Author Topic: Updated V5 : Basic Map Usage and such  (Read 4116 times)

Offline Mickey Kudlo

Updated V5 : Basic Map Usage and such
« on: August 29, 2013, 06:14:16 pm »
August 28, 2013

- gave animals some more AI: rabbits hide in home item,
  other animals dont venture too far from their home
- maybe fixed some dup images or dissappearing ones
- added usage, click on map item to get icon(s) to
  click on to get that new item, still needs work tho
- auto-stacks in inventory when you pickup or from a usage
- shows quantity if more than 1 stacked
- messing with XP and levels too
- added a supply item needed for some usages like
  using sharpened stone on [wooden stick] uses supply
  string to make stone axe. Basically an extra tool
  item sort of. Just an example, didnt add this one yet
- attributes gain levels thru skill usage
- PK allowed at level 5 and higher

Still work to do with usage. Trying to figure out how to determine what tool you use for a usage.
Right now it auto uses the first one that fits the usage. Was thinking of tool slots to put tools in
kinda like minecraft I guess. Then the server will use those first.
Or the usual, double click on tool then click on focus item like V1/V2. Probably need this anyways
but want a hotkey or quicker way to do usage.
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline mechanical keyboard enthusiast

• Attack: 3682
    Defense: 2735
    Attack Member
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 25
    Badges: (View All)
    Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
Re: Updated V5 : Basic Map Usage and such
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 01:17:09 am »
is macroing allowed on v5?

Attack Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 12:24:37 pm »
(by that i mean are there any implementation to stop people from doing this like fun random events that give a small reward if you answer a question or perform some non automated task or a captcha or something)

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 05:41:18 pm »
is macroing allowed on v5?

For now there is no rule and probably wont be any in the future since it can be hard to discover.
Which is why I will probably implement some kinda scripting. It would also allow logoff and your player stays in world, running the script.

But macroing now is really good idea cuz we can see where the XP system needs balancing.

But for the most part, I am not taking a strict approach to this game unless it is a real cheating issue, like duplicating items, warping around, dirty PK tricks, etc. I just need to make sure players don't feel screwed over or "why bother" attitude.

I keep worrying that this game won't appeal to anyone or enough people or wont feel mainstream enough to attract players. But I keep telling myself, the only way I can do this (and the way I approached V1/V2) is to make a game for me to play by myself and if others wanna join... kewl. Not that I ignore players needs/wants, heh. I do value your opinions and suggestions very much but ultimately, I need to please me or I will loose interest. Hope that makes sense.

Attack Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 03:58:09 am »
aw, new game engine? have to rewrite everything then lol

Offline Kaios

• Attack: 69
    Defense: 58
    Attack Member
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 44
    50 Poll Votes 10 Poll Votes Invisible
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 11:05:46 am »
For now there is no rule and probably wont be any in the future since it can be hard to discover.
Which is why I will probably implement some kinda scripting. It would also allow logoff and your player stays in world, running the script.

As far as Rpgwo V1/V2 is concerned macroing is a huge issue. I mean just look at the screenshot chaosknight posted, which he even seems to be proud of that he can cheat so well. Not many people take it to that extreme considering how easy it is, but I do hope with this game you will take a harder stance against things like this and possibly even implement ways to prevent it.
(Insert witty signature here)

Offline Vicious

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 04:30:23 pm »
I completely agree with Kaios on this point, Macroing is not hard to discover, if you find someone doing an odd behavior, like repeating last use over and over and moving left or right or doing anything to disrupt the inactivity boot, just ask a simple question or say hello to see if the player is actually there. This is a large issue with v1/v2, what's the point of making an item or usage take a certain amount of skill if you just have someone sit there throw up a macro and have it do the training for him while he's asleep or out doing something else...
Lv. 48 Sword - ST2 [R]
Lv. 52 Dagger - 2nd Shadow [R]
Lv. 48 Mace - Ataxia [R]
Lv. 53 Mage/Xbow - Nexus V2 [R]
Lv. 64 Bower - Stormy Coast [R]
Lv. 108 Axer - Rebirth [R]
Lv. 64 Mage - Calamity [R]
Lv. 62 Mage - Fancy Lad [R]
Lv. 68 Bower - Hex [R]
LV. 77 Mage - Hex [R]

Who counts Damon?

Attack Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 04:40:23 pm »
i`ve played on three worlds and all of them except hex have devolved into no one saying a word for 14 hours+ at a time

the logged out scripting idea sound nice but what it would consist of? what you can do with it? some things maybe like very monotonous done slower say « one per minute of seeds harvested or cut from plant ? » if offered defence or attack training overnight logged out with safety , it seems imba  but if offered trade skill with hold down F12 overnight it seem bad too. this would be unique feature that would level the playing field, reduce the use of third prty program, ease some people from stay on too long to detriment of health or cheating while let them go outside

you can`t 100% defeat macroers (even with captcha, random event, admin questioning [logout, markov chain..], ect), i am not saying for me but others too and other games with more budget and resources than this. technological try almost always fail, such as afk-booting players.. you need active staff to watch, you need psychological method to make people enjoy game, and not want to just enjoy numbers from window

more random event such as possibility of fail to make a weapon or armour when lower skill (and later smelt it down to make proper) but be able to realize the weapon like « Low Quality Tungsten Mace » which higher than the previous level but still not the best

or random event hppen such as discovering rare ore that requires you to loot it fast or melt it down with  torch on you inventory or else it kills you, prevent hold down right arrow butto and coming bck later for it? incentivize necessity of pay attention with small reward for making incentive to not afk.

other  as example, one thing i macro for is offloading mule and mining. multipick requires click and can`t be make as main pick to right click. you can`t put item directly from mule or trader to ground, so it`s very hard and time consuming to do.. those are some thing that would require game or game engine change to realize, but would remove some reasons to macro in the first place..

i have somewhat vested interest in seeing a sandbox game succeed, i have play wurm online, salem, haven...... havent found home yet
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 04:45:54 pm by chaosknight »

Offline Kaios

Attack Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 07:35:01 pm »
i`ve played on three worlds and all of them except hex have devolved into no one saying a word for 14 hours+ at a time

Oh right so you're claiming that you didn't start to macro until what? People stopped globaling? I call bullwolf on that one and not to mention I don't recall you ever really contributing to any conversations so who are you to talk about no one saying a word.

You macro because it is easy for you and you gain an advantage not because of any random external factors.

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 01:08:39 pm »
wow I've only been away for a few days and people are already trying to cheat...

@Chaosknight whats the point of scripting the game instead of playing?  if you don't think its fun why not just walk away?
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 01:55:15 pm »
wow I've only been away for a few days and people are already trying to cheat...

@Chaosknight whats the point of scripting the game instead of playing?  if you don't think its fun why not just walk away?

I can see scripting some things that become tedious. Like the whole harvest and plant, alchemy/farming/potion cycle. Players kept asking me for a multi-spot farming tool like UT had to make it easier. Some kinda scripting would ease the "pain" plus making the scripts could be fun for players too and selling scripts to each other, I don't know.
But yeah, it could be grossly abused of course, just like any other feature.

I have fought macroing for a long time. I added all sorts of checks and such but everything was gotten around and all the checks did really was to hinder honest players. So, I don't know, I am like, "why not embrace it then?" that way everyone can benefit and it levels the playing field?

It also would allow players to make NPCs in that they write a script for their player, run it, log off (player stays in world running it), then create a new player to play, checking on the "NPC" every so often. Hmm, maybe those would be the only other NPCs? Other than animals, just players and players running on scripts made by players. I wouldn't need a fancy AI system, just a good scripting system players would understand.

Hmm, might be too weird for the normal player though but it would fit with a true, sandbox, dynamic game system, world. Although, the whole sandbox idea is weird for a normal player already who just wants to run around and kill everything with no consequences.

Something to think and discuss about.

Offline Kaios

Attack Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 03:32:33 pm »
Here is a link to a video of a sandbox game that is still currently in development, however the video is almost a year old so I would assume he's advanced far past this early stage by now. The game is called Topia Online and the creator has some interesting ideas in regards to using scripts in-game.

There's also a kickstarter which is now canceled that has some information (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1784263141/topia-online) as well as the actual website (http://www.topiaonline.com/)

You should check it out.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 03:37:40 pm by Kaios »

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 10:59:32 pm »
Just looked at Topia Online and it looks pretty good. Has some good ideas. The script idea is good too and is pretty much what I was just thinking, I think, heh. It looks like it using Java for scripts? Wonder if it actually compiling to a .dll or something then loading and running.

Not sure about their experience system tho. Seems very unproven and not tested enough, long term? Gaining XP from others using your crafted items will have its abuses and issues. I can see players giving items away free instead of selling at shops. Plus not really realistic so much.

The orb tower thing I don't quite understand yet. The world dies if they die? And you get power from them or being in game? To buy land, NPCs, etc? How do they die? etc, etc, well, I could read and watch the whole video I guess, heh. Plus wouldnt ppl just stay AFK logged in to get points? oh well

Offline Kaios

Attack Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 06:33:25 pm »
The orb tower thing I don't quite understand yet. The world dies if they die? And you get power from them or being in game? To buy land, NPCs, etc? How do they die? etc, etc, well, I could read and watch the whole video I guess, heh. Plus wouldnt ppl just stay AFK logged in to get points? oh well

From what I remember the Obelisks are what initially spawn the environment around you depending on their settings as well as allowing you to affect how the biome under the control of that obelisk changes. They're also what's used to spawn the minions that you control using the scripts.

The way I understood it, when all the obelisks in the world are destroyed (By monsters, I assume) the world is overtaken by darkness and stuff happens and then the server restarts. That's why he talks about how players have to work together to ensure the game world doesn't die and defend these obelisks from random monsters or events or maybe even other players.

Really I know as much as you about the game though.

Offline Hubo

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 09:20:22 pm »
Here is a link to a video of a sandbox game that is still currently in development, however the video is almost a year old so I would assume he's advanced far past this early stage by now. The game is called Topia Online and the creator has some interesting ideas in regards to using scripts in-game.

There's also a kickstarter which is now canceled that has some information (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1784263141/topia-online) as well as the actual website (http://www.topiaonline.com/)

You should check it out.

This sounds pretty cool. As a player gains more experience they can "hire" npc help to do the menial work. They wouldn't gain much experience from it but that would give them more time to do the harder stuff say building a powerful item or building a palace for a lvl 100 mage. This could really keep players entertained for a long time.