Author Topic: The World  (Read 3436 times)

Offline Mongo

• Attack: 91
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

• Total Badges: 29
    Badges: (View All)
    Sixth year Anniversary 10 Poll Votes Fifth year Anniversary
The World
« on: April 25, 2012, 12:25:07 pm »
Some general thoughts I had on what the world might look and feel like

Environments
There should be several types of environments, each with their own effects. There should be positive and negative effects for each.
   Plains
      The most temperate of climates, many common plants found here. Water sources are scattered around, mostly isolated lakes. Movement speed is unaffected in these areas.
   Fields
      Smaller area, more dry than the plains. Tall plants obstruct vision of ground-level objects and critters and lower movement speed slightly.
   Jungle
      Lush and humid, the jungle is a dangerous place with many hiding spots for critters. Rare jungle plants can be found here but the environment is not accomidating of passing travelers. Even the plant life is dangerous and must be navigated with caution. Several running water sources can be found here. Jungles can be fairly large.
   Snowy
      As you approach the northen lands, snow-covered areas are more abundant. Unless specifically equipped to traverse through the snow, your speed is reduced. The cold temperatures make it hard to focus and mana regeneration is lowered. The area is a hunter's paradise as the snow leads clear tracks to critters.
   Desert
      This area is dry. The sun beats down on you as you traverse the sands, hoping not to stir up any creatures buried underneith. Water sources are sparse although the rare oasis is usually a good place to find wildlife.
   Swamp
      Vision is obstructed in this area as a fog rolls through. Although water is abundant, it is not safe to consume.
   Forest
      The biggest trees in the world will be found in these areas, however the wildlife may become aggressive should you decide to harvest them. Running streams and rivers are often found in this area. The temperature is cooler as the sun cannot easily penetrate the treetop canopy.
   Rocky
      Often in more mountainous areas, the rocky lands were created after years of natural earth movements. It can be easy to spot ore in these areas but it's just as easy to fall off a cliff.
   Tropic
      In some of the southern regions these tropical areas are home to palm trees, beaches, and a very warm atmosphere.

NOTES: I realize many of these areas sound just awful and would deter people from ever wanting to explore or live there, so more consideration would have to be put into their properties.
      Other things that could be considered for each:
         - Improved / Reduced Effects
            For example, in the jungle area, all life-based spells could be increased in effectiveness.
            In the snow area, fire-based- spells could be more potient but the frigid cold lowers mana regen.
            Just stuff like that to improve or lower skills and effects based on your area
         - Building appeal
            What would make one area more appealing to build in than another?

Weather
   Clear
      A bright, sunny day.
   Fog
      Vision reduced by 50%.
      Chance to hit reduced.
   Rain
      Vision reduced by 20%.
      Rapid plant growth.
   Snow
      Vision reduced by 20%.
      Rapid plant death.

Events
   Attack
      A nearby pack of NPC's decides to assault your house or settlement.
   War
      An NPC owned city declares war on a settlement/city
   Instances?
      A dungeon is randomly generated. The entrance is sealed once a player gets 30% of the way through.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways, just notes I had jotted down. As always, they're just thoughts and ideas.
Shoop!

Offline Novibear

• Attack: 89
    Defense: 90
    Attack Member
  • He who should be named
    • MSN Messenger - osiris8762@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email

• Total Badges: 23
    Fifth year Anniversary Karma Bad Level 5
Re: The World
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 02:08:16 pm »
I like the dungeon instances I remember in one server admins would drop warps hat had challenging dungeons that would have good loot and weither close when the closed or at a five player max.
I play on and off

Where'd everyone go!?

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 06:13:47 pm »
facepalms

as soon as I read your first terrain type Civ popped in my head, then seeing the speed delay options made me think of it even more...

we sort of already have the snow thing(it snows way too much in this game), and the rest though they sound neat wouldn't really give any extra playability to the game or make it more fun but would be a pain to code. 

I like the idea of weather effects causing different effects, but your effects are sort of overkill.  if plants die in the snow(and it snows in this game from fall to spring and sometimes even in summer) when would anyone plant?  how would you ever afford potions?  if the game starts in january(as it always does) and the snow is killing the wild plants, how will we get seeds to plant anything?  again I like the idea of weather effects, but they need to be muted a bit from what you're suggesting.
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Mongo

Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 09:10:16 am »
I've actually never played any Civ game.

The idea is to have a really diverse world not just hill.. water.. hill.. some trees over here .. hill.... ocean...

I don't think it would be too bad to code. You would have a 'zone' object defined by plants, objects, monsters, and effects. The rest is just defining however many zones. Adjusting the sizes might be more annoying.. and syncing up rivers and stuff might even need to be done manually.

I imagine some plants could survive in snow, but for the most part yeah.. I think plants dying in snow is just fine and dandy. Means you gotta protect your crops if you want to grow in the winter.. potion prices will shoot up due to limited supply and now you have a fluctuating market which is more fun.
Shoop!

Offline Mongo

Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 10:52:51 am »
Sorry for double post but .. I guess I don't have an 'edit' button yet.

Plot Land

I feel like in past servers, plot land was used for the central town and 1 or 2 questing areas. Sometimes used to protect a road going through the world.
Later, I saw it used for more areas like dungeons.

Honestly, I'd like to see a lot more plot land in the world... without plot land, the world just becomes a Sim City of crappy houses... half the world exploration is just trying to navigate through tons of houses built side-by-side.

Exploration should be dangerous. I should be in my house, gather up some food, supplies, put on some armor and venture our into the world. If and when I return, it should be an accomplishment. I went out, I killed, I explored, I found treasure, and I made it back home with it.

The dungeons in one of the servers I played kind of had this feel.. once you entered, the only way out was through the exit at the end.. but it would be nice to see this in the world.

I like when things are a challenge. I want the satisfaction of going out, taking risks, and coming back alive. This means there needs to be challenging areas and death has to mean something.

I feel like I've gotten off track of my original point. Oh well. I love a randomly generated world but I think it needs to be augmented with designed plot land to provide an adequate challenge for players seeking it.

Also, monsters should 'see' as far as players. If you can see a monster (its on your screen), it should see you.
Shoop!

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 06:00:33 pm »
I imagine some plants could survive in snow, but for the most part yeah.. I think plants dying in snow is just fine and dandy. Means you gotta protect your crops if you want to grow in the winter.. potion prices will shoot up due to limited supply and now you have a fluctuating market which is more fun.
again a new server almost always starts in january.  in january in the game theres almost always snow on the ground.  the only way to get seeds to plant is to go out and find plants growing in the wild.  if plants die in snow, those wild plants would die, and there would be no plants to harvest and no seeds to replant them!  that means unless the way potions are made is drasticly changed, there would be no potions for plants that can't survive in snow...that means not even ice oil since shrooms can't take the cold!

I'm all for adding neat new stuff to the game to make it more fun, and even more challenging, but to completely remove a part of the game that is pretty much at the game's center isn't the way to do it.

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 06:05:57 pm »
Plants don't die in winter. The roots would still be ok and sprout up when it warms up. Or invisible seeds would be used.
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 06:11:33 pm »
Plants don't die in winter. The roots would still be ok and sprout up when it warms up. Or invisible seeds would be used.
that would be fine...but thats not what he wants, he wants full plant death.

Offline Mongo

Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 08:27:49 pm »
They're just ideas, it's not about what I want.
Shoop!

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 10:24:29 pm »
facepalms

and yes I had to make a post just for that

Offline Tokoshoran

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 04:14:43 pm »
Also, I had suggested that [higher floors] cast a shadow under them. If rain is added, having a layer built above could protect from the rain, too, giving purpose to building a layer above even if you don't use it.

If there are weather conditions that can have varying effects on the player, then there should be shelter as well. Even without upper levels, a way to make a roof up on the surface would be nice. Would a spot where you use planks or tiny rocks on to make a floor count as a roofed spot?

I would hope that in the event of placing a floor stopping weather the /floor command doesn't count, since that's the command used for roads and stuff.

Snow should also cause the character to feel colder, requiring warming clothing or nearby braziers.
Rain could give a character a cold, lowering all regenerations.

Areas near a volcano could have Ash Storms, which have the same effects you listed for snow, but don't give a lower temperature.
Tempests could be another weather, lowering player move speed and distorting the messages said by other players.
Earthquakes could randomly move about moveable items(This weather would be rare and short-lasted).

Offline Mongo

Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 04:21:46 pm »
If there are weather conditions that can have varying effects on the player, then there should be shelter as well.

A greenhouse would be nice.. but I'd imagine it should be hard to make.
Shoop!

Offline Mongo

Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 04:22:44 pm »
Oh.. you mean shelter for players... yeah...
Shoop!

Offline Tokoshoran

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 05:21:17 pm »
Oh.. you mean shelter for players... yeah...
If there are weather conditions that can have varying effects on the player, then there should be shelter as well.
A greenhouse would be nice.. but I'd imagine it should be tough to make.
It may not have been what I was talking about, but a Greenhouse would be very helpful to protect plants from the outside weather.

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 06:53:04 pm »
Hmm, like if items are protected from elements then they slowly loose quality then break or die. Would like to have roofs. And underground areas should have issues too like with water seepage causes mold and decay or something.

Offline Tokoshoran

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 09:13:12 pm »
Hmm, like if items are protected from elements then they slowly loose quality then break or die. Would like to have roofs. And underground areas should have issues too like with water seepage causes mold and decay or something.

I don't get why being protected from the elements damages the tools. Wouldn't it be the other way around? Install some flooring, walls, and a floor on the layer above to function as a roof, everything's safe.

Offline Mongo

Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 08:04:48 am »

I don't get why being protected from the elements damages the tools. Wouldn't it be the other way around? Install some flooring, walls, and a floor on the layer above to function as a roof, everything's safe.

I'd imagine it's because you shouldn't be able to build something then have things be protected 100% for life. You'd need some kind of upkeep.
Shoop!

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 11:04:46 am »
Sorry, I meant anything NOT protected, exposed, is at risk.