Author Topic: Food chilling  (Read 4137 times)

Offline Tokoshoran

Re: Food chilling
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2012, 12:38:46 pm »
What are we trying to do, turn it steampunk?

Not that I would mind a steampunk server, but that's for the specific server, not the game itself.

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 06:06:42 am »
all of you just said ice...I was trying to get an actual plan for it not just the basic idea of cooling food to keep it from rotting. 

if we just go on ice in a container: where do you get the ice?  can you make ice yourself?  if its only harvestable during winter, how do you keep it from melting til the next year when you can get more? 

I was trying to offer an alternative to needing ice(since I can't really figure out a way for ice to work).  you don't like my alternative food preservation ideas, you don't like my 'fridge' idea, but your idea was just there should be this, and no actual way for it to work...how about an idea on how it will work then, instead of just saying no to mine?
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Mongo

• Attack: 91
    Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

• Total Badges: 29
    Sixth year Anniversary 10 Poll Votes Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 07:52:56 am »
I don't know what the 'ideal' solution is, but I imagine it is much simpler than a technology-based idea.

Either:
1) A box stored in a cool location
or
2) Putting a 'cooling object' in a box to cool the other contents. Cooling object could be snow, ice, or some magical cold thing.
Shoop!

Offline Tokoshoran

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 12:11:37 pm »
Maybe blue mages can make Magickal Ice Blocks, which, in the inventory or on the ground will melt over time, but in a box, preserves itself as well as the food.

Offline Tokoshoran

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 12:12:01 pm »
And yes I know somebody mentioned that before but it seems to have been skipped over. It's a good idea.

Offline Tokoshoran

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2012, 12:21:17 pm »
(Sorry for the triple post...)
Looking back, it was apparently Mickey himself who suggested it. And me myself who got everybody to skip over it. Feels bad, man, making everybody ignore the creator :(

Offline Novibear

• Attack: 89
    Defense: 90
    Attack Member
  • He who should be named
    • MSN Messenger - osiris8762@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email

• Total Badges: 23
    Fifth year Anniversary Karma Bad Level 5
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2012, 01:40:08 pm »
lol what i too thought of magic or something of the sort
I play on and off

Where'd everyone go!?

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2012, 04:02:33 am »
I don't know, using blue magic to make ice seems like its going to make the skill a tad too powerful(already have golems)...how about ice oil on a bucket of water?  ice oil is relatively cheap once you get alchemy going(and mostly useless), and a bucket of water isn't even worth mentioning.  alchemy to make the oil, but no skill involved in freezing the water? 

I'd still rather see a certain type of container for the ice, not just allowing any container to hold the ice and keep it from melting...also there would need to be some decay for the ice even inside that container, starting at a full block of ice, then melting into 3/4->half->1/4 then nothing.  if it melts all at once it won't give us time to notice and prepare more. 

Offline Tokoshoran

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2012, 11:33:23 am »
Ice oil on a bucket of water does sound useful, and on a bucket of water without any skill makes it easy to use...

But then there should be an advanced ice block from distilled water. Even if its effects aren't very much of an improvement, I feel that the bucket of water is already more useful than the distilled water, which I have found zero use for.

As for the ice-decay, maybe when we add an ice block to it, it immediately kills the ice block and fills up a meter? That way you could put in two ice blocks at once and the second one would be preserved until the first one dies off, at which point the second one refills the meter.

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2012, 05:40:51 pm »
As for the ice-decay, maybe when we add an ice block to it, it immediately kills the ice block and fills up a meter? That way you could put in two ice blocks at once and the second one would be preserved until the first one dies off, at which point the second one refills the meter.
you all said my first idea doesn't fit because its not period, now you want 1 block of ice not to melt just because theres another 1 there? ::) :P

I like the single block option though I can see problems with it if you can't get online a few days(which of course is why we should still have other methods of food preservation)

maybe distilled water would make pristine ice which lasts longer.  distilled water has some uses, just depends on the server...and even if it doesn't have any real uses hotkeying use bucket underneath and repeat last use to make a ton of distilled water is still a great way to get some alchemy levels