Author Topic: Server How To's  (Read 2265 times)

Offline Tokoshoran

Server How To's
« on: May 19, 2012, 03:29:26 pm »
Or perhaps "How Do I's"

Alright, starting up a fresh server is easy enough, just run the program. Only the v1 server is available for free, so I'll be working to understand how it works.

Here's a little FAQ it comes with:
Question: How do I setup the files?

Answer: Create a new folder and name it something like "server". Unzip the server folder in the zip file to the new folder you created. The server.exe and the .ini files should now be there.

Question: How do I create a world?

Answer: The default map size in world.ini is 400. Edit that setting if you want bigger or smaller. Warning though, only sizes in increments of 200 is recommended and been tested. So 200, 400, 600, 800, etc. Start the server.exe program. If no map data exist then ti will ask for a seed value. Maps 400 and larger get generated based on the seed. Map size 200 just get a flat map.

Question: I have an empty world... how do I add trees and crap?

Answer: There is a button on the server called "Add Content"... press that.

Question: What does "deepen ocean" button do?

Answer: um, it makes the water deeper so you can fish for deeper fish.

Question: How do I add monster wilderness spawns?

Answer: They are spaced in every 50x50 area. The chat command /monstercatagory <number> will set the spawn. The catagory numbers can be found and set in the monster.ini file. /monstersectorcatagory <number> will set a 4x4 or an entire sector.

Question: Connect to a server not on the list?

Answer: Use the Local or Specify option under the list. You will need a folder named Local.Files in the client install folder. It needs to contain the client content files for the world you are connecting.

Question: How to update the client files?

Answer: First, get all the client content files in a seperate folder. Then run the pMasterMaker program and press the Auto button. When it is done copy the master2.dat and *.zlib files to your internet/web update address.
So here's what we've got:
  • animation.ini
  • item.ini
  • itemuse.ini
  • magic.ini
  • monster.ini
  • server.exe
  • skill.ini
  • treasure.ini
  • underside.ini
  • waterside.ini
  • world.ini
Like I said above, server.exe is simple enough, but the first thing to look at would probably be world.ini. There are a lot of confusing things in here, but this is what defines the server you bring up.

I don't know what most of these things are, but I'm assuming that between those first two ;;;;;;;;;;; lines are special world rules. Can anybody tell me what all of those do? Other than that, here are a few other things you'll find lower down:
  • ;SPEEDUPGROWTH=0
    • Changing this number lets items evolve (seedlings->flowers) faster, maybe slower with decimals?
  • ;Disablemail
    • If you don't want players to be able to send messages through the /mail command, this is for you. Force them to use pencils and scrolls with billboards as mailboxes.
  • ;adminonly
    • Just testing out a server? This prevents random people from just popping in.
To turn on anything that has a ; before it, just remove the ;, and turn turn off any line that doesn't have it, put the semicolon at the start.

Server Port and Map Size are two parts you definitely want to check, if your world is popular, make sure to add plenty of server size; default ports, while simple, can also be risky.

Here's some questions I've got for people more knowledgable:
  • What are all the things between the first THREE lines of several semicolons?
  • What's Empty Mining?
  • Does Mining Depth mean how many layers down it goes?
  • What is MiningBraceSurface?
Or, perhaps, y'know, if you know something I don't, just post it for the sake of helping out anyways.

Offline Tokoshoran

Re: Server How To's
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 04:05:59 pm »
Did a quick test with some added skills. You can NOT have more than fifty skills on the skill list--Further skills after the 50th won't show up!

If you're going to add skills to skills.ini make sure you don't add more than 50. I'll have to find an alternate way around this for the sake of the server I'm working on now.

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 06:04:43 pm »
been ages since I played around in there so I don't remember what is actually written there, but I'll answer your 2nd - 4th questions

2-empty mining means you can mine an area and get nothing instead of the default ore(granite or dirt based on your set up)
3-UT once told me that did nothing and you could only do multi levels in V2(UT is fun if you bug him)
4-determines whether you have caveins and what items prevent them
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Novibear

• Attack: 89
    Defense: 90
    Attack Member
  • He who should be named
    • MSN Messenger - osiris8762@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email

• Total Badges: 23
    Fifth year Anniversary Karma Bad Level 5
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 06:28:45 pm »
this interests me
I play on and off

Where'd everyone go!?

Offline Vicious

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 07:20:50 pm »
Trying to make another V1 server is a waste of time, wait for the public release of V2 if you want to do anything. There are ALOT of limits and roadblocks with V1.
Lv. 48 Sword - ST2 [R]
Lv. 52 Dagger - 2nd Shadow [R]
Lv. 48 Mace - Ataxia [R]
Lv. 53 Mage/Xbow - Nexus V2 [R]
Lv. 64 Bower - Stormy Coast [R]
Lv. 108 Axer - Rebirth [R]
Lv. 64 Mage - Calamity [R]
Lv. 62 Mage - Fancy Lad [R]
Lv. 68 Bower - Hex [R]
LV. 77 Mage - Hex [R]

Who counts Damon?

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 09:57:35 pm »
Trying to make another V1 server is a waste of time, wait for the public release of V2 if you want to do anything. There are ALOT of limits and roadblocks with V1.
if he really plans to release V2, its a good idea to get some practice with V1...alot of the stuff is the same, so you'll have more of an idea what you're doing when/if V2 is released.
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Tokoshoran

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 10:39:34 am »
Anybody know how to unlock more than 50 skills, or is that a built-in source limitation for RPGWO?

Offline Vicious

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 03:48:26 pm »
Practice, sure but don't put time into making an actual v1 server. and no, 50 skills is an example of the limits I was talking about.
Lv. 48 Sword - ST2 [R]
Lv. 52 Dagger - 2nd Shadow [R]
Lv. 48 Mace - Ataxia [R]
Lv. 53 Mage/Xbow - Nexus V2 [R]
Lv. 64 Bower - Stormy Coast [R]
Lv. 108 Axer - Rebirth [R]
Lv. 64 Mage - Calamity [R]
Lv. 62 Mage - Fancy Lad [R]
Lv. 68 Bower - Hex [R]
LV. 77 Mage - Hex [R]

Who counts Damon?

Offline Tokoshoran

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 10:01:30 pm »
Alright, here's a reasonable question: How do you add NPCs?

Offline Tokoshoran

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 04:50:42 pm »
Yeah, like dragging fly wings over to the collector has him give you gold, I know. What I don't know is how to add those NPCs or how to script them to do that.
hmmm neither would I dood I was goign to start fiddling with the published V1 server soon

Both needing NPCs and to script them. Nobody knows how?

Offline @@Admin Nash

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 07:03:32 pm »
Um...have you been to the 3rd page in the 1.15 Servers doc u mentaion forum? There is a bunch of wolf there but people posted in there for some reason so it got buried.