Author Topic: Crafts  (Read 1852 times)

Offline Tokoshoran

Crafts
« on: May 12, 2012, 04:13:45 pm »
Otherwise, we would need multiple ingots to make all the equipment! ...Though that may not be such a bad idea, since you'd think a chestplate would take more than a wand.

Again, I don't know about V2, but in V1, you would always use one item to produce X results. Such as one set of cut lemons to make a lemon pie, that seemed kind of silly.

Now, I don't have a whole mess of ideas this time, so go ahead and post any ideas or questions for Mickey that you guys have, but here's one that I do have:

Will the server be able to look for and use multiple items in order to craft the new item? Like if we wanted to make lemon pie, we'd have to use a whole stack of sliced lemons, or to make a big sword, we might need a few heated iron ingots. Combined with an idea in the blacksmithing thread for clusters that break into a bunch of metal chunks, this could result in a very useful system.

Also: if it can search for a stack of items, will it search for different types of stacks, too? In the Tools thread, there was an idea for every little bit of the tools being separate. You would need both the Nails item, and the Hammer item to carpent (The smaller ingots idea works great for that, too!)--If it would detect tools, then detecting materials shouldn't be too far off. Making something like a jewel enlaid sword, for example, you would need the iron AND the jewels.

Which just gave me another thought: Can crafts require multiple skills? Not one per step, but something like both blacksmith and jeweler for a step.

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
Re: Crafts
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 04:32:40 pm »
this reminds me so much of the way UT set up chem in the last arc...where you needed the 100 potion bottles, 100 ground items, and 100 distilled water to make 1 type of potion(no 1 potion option), so I think its already there.  should it be used?  I say no, it causes more problems than its worth! 

as far as needing 2 skills for 1 item, your example of a jeweled weapon doesn't seem like something that would be done in 1 step.  you can't put jewels into a weapon while you're hammering it, so that idea just doesn't seem to have any merit to me.  I do like the idea of a jeweled tools and weapons(with some bonuses from the gems) but I think that would have to be done by a jeweler.  I know you're going to say it shouldn't, but I've seen a jeweled weapon made before(on american gun, the guy was making his wife a pretty gun for their anniversary).  after the guy made the basic weapon he took it to a jeweler who added the gems, he didn't try to add them himself.  having a system like this could encourage players to work together so they can have high quality smithed items and high quality gems to inlay for bonuses. 
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Kalose

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 05:43:13 pm »
in v1 you can with alot of time and effort add multi item use for creations...say you want to make bricks and it takes 2 mud and 1 small granite and a brick mold. you can have it do 2Xmud onto brick mold to have 50% filled brick mold, then use the small granite on the 50% filled brick mold to have Wet brick filled mold then set then to change over time to 20% drying brick filled mold,40% and so on until the finish product is Dry brick filled mold, and using hand on the mold takes out i dunno 4 bricks and give you the empty mold. all this would take about...10-15 seperate items in the item.ini and 4-5 uses in the itemuse.ini...so it is doable...if i ever had the time to do a thing such as this for alot of uses i would cuz the whole process of making things is too simple for my liking. but yeah..thats pretty much how it would be done.

Offline Tokoshoran

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 07:25:51 pm »
in v1 you can with alot of time and effort add multi item use for creations...say you want to make bricks and it takes 2 mud and 1 small granite and a brick mold. you can have it do 2Xmud onto brick mold to have 50% filled brick mold, then use the small granite on the 50% filled brick mold to have Wet brick filled mold then set then to change over time to 20% drying brick filled mold,40% and so on until the finish product is Dry brick filled mold, and using hand on the mold takes out i dunno 4 bricks and give you the empty mold. all this would take about...10-15 seperate items in the item.ini and 4-5 uses in the itemuse.ini...so it is doable...if i ever had the time to do a thing such as this for alot of uses i would cuz the whole process of making things is too simple for my liking. but yeah..thats pretty much how it would be done.
After reading through that a few times to understand it...
I'm saying that instead of all those steps separately, you would, say, use your hand on the mold, open up the brick type selection, and when you select one, it tells you what you require, and uses them all up at once.

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 07:31:21 pm »
why over time?  wouldn't using a heat source be better?  it would remove the need for 4 of those 12 needed items in item.ini, and still have the complexity you want.  also why not use clay for the bricks?

if you're talking something like that I have no problem with it, but UT over did it with the potion thing and thats what came to my mind.  I have no problem with complexity, it can actually make a game more fun, but when its overly complex and just becomes a chore it isn't fun for anyone.  now lets revisit the jewelled weapon idea, smithing to forge it, jeweler or smithing to guild it(can't set gems in all metals), and set the gems in the sockets?  guilding a weapon could take a bit from the mineral idea also since you wouldn't need a full ingot.  maybe 1 piece/chunk of gold gets you 1 socket on a weapon.  use another chunk/piece for next socket, higher skill needed for each socket(with a maximum of 5 sockets?) then each stone can be set(no more sockets added after first stone is added)...

now how about a change to jeweler, different types of stones give different bonuses based on combination of stones, not just a single + to skill based on a range for the type of stone?  ie: rubies set in each socket of a weapon may cause the weapon to do extra fire damage(50% of its base damage?), while all emeralds could cause poison damage, or all sapphires causing ice damage?  maybe each stone has its own effects, buta combination of multiple stones would give a different effect.

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 07:37:14 pm »
and Toko snuck in while I was typing(and watching tv) the way UT did the potions(read that as the way I hated) it was all at once that the items were needed...I'd rather see it 1 step at a time.  you can't realisticly do a dozen or so things all at once, so why not break it down into steps.  think of it like baking a cake, if you dump all the ingredients in at once instead of creaming the butter into the sugar first it won't be as fluffy. 

Offline Tokoshoran

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 09:19:10 pm »
I believe it's actually called Gild, not Guild.

But it looks like you're taking a Diablo approach to it. The range available on the jewels is because of the differing difficulties in getting each of them.

Instead, you should be able to gild the weapon once, and then the gem appears in all the slots at the same time, just like one will appear in four sides of a ring.

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 11:23:13 pm »
I like one item used with one item at a time too. Then the order of the steps become important. There are some cases where the order doesn't matter, like cooking recipes I guess. But coding the usages can be tedious to deal with all the variations. That the main reason I added subtypes to V2, not sure if V1 has subtypes. But I plan to go even farther with V4 to make it easier to add more usage.

UT got me to code on V2 some multi-usage code. I never used it.
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 04:19:10 pm »
I don't want to start a new topic for something this simple and this seems to be the best place to put it...

I would like some new crafting options for decorative items, nothing too huge.  maybe we can have pedestals(sp?) made from wood or stone that an item can be placed on to be displayed(this would work for stuff like monster parts or a neat looking suit of armor) but the item can also be removed and used then placed back...sort of like a container that only holds 1 item and its displayed in the image?

but before I go into too much detail about this type of thing, would it even be possible?

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 04:39:39 pm »
I don't want to start a new topic for something this simple and this seems to be the best place to put it...

I would like some new crafting options for decorative items, nothing too huge.  maybe we can have pedestals(sp?) made from wood or stone that an item can be placed on to be displayed(this would work for stuff like monster parts or a neat looking suit of armor) but the item can also be removed and used then placed back...sort of like a container that only holds 1 item and its displayed in the image?

but before I go into too much detail about this type of thing, would it even be possible?

Already kinda is for V2 since multi-items at a spot allowed. Just have to place them down in right order. But for V4 we can do it better. Even glass chests/containers that show what is in them probably.
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Tokoshoran

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 05:50:27 pm »
In such a case, would items be resembled as a shrunken-pixels sprite? The sprites seem to be pixel-by-pixel as it is, but even so, they're fairly big pixels, that can be counted as, say, nine pixels per dot. That allows for a 67% or 33% size image of them.

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 10:33:24 pm »
though I loved the stacking items on the ground thing(if you sit an anvil down first you can put several containers in 1 spot and your house doesn't look as cluttered) I think thats a cheap way to make this work and would cause problems in a throne room when the item is near a wall. :P  glass display cases sound awesome though...

I'm not sure if it was you or UT, but someone added a 'hunting' skill to a server where sometimes when a monster was killed it would leave a corpse that could be 'skinned' to get different items(almost sure it was UT).  I think an idea similar to that could add some other fun things to the game.  instead of collecting ears eyes and antena (only 3 I remember right off hand), maybe we can collect mosnter heads.  what house wouldn't look awesome with drake heads mounted on the wall? 

so now I want pedestals, wall mounts, mannequins(armor only?) and display cases.  I also want decorative equipment made of monster parts* and monster heads to display on my wall. 

bear claws on the shoulders would look awesome
a wolf head in the helmet spot would look neat too

or those types of items could be added to the equipment you'd have in that slot for a bonus?  ie: bear claws on pauldrons look awesome and give a small strength bonus?