Author Topic: Movement - Animation and Functionality  (Read 8662 times)

Offline Mongo

• Attack: 91
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

• Total Badges: 29
    Badges: (View All)
    Sixth year Anniversary 10 Poll Votes Fifth year Anniversary
Re: Movement - Animation and Functionality
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2012, 11:51:53 am »
granted you can't move as fast backwards as you can forward, but its still more effective than turning around unless you really need to run away from something!
Actually, the force of kicking the ground when running backwards seems to push me faster than when I go forwards, but it may be a skill that's mine alone.

I imagine with less control..
Shoop!

Offline Tokoshoran

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2012, 09:01:36 pm »
granted you can't move as fast backwards as you can forward, but its still more effective than turning around unless you really need to run away from something!
Actually, the force of kicking the ground when running backwards seems to push me faster than when I go forwards, but it may be a skill that's mine alone.
I imagine with less control..
Insomuch as I can't turn while airborne, sure. My feet hit the ground often though and I can turn efficiently. I just can't see where I'm going is all.

Edit: "Often" being more frequently than forward running.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 09:04:15 pm by Tokoshoran »

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2012, 01:58:03 am »
its just a trick your mind plays on you.  when you're going foraward(even at higher speeds in a car for example) you can see exactly where you're going.  you can't see where you're going when moving backwards so even though you can be going much slower it will seem like you're going faster...its 1 of your brains ways of compensating for danger!

2nd part to it, yes with the way the human leg is designed your stride when going backwards is chopped to about 1/2 - 2/3 of when you're going forward.  your feet hit the ground more often because they're not going as far.  [football analogy]its why the cornerback always turns to run with the wide receiver instead of going the whole way backwards...if they could keep up going backwards they'd have a huge advantage by being able to keep an eye on the qb while guarding their player.

there was a thing on sports science about this years ago, maybe you guys should watch more tv!
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Mongo

Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2012, 03:09:27 pm »
Back to my original point .. I wonder if it might be possible to keep the current grid size, but allow the player to move at minute increments inside each grid block. The world grid would be left alone, objects would all be the same size as usual, but it would help prevent movement from feeling so animation-driven.
Shoop!

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2012, 06:18:22 pm »
Back to my original point .. I wonder if it might be possible to keep the current grid size, but allow the player to move at minute increments inside each grid block. The world grid would be left alone, objects would all be the same size as usual, but it would help prevent movement from feeling so animation-driven.

Possible but has lag and bandwidth issues. Every little move gets sent to server for validation then sent out to all clients in visible range. There are ways to optimize that though but it puts trust into the client which can be bad somewhat.
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline yeahs

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2012, 11:00:37 am »
im for sticking with the original run skill

Offline Mongo

Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2012, 12:25:24 pm »
Yes, I could see the constant syncing of small movement increments causing lag... and you can't trust the client to send the information as it is possible for someone to abuse that.

I guess it's not that bad. I haven't loaded up the client in a bit, but if I was to hold right, are there noticeable stops between each movement? If so, I think they should be removed. Holding right should show someone walking at a consistent speed (barring lag), not move, stop move, stop move..
Shoop!

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2012, 05:50:54 am »
whether holding down a button or right clicking to do a longer movement, its move->stop->move.  that was the thing I didn't like about the system the way he has it now...I mean if you're walking down the hall you don't stop after each step you keep on going, but Mickey says its each individual move being sent to the server that causes the pause.
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Mongo

Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2012, 01:45:42 pm »
Maybe there could be some system that queues up the next step... send the next move request early so that by the time you're ready to move, the server has given the OK. I can see that being a little messy though
Shoop!

Offline Roarion

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2013, 08:10:59 am »

Possible but has lag and bandwidth issues. Every little move gets sent to server for validation then sent out to all clients in visible range. There are ways to optimize that though but it puts trust into the client which can be bad somewhat.

As far as bringing this game to a mobile platform or even windows 8 touch screens, I thought this game has a similar movement system as one I would enjoy seeing in rpgwo.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.studiomu.microventures

They keep it simple, click to move, click a monster to attack, minimal inventory on the side. Just figured I would share it because it reminded me of rpgwo a bit.
Asylum - lvl 33 Thrower
Pyramid - lvl 40 Scythe
Dementia - lvl 69 Spear
Nexus V2 - lvl 61 Stealth
Rebirth - lvl 72 Bow
Ganymede - lvl 56 Mage
Hex - lvl 1000 Admin
Future - lvl 1000 Admin
Retired - Unless V6 pulls a miracle