Author Topic: New World Anyone?  (Read 25289 times)

Offline theforestauro

Re: New World Anyone?
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2013, 07:37:53 pm »
Asche here. One of the things I did with Core was condense weapons into broader skills that gave a more tactical choice element to the weapons - if a player had "Blade", he had a Longsword (Average Everything), a Sabre (One-Handed w/Weapon AL) or Axes (Shield Breaking, slower, but damaging) at every level.

Instead of "Boxing", "Sword", and "Ninja", consider offering more realistic melee skills. "Close Combat" for UA, Knives, Knuckles, etc, "Fencing/Swordfighting/[SomethingLikeThat]" for the more archaic melee weapons INCLUDING asian blades, and perhaps a third skill for big two-handed weapons like spears or taser-poles or whatever.

You could also do a melee skill that consumed ammo. I've experimented with this before - shock batons that eat up charge cells and the like.

As far as using portals to go from world to world, I think that's a fantastic idea. One of the things you could do especially is rig elevation or climate coding to make certain plants only work in certain elevations/climates (I'm not certain how in-depth climates are in v-whatever-this-is-coded-in). I know Zen once replaced the elevation map with a custom mathmatically generated one - you could have each "Planet" be within a certain elevation area or climate zone so only compatible planets could host that flora.

Offline theforestauro

« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2013, 07:39:45 pm »
As a side note, especially with the Stargate motif, you can get a LOT of mileage out of mixing themes. This was one of the primary draws of Stargate - the curious sci-fi-izing of fantasy elements - and when designing enemies and quests that same sort of techno-mystic allure will really go a long way to keeping players interested in the quests and foes.

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2013, 07:56:00 pm »
Asche here. One of the things I did with Core was condense weapons into broader skills that gave a more tactical choice element to the weapons - if a player had "Blade", he had a Longsword (Average Everything), a Sabre (One-Handed w/Weapon AL) or Axes (Shield Breaking, slower, but damaging) at every level.

Instead of "Boxing", "Sword", and "Ninja", consider offering more realistic melee skills. "Close Combat" for UA, Knives, Knuckles, etc, "Fencing/Swordfighting/[SomethingLikeThat]" for the more archaic melee weapons INCLUDING asian blades, and perhaps a third skill for big two-handed weapons like spears or taser-poles or whatever.
I've always pushed for "Martial Arts" as the UA skill, and instead of having a weapon(never made sense to me that you need a weapon to train UA) have belts.  start with a white belt and go up to black so not a lot of fancy art needed.  as long as you have the skill you can use a belt from any martial arts type:
karate-fast low damage
judo-slow high damage
juijitsu-slow medium damage drains enemy stamina

and higher the belt the more damage you do
You could also do a melee skill that consumed ammo. I've experimented with this before - shock batons that eat up charge cells and the like.
I like the idea of ammo and/or stamina being used for special weapon skills...I've always thought it would be neat if instead of just slashing at 1 monster if you have a bladed weapon you should be able to do a wide slash and hit 2 or 3(never had a thought on how to set it up besides setting it as a magic skill but that causes more problems)

As far as using portals to go from world to world, I think that's a fantastic idea. One of the things you could do especially is rig elevation or climate coding to make certain plants only work in certain elevations/climates (I'm not certain how in-depth climates are in v-whatever-this-is-coded-in). I know Zen once replaced the elevation map with a custom mathmatically generated one - you could have each "Planet" be within a certain elevation area or climate zone so only compatible planets could host that flora.
the idea of having different plants on different worlds has already been discussed and I think we all liked it, but to have a plant only grow on that 1 planet when you can only claim on earth is going to cause trouble with chemistry/pharmacology/whatever skill makes potions...but since hes making them as seperate worlds with floating maps I'm pretty sure he can decide which plants are 'native' to each, but allow them to grow anywhere once harvested.
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Zorb

« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2013, 09:18:20 pm »
You could use names of actual martial arts.
ZEB (and sometiems Zorb)

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2013, 09:51:38 pm »
You could use names of actual martial arts.
as long as you have the skill you can use a belt from any martial arts type:
karate-fast low damage
judo-slow high damage
juijitsu-slow medium damage drains enemy stamina

and higher the belt the more damage you do

psst read my post again ::)

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2013, 01:56:57 am »
had another thought, change locksmithing to security, and add keycards.  if we're starting on a super secret underground military base it would make more sense to have security cards.  you could even add an ID badge that works with /landrights so as long as you have an id badge you can open any door on land you have rights instead of having a bunch of keys(not sure if that will work but would be neat) and anyone with security would be able to make the badge.  also since you're making the other planets stealing planets, anyone with security would also be able to forge keycards/badges and hack security keypads with enough skill, so its still the way locksmithing is now.

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2013, 11:39:46 am »
I like the keycard idea. Someone want to draw them up for me please? :)
For V4 I was gonna add auto-key usage if you bumped a door. I may be able to do something in V2.

I been working on the stargate and how to dial it to an address and activate it.

I like Close Combat, Fencing and Polearms for the 3 melee skills? It covers small, medium and large weapons.

Looking at the modern.files, I see a lot of new ores. Can anyone list them all and what they were used for? Some I looked up like vanadium (or something like that) but I kept running into more and more, heh.

Not sure I mentioned it but about firearms, saw all the different pistols and rifles but it wasn't clear what was good or better, etc. Well, cuz I just don't know anything about the names and brands, etc. So was thinking about some sort of progression, like ore weapons, with the firearms that was more obvious in the name. Like the names I used in Mission, kinda.

Things that affect a firearms damage and range and skill needed:
- caliber: .22, .38, .4, .44, .5, 5.6mm, 9mm, 10mm, 20mm, 30mm, 10gauage, 12gauage, etc, increases damage, decreases range
- gunpowder: low, medium, high (magnum?), increases range, increases skill req
- barrel length: each gun has a base that can expand, this governs range, increases burden
- barrel type: metal barral made from, different metal alloys, increases accurancy, increase burden
- sights: scope, laser, etc, increases accurancy, increase burden
- reload time: cocking, rotary, semi-auto, auto

Also want to code something for ammo clip limits.
Hmm, maybe won't do barrel lengths. Might be way to complicated to code .ini
And proably need to stick with one type of caliber measurement, like just mm

So, instead of a "Baretta" or "AR 15" we would have generic names.
- Semi-Auto 9mm SG Cobalt-Carbide Pistol    (SG = short grain cartridge, gunpower amount)
- Auto 5mm LG Damon-Tungsten Assault Rifle   (LG = long grain cartridge?)

How does that sound?
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2013, 12:40:04 pm »
Oh, forgot about bullets and what they are made from: lead, carbon, tungsten, depleted uranium, explosivve, poison, etc.

EDIT: Or instead of ore barrels just make the entire gun that ore. You could still swap out longer barrels or different caliber barrels. Might be too much variance.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 12:55:54 pm by Mickey Kudlo »

Offline gas

« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2013, 05:08:06 pm »
With such variety in guns mele/xbow/bow/throwing weapons fall short :/
Unless you make missle defense harder to train (dex+quick/4 or /5 even?) and/or add variety to basic types liek merge for example mace and staff bonuses and scythe/sword/dagger etc.

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2013, 05:46:35 pm »
lol way to overcomplicate simplifying...

for weapons focus on size...I remember for pistols UT had small medium and large, then different things you could do to each 1 to improve it.  this is where your idea of sights, scopes, and sighting lasers would come into play.  this gives you lots of room to play around with weapons to get different stuff for different skill levels without needing too many names.  you could also add things like silencers since you're planning to have monsters react to weapon sounds.

for ammo UT had a system of low caliber medium caliber and high caliber rounds along with gold rounds and poisoned rounds for each weapon type.  because of the way the high and medium caliber were made gold rounds(which did more damage) were usually cheaper.  so that needs a work around so all round types are priced based on the damage they do.

as far as barrel lengths are concerned, rifles are longer so they have more range, do more damage, and are more accurate than pistols.  a pistol would fire faster than an average rifle(not talking assault rifles here) and a blend of that would be your sub machine guns...so you have smg as your middle basic weapon rifles for range and damage, and pistols for faster shots.  not sure you really need clips and clip limits(there was never anything limitting ammo for missle classes before besides strength).

also I don't think you should have any "cocking" to do in a modern/futuristic blend of a stargate style server.  single action revolvers went out of style in the 1800's :P

@Gas if you have a sword/xbow/bow/throwing axe and you'e attacking a guy with a gun you're going to get shot in the face...its simple.  there really is no need to balance it out because of the simple fact that with so many missle weapons people aren't going to train melee def as much and people with melee weapons will still have that advantage in pk.

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2013, 03:27:19 am »
more ideas to make this unique(don't get too mad at me):

new items:

instead of the same old stair images how about elevators?  use metal bars(thinking it should be steel, but seems too advanced for this) on cave entrance above ground only(or top floor only if you're really making surface inaccessable) to get elevator shaft, use gears on elevator shaft to get elevator frame, use metal cord on elevator frame to get elevator...and you have an elevator down to each level and choose which floor you go to when you use it(use hand or double click and get a popup box with multi-choice).

flood/spotlights instead of fire braziers...set it up use a large battery on it for power and it gives off a large amount of light.

drone built with some of those engineering skills. not really sure what the usages should be to make it, but I'm thinking it should have an aluminum frame so its light and fast.  should be heavy(2k burden?) and single usage, adds full map of your current sector.  would be really helpful your first trip to a new planet so you don't go run into an ocean and waste a full trip.

new skills:

photography:  equip camera in weapon spot and attack get a picture, can sell pictures to collector guy(intelligence officer?).  camera should have less range than agro range of monsters...and I guess polaroid style would be best, and add camera and film to new item list lol

injecting: not really a new skill more of a change in first aid and adding lethal usages.  use a needle on a XXX potion to get XXX filled needle(can be a life/cure/stamina potion or even some type of poison or biological agent) use XXX filled needle on player/monster.  needless to say filled needles shouldn't be stackable because you could F12 a person/monster to death in a second...

new potions(to fill those needles):

stamina renewal potion-adds stam renewal instead of just recovering stam

life renewal potion-adds life renewal instead of just recovering life

ricin-small damage when injected then poison effect

anthrax-big damage on injection then poison effect

Offline gas

« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2013, 04:56:19 am »
I like photography however it can be used instead of assess i think. You take a picture of a monster/player (time of taking a pict. is determined on skill and monster lvl). You give to npc and he reveals stats of certain monster.

Another idea for skill:

Nuclear engineering -you can build hadron colliders which produce uncommon (probably not existing in environment) chemical elements ( with short half-life decay time so you better hurry using once you produce it) .Usage for these elements can be vast:
-bombs - extremly heavy,slow but huge dmg/range
-power plants
-weapon/ammo boosters- radioavtive parts will generate additional unresistable dmg(unless one wearing a scafander)- can replace poison if you want( or not necessary)
-further production of new chemical parts to increase usage beyond this

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2013, 11:27:27 am »
@Greatest

Was thinking about elevators too but the doors open to basically a warp room that warps anything in the room to whatever floor you chat or set on the elevator control then the door opens up. Would be script controlled. This kinda idea would also apply to any transport vehicle: train, planes, space ships, etc. We still need stairs tho.

I already added an electric powered wall light. Braziers would be found off world tho. Plan portable electric lights too.

Drones would be tames I think that you build/buy. You can have them enter the stargate then well, not sure. Maybe do something like admins have, the shadowing of players. At least for now, "One of your tames has died." would give you a clue weather to jump into the gate, heh.

Not sure about photography. Maybe could tag the data with the X, Y and Z coords to give it meaning/value.

Injecting just falls under the Medic skill really. Self-injectors anyone can use but aren't as effective. A medic can use a real injector to get like double/triple the results or more, I think.

Just realized we should have Biology skill. I thought Chemistry would cover in-organic and organic mixing but not sure now. Plant chemistry and ore chemistry are different enough to separate I think. Unless someone can come up with a kewl name that includes both like ... "Mixology" hahaha. Plus what about mixing organic with in-organic elements to get stuff? bleh. We should just have one then. Chemistry should cover it. Biology is more animal life anyways.

Don't forget nano-poison and radiation poison :)

@gas

Nuclear Engineer really just falls under Engineering otherwise we would have many different engineering types like electrical, astronomy, plumbing, civil, software, alien tech, etc.

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2013, 05:36:55 pm »
pharmacology would cover all of it whether its organic or not...think I mentioned it before but my posts are too long so I'm not going back to check.

as far as drones, I sort of had a different thought in my head.  sending a tame through to check is 1 thing, using an item in your inventory after you're already through is another.  I always start with 10 quickness so it takes me a while to get anywhere and get a good map, but if I could use a drone to see whats around I could look at the map and see if there are buildings in one direction(and know to avoid it) or if there are plants in another direction and head straight there to harvest...

your point of sending a tame through first has me wondering now, will there be predesignated gate adresses where we can travel or will we have to figure them out through trial and error?  if by trial and error will there be gates to places where we can't survive?  I mean if you watched the original stargate movie you remember all the crap Daniel went through trying to get the first adress to open...and then through out the series there were some weird things that happened to them(like the black hole episode).

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2013, 03:39:45 am »
hey I found some of uncle UT's old images(don't ask where) but they're larger than max upload size to add as attachments here...bug Jon about that

I don't have all his old images, but I found some tools weapons and armors you could use.  I would email you what I found but I forgot your email adress ???

Offline Aurora

« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2013, 11:57:15 pm »
Xenology is the study of foreign stuff, like aliens.  Xeno- is a nice sounding prefix.
-RPGWO-
VRZ Staff - Staff - Xerxes - lvl 28 - Retired
Aurora - Mage - Asylum - lvl 37 - Retired
Borealis - Mage - Pyramid - lvl 23 - Retired
Borealis - Mage - Claytonia - lvl 15 - Retired
Aurora - Mage - Phantasy - lvl 7 - Retired
-League of Legends-
Auronon

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2013, 07:40:55 am »
did Mickey forget about us again?

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2013, 11:45:52 am »
@Greatest, no I haven't forgot. I do have UT's files so don't worry about that. I did say I wasn't sure about this project being worth the time and energy which is why I haven't fully committed and therefore am kinda off and on working on it.

And I bought a Nexus 10 so have been distracted by that, heh.

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2013, 05:02:38 am »
fully commit or else...you'll make me cry

don't read the fine print

Offline Pokemon Steve

« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2013, 09:14:47 pm »
Don't waste your time. The game needs fixes before new world.