Author Topic: Modern World At First?  (Read 8216 times)

Offline yeahs

Re: Modern World At First?
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2012, 02:28:52 am »
sorry for new post but i love both modern worlds, zombies would be so fun. check out die2nite.com. its a game with max number of moves per day like urban dead. They have a system where you need water everyday to survive or something. Its cool. If you venture out into the wild and dont have enough spaces to get back you have to make a tent or whatever.

I think night should be so dense of zombies that you have to do something similar in rpgwo. Also make the night/day cycle faster to give a sense of urgency? Possibly make the xp slow so you arent just mowing through everything. Mission world with the aliens in the desert is a good example of not being too powerful.

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 11:29:12 am »
I have been doing a lot of "research" on zombie worlds. You know... watching zombie movies, duh. Like resident evil is good but it more of a fighting action instead of survival in a wasteland. The Walking Dead so far is the best example. People trying to survive and deal with the practical issues, like water, food, who stole my cheese, security, rebuilding, etc, which is the aim we are going for.
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Mongo

• Attack: 91
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

• Total Badges: 29
    Badges: (View All)
    Sixth year Anniversary 10 Poll Votes Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 11:57:23 am »
Just don't try to apply logic to zombies.. trying to explain the science behind them. It just never works.

Any creature that has chunks of flesh missing .. probably not circulating any blood, potential missing heart/lungs/brain, there's no oxygen to run the muscles and brain.. also, what desire would they have to come after people? To eat their flesh and brains .. when most of them don't even have a digestive tract or a stomach .. no way to get nutrients, no organs to use them.

The only time I've seen something work is when an "infection" changes the behavior of PEOPLE and they start attacking others. That could make scientific sense.. but they're not really "zombies".

If you just keep it as "Yes, they are undead creatures that want to kill you - stop thinking about it", I think all will be good.
Shoop!

Offline yeahs

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2012, 04:58:32 pm »
Just don't try to apply logic to zombies.. trying to explain the science behind them. It just never works.

Any creature that has chunks of flesh missing .. probably not circulating any blood, potential missing heart/lungs/brain, there's no oxygen to run the muscles and brain.. also, what desire would they have to come after people? To eat their flesh and brains .. when most of them don't even have a digestive tract or a stomach .. no way to get nutrients, no organs to use them.

The only time I've seen something work is when an "infection" changes the behavior of PEOPLE and they start attacking others. That could make scientific sense.. but they're not really "zombies".

If you just keep it as "Yes, they are undead creatures that want to kill you - stop thinking about it", I think all will be good.

You could say that they are infected with a virus that makes them rabid. They probably dont need to eat things anyway, they just have an eating disorder or something is wrong with their genes, like a mixture of these 2 :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pica_%28disorder%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prader%E2%80%93Willi_syndrome

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2012, 05:25:06 pm »
I never saw "I Am Legend". Was that a mutant or zombie thing or what?

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2012, 06:01:11 pm »
zombies, and that movie sucked ass!

you're not watching the best zombie movies for your research you should watch Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead, and other stuff like that...remember its a game, keep it fun :P

Also make food scarce, zombie games are all about survival and if you make 1k beef jerkies its not that fun unless you can pk. If you want to add a faction type feature where if you die to a zombie you become a zombie with a max run speed or something.
food shouldn't be scarce, there is always tons of food around in zombie movies, people are just reluctant to eat it...however I'm not the type who would starve to death when theres a weak member of my group who isn't contributing and bashing him/her in the head with a rock gives me food which gives me strength and energy to improve my situation

since I'm sure Mickey won't add cannibalism to the game(or will he?), then we need other food sources!
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline yeahs

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2012, 07:36:42 pm »
the idea is realism imo. Modern worlds were actually considered hard compared to steeltide etc because of the slow exp and how complex crafting was. The best world imo. Food should be scavenged, and for advanced chars only, farming and breeding animals. Too much food and supplies lieing around will ruin the world, i cant emphasize that enough. I think cows should be scarce and dont spawn often, almost like damon. You should have to tame them and breed them with a regulated breed time. Farming should be slower and harder with less seed production. Only the most dedicated players should have farms of food. In world of warcraft they have added farming (lols) and they have a system where you have to water and use pesticides etc.  Possibly make some harvests not generate any seeds. Selling seeds and food supplies would make the games economy interesting. The walking dead game has a good storyline about this.

Make cooldowns. The syringe idea you have is a good example. Maybe you can use a syringe on wildlife or plants once a day to remove the "zombie virus" from them giving you a clean item or animal to breed.

Make skills cost more points or make leveling slower. We dont want super characters in this type of world, monsters are too easy to outsmart for super characters to be allowed ruining the immersion of a scary zombie world. Increase the density of monsters, possibly make the spawn points all over the map opposed to patches in the middle of sections of the sector. (this should also be done in all worlds to give a better flow for leveling, your leveling shouldnt be restricted by the spawn rate of monsters.)

For atmosphere i agree with light being a factor. Also lots of green colors

thats all i have for now
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 07:40:15 pm by yeahs »

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2012, 09:10:03 pm »
the idea is realism imo.
you can have realism or you can have zombies...you can't have both! 

the point of the server shouldn't be to make the players have to grind for the basics, but to be a fun game to play!  if a zombie outbreak ever does happen who would be out struggling to survive to get food and water?  trying not to be eaten is way higher on the list of things to worry about...in a large city you may have those types of problems but in most areas(where you'd actually be able to survive something like this more than a couple days) there are many ways to get food and water...boil water from a river/lake/swimming pool/fountain, hunt animals, forage plants, raid/loot stores, visit your nearest farm and slit a pig's throat(there are tons of hog farms not far from where I live and dairy farms not too much farther away and I'm a hunter so...).  however you do it food isn't going to be a really huge thing early on like stuff you can catch from drinking dirty water will be(again boil the water first I already said that).  if it does get to a point where food is a rare commodity again bash a guy in the head with a rock, but:
since I'm sure Mickey won't add cannibalism to the game(or will he?), then we need other food sources!

also I hate games that limit what you can do, the 'you get 5 moves a day' type games...they're for pansies who don't like playing games that get competitive, and RPGWO has always been and hopefully always will be competitive!

Offline yeahs

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2012, 12:35:53 am »
Those pigs need to be fed to stay alive. In a zombie apocloypse i doubt people will be handing out their livestock. Wild animals should be limited to promote breedin, an underused used task in rpgwo. You could also give animals levels up to level 10 etc, giving them different food qualities through breeding, giving you the choice of killing some for food or keeping some to breed. I also dont know how you would implement scavenging. I disagree with adding an item spawn like in rpgwo v1 and v2 quests, where you could just camp a spawn for hours and get an item. I also question whether scavenging or foraging should be a skill as they could just farm supplies and food through its use unless you make rare spawns around the world that require it. If you want to get really creative, you could create a new type of food source like soilent green. This would obviously be just a usage item later in the development of the server.

Another way around this food issue would be to just give food quality. Livestock and farming should be only available to dedicated players and advanced characters, and the food would provide higher "quality food". These foods could give you some sort of stat bonus. Lower quality foods could either give you just a hunger boost or stat loss. All foods would give hunger boost.

Adding onto that, you could have a "infection meter" that fills up after certain tasks. If you eat tainted meat, you gain 60%+ infection meter. This infection meter should decay very slowly and insert any skill or items you want to modify this.

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2012, 11:52:23 am »
Those pigs need to be fed to stay alive. In a zombie apocloypse i doubt people will be handing out their livestock. Wild animals should be limited to promote breedin, an underused used task in rpgwo. You could also give animals levels up to level 10 etc, giving them different food qualities through breeding, giving you the choice of killing some for food or keeping some to breed.

Everything on the mainland will be infected such that it is either a zombie or a mutant, including livestock. Anything zombie is dead, rotten meat and useless to sell or eat. We could have it poison a player if they desperate to eat it. Mutants are able to be saved but need a cure injection. Once back to normal, they can be bred and slaughtered for meat safely. Plus they would need a cure shot every so often to keep from being reinfected similar to players. So, only the successfully, dedicated player will be able to afford doing this.

Keep in mind, the market on Haven (about 1000-2000 people) will have various needs and wants from players on mainland. So the value of items will rise and fall with supply and demand. Fresh, safe meat I think will always be in good demand though, so ranchers should do well and earn plenty of credits to buy more cure, maybe even a cheaper livestock only cure.

I also dont know how you would implement scavenging. I disagree with adding an item spawn like in rpgwo v1 and v2 quests, where you could just camp a spawn for hours and get an item.

Scavenging isn't the right word but it is kinda both, split up...

Salvage : Use crowbar on car wreckage to get scrap iron. (the better your skill the better items can be salvaged like an engine, radio, etc. I think it will popup a list of all the items you see in the wreckage but depending on your skill is what you can actually pull out)

Forage: Search trash pile to find plastic water bottle.  (the better your skill the better items are found, random somewhat)

The spawns for these and normal item spawns should be limited so you can't camp them. But the problem with limited spawn count is all the beginning players will get all the goodies and anyone that shows up later will have nothing or have to venture out farther at greater risk to find anything thus newbies become discouraged and quit. So, thinking that spawns should have a personal count for each player (or login account) that way it will always be there for any newb whenever they start up plus anyone who restarts a new player maybe. Then camping is useless but I can see some special spawns being unlimited but maybe only spawn once per day and still other spawns having an absolute limit.

I also question whether scavenging or foraging should be a skill as they could just farm supplies and food through its use unless you make rare spawns around the world that require it. If you want to get really creative, you could create a new type of food source like soilent green. This would obviously be just a usage item later in the development of the server.

Another way around this food issue would be to just give food quality. Livestock and farming should be only available to dedicated players and advanced characters, and the food would provide higher "quality food". These foods could give you some sort of stat bonus. Lower quality foods could either give you just a hunger boost or stat loss. All foods would give hunger boost.

Adding onto that, you could have a "infection meter" that fills up after certain tasks. If you eat tainted meat, you gain 60%+ infection meter. This infection meter should decay very slowly and insert any skill or items you want to modify this.

Adding Quality to items in V1/V2 was always on my list but never happened. Well, it sort of happened with weapons and armor in that they need repairing but low "quality" never changed the effectiveness of the equipment. Would like to add it to V4. It would be like a sword going dull or a gun needing cleaning or with food, the better quality (less rotten) the more you get out of it. Quality would also affect price. And items could have over 100% and give more damage or protection, etc.

I think a lot of food growing and production/processing will go to feed the Haven Market and not just players. Actually giving players a good reason to spend the time farming (plough, plant, water, harvest, etc).

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2012, 09:26:51 pm »
earn plenty of credits to buy more cure, maybe even a cheaper livestock only cure.
so this won't be something we'll eventually be able to make ourselves?  as a cheapskate(we've gone over this before) I think all items in game should be craftable by someone with the right skills, or a group of people working together who each have part of the skills needed.

The spawns for these and normal item spawns should be limited so you can't camp them. But the problem with limited spawn count is all the beginning players will get all the goodies and anyone that shows up later will have nothing or have to venture out farther at greater risk to find anything thus newbies become discouraged and quit. So, thinking that spawns should have a personal count for each player (or login account) that way it will always be there for any newb whenever they start up plus anyone who restarts a new player maybe. Then camping is useless but I can see some special spawns being unlimited but maybe only spawn once per day and still other spawns having an absolute limit.
think I tossed this out there before but can't remember...what if places things spawn was random like monster spawns with finite uses based on size/type.  so as an example you could salvage more times from a car(10-20?) than you could from an old broken radio(1-2?), and since these items won't be there forever no point claiming them.  this way there would always be something around for new players, but older players won't just claim a spawn to keep anyone else from getting it since it will go poof soon...meaning no way to camp a salvaged resource

Adding Quality to items in V1/V2 was always on my list but never happened. Well, it sort of happened with weapons and armor in that they need repairing but low "quality" never changed the effectiveness of the equipment. Would like to add it to V4. It would be like a sword going dull or a gun needing cleaning or with food, the better quality (less rotten) the more you get out of it. Quality would also affect price. And items could have over 100% and give more damage or protection, etc.

I think a lot of food growing and production/processing will go to feed the Haven Market and not just players. Actually giving players a good reason to spend the time farming (plough, plant, water, harvest, etc).
I hope you don't go too overboard with quality...if you've ever played HnH you'll see how quality can be a bad thing(but it sounds ok the way you're talking about it so far)

Offline Milo

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2012, 10:52:28 pm »
really cool that your working on v4 mickey!

i wish you best of luck
Trololol

Offline Milo

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2012, 11:20:29 pm »
no moar posts?
Trololol

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2012, 10:51:31 am »
no moar posts?

Taking a break in order to open a V2 world soon.

Offline Milo

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2012, 07:38:00 pm »
oh awesome, i cant wait for phantasy then.
Trololol

Offline Milo

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2012, 08:17:16 pm »
cool 2 days left :P
Trololol