Author Topic: 2 Modern World Ideas  (Read 4749 times)

Offline Mickey Kudlo

2 Modern World Ideas
« on: October 24, 2012, 12:30:09 pm »
I really want to do a modern world but if players want the normal fantasy world instead then OK, I'll do something.

But here are 2 ideas for a modern world I came up with:

1 - Basically the "Predators" movie. Throw the players on a jungle planet with other captive aliens and be hunted by Predator aliens. This idea seems more like a short term Mission world than a longer term world. But if players could build a fort some where and maintain it then it gives some longevity to it. But this idea would fit well the content of the modern worlds with all sorts of aliens and odd monsters plus mazes and traps and wrecks and ruins would all fit in the "story". But I realized this idea is very similar to the first Mission world, Raptor Island. This idea wouldn't require any programming but would need an active admin to add NPCs as players build shops for them.

2 - The entire map is.... a city! A 1000x1000 urban city with roads, sidewalks, buildings, sewers, subway system, etc. It would have plenty of land/houses/property to claim plus a lot unclaimable PLOT. Players then could demolish the land or keep it as is, whatever. NPC citizens would be present too. A lot of them, even setup with schedules like sleep in house, goto job, goto diner to eat then goto home to sleep, etc. Was thinking of creating an NPC economy of needs like food, clothing, etc that the NPCs use that way players can provide it for them. Would give a use for skills like Tailor, Carpentry (furniture), etc. The economy would be script driven using the global, saved script variables. So, if an NPC is alive, when the script is processed, it would reduce the food variable. Not sure what happens if NPC needs aren't met. Maybe they riot or die off or pillage players land, heh. I need to spend some time designing and fleshing out this idea. It would require programming for sure and I am willing to do it. Also, could attach floating maps that have wilderness for hunting, etc. The city would have plenty for combat: sewers, crime areas, events, special complexes (umbrella corp?), crime organizations, etc. Also thinking about implementing Prestige into this somehow so people can be good or outlaw.

OK, so just looking for some feedback.
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
Re: 5 Modern World Ideas
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 01:03:36 pm »
1 sounds like traders would just get killed right off the bat...

2 meh I like building my own crap

or since you want modern but not basic modern

3 go post apocolyptic, can add some ruins/partially destroyed cities if you want, but leave most of the map for players to do what they want, bombed out so nothing there, but plants are starting to regrow

4 stranded on a deserted island(like in lost but with no plot, well lost didn't have a plot but you know what I mean) can have a ship/plane wreck as 'town' area and let us go from there

5 you know those crazy cult people who move out in the woods and wait for the world to end?  could do a thing like that
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline mechanical keyboard enthusiast

• Attack: 3682
    Defense: 2735
    Attack Member
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 25
    Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
Re: 2 Modern World Ideas
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 01:06:21 pm »
1 - Traders would die
2 - Is it something like plots of land available inside of the city with access to roads and stuff? Instead of a plot city and then everyone claims one sector away?

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 03:16:47 pm »
Traders can just build themselves a house/safezone?

2 good concepts, I like it.

Offline Pokemon Steve

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 03:46:02 pm »
Scrap the idea of traders always being separate from fighters.
Redo stats so they play a bigger role in skills.
Balance stats/skills so that you can build your character around tradeskills as well as combat skills.

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 04:13:27 pm »
The Predator idea would be tough for traders at first which is why I am seeing it more as a Mission style world now.

The City idea would be like a checkered board of PLOT and unclaimed. You claim or really, you buy the property and whatever is already built on it. Probably have "For Sale" signs that disappear when you claim it.

Pretty much all the unclaimed land would be connected or next to a road.

Once you own it, you can tear it all down or use it as you want. Of course, unclaimed land is still usable so you can go and tear down places and get the material for your own use.

The city idea would be a traders paradise with all sorts of "quests" to do.

I like the "Lost" idea. Could have magic too kinda and weird creatures and aliens.

Scrap the idea of traders always being separate from fighters.
Redo stats so they play a bigger role in skills.
Balance stats/skills so that you can build your character around tradeskills as well as combat skills.

Any specific idea on how to do that? other than give players more skill points I guess.

Offline peetered

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 10:44:52 pm »
You could make the city idea like a factions system, either automatic joining or player choice.

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 04:54:35 am »
The City idea would be like a checkered board of PLOT and unclaimed. You claim or really, you buy the property and whatever is already built on it. Probably have "For Sale" signs that disappear when you claim it.

Pretty much all the unclaimed land would be connected or next to a road.

Once you own it, you can tear it all down or use it as you want. Of course, unclaimed land is still usable so you can go and tear down places and get the material for your own use.

The city idea would be a traders paradise with all sorts of "quests" to do.

when you say checkered board are you talking 1 land plot surrounded on all sides by plot land or a few plots grouped together?  would kind of suck to only be able to  work 1 plot and have to go through a bunch of trouble to get around plot land...if its a few grouped together(4,9,16,25) that could work fine.

are you going to turn off decay so plots that don't get claimed won't just turn into ruins?

after the explanation I like the city idea, but not as much as the shipwrecked idea.  I had a few thoughts about gilligan's island after I posted that earlier, the professor always made neat stuff on that island...

Offline Sacrifice

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 10:06:26 am »
Do what you will but make sure there are nukes :3 I like rpgwo explosions.

Offline yeahs

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 08:56:02 am »
I just want a modern world asap. release anything then work out the kinks

Offline yeahs

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 08:59:38 am »
The players vs x is a good idea like the mission servers. You need to create incentive to actually team up though. The faction server was good because you had 5+ players working in the same faction land trying to progress faster than the other team. Would there actually be a need to team up in this server?

Offline Gibraldi

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 10:39:09 am »

Well your wish might be granted, I am trying to reach a host to host the last modern world files for V2. There's kinks and stuff I want to change but it is a ready world, it has already ran a server so I know the files are ready for people, I just need a host and make some maps

Offline yeahs

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 10:46:13 am »

Well your wish might be granted, I am trying to reach a host to host the last modern world files for V2. There's kinks and stuff I want to change but it is a ready world, it has already ran a server so I know the files are ready for people, I just need a host and make some maps

You should make the world smaller maybe 5x5, with pk like all the modern worlds

Offline Ommas

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 11:01:03 am »
i would like to play now please

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 10:22:27 am »
I'd also like to make 2 requests for this server:

1: no unearthed graves!  we traders prefer our safety, its why we build big walls and hardly ever venture out.  the trade off for this is that we get less xp than fighters.  if you make this instant death for a miner(I usually only have 10 quickness so I can have more stats that actually count for my skills so running from monsters isn't easy) then we're getting screwed over pretty big!

2: no 'clones'!  I never got the reason behind calling them clones, as a trader I have 10 attack they have atleast 50(if you're forced to get defenses they have attack = to your defense), if its a good server where I'm not forced to take defenses then I have 10 defense, again they'll have 50.  so if they're me and have 5 times my attack and defense something isn't right...and then there are 5 of them!

these are 2 things that are basicly just designed to kill traders, and most people who play as traders do it partly because of the safety(atleast its 1 of my reason).  so please don't add these things :D

Offline gas

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 04:28:21 pm »
So,you want immortality in underground as a trader?I think macro-miners will dominate this server in a while

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 06:34:19 pm »
So,you want immortality in underground as a trader?
we have to leave our homes to gather things, such as seeds and animals.  we can also still freeze or starve to death so we won't be immortal!  guess my point is the average person doesn't face such strange types of death going about their daily life/job.

fighters get more xp than traders because more risk = more reward, but with clones and unearthed graves traders face bigger risk(since they can't even defend against those things) and get very little xp compared to fighters...basicly means we have the same risk but no reward, does that seem fair to you?

Offline Sorinn

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 10:40:23 pm »
I like the idea of buildings already being present, but increase the non-plot decay of walls, roads, etc.
If you have certain buildings have the ability to have elevators or something similar, u could purchase floors for a large sum of money or prestige as u mentioned.
faction idea could work as maybe a Gang related thing and/or an Organization setup
       rival gangs fight for land.
       companies fight for the right of certain resources.

u could mix the city/post-apocalypse ideas by having the city being the only safe haven in the world.
this would cause the companies to need to branch out and gather supplies.   have fighters go past city limits (probably in floating maps) and discover checkpoints.
the checkpoints could each hold a resource at random.  maybe within the company, only certain resources can be used.

possibly to counter that, the resource checkpoints could also be discovered by individuals, causing them to have access to the resource.  This, I think, would boost the player economy because that individual would have to barter/sell that resource.   

I think it would be cool to have 1 GOLD resource, 1 IRON, 1 Sapphire, and so on when it comes to ores.
1 resource for wood
another for fish

the reason i would think resources being owned by one person/group would be because they are hard to find in the wild due to the harshness of the world outside of the city.  It would also increase the need for player trade.

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 10:56:30 am »
hmm I see where you're coming from with limitting resources, but in a post apocolyptic style world where almost everything lies in ruin there will still be all these mass produced resources(since you mentioned things like iron and gems) with absolutely no market for them...salvaging and looting should get you almost everything you need(except long term food supplies)

I do like most of the gang idea...could set up guilds that way

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2012, 01:24:38 pm »
I decided that me making a modern world was too much work in V2 with such a low player population. I really wanted to make the full city but my initial planning and building showed me there was just waaaaaay to much work to do that I would rather invest in V4 later. There is still a V2 modern world in the works by others though.

So, I am focusing back on the fantasy world I am calling "Phantasy" (sorry Gimpy). Gonna spend November making it. Fixing and adding content and building it up with a newb and mainland. Probably open it up December 1st or there abouts.