Author Topic: V5 Futuristic Theme  (Read 3747 times)

Offline Mickey Kudlo

V5 Futuristic Theme
« on: September 23, 2013, 02:56:13 pm »
At this point in V5, I am taking a break/pause to collect my thoughts, clear my head, read a book, etc. It is always good to step back and let the dust settle then come back and get a fresh perspective, seeing bugs and things you missed before. Also, I need to settle on a theme. I thought I was gonna do a pure fantasy sandbox game but I think I will get bored with it since it is what I been doing the past decade with V1/V2. So, I am taking some time to research a futuristic theme, like Galactic Venture.

- year 3000, space flight practical, a single capitol ship arrived (warped, folded, whatever) at an unexplored area of the galaxy with you and other NPCs on it
- system maps where you pilot a ship around. Stars, planets, nebulae, asteroids, comets, etc. all scale to show up in one space.
- celestrial body maps, like planets 400x400, have player movement
- ships, stations, bases, etc, have smaller maps, 20 to 100, with player movement. Moving player to a "pilot control" panel/desk/seat gives system map mode
- ship to ship combat would cause damage to tactical maps?
- still a simulation world where NPCs act like players and everything has an origin and consequences like:
  - a space station can starve if no one delivers food to it
  - nothing can be built unless the appropriate resource is mined/gathered
  - every human NPC encountered started at mothership
- dynamic, custom ship design, add/remove components, like arming a player?

Would still have the feel of V1/V2 with skills.

Anyways, just some quick thoughts.
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
Re: V5 Futuristic Theme
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 12:30:36 pm »
wow!  that means you're going to need a lot of new items for the game.  I can't see using a pick to mine when you could have drills/machines to do it.  as far as that goes you may have even better stuff since you're going nearly a thousand years ahead.  just think how far things have come in the last thousand years, humans have gone from the dark ages with metal working and stone construction being the most advanced technologies to modern times of air travel, electricity, cars, and even space flight.

I suggested a crashed ship in the other thread because that means even though you have some futuristic stuff its still mostly the same stuff you're used to, and it forces a need to do things the hard way(grinding).  if you're living in a civilization so advanced that it sets up a colony in an unexplored area of space and travels between the planets in the area I'm sure they'd also have some type of cybernetic enhancements to use instead of a fighter going out with some weapon and slowly getting stronger as s/he uses it...

I like the futuristic idea, but if you go full futuristic you'll need to invent lots of new items.
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 04:13:17 pm »
Just gonna post my thoughts and ideas here as I go...

My original V5 idea with a fantasy, sandbox world, would be a full (95% probably) simulation world. It would have everything loaded and monitoring everything all the time. Like growing, moving around, degrade/decaying, spawning, NPC AI, etc.

Now with a multi-planet and "many maps" type world, not sure if I would need to have it all loaded and running at once. Maybe just have loaded what a player or NPC is in. And temporary load maps for periodic processing like for growth.
It would have basically 2 classes of NPC: intelligent and non-intelligent.
- intelligent would always be loaded and running, like humans and aliens. They actually do significant changes to the world.
- non-intelligent beings like animals and "monsters" that dont do significant changes to the world. These would load and unload with maps they are on and don't level up. Spawns for them would dry up as they got killed but would slowly come back.
This would allow A LOT of worlds to discover and explore. Maybe even infinite. Still thinking how to do the star map and when you hit the edge it goes to next star map and if it doesn't exist, it creates it. Memory and processing would be low so could probably have a lot, like 10k x 10k, nuts. Most of it would be empty space anyways.

No, I would pre-create it all since the alien intelligent life needs to go somewhere.

Offline mechanical keyboard enthusiast

• Attack: 3682
    Defense: 2735
    Attack Member
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 25
    Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 04:48:20 pm »
are you going to be using those strange floating plots things?

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 10:51:49 am »
are you going to be using those strange floating plots things?
Huh, whaaa?

Oh you mean floating maps? heh
Technically it is something like that since it would be a world with many separate maps. 
- You start off on the mother ship map. You walk into a drop ship.
- When the drop ship leaves, you would be moved to a drop ship map. You wouldn't notice anything except the mothership parts dissappeared and the door closed?
- when the drop ship gets to surface, the map you on gets merged into the planet surface map.

Not sure how it would all play out still.

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 09:29:48 pm »
why wouldn't the mothership have a teleporter room?  it would keep you from needing to merge a dropship map, and well you know...3 to beam up Mr. Scott

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 12:38:47 pm »
Yeah, teleporter tech would solve the problem but would every ship be able to afford it? Would every person know how to build one and/or have the resources to do it? Wouldn't it be better to have varying degrees of the tech that players need to research and learn? Would a ship that has one, have enough power for it to operate properly or go the range needed? Does it need a catching teleporter on the other end to work or can it teleport anyplace? So, it kinda raises other issues if you put a teleporter on every ship but it certainly solves a big technical issue :) But a large mothership would probably have one at the start, maybe, unless they spent all their initial fund credits on Twinkies for the long trip from Earth.

I think the easiest way to connect maps, would be a "warp" item, like a doorway, when you step on it, you get moved to the other map, like when moving from a orbiting ship to a drop ship, or any ship to ship movement. Also, for ship to planet movement. Would need some large representation of the ship on the planet too. Problem with that is, you can't see what you are walking into nor can you shoot through it, etc. But maybe I could code it so ppl can peek ahead. The Facebook V3 version had those houses with "warp" doors that put you on a new map for the house/shop. It would be like that but only for moveable stuff. Players hated those houses and I wasn't too fond of them either. But really, you are all familiar with the idea, since Cave Entrance/Exit or Stairs Up/Down work the same way to "warp" the player to the upper/lower map.

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 06:24:07 pm »
lol do you always overthink things?

I was thinking teleport like in startrek(only needed it on the ship to beam down or back to the ship).  rethinking it, that could cause some issues if people beam in the middle of a fight to keep someone from killing them...

I guess another way to do it would be a dock/port.  you have ships/shuttles that take you from 1 place to another.  you wouldn't actually need the ships to move just be part of the background(and use warps to go from 1 dock to the next).  that way a player just gives his ticket(or cash) to the ship captain of the shuttle they want to take and they're off...

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 03:45:02 pm »
Anywho...

The main technical difference between GV and RPGWO is that in GV you command many players at once and they act autonomously (on their own) where as in RPGWO, you control one and just about every single move is explicitly directed. I do want to stay with the RPGWO way of things.

So other than the theme to choose being a mystery, now I think that I should change how the world is designed. V1/V2 has one big map as the world, all on the tactical level. I think what I want to do is add a strategic level that connects all the tactical maps.

For fantasy worlds, islands or small continents 200 to 1000 in size that get accessed via a strategic map that shows the maps in a single square. So the scale would be like, 1 square is like 1 mile or 20 miles, etc. Then you would have boats or airships to travel around or you stay at whatever map you are at and grind/live away.

For futuristic, the strategic map would show stars, planets, asteroids, moons, etc. Space craft would be the mode of transit.

Ships would have own tactical map with like pilot station, sensors, engine room, etc. When you move onto the pilot seat/station, you would go into strategy map mode then you can move around depending how and if the ship is capable. The strategy map could be endless really but probably 10k x 10k ? Well, 2k X 2k so it isnt too nutty.

Would have ship to ship combat probably in the strategy map mode. Damage could show up on the tactical map, like engines on fire, walls missing, etc.

Keep in mind I am just thinking out loud here.

Currently reading "Ender's Game" so when I am done with it, will decide. But I do want the strategy map idea no matter what I think.

Offline mechanical keyboard enthusiast

• Attack: 3682
    Defense: 2735
    Attack Member
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 25
    Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 07:23:19 pm »
Do you plan on running the entire thing as one process/server or do you plan on separating things in a fun way?

If eventually you permit others to run V5 servers, possibly something like a Single Sign On service so it doesn't expose login information to third parties, but instead you log on into a home spaceport of sorts run by you, and entering specific areas teleports you to a different ip:port/world?

Offline Aurora

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 11:53:38 am »
Ender's game is boss, is just read it for the third time last week.

But I like the idea of having different views, but try to make someone controlling a strategic view not blind to their tactical view.  People are that absorbed in what they are doing.
-RPGWO-
VRZ Staff - Staff - Xerxes - lvl 28 - Retired
Aurora - Mage - Asylum - lvl 37 - Retired
Borealis - Mage - Pyramid - lvl 23 - Retired
Borealis - Mage - Claytonia - lvl 15 - Retired
Aurora - Mage - Phantasy - lvl 7 - Retired
-League of Legends-
Auronon

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 10:27:20 am »
thats really different from what I thought you meant...so I guess my easy work around ideas were useless.

thinking of a ship to go from 1 area to another I think of all the things that people have done over the years to other people's mules.  so to complicate your idea more: you'll need a way to make sure a person can't block someone's ship in and strand them off on some deserted planet.

I can just see someone going to explore a newly discovered planet(and bragging a bit on global) then someone coming in right behind them claiming the plot where they landed and putting up walls.  I guess the simplest way to prevent that would be by making a landing area on each planet thats plot land, but that sort of kills the purpose of discovering a new planet...

unless its some faction type thing and you get some bonus for claiming a new planet for your faction? so when you claim that planet your faction gets the landing area as plot land?  then some officer(npc) lands and takes charge building up basic stuff on the planet as players bring in the supplies?

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 05:20:09 pm »
Finished Ender's Game, what a messed up ending. I guess there is 3 more books in that world/series? I guess I'll get them one day.

anywho, back to whatever this thread was about...

Gave it some deep, deep technical thought and .... fell asleep, I MEAN, I think that I want to keep going with my current game engine design plan with just a single, big tactical map. I have to keep reminding myself that my V5 focus is dynamic NPC/animal/monster AI. The best/easiest for that for now, is just one big map.

I am still giving it some thought but gonna get back to coding but just stuff that would be shared or close to it.

And the theme would stay fantasy too but I have the idea of a progressive theme in that, stone age, medieval age, modern age stuff all makable with enough skill and knowledge. But don't know. Might be too weird and scattered all over. Probably better to focus on one really well. But maybe still have muskets? But would be better to have magic firing iBow or something, heh.

I can see making "Space Fold Online" as a whole other game and engine that just focused on space ships or something to satisfy my futuristic itch in a year or so.

Offline Aurora

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 11:14:16 am »
Ender's Game -> Speaker for the Dead -> Xenocide (BEST BOOK EVER) -> Children of the Mind
Parallels:
Ender's Shadow -> Shadow of the Hegemon -> Shadow Puppets -> Shadow of the Giant -> Shadows in Flight -> Shadows Alive(Planned)

A War of Gifts

Interquel between Ender's Game and SftD: Ender in Exile

And yay! Fantasy!
-RPGWO-
VRZ Staff - Staff - Xerxes - lvl 28 - Retired
Aurora - Mage - Asylum - lvl 37 - Retired
Borealis - Mage - Pyramid - lvl 23 - Retired
Borealis - Mage - Claytonia - lvl 15 - Retired
Aurora - Mage - Phantasy - lvl 7 - Retired
-League of Legends-
Auronon