Author Topic: equip slots/armor akwardness  (Read 5871 times)

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
equip slots/armor akwardness
« on: May 04, 2012, 12:51:31 am »
Mickey said this needed a new topic, so lets start with what I posted in the other thread:
On the subject of armor, it does take knowledge to understand how to attach separate pieces; otherwise you'll have a shoulder-guard attached to a shoulder-guard. Better armor has more parts, for increased maneuverability with the protection, or more layers of protection without a loss of maneuverability.
lol thats something that could change in game also...a bulky plate armor could reduce attack/movement speed, while something easier to use(leather?) wouldn't. 

this could add a new depth to the game if each type of armor had an akwardness value, and could even give a reason for more variety in armor types, ie:
steel chain -50 run +0.75 attack speed
steel scale -50 run +1.0 attack speed
steel plate -50 run +1.5 attack speed
articulated steel plate -50 run +0.5 attack speed
studded leather +0.05 attack speed
double leather/lamelar +0.2 attack speed

penalty to run based on weight of armor, so same metal same run penalty.  penalty on attack speed based on design of armor, easier it is to move around the less it bothers you during an attack.  heavier metals protect more but cause you to run slower, while the style of the armor affects how well you can swing your weapon...

you could also add more armor slots, meaning instead of just using 1 big main piece of armor a person could use a cuirass or hauberk to cover the torso, pauldrons to protect the shoulders, bracers to cover the arms, and guantlets to protect the hands.  the more stuff you have the more protected you are, but its a trade off against movement and attack speed. 

to get around having attack speeds too slow you could have higher skill increasing attack speeds, maybe get a .2 every 10 skill levels(based on type of weapon of course daggers would be fastest, clubs/hammers slowest).  this way it also adds more to pvp, it won't just be who has what skill, but how they actually use that skill...to cover defenses or to go all out beserker style.

I never use armor(I walk around naked most of the time) so seeing some guy in full steel/magma/damon plate armor go zooming past me always makes me chuckle a bit...

@Mongo sorry to segway your topic it just sort of hit me from what Toko said

basicly what I'm proposing are more armor slots, but a penalty to speed for using more armor.  the slots would be:
replace chest slot with torso, shoulders, upper-arms, lower-arms, and hands
replace legs slot with waist, groin, thighs, lower-leg, and feet
replace helmet spot with face, neck, and head

you don't have to fill each slot, but based on what you put in each slot you'll change the amount of damage you receive from attacks(down to 0 if you have awesome armor) but in return for the great armor you'd be slowed down when running and attack slower(shouldn't even be a problem past 300 run ::)).  this could work along with Mickey's idea to add different types of equipment also, if you can get copper guantlets with a bonus that makes them as strong as iron and iron gives a larger penalty to run you would still use the copper...

most of that last sentence was rambling, so add your thoughts now :-X
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Mongo

• Attack: 91
    Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

• Total Badges: 29
    Sixth year Anniversary 10 Poll Votes Fifth year Anniversary
Re: equip slots/armor akwardness
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 08:38:43 am »
Two things.

1:
groin
lol.

and 2:

you don't have to fill each slot, but based on what you put in each slot you'll change the amount of damage you receive from attacks(down to 0 if you have awesome armor)

Down to 0? That should never be possible. If you will never take damage, it hardly matters how slow you move/attack.

I suppose the only balancing factor there would be stamina loss which would eventually kill you.
Shoop!

Offline Zachariel

• Attack: 89
    Defense: 88
    Attack Member
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 17
    Windows User Topic Starter Combination
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 11:18:17 am »
I like "crotch" better.

Offline Mongo

Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 11:19:57 am »
Codpiece
Shoop!

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 11:41:47 am »
Jewel Guard
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 11:14:06 pm »
facepalm ok I could have worded that better...forgot everyone here has the mind of a 9 year old, but athletic support just didn't seem to fit

2:

you don't have to fill each slot, but based on what you put in each slot you'll change the amount of damage you receive from attacks(down to 0 if you have awesome armor)

Down to 0? That should never be possible. If you will never take damage, it toughly matters how slow you move/attack.

I suppose the only balancing factor there would be stamina loss which would eventually kill you.
really think a guy with 13 pieces of awesomely crafted damon armor equipped should take damage from some mid tier monster(orc? I'm not a fighter) that got lucky enough to land a hit on him?

Offline Mongo

Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 11:29:19 pm »
facepalm ok I could have worded that better...forgot everyone here has the mind of a 9 year old, but athletic support just didn't seem to fit

Haha relax, just having fun
Shoop!

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 09:15:04 am »
just saw that episode of mythbusters where they tested paper armor against steel scale(don't ask why I'm watching reruns of mythbusters I just am) another idea for lighweight durable armors :P

it was just as durable as the steel and the tests they did showed how much the steel slowed him down.  maybe we can add different types of materials to the armor category and maybe even some composites :-\

what really popped into my head were things like:

heavilly stitched clothed(in layers), things like that were often worn under metal armor since an arrow easilly penetrated steel plate but wouldn't go through the layered cloth.  I can't remember what its called, but its 1 of those things thats really light weight and can take a beating.

Haha relax, just having fun
so was I...notice I said everyone(that includes me)

Offline Zachariel

Attack Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 09:56:54 am »
I want bedliner armor in modern world. It's better than Daemon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnsZFb1dDSA

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 12:12:11 pm »
that does look bad assed...and yea thats what I'm trying to get at, we can have strong light armors, but the best armors will still be heavy so there is that trade-off between being a tank and (whats the word for the guy who does all the hitting in the hack and slash games?)

Offline Zachariel

Attack Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 01:09:22 pm »
I usually go for DPS (Damage Per Second) class.

Offline Tokoshoran

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 02:08:00 pm »
If we implement this, will tanks be able to somehow taunt the enemies to charge at them instead of the DPS guy? What I'm picturing is you've got a thief, a ranger, and a walking wall of steel. The thief and the ranger can attack quickly, but they also die quickly if they're targeted.

If the tank can shamble a couple of spaces ahead and do some warshout to gain the attention of all the mobs, the thief can rush in and do his little dagger dance while the ranger rains death from above, neither having to worry about dying at all.

Offline Zachariel

Attack Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 02:17:45 pm »
A while ago you people were fervently against giving players
character templates (eg. Knight) depending on their skill levels
and now you are basically suggesting what i did, separating
players into labeled boxes.
If you want to do this successfully though,there have to be many boxes,
so it does not get boring. I propose that the game AI do this
depending on the character skills and attributes?

Offline Tokoshoran

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 02:39:56 pm »
I think it's more of your choices through the initial mission, Zach, than something you choose from the start. "Oh, we could build some walls to keep them out" versus "Just shoot them before they arrive" or something.

You would initially choose one job--this chooses your stat preference. This could probably be from all the trades and weapon talents (This could be done at the character creation screen).

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 12:47:35 am »
well my idea doesn't force anyone into any role it just gives them that option to be the high damage guy, the high defence guy, or right in the middle.  the player chooses which way they want to play, and changing their mind is as simple as going back home to re-equip.  lots of armor = high defense/slow attack while little armor = low defense/fast attack...

I suggested 13 slots:
someone with huge clunky armor in each slot would move really slow, take almost no damage, and attack very slowly.
someone with huge clunky armors in some slots would move slower than normal, take reduced damage, and attack slower than normal.
someone with lighter armors in each slot would move slower than normal, take reduced damage, and attack slower than normal.
someone with absolutely no armor in any slot would move at full speed, take full damage, and attack as fast as their weapon allows.

if your defense is high enough that you have no chance of being hit by the monsters you're fighting(doing a low level quest because you need an item?) why not have the option to run in naked and attack faster?  if you're going against a tougher monster you haven't faced before and want to take some precautions why not have the option to put a thick layer of armor over every part of your body you can?

I'm not offering a plan where you have to pick a class, I'm offering a plan where you get to choose how you fight.  it adds a little depth to the game instead of just equipping best armor, best weapon, and clicking the attack button...

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2012, 12:52:01 am »
also since I put equip slots as part of the title to this thread I'll make this suggestion here:

currently we have a weapon slot and a shield slot, can we have those changed to main hand and off hand?  this way it allows people to dual weild weapons.  I'd like a penalty to off hand(need 25 skill more than weapon requires?) but the chance to equip 2 weapons instead of a shield and weapon also goes along with the options I was hoping more armor slots would add...more choice in how we play!

Offline Tokoshoran

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2012, 09:36:22 am »
Off-hand can be so much more than just a shield or a weapon, though at the moment nothing's comming to me.

If we have 13 armor slots, will they go into the three categories of Lower, Middle, and Upper still? I'd imagine you'd have more armor for your middle portion and less for the head, meaning that when your head is hit, the equipment breaks faster, but with the chest, it's spreading across more pieces. This would compensate for the frequently targeted chest.

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2012, 10:18:47 pm »
I guess off hand could be used for other things, I can't think of any...

and the 13 pieces I suggested are in the original post, there were 5 for torso, 5 for lower body, and 3 for the head(and those were just general ideas, was hoping others might expand on it, but everyone got stuck on groin)

Offline Tokoshoran

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2012, 10:59:45 pm »
I guess off hand could be used for other things, I can't think of any...

and the 13 pieces I suggested are in the original post, there were 5 for torso, 5 for lower body, and 3 for the head(and those were just general ideas, was hoping others might expand on it, but everyone got stuck on groin)

Oh, now that I look back it does all make sense.
Torso could be expanded to have front and back, and more clothing could be added (let's give tailor more purpose, people!), like pants and socks.

I mean seriously we're running around barefooted here you'd expect that to have some consequences, right? Besides, if V4 includes V2's multiple underground layers, maybe I'm thinking this through all wrong, but to me, it'd make sense to get colder and colder lower down; more clothing helps you keep warm enough.

That, and do you expect people to wear scale or chainmails over bare skin? Ouch!

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2012, 11:52:53 pm »
deeper you go the hotter it gets...most planets have a molten coreof course the 1st and 2nd layers(depending on actual depth) would probably  be colder than surface.

I do like the extra clothing spots idea.  a place for other items to keep you warm when its cold or to keep your armor from pinching you would be nice. 

I also have an idea for offhand, torches/lanterns.  if you're holding it you'll have more light and be able to see farther than just having it with you in your inventory...this could also mean if you're fighting and have a torch equipped in your offhand you may do some fire damage to whatever you're attacking along with your normal damage, but would that mean with a lantern equipped it could be broken and cause fire damage to you?