Author Topic: PvP (Ranged vs Melee)  (Read 3619 times)

Offline Mongo

• Attack: 91
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

• Total Badges: 29
    Badges: (View All)
    Sixth year Anniversary 10 Poll Votes Fifth year Anniversary
PvP (Ranged vs Melee)
« on: May 23, 2012, 10:17:45 am »
I never took part in V1/2 PvP. Did range classes dominate any melee? I feel like that's a huge problem many games deal with. If someone using a bow has fast movement speed, how can someone using a sword expect to compete?

Many companies focus too much on balancing PvP and they ruin it, I don't want that to happen here.. but .. could someone enlighten me?
Shoop!

Offline Novibear

• Attack: 89
    Defense: 90
    Attack Member
  • He who should be named
    • MSN Messenger - osiris8762@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email

• Total Badges: 23
    Fifth year Anniversary Karma Bad Level 5
Re: PvP (Ranged vs Melee)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 04:45:55 pm »
I am not too sure myself do ranged weapons have a normal chance of missing? would we be able to deflect shots i think the distance should effect damage  but as a meelee closes in they will still get hit as hard

i don't even know man i know i haete getting picked off from afar whether it bee ammmo or magic. since i cant do thing about it but die
I play on and off

Where'd everyone go!?

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 05:58:12 pm »
missle def is based on the same attributes as melee defense.  since melee fighters get xp from not only hitting, but also defending they get more xp overall than ranged fighter and end up with higher defenses...

and then theres stealth
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Novibear

Attack Member
  • He who should be named
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 06:41:27 pm »
but still if i cant get close enough to get a hit in he stayed just out of range i may have had a chance with a spear or light scythe. with the 2 range space.
I play on and off

Where'd everyone go!?

Offline Tokoshoran

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 11:46:28 pm »
Just go into stealth mode as the melee guy. You'll be getting the exp to put into it, after all.

Offline Novibear

Attack Member
  • He who should be named
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 12:36:15 am »
I never thought of stealth since i tend to walk up to things and hit them no cover at all
I play on and off

Where'd everyone go!?

Offline Mongo

Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 08:51:33 am »
Just go into stealth mode as the melee guy. You'll be getting the exp to put into it, after all.

So all melee's need stealth to compete with a ranged weapon?
Shoop!

Offline Kaios

• Attack: 69
    Defense: 58
    Attack Member
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 44
    50 Poll Votes 10 Poll Votes Invisible
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 10:00:43 am »
No one skill has ever dominated over another because a person had more range. I'll admit it is super annoying chasing someone around, especially if they know what they are doing. However, the same issues arise whether you are chasing a melee guy or a ranged guy.

A person can easily stay just out of your range and occasionally attack you, but it's not difficult to catch up to them and get a hit in too if you are smart about it. When a person attacks you, they have to stop. Even if it's only for a split second. Use this to your advantage.

Also, if you happen to be in an open area, try not to click to move as much. Holding the arrow or numpad keys will make you move much faster. It takes some practice but if you can work out a good combination of keyboard and click movement in a fight, you can keep up with anyone.

And never, EVER chase someone automatically using attack or follow. You will always move slower than them.

Stealth does help too of course, but I'd recommend any fighter to get it at some point on their character, ranged or melee. You don't need it to compete however.

Hope this helps.
(Insert witty signature here)

Offline Mongo

Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 10:07:00 am »
Wow.. I gotta admit, when I got an email saying "A reply has been posted to a topic you are watching by Kaios.", I expected a troll response .. but this was actually helpful.

Thanks.

As long as these systems are carried over to v4, should be OK then.
Shoop!

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 11:12:24 am »
Right, if this sysetm is carried over to V4. I do have changes planned for fundamental attack/defend and stealth needs a overhaul as well.

One of the things with missle and ranged magic was it always hit the target area so that it was always upto the target to dodge/resist the projectile. I would like to make that a 2 stage thing now: aim of attacker, dodge of defender. Plus magic has a third part: resist spell but that is if we have that again. Really depends on what magic projectiles are: are they real fire/ice/lightning/etc or are they a magic shell that delivers that elemental damage? If the first then magic resist doesn't apply, just dodging. If the second then magic resist applies.

I would like to add a Aim Skill and a maybe a Dodge Skill. Get rid of Missle and Magic Defense. Aim applies to missle and magic projectiles. Dodge applies to avoiding projectiles. Dodge may apply to melee but melee defense is more about what weapon you have in your hand which is why I want to get rid of Melee Defense and let it be based on what you have armed. Not sure what skill appies if you have a Frying Pan armed... Mace I reckon, heh.

How sheilds works needs to change too. Since we will have facing, I can code it where sheilds work as a block depending on Sheild Skill and what hand you have it in. Left hand covers left side and front, only. Right cover right and front. Nothing covers the back. Don't want sheilds just adding to AL. I want them to be active.
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Mongo

Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 11:26:18 am »
Will there be the option to dual-wield shields?

I don't know if anyone would actually do it but I'd love to see a game make this possible, haha.
Shoop!

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 11:39:14 am »
Will there be the option to dual-wield shields?

I don't know if anyone would actually do it but I'd love to see a game make this possible, haha.

Sure why not? A sheild can be used as a bash weapon with Mace Skill or if used on edge, becomes and axe/sword weapon, if the edges are sharpened. And spikes on it give it a spear or unarmed katar feel.

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 05:23:22 pm »
Right, if this sysetm is carried over to V4. I do have changes planned for fundamental attack/defend and stealth needs a overhaul as well.
why do I feel like I need to say if it aint broke don't fix it? 

I do like the idea of facing though and thats a whole new aspect to the game(would make swarms even worse) but if you're adding such things I'd also like additions to skills that allow certain types of weapons to have a broader attack...

ie:
P=Player
A=attackable
O=out of range
F=attack focus

using an axe swinging it in a horizontal
OAA
OPF
OAA

using a halberd slashing horizontally
OAOO
OAAO
OPFA
OAAO
OAOO

I suggested somewhere(can't keep up with all the stuff I've suggested) that active skills could also add a new depth to the game.  if you have those types of skills to hit multiple targets it would work better than just adding it to a basic attack...

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 05:36:50 pm »
I can see adding Area-of-Effect melee attacks like that. Like the first target gets 50% damage, then it drops from there for each target hit or stays at 50% but costs extra stamina.

Offline Novibear

Attack Member
  • He who should be named
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 04:41:14 pm »
I always wanted area effect ,melee attackles I dont see why i hsve this cool sword but tstill can only hit one chaaracter
I play on and off

Where'd everyone go!?

Offline yeahs

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2012, 07:02:34 pm »
You should spend a lot of time on pvp as it is a highlight of the rpgwo sandbox theme. Our pvp is one of the things that makes rpgwo better than haven hearth

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 11:35:55 pm »
You should spend a lot of time on pvp as it is a highlight of the rpgwo sandbox theme. Our pvp is one of the things that makes rpgwo better than haven hearth

Can you explain that in more detail please? :)

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 04:27:51 am »
he means in Haven and Hearth the weapon choices are crap, there are only 3 skills used in fighting(marksmanship, unarmed, and melee). 

marksmanship is great for animals but against an armored player(even with the most basic of armor) you do no damage.

melee is great for doing big damage, but the weapons(except for 1) pretty much all suck ass, and again minimal damage(if any) with armor

unarmed is the 1 skill everone works thier asses off to get higher, the higher your unarmed the longer you can go without being hit, and the faster you can break down your opponents defense bar.  theres no sense to the way it works there, no chance to have luck(random number generator) involved, hit or not is all about your ua level, and damage done is based on strength and/or weapon quality.

combat in that game isn't combat, its push the right buttons at the right time using the right setup...in RPGWO you can fight and kill monsters from the moment you start, while it may take a day before you can kill anything in HnH.  also in HnN you have to spend a lot of points to get to a place where you can kill someone else(even if they attacked you), you can kill someone as soon as you start here.

I think thats what he meant.  RPGWO has a great weapons variety, and a good setup for pvp(not just whoever has the best walls wins) and he wants more of it!