Author Topic: Item and spell area of affect?  (Read 5098 times)

Offline Duregar

Item and spell area of affect?
« on: September 03, 2012, 10:23:48 am »
Im wondering if there is a way to make spells and items AoE?

I was looking thru the item and uses ini's and i dont see a way to affect where the item affect occurs or how large that area is or a way to define it

as an example

x <-----player
  yyy <------------area affected by tool when used in south direction

x <-------player
    y   
   yy   <-------cone affect for spell
 yyyy

is such a thing possible under the current coding of v2?

Offline Gibraldi

Re: Item and spell area of affect?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 10:54:28 am »
This is possible with itemuses yes if you use a temp invisible object that destroys itself after one tick if you know how the successitems 1-10 are spawned

I believe the order is:

but don't quote me on that

Offline Duregar

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 02:26:11 pm »
So the invisible object would have to b spawned in areas that you dont want to affect? Or is it the invisible object is the center of the target area?

Offline Gibraldi

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 04:43:52 pm »
you'd have to spawn 8 objects for the desired effect in your first post, item 3, 1 & 8 being the item you want, the others (2, 4, 5, 6 & &) would be invisible, do keep in mind you have to remove this invisible object first and until it is removed it can affect uses on that spot

Offline Duregar

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 11:25:45 pm »
Ok understood
Is it possible to center that 3x3 area on something other then player position?
  X

For instance?

Offline Gibraldi

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 12:08:40 am »
the range tag could be of use, though it'll focus on the use position, not the player, so 1 will be the square you applied the use on

Offline Duregar

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 12:11:53 am »
Nice ill have to play with that n see how it works
Thanks for your time gibraldi

Offline Gibraldi

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 05:59:13 pm »
no problem, do keep in mind the limitations, you can only do this with the successitem, therefore this is only useful for uses on the ground (like ploughing), also do keep in mind this can be done at any square within range=range from the player and will give the same result

so lets say range=1 (default) x=player, y=square use is performed, z=resulting effect with the item (ignore the invisible for this):

x    x
  y  zzz

y  zzz
  x    x

xy  xzz  (with another object underneath the player)

do keep this in mind, I see this as a limitation myself but I don't know what you intend to use it for

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 06:57:24 am »
I know nothing of area of effect items(except explosives used in modern worlds which could be the same style) but there are some aoe magics.  maybe you could look at the inis for spells like magic wall 2 that have the multiple pieces and try to figure it out from there...
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 08:21:15 am »
magic wall is a spawn item and amount, guess you could do that with items that have stand damage that 'rot' after 1 tick...easiest workaround I can think of for this

edit: forgot firestorm, til I had already posted, it works by spawning magical items too...so the way to do it with magic is already there, guess items are the tricky part :-\
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 08:22:58 am by Greatest »

Offline Gibraldi

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 12:39:56 pm »
I wouldn't necessarily call it tricky, but it is extremely limited because of the way itemuses are done. There is no way to check if item x is near the square you performed the use to perform the use on all instances of x within the use's AoE. This limits you to multiplough type of uses and even then the AoE is only one square around the square you perform the use on.

Offline Duregar

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 04:52:28 pm »
no problem, do keep in mind the limitations, you can only do this with the successitem, therefore this is only useful for uses on the ground (like ploughing), also do keep in mind this can be done at any square within range=range from the player and will give the same result

so lets say range=1 (default) x=player, y=square use is performed, z=resulting effect with the item (ignore the invisible for this):

x    x
  y  zzz

y  zzz
  x    x

xy  xzz  (with another object underneath the player)

do keep this in mind, I see this as a limitation myself but I don't know what you intend to use it for

i had two intentions for this

one was tools with an area of affect such as a plough seeder and harvester which this should work for as they are used on a certain area
id like to do a pick type item as well but since it works on autopilot more or less im not sure how that can be accomplished

the second was spells something similar to firestorm but i dont like the randomness of that one i was looking for something more along the lines of a cone type affect more akin to a wizard spell  or an area affect like a sleep or stun spell in most medieval fantasy mmo's

the idea was something more along the lines of say burning hands in DDO where it affects immediately in front of caster in a cone shape for like 3 or 4 spaces range and gradually increases in size as it gets further away

Offline Duregar

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 04:59:17 pm »
I know nothing of area of effect items(except explosives used in modern worlds which could be the same style) but there are some aoe magics.  maybe you could look at the inis for spells like magic wall 2 that have the multiple pieces and try to figure it out from there...

I did
A spell like firestorm basically generates a random spawn of magic fire , which i believe the area is completely random and determined to some degree by the number of spawns it creates
level 1 produces less of them then say lev 3 but from what i can see by testing it so far is that the spawns are placed randomly and i would like to be able to control where they are produced

like for instance lets say i have a new spell called blade storm or something like that
the effect i would like to see for something like that  is along the lines of the black magic spell that does slice damage but instead of it being single target at a range of 5 id like it to be like say range 2  but affecting a 2x2 block within that range at level one

Offline Duregar

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 05:03:02 pm »
I wouldn't necessarily call it tricky, but it is extremely limited because of the way itemuses are done. There is no way to check if item x is near the square you performed the use to perform the use on all instances of x within the use's AoE. This limits you to multiplough type of uses and even then the AoE is only one square around the square you perform the use on.

and for multi plough type items i think that would b sufficient although for a modern type world i'd like to see that expanded somewhat if i ever had the notion to make say a tractor type item for plowing seeding and harvesting

the pick is tougher though since it works by walking and i didnt really see a way immeditely obvious to me to expand its affect to that 3x3 square

Offline Gibraldi

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 05:34:02 pm »
We had a jackhammer on modern worlds, it gave 3 ore however it'd only mine one square so basically you just got three times as much ore for the same area you mine

Offline Gibraldi

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 08:33:31 pm »
I'd also like to add that as far as I know, all items are spawned following a certain pattern, even tames (I don't know if you are familiar with card casting on modern worlds) spawn according to this same pattern, it always goes in "rings" (technically they're squares) starting at the top left, going down, then the next column down and so on so lets say you spawn 26 items or monsters (I'll use alphabet for this) then this will be the order:

z
 joqsu
 kbegv
 lcahw
 mdfix
 nprty

a bit messy but if you can read it you get the idea, every item will be spawned according to this pattern so if you can spawn invisible items that rot fast along with the actual item you want in your shape you could technically achieve this, however this is theoretical and I don't think anyone has ever tried it before

Offline Duregar

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 11:04:53 am »
I'd also like to add that as far as I know, all items are spawned following a certain pattern, even tames (I don't know if you are familiar with card casting on modern worlds) spawn according to this same pattern, it always goes in "rings" (technically they're squares) starting at the top left, going down, then the next column down and so on so lets say you spawn 26 items or monsters (I'll use alphabet for this) then this will be the order:

z
 joqsu
 kbegv
 lcahw
 mdfix
 nprty

a bit messy but if you can read it you get the idea, every item will be spawned according to this pattern so if you can spawn invisible items that rot fast along with the actual item you want in your shape you could technically achieve this, however this is theoretical and I don't think anyone has ever tried it before

I was aware of this pattern due to the raising and lowering of land and as a player when making items that dont drop in inventory, however, the spawns for firestorm dont seem to follow this pattern and im not exactly sure why. I tried casting it warping to a new area and casting again and the fire pattern changes. Im guessing the coding randomness=20 is the reason but im not sure.

Will removing that line lock in that pattern you illustrated and allow what your refering to? Also i am not sure how to specify specifically which item spawns in which square? the coding ive seen for firestorm just does 1 of this 10 of that ........ im kind of guessing at this point if i did something like this:

spawnitem=spell affect
spawnquantity= 1
spawnitem=invisible object
spawnquantity= 1
spawnitem= spell affect
spawnquantity=1

that this would place spell affect items in position a and c and leave position b blank? But if that is so ........ how would you compensate for direction? meaning if i code it to spawn a cone of fire to the west, say center on A position and spawn in positions c and l for illustration purposes,  if the range landed on position w would it not spawn fire onto the player casting?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 11:10:55 am by Duregar »

Offline Generic Black Guy

• Attack: 91
    Defense: 89
    Attack Member
  • in it for the lolz
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 26
    Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 01:11:33 pm »
not to derail this thread, but gib, contact me via pm, and lets build a modern world in v2
"Where ever white people go, you damn sure know we will follow."
Black Motto

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 08:03:09 pm »
not to derail this thread, but gib, contact me via pm, and lets build a modern world in v2
ohh hell yea ;D

HnH is getting alittle boring now, its all grind...I've been playing throw away chars(new guy in the middle of no where) for a week or 2 then giving up on them just to keep it fresh