testing
- underground, /up and /down works for everyone,
  can use anyplace
- /item <name>  works for all players: stone shovel,
  ladder down, ladder up
- stone shovel and axe are makable
- mining underground, in carry tab, click the stone
  shovel in inventory then click min tool spot to arm
- just walk into a wall to mine it
- corpses for all animals, several decay stages,
  finally decays to bones
- running server off machine at home to test network issues

Found a handful of bugs and refinements that I need to address but wanted to let you know I have been busy coding.
The only ores available are stones, copper, silver, gold, platinum. No usages on them yet.
Not sure about the "mine tool" slot yet and how that all feels.

You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
Re: Added Mining
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 05:29:54 am »
I found a weird glitch...when you log in if you type your password wrong it says log in failed and doesn't let you retry.  guess if you don't have fat fingers its not a problem but would be nice if you could get back to the login screen after a failed log in instead of having to close it completely.
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 10:56:52 pm »
does mining skill play any part in actual mining?  seems no matter how many times I level it I still only do 2 'work' per hit

edit: nevermind forgot you said its level/10...which means tool isn't adding anything -_-
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 11:00:52 pm by Greatest »

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 01:46:19 am »
WorkDone = SkillValue / 10 + Tool.MineWork;

The stone shovel = 1

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 11:35:37 am »
if stone shovel = 1 then something is off.  I did 2 work til my mining hit 30, then I did 3...I'll test it more tonight but I need sleep now

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 10:56:28 am »
OK, I got it mixed up. It was

WorkDone = SkillValue / 10 * Tool.MineWork

and still is right now but I changed it for next update to

WorkDone = SkillValue / 10 + Tool.MineWork

Not sure what works best yet until I get more ore in.

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 12:33:23 pm »
times tool power could be overpowered once you add the better tools, but having it as just a plus doesn't sound like it would help out too much...

maybe you need a new formula, but I think I would be more help if I knew how well better tools would work. things like if each tool's power goes 1 higher than the 1 before it or if each goes up by a bunch.* 

the only formula that really comes to mind for me is squareroot(tool power X mining level).  this doesn't add too much to work done early, but doesn't make things overpowered or not worth it later in game.  for example 40 mining with a stone shovel would do 6 work, thats 4 work with the multiplying formula or 5 with the adding formula.  that same 40 mining with a tool doing 5 work(possibly 5th tool?) would do 14 work, thats 20 with multiplying formula or 9 with adding.  it makes the better tools worth having, but still makes you rely on skill...and yes this is sort of the HnH mining formula.

*stone shovel is 1st tool and has 1 power will the 5th be at 5 power?  if so then getting that 5th tool barely saves you any time with your adding formula.  on the other hand if tools were to double in power as they went up a tier that 5th tool would have a power of 16.  with adding that would be worth the time and effort to get it, but extremely overpowered with multiplying...

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 03:05:20 pm »
the new ores are crazy hard to mine(I know cobalt is 300 and ebony is 500 and hessite is 800) so with the tool power adding it really isn't going to help...

also how do you make a furnace?  I've tried a lot of different things that could, and none of them seem to do anything.

edit: and yes I mined the first hessite!  was less about wanting it than being curious about what took so much work to mine ;D
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 03:10:56 pm by Greatest »

Offline Shaolin

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 06:58:13 pm »
the new ores are crazy hard to mine(I know cobalt is 300 and ebony is 500 and hessite is 800) so with the tool power adding it really isn't going to help...

also how do you make a furnace?  I've tried a lot of different things that could, and none of them seem to do anything.

edit: and yes I mined the first hessite!  was less about wanting it than being curious about what took so much work to mine ;D

I hope you don't mean you mined the first hessite today as I got one yesterday :p been using it for fail exp to lvl up but now the server seems to have died o.0

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 05:36:16 am »
I hope you don't mean you mined the first hessite today as I got one yesterday :p been using it for fail exp to lvl up but now the server seems to have died o.0
you didn't post about it so it doesn't count ::)

I haven't been able to get on for a few days so I didn't even know about the update til yesterday, Mickey usually announces them...and yea it died about an hour after I made that post

Offline Shaolin

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 08:49:23 am »
Its back up again now. Still trying to smelt this hessy. Wonder how much refining is needed to make the bars, fail xp is 80 so definitely a good way to get some quick lvls.

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 11:52:01 am »
The server has been acting weird. I may need a new router at home but when I restart the server.exe then it connects fine so just need to do the V1/V2 thing where it auto-restarts once per day then maybe the issue will go away. As of this post, I can't connect either :(  I noticed the insects and butterflies were taking over the world too.

So my question is, should mining be like V1/V2 where you need enough skill to do any work? Like 80 Mining to get any work done on hessy? Otherwise, you have newbs running around with it getting fail XP on refining/blacksmith. Probably will do that.

Until more mining tools show up, we can't really tell how hard it is to mine this stuff. I think damon is 1000 work. I put it in the mines for now, will have it meteor drop later.

Offline Shaolin

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 04:57:31 pm »
It's a hard one to decide that. Mining with effort does seem a good idea but as I learned you can mine hessy at lvl 1 or better ore if you can find it and make 12 lvls or more quite fast failing to smelt it at 80xp which when compared to 1-5xp a hit in melee it's a ton. Not sure how this will scale with weapons as my dmg is still puny with my fists and I think exp is earned per dmg so it may be even if you can hit 80 dmg with a weapon early on.

As to the 1000 effort for damon it's way too low, with the current stone shovel I could dig that at lvl 1 and probably get 100 exp a fail smelting it. 20% faster than hessy. Yet with the old system set at around 400-500 mining skill I wouldn't have a chance of mining it without a full set of jewels/buffs and some serious mining/stat building beforehand.

I like the idea of mining damon, meteors were only good for fighters, traders didn't have much hope of getting one. I think the old mining system would have my vote unless effort was increased a lot and other mining tools made them more spread out eg 80,000 effort for hessy but a lvl 80 mining pick that does 10k effort a swing so you would have to have 80 skill still to realistically mine it then rather than at lvl 1 with 2 effort a swing you wouldn't attempt it.

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 09:46:28 pm »
So my question is, should mining be like V1/V2 where you need enough skill to do any work? Like 80 Mining to get any work done on hessy? Otherwise, you have newbs running around with it getting fail XP on refining/blacksmith. Probably will do that.
I still say if you swing a pick enough times you'll eventually get whats there...so I like the new system.  then again being able to get the best ore just because you're patient enough will unbalance the game too much. 

maybe theres another way?

only thing that comes to my mind is to greatly increase the amount of work needed to mine the stuff(50k for damon?), but if that happens you'll need a new mining formula so better tools actually make a difference.

Offline Aurora

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 09:55:29 pm »
Maybe make Damon fall into the mine, so meteor above ground with monsters (were they called voorgs?) And below ground with monsters, and 1 Damon spot that needs mined.
-RPGWO-
VRZ Staff - Staff - Xerxes - lvl 28 - Retired
Aurora - Mage - Asylum - lvl 37 - Retired
Borealis - Mage - Pyramid - lvl 23 - Retired
Borealis - Mage - Claytonia - lvl 15 - Retired
Aurora - Mage - Phantasy - lvl 7 - Retired
-League of Legends-
Auronon

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 12:02:53 pm »
I'm against underground monsters!

Offline Aurora

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 12:26:11 pm »
They would clear out an area, so you could just run away.
But better idea, do nothing underground, but make it so it has to be mined above ground.
-RPGWO-
VRZ Staff - Staff - Xerxes - lvl 28 - Retired
Aurora - Mage - Asylum - lvl 37 - Retired
Borealis - Mage - Pyramid - lvl 23 - Retired
Borealis - Mage - Claytonia - lvl 15 - Retired
Aurora - Mage - Phantasy - lvl 7 - Retired
-League of Legends-
Auronon

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 03:37:05 pm »
Damon should still fall from the sky... it is tradition! Whether it turns into a golem or not... we'll see. It probably should stay above ground too.

Bah! I want to add worms and other subterranean creatures. And what about NPCs that also mine that you run into? Should they be nice or stick you with a pick if you get sassy? Not to mention nocturnal creatures that live in caves during day and come out at night to hunt, etc.

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 07:54:37 pm »

Bah! I want to add worms and other subterranean creatures. And what about NPCs that also mine that you run into? Should they be nice or stick you with a pick if you get sassy? Not to mention nocturnal creatures that live in caves during day and come out at night to hunt, etc.
caves ok, minable area not ok.  if you can see theres a cave and you're brave and want to go look, so be it...but mining and having a monster pop out is just wrong!  as far as your mining npcs go: 2 characters(player or non player) who are out mining would usually mine pass each other unless its a good vein of ore, then they may compete over who gets it...but normal player to player when mining most you get is a "hi", "sup", "seen any ___", or "how good is your mining".  unless you add a faction type thing and that npc is in a faction thats hostile towards your faction I can't see them just randomly killing you while you're both mining.

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2013, 04:56:00 pm »
So, I updated last night and changed mining so you need a minimum of skill to do any work. It will keep newbs from getting high level ore but...

I been playing and found damon, 100 skill required, and just sat there for an hour getting fail XP and went from level 6 to 11 and raised my mining from 28 to 49. I guess V1/V2 doesn't give level XP on a fail, so I need to fix that at least and maybe halve the XP on a fail.... ok, made the change for next update.