Author Topic: Combat Messages  (Read 2580 times)

Offline Mickey Kudlo

Combat Messages
« on: October 04, 2012, 05:35:37 pm »
Don't like the combat messages "you attack giant roach for 5 damage!" showing up in chat.

What should I do or where should they go?

- place it outside of chat box, centered, maybe coming down from top, starting below life/mana bars?
- get rid of text, just have floating numbers of damage over target, red for damage, yellow "0" for a miss, green for heals

Or what?

And should I add life bars to units on the map? Well, I am gonna do this anyways to see how it looks.
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Jon The Great

Re: Combat Messages
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 06:05:18 pm »
Lifebars might be neat depending on how it looks.
Maybe cartoon popup when u hit someone says like -45 damage in red in small bubble.

Offline Kaios

• Attack: 69
    Defense: 58
    Attack Member
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 44
    Badges: (View All)
    50 Poll Votes 10 Poll Votes Invisible
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 07:32:03 pm »
- get rid of text, just have floating numbers of damage over target, red for damage, yellow "0" for a miss, green for heals

I like this but can't you just have it say "miss" for a miss? You do get hit for 0 by some things, like rose bushes and stuff. At least in v1/v2.
(Insert witty signature here)

Offline Jon The Great

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 07:39:49 pm »

I like this but can't you just have it say "miss" for a miss? You do get hit for 0 by some things, like rose bushes and stuff. At least in v1/v2.
+1

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 08:32:23 pm »
and 3 misses in a row it says 'you suck' instead of 'miss' :D

I've always wondered why it was text anyway...I do like some of the messages with weirder weapons(can't remember what server, but I remember some type of explosive weapon that had a funny message) but it was never really enough to have it as text.  are you going to do buffs/debuffs the same way?(blue for buffs orange/black for debuffs)
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 11:14:53 am »
Does it matter if you know who attacked you then? Cuz, you could be PK, in town (or where ever) with a group of ppl, then all of a sudden you start taking damage. How do you know who did it? Even going by the attack animation, everyone could be engaged with monsters so you would never know who until the "Kaios killed you!" msg showed up.

I like the floating damage but we need a "from who" indicator. Maybe their avatar would flash red or just give one text msg "Kaios attacked you!"
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 03:08:22 pm »
how about a small arrow indicator on your avatar showing from which direction the damage is coming from

Offline Kaios

• Attack: 69
    Defense: 58
    Attack Member
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 44
    50 Poll Votes 10 Poll Votes Invisible
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 04:50:58 pm »
Does it matter if you know who attacked you then? Cuz, you could be PK, in town (or where ever) with a group of ppl, then all of a sudden you start taking damage. How do you know who did it? Even going by the attack animation, everyone could be engaged with monsters so you would never know who until the "Kaios killed you!" msg showed up.

I like the floating damage but we need a "from who" indicator. Maybe their avatar would flash red or just give one text msg "Kaios attacked you!"

chat tabs
(Insert witty signature here)

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 07:57:01 pm »
maybe when you're attacked by a person that person has an image above their head(only shown to person being attacked? though that could cause trouble with group attacks), can think of a few possible examples, but 2 crossed swords seems the best choice...

then again when you get swarmed by monsters you never knew which 1 killed you even with the messages, so chat message only helped in pvp anyway...

another example I can think of(and I'm stealing this straight from HnH) is that when you're attacking/being attacked by someone you have them set in an opponent box in the corner of the screen so you can see who it is
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Mongo

• Attack: 91
    Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

• Total Badges: 29
    Sixth year Anniversary 10 Poll Votes Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 03:26:42 pm »
chat tabs

chat tabs. I would say a small indicator on the screen (a number floating up from the damaged object, color indicating the type of damage, maybe). Plus, add a combat log chat tab so players can review what happened.

Also, super happy you're back to working on this.
Shoop!

Offline yeahs

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 01:01:13 am »
Make the color of the name of the person attacking you different than the combat text so its easier to see who/what