• My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

• Total Badges: 29
    Badges: (View All)
    Sixth year Anniversary 10 Poll Votes Fifth year Anniversary
Re: Magic
« Reply #100 on: July 10, 2012, 09:36:46 pm »
Haha, spell name.. yeah. True, there should be a box for that.

2: Not .. really sure what you mean. In the scenario you're suggesting, the instant damage to self would have to come first .. to ensure it actually is able to take effect. OR .. it takes effect when the channel is over (canceled or allowed to run the duration).

C: Yeah, that's right. "Party" or "Group" would have to be made a target. Self-Location with a radius of 3 or so would be able to affect a good area around you, but if you wanted to target all party members within a radius and not enemies, another would be needed. That's good though.. the more there are, the more there is for players to discover.

Δ: Yes.. yes... unless the transform is actually a 'buff' that has an infinite duration.
Shoop!

Offline Novibear

• Attack: 89
    Defense: 90
    Attack Member
  • He who should be named
    • MSN Messenger - osiris8762@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email

• Total Badges: 23
    Fifth year Anniversary Karma Bad Level 5
« Reply #101 on: July 10, 2012, 09:44:10 pm »
I love playting a priest type character in games
I play on and off

Where'd everyone go!?

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #102 on: July 10, 2012, 11:29:59 pm »
2: Not .. really sure what you mean. In the scenario you're suggesting, the instant damage to self would have to come first .. to ensure it actually is able to take effect. OR .. it takes effect when the channel is over (canceled or allowed to run the duration).

your scenario used self damage and damage over time(to self) to lower mana costs if your dot is to an enemy, not yourself, and you make it so 2 things that lower mana will cancel each other out then you're penalizing yourself when you take full damage to self and damage to enemy over time...think this is just a weird wording issue, so lets try this:

your spell: spell causes damage to self that is done over time while damaging enemy
my spell:  spell causes damage to self and damages enemy but that damage is over time

in your spell if the damage over time and damage to self don't give a bonus it seems ok because there might be a way to get low skill level/mana cost spells and cheat to not take the penalties

my spell you take the damage, and your target gets the damage over time not you, so you're taking a double penalty to your spell so you should definitely get a break on skill/mana cost to cast...

and how dare you actually keep up with the way I listed that :P lol
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Mongo

• Attack: 91
    Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2012, 08:36:14 am »
in your spell if the damage over time and damage to self don't give a bonus it seems ok because there might be a way to get low skill level/mana cost spells and cheat to not take the penalties

HMM.. not really sure what I was thinking with this

Quote from: Mongo
Also, could make it so two negative effects makes a positive (meaning, if a "channel" is applied to "damage self", it actually adds to the mana cost rather than reducing it. Makes sense this way)

That doesn't make sense AT ALL. Why would damaging myself over time ADD to the spell cost? It's still a negative effect, even if it is lessened.

The only way I can see my initial spell working is if the instant damage is done after the channel completes (if it is canceled, it is not done).

my spell you take the damage, and your target gets the damage over time not you, so you're taking a double penalty to your spell so you should definitely get a break on skill/mana cost to cast...
The instant damage to self should absolutely cause the spell to cost less.
Modifying the damage spell to be a DoT instead lowers the base cost.

Let's give numbers to it, for example.

1) Add effect, damage enemy. Cost: 10 mana
2) Apply modifier, extended effect. 30% cost reduction. Cost: 7 mana
3) Add effect, damage self. 20% cost recuction. Cost: 5 mana

Please note these numbers are just thrown in there. Point is the damage is what adds most of the mana, the dot lowers it a bit and the damage to self lowers it too.
To ensure the player takes the damage, the player should take it immediately.

In closing, if you add a damage-self effect to a spell to lower the cost, if it is instant it happens immediately. If it is over time, all other instant effects are pushed to after the duration on the damage-self completes.

I'm sure this could be worded better but it makes sense in my head. The idea is making sure the player always gets hurt first so they can't exploit the system.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 08:37:53 am by Mongo »
Shoop!

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2012, 09:16:16 am »
I could see the damage self over time working more like poison does now...allowing you to have your instant effect on target, but taking a negative buff that doesn't go away. 

it would suck to have to stand still for 10 seconds while being attacked by a monster, knowing your attack will kill that monster, but taking damage from that monster and your spell kills you instead...while if your attack goes instant the monster dies and you still take the damage from the spell(but you're alive at the end).

and I just noticed 2 more things that won't fit in your version of the spell generator thingy:

A)stamina to mana - no way to set the damage to go to stamina and give you mana...but should be an easy work around if you add a  subtarget(this could probably replace the [type] selection)
ie:
target->subtarget
self->stamina
other->stamina(stam damage to enemy)
other->life(normal attack)
oher->transform(golems)
group->life

2)renewals - could be set similar to dot, but would ware out way faster than it should...I don't see a way to set it with your system

Offline Mongo

Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2012, 09:30:18 am »
How about this: If you have a CHANNELED damage to self, the damage to the enemy only happens after the channel successfully ends. If it's just a normal DoT, then you apply the dot to yourself instantly then deal the damage to the enemy. You are then forced to take the rest of the damage as there's no way to cancel it.

A) Yeah.. Maybe instead of "Health Modifier", it's a "Vitals Modifier" and you can choose between health, mana, and stamina.

Then, just make a spell that has 2 effects.
- Damage 10 stamina
- Add 10 mana

Might require that you take more stamina to bring the mana cost to 0, otherwise there's no point.

2) What about the "Added Effect" type? That could easily be used to apply a buff

Buff could be 'Liferenewal' - Add X life every Y seconds for Z seconds
Only thing I don't see is a place to define Z unless the debuff length is hardcoded (don't like that).
Shoop!

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2012, 10:20:19 am »
meh ok

as far as renewals, they're usually not time based, but based on the amount recovered...ie 6 stam renewal gives you an additional 6 stam per tick, but doesn't count ticks when your stam is full

but adding buff and renewal(and maybe a few other things) to type could fix that...

and now I'm going to bed so don't expect any more on this discussion from me today :P

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2012, 01:22:16 pm »
Well, nothing is getting implemented for a while yet, like 2-3 months the soonest, so no real choices have to be made.

It would be nice, in the meantime, to develop a prototype interface to actually see something tangible. Something in C# or silverlight or even HTML would be nice, if anyone is upto it. Else I will do something.
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #108 on: July 11, 2012, 03:54:49 pm »
how compatible is C# with C++?  I know alot of the C stuff works in C++ so sort of curious(and too lazy/cheap to update to C#).  if its compatible enough for you, I could do it...but it won't be pretty

Offline Mongo

Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #109 on: July 11, 2012, 03:58:13 pm »
I can't see why it would matter what it was done in. I started making something in javascript (it's probably the only thing I can get away with at work) but then I started getting swamped with calls from hospitals about how they can't access patient records. Pfft.

Also, I realized since I haven't touched javascript in .. 8 years... I'm pretty much awful with it.
Shoop!

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2012, 04:21:31 pm »
Doesn't matter what you use to express the idea just as long as it is visual. It doesn't even have to give a result.
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!